Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 06:17 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great article on TL ASPEC Kit!

Acura A-Spec performance package
Grade A: Acura goes from luxury to performance with A-Spec

By MARK VAUGHN
Acura's TL is transformed with the A-Spec package.

IN WHAT IS SURELY A vast oversimplification, it used to be Hondas were sporty and Acuras were luxurious. Nowadays, if you were so inclined and had a suitable platform from which to foment discussion, say a website or one of those big handheld megaphones, you could argue Acura is now aiming in the fun-to-drive direction, too. And not just because of screamers like the TSX, RSX Type-S and the new TL. Those are all fine, fun products, but the best argument that Acura is going sporty may be the launch of the new A-Spec line.

A-Spec was formerly called Acura Factory Performance, a name marketeers thought sounded too much like its sister division Honda Factory Performance. The A-Spec name was introduced at last year’s SEMA show on an RSX Type-S concept. The production version of that car, after months of tuning, went on sale Nov. 30 with A-Spec springs, shocks, wheels, tires, aerodynamic add-ons and other handling enhancements. We drove one recently and found it to be a big step up in performance from the stock RSX, even the RSX Type-S from which it is ascended. Body roll in particular felt like it was about cut in half, maybe more so, and the improved response was easily worth the small price in ride harshness.

The bigger news, however, may be that this month Acura will introduce an A-Spec version of the new 2004 TL, formerly just a sedate near-luxury sedan. If Acura can make the TL fun, anything can happen. Right out of the box the stock 2004 TL is different. It’s fun to drive, centered around that whompin’-smooth 270-hp 3.2-liter V6 and six-speed manual. Step on the gas in that car and you don’t even mind that the engine is driving the front wheels.

Now, to that fine TL sedan Acura adds an A-Spec suspension and body kit to match. And it matches nicely. The shocks match the springs, the wheels and tires match the shocks and the suspension in general is more responsive without being overly harsh. We drove the A-Spec TL over twisting mountain roads in the San Gabriel mountains of California and through the short, tight Streets of Willow road course and came away happy.

A-Spec, also available for the RSX, makes both cars more fun to drive.

On the track the TL still felt its nearly 3500-pound curb weight, especially downshifting into corners. And the engine was so quiet that it was hard to whack the Sport Shift automatic into the right gear at precisely the right time if you were doing it by sound rather than looking down at the tach. But that mass was better controlled on the A-Spec TL than on the stock TL. Engineers chose compression and rebound rates for the shocks that were closer to the NSX than the stock TL. The compression stroke of the shocks was firmed up, while rebound was softened. On stock shocks it is the opposite, with lots more softness on compression for that luxury Acura ride.

The stiffer springs also lower the car by almost an inch, and improve the look of the TL as well as the ride. Many aftermarket tuners concentrate on just lowering the car with shorter, stiffer springs and often leave the shocks stock.

The aero parts do more than improve the car’s looks, too. How many aftermarket aero kits have ever seen the inside of a wind tunnel? This package actually lowers the coefficient of drag from 0.29 to 0.28 and reduces lift by 0.088, figures virtually unheard of among aftermarket body kits. Most bolt-on wings slow the car down like tiny, stylish parachutes. The A-Spec TL includes front, side, rear and underbody spoilers, as well as your choice of a decklid wing or spoiler on the trailing edge of the car.

The 18x8.5-inch wheels are forged and made thinner than stock for lightness, while the 235/40VR Yokohama AVS ES100 tires come with a thinner layer of rubber for both lightness and improved handling. The drawback is a shorter tread life, but that is the tradeoff for more grip. Tire and road noise is a little more than what you get with the stock TL 17-inch tires, but not as harsh as those on the RSX.

As on the stock TL, the automatic-transmission cars come with performance brake pads. The manual-transmission models come with Brembo rotors and four-piston calipers up front.

The A-Spec TL is such a nicely cohesive package (including unique steering wheel and nifty A-Spec badging) that, as with any HFP or A-Spec package, you can’t buy it in bits and pieces, you have to buy everything that is offered. They won’t even let you put it on your TL yourself, the dealer has to do it. And it ain’t cheap. It is $5,200 plus dealer installation, which will run you about $500 or so. Throw in taxes and you are up close to six grand. The A-Spec RSX is $4,200 plus installation.

Parts aficionados will quickly leap to their keyboards saying they could get similar parts upgrades for a TL at half the price right now on some website, so why spend twice as much for an A-Spec? Several reasons.

It can all be financed with the same loan that pays for your new car. Website suppliers usually haven’t tested their parts for 155,000 miles on roads and tracks all over the world like Tochigi, the Nürburgring, the autobahn and the San Diego freeway (okay, most have tested on the San Diego freeway). Few if any offer a four-year, 50,000-mile warranty. And few have made such a concerted effort to find parts that complement one another and balance out performance such that everything feels like it belongs with everything else.

Acura expects to sell 1000 TLs with the A-Spec package. Once Acura has reached that goal and recovered its tooling costs, it may offer the suspension upgrades separate from the aero kit. You can buy the aero kit separately now. The plan is to sell 500 A-Spec RSXs.

Acura sells about 65,000 TLs a year, so 1000 A-Spec versions make up only about 1.5 percent of the total. Acura sells 25,000 RSXs, so 500 would be 2 percent. That is not a whole lot in volume. But it is not sales figures that make A-Spec important, the the direction Acura is now headed.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Any pics???
Old 12-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=124088
Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 AM
Kabachitare!

The A-Spec RSX is $4,200 plus installation -

All that money for a handling and appearance package? I'd rather get a 350Z in that category.

As for the TL A-spec, I'd rather have actual performance upgrades for my 5 grand.

But I think Acura will sell a lot of these to people who don't want to go to tuner shops to get their rims and body kits.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
kansai,

one step at a time

i think acura did this to test the public's reaction...if it works, we will see actual hp upgrade on the next gen a-spec packages (according 2 a honda spokesperson)
Old 12-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
" The aero parts do more than improve the car’s looks, too. How many aftermarket aero kits have ever seen the inside of a wind tunnel? This package actually lowers the coefficient of drag from 0.29 to 0.28 and reduces lift by 0.088, figures virtually unheard of among aftermarket body kits. Most bolt-on wings slow the car down like tiny, stylish parachutes. The A-Spec TL includes front, side, rear and underbody spoilers, as well as your choice of a decklid wing or spoiler on the trailing edge of the car.

The 18x8.5-inch wheels are forged and made thinner than stock for lightness, while the 235/40VR Yokohama AVS ES100 tires come with a thinner layer of rubber for both lightness and improved handling. The drawback is a shorter tread life, but that is the tradeoff for more grip. Tire and road noise is a little more than what you get with the stock TL 17-inch tires, but not as harsh as those on the RSX."

wow, forged wheels from acura...not bad

also notice the aero kit, coupled w/the suspension drop results in a decreas in cD...pretty impressive if you ask me, sinc even most oem kits from other makers do the opposite
Old 12-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still no HP mods. :thumbsdn:
Old 12-16-2003, 11:38 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Pricey, but that can always be negotiated, always, specially on the package itself. I like the A Spec and the warranty. Yeah, no HP increase right now, but if I ever started madding my car it would be my suspension and brakes thatd be done first anyway.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=120128

expensive for whats included, bmws performance package is a $3900 factory option:

-10 horsepower increase, 300 higher rpm limit
-short throw shifter
-shorter final drive ratio
-new sports suspension, 0.6 inch lower
-18-inch wheels with mixed-size performance tires
-Aerodynamic Package
-black headlight trim
-high gloss shadowline trim
-new exhaust
-cloth and Alcantara sport seats
-Alcantara sport steering wheel
-anthracite headliner
-Black cube aluminum trim
-improved braking 109ft vs 134ft for non

vs.

-High performance, track-tuned shocks and springs
-Performance brake pads (automatic transmission-equipped models)
-Lightweight 18x8.5 alloy wheels,Yokohama 235/40-R18 95W
-Aero kit, choice of deck lid or rear wing spoiler
-A-SPEC steering wheel
-A-SPEC badging
Old 12-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Safety Car

Acura TL A-SPEC Concept To Debut at Los Angeles Auto Show

ascii | MSWord 54k

Detroit, MI. 12/11/2003 --

The Acura TL A- SPEC Concept vehicle will make its debut at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show. This extensively modified TL is an exercise built to explore the next level of performance accessory possibilities for Acura's best-selling sedan.

Based on the all-new 2004 TL, the TL A- SPEC Concept takes the performance theme to the extreme, with a combination of aggressive styling, powertrain enhancements and racing-inspired interior modifications. Styling highlights include a wider track, 21-inch alloy wheels, wide fender flares, redesigned front and rear fascias and a full-length glass roof.

The 2004 TL debuted in October and has shattered sales records in each of its first two months on sale. Dramatically redesigned with sporty new exterior styling, a 270-horsepower engine, sport-tuned suspension and an assortment of the latest technology, the TL is a true driving enthusiast's car.

Additional details on the TL A-SPEC Concept will be announced on Monday, December 29 at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Old 12-29-2003, 10:05 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Nice!
Can't wait to see more pics of the full length glass roof. .
Old 12-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Oh Check teh released Spec at Hondanews.com!.... 300+ HP with internal engine modifications!! WOW! still 3.2L engine!... alomst 100 HP/Liter!
Old 12-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Smack My B*tch Up

http://prn.newscom.com/cgi-bin/pub/s...iew&tr=1&row=1

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031229/lam014_1.html
Old 12-30-2003, 01:07 AM
THE SILVER BULLET

pretty nice
Old 12-30-2003, 02:20 AM
Suzuka Master

no more lollipop Red Jolly Rancher Taillights!

Those tail pipes are something else though, i'd still prefer trapezoids. Wheels are a bit bland, ricey even.
Seats are crazy looking, reminds me of gym class pads where kids would do somersauts on em. hehe
Not sure about the RED color though. A wee bit too flashy.

Two front metalic accents within the air dams are ok.
The metalic accent on the rear bumper air outlet is a cool one though, i like that!
Old 12-30-2003, 11:06 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Plus, it has Adaptive Cruise Control. Why would they throw that and a review camera on a concept car? Seems kinda odd if eventually it wasn't destined for production as the TL Type S!!!!!!!!! Hopefully.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:11 PM
The hair says it all

oh man that car is so hot but i bet it would get stolen in a second
Old 12-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks great. Now we need AWD and 50 more HP.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 12-30-2003, 06:08 PM

The only people even talking about the TL are Honda/Acura people. There has been barely a whisper on any other forums. I doubt this car will help any.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:19 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

The TYPE-S Lives!!!!!

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000214337.cfm

I know it's only the concept ASPEC, but maybe autospies knows something we don't!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 PM
__

it lives....and it's ugly
Old 01-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

i doubt it. i don't like it either, overdone.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:34 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

"*Sources tell the Spies that the production version will lose the panoramic roof and be released as a 2005 model"
Old 01-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod_...,F,T,T,F,F,T,T

Old 01-01-2004, 05:36 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

I beat you NOVA!! ahhahahahhahaha *neener* *neener* :P
Old 01-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its gonna get a HP boost to over 300. Not bad if they actually go through with it.

Its the return of the Type S .
Old 01-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

It'll have to grow on me but so far I'm feelin' this car. Now all we need is is two doors (coupe) and AWD.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Re: The TYPE-S Lives!!!!!

Hmm... Looks like a 4 door bordello on wheels... like a distant relative of today's CL-S, - redheaded bastard stepchild..?? Needs to be a coupe to be a real CL-S...

Like seeing the 6 speed continued, tho... may mean better support down the line..

Jim
Old 01-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I like it though I am not sure what to expect in production trim. Usually Acura concepts and produciont offerings are exremely close. I doubt the 21 inch wheels will make it. I am not sure what to think about the engine mods. It will be welcome though, not sure if it will happen. 300+ HP means at least 305HP. That's good power, but how will the FWD affect the result. The good thing is that it comes from a 3.2 liter engine which means the torque will be marginally upped. And that usually is what affects torque steer and other unwelcome characteristics of a FWD with a strong engine. AWD would be great, but I doubt we'll see it that soon. Not sure what to think...
Old 01-01-2004, 10:22 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Originally posted by gavriil
I like it though I am not sure what to expect in production trim. Usually Acura concepts and produciont offerings are exremely close. I doubt the 21 inch wheels will make it. I am not sure what to think about the engine mods. It will be welcome though, not sure if it will happen. 300+ HP means at least 305HP. That's good power, but how will the FWD affect the result. The good thing is that it comes from a 3.2 liter engine which means the torque will be marginally upped. And that usually is what affects torque steer and other unwelcome characteristics of a FWD with a strong engine. AWD would be great, but I doubt we'll see it that soon. Not sure what to think...
Autoweek is calling for the implementation of the VTM-4 system. No way 21 inch rims will be there, probably the optional 18's will come standard. I think we can count on the ventilated seats, adapative cruise control, and rearview camera tho. That's a pretty good amount of features in this sucker. Sad thing is, they also said the price is about $45k I'll try and find the link.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:25 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Hm...this tidbit is from the 'other site' that appears as though it was copied from autoweek. Dunno how reliable it is, but I can't find it on autoweek's site:

"This vehicle is speculated to finally have incorporated the AWD system from the MDX and a retail price mid 45's fully loaded."
Old 01-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hmmm... So, Type S = AWD? Interestin...
Old 01-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I hope it's true.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

For that much money I would spend a few grand more and get a S4 or CTS-V.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P

For that much money I would spend a few grand more and get a S4 or CTS-V.
S4 Hell yeah!!! 350HP V8, 6spd Quattro. That car comes standard with alot of features too! Except Nav and Sunroof.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,862 Likes on 3,482 Posts
New TL A spec?

Acura has shown a new TL A spec and hinted that it may "have over 300 hp." How cool wld that be? The pic in Autoweek isn't so great tho (Chrysler 300-esque front end) but hey, horses are horses right??
Old 01-02-2004, 10:59 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Pres. Bush is a simple-minded, war-mongerin' ethnocentric MORON

Best Sig in the history of A-CL
Old 01-02-2004, 12:17 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
is that red carbon fiber on the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: The TYPE-S Lives!!!!!