Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Entry-level dSLR Recommendations

Old 06-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Siddig
Its OK to leave the lens on the body. Just make sure its packed away safely.

IMO, a lot of you guys are wasting money running right out and buying a 2nd battery. In all the digicams I've ever had, including a DSLR I have only ever had to buy a 2nd battery once. The reason for that was to replace to the original battery which had finally lost its ability to hold a charge anymore. I've had my Nikon D100 for a long time, and I've ever only had one battery. It holds a very LONG charge. In all honesty I rarely charge. Only when I know I will be using the camera all day.

I would only recommend buying a 2nd battery if you are getting paid jobs with your camera, and then you always want to have a back up.
I respectfully disagree. I have been grateful for a second battery more than once. Especially when on vacation, and using the camera a lot - it's good to be able to put one on the charger while you're out all day, then have a fresh one for the evening without waiting for the other to charge.

Also, when shooting in very cold temperatures, the battery will drain much faster. I drained one in 2 hours shooting in the snow this winter. It is very inexpensive, as peace of mind goes.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wndrlst
I respectfully disagree. I have been grateful for a second battery more than once. Especially when on vacation, and using the camera a lot - it's good to be able to put one on the charger while you're out all day, then have a fresh one for the evening without waiting for the other to charge.

Also, when shooting in very cold temperatures, the battery will drain much faster. I drained one in 2 hours shooting in the snow this winter. It is very inexpensive, as peace of mind goes.

We all have our own opinions and ways of working. Yes, the cold drains batteries much more quick, even when not in use. And I never use a flash. I also don't shoot 700 pics in one session That's way too much crap to weed through. To me its just one of those accessories I don't buy until I need it, and knock on wood, I have never needed it.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Involuntary Karatechopper

I got an extra battery with the package like Mizouse got -- and I figure the battery will come in handy "just in case". Personally, I'd rather be overprepared than underprepared. But you're right -- that's an opinion thing.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NumberFive
Ok, so I bit the bullet and bought a dSLR. My buddy wanted much more than I wanted to spend for my first dSLR ($1200 for the D200 body, $100 for the prime lens, then everything else on top of that).

So I picked up the following for under 1k:
Rebel XTi
Canon 18-55 AF kit lens
Canon 75-300 AF zoom lens
2GB Extreme III CF
Canon Camera Bag
Extra battery
UV/haze filter

I figure learning with these two lenses will be good, then I'll ebay them and get a nice prime/zoom (and eventually a nice AF macro lens).

Thanks for the assistance, guys! I'll post my first pics tonight or tomorrow, critiques/suggestions welcome.

congrats, I have been lurking in this thread. Been wanting to take the plunge myself he in a few months. Where did you end up purchasing at?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 PM

There was a sale going on at Best Buy, actually. All and all, not a bad deal -- comparable price-wise to online shops.

And make sure you let us know what you get when you do take the plunge. What kind of pictures do you want to take?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM

An interesting question came up when someone was looking at the pictures I posted -- what's a good site or resource for self-taught photography? Are there some good sites online for that, or should we really be taking photography classes and talking with experts on the topic?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:49 AM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

^^ I've been reading some reviews & guide from www.kenrockwell.com
His website seems to be one of the most helpful photosite I've found so far.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 AM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gdubb
Where did you end up purchasing at?
B&H photo video, Adorama, & Amazon.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:25 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
An interesting question came up when someone was looking at the pictures I posted -- what's a good site or resource for self-taught photography? Are there some good sites online for that, or should we really be taking photography classes and talking with experts on the topic?

I have a couple sites bookmarked on my home computer, when I get home tomorrow I'll try and remember to post them. Also get the book Understanding Exposure, you can get it from amazon.com for $15.00. It will help you out.

I've been taking a class (b&w film, but they offer so much more) at Washington Photo School, in Bethesda, Md. I found it using , I just type the phrase
photo school+washing ton, d.c. and :pow:. Give it a try for your area. Also check with your local camera stores, they may have some classes to attend.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Racer

.. I haven't been around AZ for a while, but finding this thread is wierd because i'm looking at picking up an XTI and was mulling over it for a while. But it seems everyone has a good opinion of them, makes my decision alot easier....
Old 06-17-2007, 11:06 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I have a couple sites bookmarked on my home computer, when I get home tomorrow I'll try and remember to post them. Also get the book Understanding Exposure, you can get it from amazon.com for $15.00. It will help you out.

I've been taking a class (b&w film, but they offer so much more) at Washington Photo School, in Bethesda, Md. I found it using , I just type the phrase
photo school+washing ton, d.c. and :pow:. Give it a try for your area. Also check with your local camera stores, they may have some classes to attend.

Here are some that I've bookmarked, mainly for just one technique I want to improve on.

http://www.planetneil.com/

http://www.tonysweet.com/

http://www.betterphoto.com/home.asp

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html

http://www.photoaxe.com/category/taking-photos/

http://digital-photography-school.com

http://photography.about.com/

Last edited by jupitersolo; 06-17-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

What's up Jupiter

Just want to thank you for totally killing my day at work with this I'm not going to get anything done now. Oh well. It's Monday anyway.
I picked up "Understanding Exposure" from Amazon and it's got a ton of great information, especially the "metering" section.

You still playing poker?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:56 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Shalooby
What's up Jupiter

Just want to thank you for totally killing my day at work with this I'm not going to get anything done now. Oh well. It's Monday anyway.
I picked up "Understanding Exposure" from Amazon and it's got a ton of great information, especially the "metering" section.

You still playing poker?

Poker? No, money's going to photo equipment. Sorry to kill your companies production out of you today. If you get really bored...http://www.shockwave.com/content/shu...is/shuffle.swf
Old 06-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Cool links! A LOT to look through, but that's a good thing.

In the meantime, I'm appreciating Ken Rockwell's down-to-earth advice.

On a side note, some of the other advice from earlier is coming in handy. Over the weekend, my dad gave me his old tripod. It's a Bogen 3xxx (don't remember the rest of the model number), and everything's working great. It just needs a quick-release plate, but those are plentiful on sites like B&H Photo.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Great links, Jupe!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
So I picked up the following for under 1k:
Rebel XTi
Canon 18-55 AF kit lens
Canon 75-300 AF zoom lens
2GB Extreme III CF
Canon Camera Bag
Extra battery
UV/haze filter
That sounds like one hell of a sale... wish I caught on to that.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrsteve
That sounds like one hell of a sale... wish I caught on to that.
They might offer it again, keep your eyes peeled. If you strike at the right time, you can really get some killer deals from places like Best Buy. Here's how I did it:

1. I saw the sale, which was an awesome deal to begin with.
Canon Rebel XTi + kit lens + zoom lens + bag + battery + uv filter for $999
2. I signed up for a reward zone mastercard (which I'll promptly pay off and cancel), so that's $40 in Best Buy gift certificates for the promo.
3. They let me apply a 12% off coupon if I used my reward zone card (applied it to the camera @ $849 = $101 off)
4. Add the CF card @ $50, and the total price ended up being ~$950+tax. And $40 in gift cards coming to me in a few weeks.

So my suggestion is to watch for sales, then use coupons. It seems like any other time, retail shops charge too much. :twocents:
Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Have camera, will travel

They might offer it again, keep your eyes peeled. If you strike at the right time, you can really get some killer deals from places like Best Buy. Here's how I did it:

1. I saw the sale, which was an awesome deal to begin with.
Canon Rebel XTi + kit lens + zoom lens + bag + battery + uv filter for $999
2. I signed up for a reward zone mastercard (which I'll promptly pay off and cancel), so that's $40 in Best Buy gift certificates for the promo.
3. They let me apply a 12% off coupon if I used my reward zone card (applied it to the camera @ $849 = $101 off)
4. Add the CF card @ $50, and the total price ended up being ~$950+tax. And $40 in gift cards coming to me in a few weeks.

So my suggestion is to watch for sales, then use coupons. It seems like any other time, retail shops charge too much. :twocents:
That's some creative purchasing there! Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM

I was talking to my dad on Sunday, and he said he had an old tripod he's not using, so he offered to give it to me. It turned out to be a Bogen 3XXX! I don't remember the exact model number, but the head was a 3160. Everything was in like brand-new condition, except he was missing the part the screws into the camera for the quick-release function. So I was looking around for the part online, and saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-Manfrott...dp/B00009R6FL/

Is that all I'd need? What's this part below about, and why is Amazon trying to sell me it with the part above?
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-BOGE...dp/B00009R6FJ/

Originally Posted by waTSX
That's some creative purchasing there! Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.
Definitely. You guys can do it too!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM
nnInn

I was talking to my dad on Sunday, and he said he had an old tripod he's not using, so he offered to give it to me. It turned out to be a Bogen 3XXX! I don't remember the exact model number, but the head was a 3160. Everything was in like brand-new condition, except he was missing the part the screws into the camera for the quick-release function. So I was looking around for the part online, and saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-Manfrott...dp/B00009R6FL/

Is that all I'd need? What's this part below about, and why is Amazon trying to sell me it with the part above?
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-BOGE...dp/B00009R6FJ/

The two links you show are from amazon.com, but are from a third party vendor. I just had a effing field day with one of their third party vendors buying B&W film.

It doesn't look like amazon.com sells it themselves. Take a look at b&hphoto.com and get it from them, save yourself a possible hassle from amazon.com third party vendors. Though have have had good buying from other third party vendors, after this one I won't do it again with some no-name one.

With B&H just look up the tripod on it should list the qr's an accessory.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:23 PM

I was only able to find this part:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=179176&is=REG

Is that all I'd need? Let me know if you need a picture of the head.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Here's a shot of the tripod head, btw:
Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 PM
The hair says it all

Hey, I am looking for an entry level dslr so I figured I would just continue the thread.

I am looking at the XT and the XTi, I am not sure which one I should get. My parents have two old lenses that they would give me from their canon from years ago (about 10-12 years old) but I am not sure they are the greatest pieces of glass ever. Do both of these support the old lenses? If no (or if you guys think that the included lens is decent) are there certain Nikon's I should be looking at?

Also, when I do purchase it, how much of a difference does the UV lens make?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
nnInn

If the lenses are EF lenses you're good. If they're FD lenses no go. Are you talking about a UV filter?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
The hair says it all

If the lenses are EF lenses you're good. If they're FD lenses no go. Are you talking about a UV filter?
Yes they are EF so thats good. And yes, sorry, the filter.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:54 PM
nnInn

UV filter helps a little, most of the time they're used to protect the lens, would rather scratch or break a $20-$60 filter than lens. Some say don't use them because they can alter the picture is certain light.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:03 PM
The hair says it all

Ok thanks. I think right now I am looking at the XTi with the included lens. I know it isn't that great but it sounds like it is pretty versatile. I'll also pick up a 2gb CF, a UV filter, and a cheaper bag. I plan on getting it later this month and participating in all of the forum shooting activities.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
nnInn

It's good lens, but once you get better you'll want faster lenses.

Check with www.b&hphoto.com or www.amazon.com or www.adorama.com for pricing. CC & BestBuy will have higher prices, unless you have member card and coupons.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Python2121
Ok thanks. I think right now I am looking at the XTi with the included lens. I know it isn't that great but it sounds like it is pretty versatile. I'll also pick up a 2gb CF, a UV filter, and a cheaper bag. I plan on getting it later this month and participating in all of the forum shooting activities.
Welcome to the madness!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
finally pulled the trigger and got mine tonight....

now if i can just figure out how to work it....
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 AM

If you're looking for a good way to learn to use the camera, throw it in auto for awhile. Then start playing around with one setting at a time (white balance, shutter speed, aperture, etc).
Old 07-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Have camera, will travel

Congrats drigo, that's a great little cam. FWIW, I'd recommend using P mode versus auto. It gives you a little more control while still letting the camera handle most of the settings. Or you could just jump in with both feet and use the creative modes

Either way, have fun!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Drifting

thanks guys...i'm really excited about this camera...i'll shoot a few on auto to get a feel then switch over to the manual modes...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 PM
nnInn

^^^ I know, I sound like a broken record (to some), but get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, $15.00 from www.amazon.com
Old 07-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Drifting

^^^ I know, I sound like a broken record (to some), but get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, $15.00 from www.amazon.com
right after i bought the camera...i went straight to borders to buy that book...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 AM
The hair says it all

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8.../dp/B00007E7JU

I think that will be my first lens. Can someone clarify that the lower the f number, in this case 1.8, the larger the aperture and the smaller the depth of field will be, so stuff in focus will be really sharp and the background will be very blurred. Also I can take low light fast shots. Would you guys recommend this lens?

Thanks, Andrew
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
nnInn

Good choice, and you are correct on your questions.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8.../dp/B00007E7JU

I think that will be my first lens. Can someone clarify that the lower the f number, in this case 1.8, the larger the aperture and the smaller the depth of field will be, so stuff in focus will be really sharp and the background will be very blurred. Also I can take low light fast shots. Would you guys recommend this lens?

Thanks, Andrew
that's a great lens for the money. I think everyone has had that lens at one time or another.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 PM
The hair says it all

Does the XTi come with any case at all, even crappy? I am thinking of going to J&R today and picking it up.

Andrew
Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, Andrew
DOF and aperture can be confusing. Especially when people - literature talk about a "large" or "small" aperture. When they mean large are they talking about the F/number or actual opening because they're inverted. The smaller the F/number, the larger the opening. (Same goes for IV needles as well. (You don't want the doctors giving you anything with a #1 or #2 needle!!))

I remember DOF control by thinking - Large DOF - Large F/# Small DOF - Small F/#. That way I don't have to think about it.

Quick Reply: Entry-level dSLR Recommendations