Week one with the TL...impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003 | 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Week one with the TL...impressions

I've kind of thought of the first week with the new car as an evaluation period. I've driven it a total of 350 miles and would like to offer some new impressions.

Dislikes first:
The C-pillar causes a huge blind spot on either side. Before changing lanes, I have to do a quick check of the side mirrors, and turn my head, bobbing and weaving. I don't like this but have become accustomed to it.

The front end dips so far forward that I can't see the end of the hood when I park. I was already used to this because I had the same problem in my 2000 Dodge Intrepid. Not a big issue.

The Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires are gonna be replaced as soon as they wear out, or even before. If it weren't for the sound deadening in the new TL, there'd be a lot more tire noise than there is. The handling is OK for touring (e.g. driving the speed limit and well below the handling limits of the car) but not for the type of spirited driving I enjoy. I can feel the car starting to slip before VSA kicks in when I'm in my favorite curve at 70 mph. I don't trust these in the rain, and I simply drive in a most unsporting way as a result. Michelin Sport A/S Continental ContiExtreme Contacts, or Dunlop SP Sport 5000, here I come.

Skull One was absolutely right about the lack of power with low rpms. I wanted to see for myself before commenting. It takes until the engine winds up to about 3 k before you feel yourself launching. Afterward, I DO feel that "seat of the pants" sensation as the car launches forward. In addition to the launch, there is mild torque steer in either direction, but I notice this only as I'm accelerating hard midway through a turn, not much of a problem for me. The slow windup appears to be a side effect of the "drive by wire" system, and I've already adjusted by simply pushing the accelerator harder when I want to accelerate. So much for "pretend there's an egg under your toes" in accelerating.

The interior is REALLY gorgeous. The interior leather and vinyl surfaces are high quality, much more so than the prior TL, with the exceptions that everyone knows (seatbacks, lower door panels). I like the sunglass holder because It's quiet. I've had my sunglasses down there all week and I simply can't hear them. In addition, they are well protected because of the rubberized interior.

The engine sound is beautiful, especially when you hear VTEC kicking in during hard acceleration. Ahhhh, heaven.

The handling and ride are excellent for my needs. It's no luxo-boat--doesn't bob and weave over bumps, it's pretty much as I said before, one or two disciplined bumps and back to stability. There is barely any body roll in the curves, but there is a lot of it in my wife's Accord, as nimbly as it handles otherwise. The ride is not harsh over rough pavement. I'd like to try the lowering springs that are coming. That, and new rubber, should improve handling somewhat.

The navi is way cool. It is pretty much dead on, though the manual indicates that a certain amount of inaccuracy is built in. The directions it provides around town are accurate. Most of the voice commands are accurately rendered, with some exceptions. The only problem I have with it is that I can't figure out how to turn it off when I'm done with it. I can't believe I have yet to figure this out, but it's not obvious in the manual how to do it. The only thing I can think of is not to turn on the map. If I use the screen for the radio, I presss "audio" a second time and the warning screen for the navi comes up, and times out if I don't press "OK". Odd, probably just me still learning how to use the navi.

In total: I still like the car, will keep it, and will drive the heck out of it. I still think Acura has a winner with this car. My only regret is that I can't buy a MT.
Old 10-10-2003 | 11:44 AM
Pro

try hitting the cancel button next to voice talk on the steering wheel. Just an idea Thanks for teh great review, enjoy your TL
Old 10-10-2003 | 11:48 AM
Racer

Thanks for the update!

I'm not overly concerned with the C-pillar, since I already use the mirrors. As for the tires, yes, I expect those will be replaced fairly soon.

-r
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:08 PM
More On

About turning off the Nav screen: If it's like the TSX, here's what you do:

Hit "Set-up" (if there's such a button; in the TSX it's on the dash), then on the screen, touch "Display - Off."
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

I thought I'd post my first week's impressions as well. I chose the 5AT non-Navi in Abyss/Quartz. This car replaces a late 80s Mercedes 420SEL, referred to affectionately as "Das Boot". Needless to say, the contrast has been rather severe. I realized why my perception of the acceleration has been different from Skull and neuronbob when I read his "egg under your toes" comment. I'm so used to mashing the accelerator to the floor with the Benz, that's what I do with the TL. Perhaps that style dovetails well with the TL's computers or maybe launching a car that is almost a ton lighter can't feel anything but sprightly to me. In any case, I am quite happy with the off-the-line characteristics of the TL.

As neuronbob says, the handling for typical driving is great. I laugh at the speed tables in my neighborhood and the rough pavement on my section of 101. I love the steering. Solid on the freeway, nimble on surface streets. For parking, I find it very precise and the turning radius hasn't been a problem. I have tried some more spirited driving and it certainly doesn't feel as surefooted as my buddy's 2001 S4, but better than the G35 I test drove. I might take neuronbob's advice and change the rubber.

But the interior is the reason to get this car. The seats all around are very comfortable. The leather is up there with that on my father-in-law's XKR. Speaking of leather, I almost cried when I installed the car seat. I'm sure that despite my best efforts at protecting it, it will be disfigured. However, the child seat was really easy to install using the LATCH system.

All the controls are easy to use and the instrument panel is absolutely the best I have ever used. I feel like I don't have to work at all to drive this car under normal conditions. So I listen to the sound system or have a quiet (the noise levels are really low) conversation with my passengers. I'm not an audiophile, but the sound system seems great to me. Cranks out my rock CD's with crystal clarity. I can't wait until DVD-A's are around for my preferred bands.

I am much more enamored of the XM radio than I thought I would be. Obviously, commercial free music channels are a good thing. But the best thing about XM was a surprise--the comedy channels. I know it sounds silly. But when I'm driving around town, I tend to get stressed by other people's driving behavior. But listening to Bill Cosby, Lewis Black, and George Carlin keeps my blood pressure down. Of course, my fellow drives wonder why I'm cackling like a maniac at the stoplight, but at least they give me a wide berth if I need to get in their lane. Oh, and the tracks are completely uncensored as far as I can tell.
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

Do you feel being pressed in the seat when you just floor it? From a 5mph or from standing still?

During my short test drive i thought the car was pretty fast, once it's already rolling. But fron standing still couldn't exactly check, i was afraid of scaring the shitout of the sales person.
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by acura_driver
Thanks for the update!

I'm not overly concerned with the C-pillar, since I already use the mirrors. As for the tires, yes, I expect those will be replaced fairly soon.

-r
Coming from an Odyssey I doubt it will be a problem for me...
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:24 PM
Racer

Re: Week one with the TL...impressions

Originally posted by neuronbob
The engine sound is beautiful, especially when you hear VTEC kicking in during hard acceleration. Ahhhh, heaven.
Neuronbob!! This is a big ! Didn't you read about proper break-in procedures in the manual?!

Just kidding -- for all I know, you've gone the requisite 600 miles, and if you haven't, who cares! I KNOW I won't be able to make it 600 miles before I test out the VTEC.

Thanks for the excellent review of your experience thus far. I was actually very worried about the tires before the TL's release, and hearing your comments makes me even more concerned. I'm thinking of living with the EL42s through the winter and then getting something better in the early spring. I figure that you're most excited about a new car during the first few years, so you shouldn't have to wait on an upgrade that's so significant to the driving experience. I'll keep the stock Turanza's and use them to replace my new tires when they wear out and the excitement of a new car has worn off some (hey, this is the only way I can justify the added cost to my brain). Does the rubber in tires last if they're kept in a dusty basement unused for a few years??
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:31 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Re: Week one with the TL...impressions

Originally posted by neuronbob
I've kind of thought of the first week with the new car as an evaluation period. I've driven it a total of 350 miles and would like to offer some new impressions.

<SNIP>

Skull One was absolutely right about the lack of power with low rpms. I wanted to see for myself before commenting. It takes until the engine winds up to about 3 k before you feel yourself launching. Afterward, I DO feel that "seat of the pants" sensation as the car launches forward. In addition to the launch, there is mild torque steer in either direction, but I notice this only as I'm accelerating hard midway through a turn, not much of a problem for me. The slow windup appears to be a side effect of the "drive by wire" system, and I've already adjusted by simply pushing the accelerator harder when I want to accelerate. So much for "pretend there's an egg under your toes" in accelerating.

<SNIP>
I was actually afraid someone would agree with me on this . But I will try to mash it on my second test drive (should be about 10 days from now). I too am used to pushing the pedal to about 80% on launch in a slow and even manner to get my current cars to launch properly. The S80 throws you back the second you hit 1500 RPM. I was expecting the TL to kick in about 2000 instead of the 3700 I was seeing.

I am really glad to see you had the same comments about driveability and interior. I can't say enough about the interior esp in comparision to my S80 (which I love). Now all I have to do is find a way to get rid of the carbon fiber trimming and it would be one of the best out there for its class.
Old 10-10-2003 | 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Week one with the TL...impressions

Originally posted by princed
Neuronbob!! This is a big ! Didn't you read about proper break-in procedures in the manual?!
Seriously, I didn't post about the brakes for exactly that reason. I've only done WOT (wide-open throttle) a couple of times.
Old 10-10-2003 | 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by sigma521
Do you feel being pressed in the seat when you just floor it? From a 5mph or from standing still?

During my short test drive i thought the car was pretty fast, once it's already rolling. But fron standing still couldn't exactly check, i was afraid of scaring the shitout of the sales person.
From a standstill...no. Like I said, once you hit 3k rpms, THEN the most rapid acceleration starts, and I DO settle more in my seat. I'm not complaining, though. It sure makes my wife feel better about my driving.
Old 10-10-2003 | 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Please properly adjust your mirrors and learn to rely on them! How dangerous it is to look over your shoulder

Try different ways of applying pressure to the accelerator and let us know if you notice any differences. Also, the engine should be quicker after the break in period.
Old 10-10-2003 | 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally posted by RJC RSX
Also, the engine should be quicker after the break in period.
I have heard that the engine computer may use different software during the break in period. Anyone else heard that? And if so, how long?

-r
Old 10-10-2003 | 03:35 PM
Banned

As for me, I am keeping the Bridgestones only for the winter, and switching to some summer rubber when it gets warmer, always intended to do this, and now it is confirmed. I did push mine on some cloverleaf's was not bad, but not as good as my old car on Yoko's AVS SPORTS! Those were some mean tires when I got them 4 years ago (the last only because I switch to snows in the winter)!
Old 10-10-2003 | 04:41 PM
Pro

whjen does vtec kick in, could lowering that help acceleration at lower speeds
Old 10-10-2003 | 05:37 PM
Racer

Originally posted by moreace
From what I remember, VTEC engages on the 04 TL at 4700rpm. I have no idea how VTEC is engaged, so I'm not sure if it can be adjusted to kick in at a lower rpm. The more you use VTEC, the worse the fuel economy -- I'm sure that is one of the reasons Honda chose to put the cutoff where it is...
Old 10-10-2003 | 07:07 PM
4dr & I like it that way

Re: Re: Week one with the TL...impressions

Originally posted by Skull One
I was actually afraid someone would agree with me on this . But I will try to mash it on my second test drive (should be about 10 days from now). I too am used to pushing the pedal to about 80% on launch in a slow and even manner to get my current cars to launch properly. The S80 throws you back the second you hit 1500 RPM. I was expecting the TL to kick in about 2000 instead of the 3700 I was seeing.

I am really glad to see you had the same comments about driveability and interior. I can't say enough about the interior esp in comparision to my S80 (which I love). Now all I have to do is find a way to get rid of the carbon fiber trimming and it would be one of the best out there for its class.
i honestly think this is a combo of the ECU/drive by wire system. i KNOW it cant be an engine problem, my modded 99TL feels like it has alot more grunt down low than the 04 TL, which just cant be true. if you read through the brochure Acura claims the drive by wire system adjusts how fast the throttle reacts based on what "mood" you are in so in otherwords the same throttle position isnt going to always mean the same amount of power unfortunately. im curious if it will be easier to get down low power with the MT
Old 10-10-2003 | 07:09 PM
4dr & I like it that way

no, the whole point of VTEC is to have different cam profiles for lower-mid rpms than you do for high rpms. engaging the high rpm cams at lower engine speeds will just make it worse. the ecu tuners out there might movie it down a couple hundred rpms, but nothing big
Old 10-10-2003 | 07:10 PM
Intermediate

BOB
to cancel your destination
got to menu and hit cancel route
Old 10-10-2003 | 07:14 PM
Racer

Doubtful, VTEC (Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control) varies the valve time to optimize engine performance at both high and low RPMs.

-r
Old 10-10-2003 | 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by RJC RSX
Please properly adjust your mirrors and learn to rely on them! How dangerous it is to look over your shoulder
I had been using my mirrors to keep the lane markers always in view but when I adjusted them, the C-pillar ceased to be an issue. I learned to drive in a car with only one side mirror 15 years ago, I guess I never adjusted to living with two because I always used my eyes to confirm if someone was in the lane I wanted to switch to. Learned something new today, thanks!

Try different ways of applying pressure to the accelerator and let us know if you notice any differences. Also, the engine should be quicker after the break in period.
I have noticed that the best way to get power the fastest is consistent, firm pressure on the accelerator. Skull One, try this in your next test drive and give us a report if you can. In fact, the owner's manual indicates that flooring the accelerator will downshift by up to three gears depending on your speed. I'm sure that's the reason for the sluggish response up to 3k now!! If you apply light pressure, the car remains in the same gear you started in, if you mash harder the computer downshifts and presto, higher rpms and acceleration. The magic of drive by wire. And of course, you're correct in saying that the engine will perform better after breakin, which is 1k miles for this engine.

Originally posted by larchmont
Hit "Set-up" (if there's such a button; in the TSX it's on the dash), then on the screen, touch "Display - Off."
Worked like a charm. I wonder why I didn't see it the first time around. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2003 | 08:30 PM
Instructor

Bob and Kevin,

You both have commented on changing the tires, would you suggest getting the HPT option now or just by some elsewhere?
Old 10-10-2003 | 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd buy elsewhere. I want what Tire Rack calls "High Performance All-Weather Tires" or "Ultimate Performance All-Weather Tires". Examples are the tires I list above. The Conti tires are the best rated on Tire Rack for their type and that's likely what I'm going to get. Here in the snow belt, the HPT summer tires just don't make sense. OTOH, you live in Arizona so you could probably get away with it.
Old 10-10-2003 | 08:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks Bob. That is kind of what I was thinking, the HPT is good for warmer climates only and aftermarket HP all-weather tires would be good elsewhere.
Old 10-10-2003 | 09:11 PM
Instructor

The new TL is designed to produce 90% of its maximum torque at only 2500 rpm. That is what Acura's marketing literature stresses in a rather impressive graph.
Old 10-10-2003 | 09:50 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JeffPhx
Thanks Bob. That is kind of what I was thinking, the HPT is good for warmer climates only and aftermarket HP all-weather tires would be good elsewhere.
You may want to look at Bridgestone S-03's or Yokohama AVS Sports as a really good summer tire. Check the Tire Rack, I had the AVS Sports on a front driver and they did really well!
Old 10-11-2003 | 05:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by kevindick

Speaking of leather, I almost cried when I installed the car seat. I'm sure that despite my best efforts at protecting it, it will be disfigured.
On my car, I got around this by finding some inexpensive towels that match the interior color. Fold them over so they cover the bottom and back of the car seat.

Worked great for my kids' seats from the time they were infants till they no longer needed boosters. No scratches, scrapes, or tears. There were some slightly stretched out spots, but even those seem to have gone away.
Old 10-11-2003 | 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by blkngld
On my car, I got around this by finding some inexpensive towels that match the interior color. Fold them over so they cover the bottom and back of the car seat.

Worked great for my kids' seats from the time they were infants till they no longer needed boosters. No scratches, scrapes, or tears. There were some slightly stretched out spots, but even those seem to have gone away.
I used both towels and padded nonslip mats. However, from previous experience with the leather in our minivan, even with those measures, if you cinch down the car seat as hard as you're supposed to and leave it that way for two years, those stretched out spots never go away. But maybe the TL leather will prove more resilient.
Old 10-12-2003 | 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about car seats yet. The wife wants to finish up her degree before we get started. I'll have to take your suggestion when we do, though!
Old 10-12-2003 | 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

No kids here, but that is why I keep the old Cherokee around. No animals allowed in any cars that do not have Jeep in their brand name.
Old 10-12-2003 | 11:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by kevindick
I used both towels and padded nonslip mats. However, from previous experience with the leather in our minivan, even with those measures, if you cinch down the car seat as hard as you're supposed to and leave it that way for two years, those stretched out spots never go away. But maybe the TL leather will prove more resilient.
The problem with using towels is that they tend to allow the child seat to slip, and never allow it to fit as it should, where it does not move more than 1" in any direction when you pull on the base front to rear, and side to side.

I always used a rubber mat (actually a bath tub mat works well with the suction cups towards the seat, or you get pock marks on the seat ). The rubber mat stops the plastic seat from sliding on the leather, the towels actually increase the ability to slide.

Have fun, and try using the new seats with the rigid latch system on the bottom of the seat (not the flexable one), that should improve things, and not requrie so much downforce on the seat (it would be worth the investment) as it is held in place by the rigid system and teather clip, instead of compresion into the seat for non-rigid systems and the old seatbelt styles.

You know, they say 85% of child seats are incorrectly installed, and if you do not break out into a sweat, and put all your wieght into it, you don't have it right (dont forget to lock the seatbelts!)