Print ad in November issue of Automobile

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Print ad in November issue of Automobile

Just saw my first print ad for the new TL in the November issue of Automobile. The car is in the Slate (?) Gray color and is pictured next to a very futuristic building. Copy reads:

"ACTUALLY, IT IS ROCKET SCIENCE. You don't need a PhD. in propulsion to appreciate the new TL. In laymen's terms, there's a 3.2 VTEC genius under the hood. Advanced suspension engineering for cutting-edge handling. And, you can make calls with Bluetooth hands-free technology, receive 100 channels of XM Satellite Radio, surround yourself with the DVD-Audio sound and get directions from the available satellite-linked navigation system with voice recognition. All without taking your hands off the wheel. Take a gaint leap in performance at acura.com or call us at 1-800-To-Acura. The all-new 270 hp Acura TL. A higher form of performance."

Great ad! Hot car! I recently traded my '99 TL on a '03, couldn't resist the price. Kinda sick now that I will have to wait about two years to move up to the new model...
Old 09-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Can you scan it?
Old 09-28-2003, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Sorry, don't have the equipment. Guess the color is Carbon Gray. I know there are other Automobile readers on this site...
Old 09-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by corloc
Sorry, don't have the equipment. Guess the color is Carbon Gray. I know there are other Automobile readers on this site...
Please, anthracite is the color.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

I can see why you might be sensitive. Looks to me like you made a great color choice....
Old 09-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

PS I know it's off topic, but GO CUBS!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree, go Cubs, with Cleveland's (sniff! sob! why'd they have to trade him??) Kenny Lofton.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Cubbies

It doesn't matter what the Cubs do, since the Giants or A's will take it all in the end.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Re: Cubbies

Originally posted by rkozono
It doesn't matter what the Cubs do, since the Giants or A's will take it all in the end.

Take it all in the end? Maybe you want to rephrase....
Old 09-28-2003, 03:46 PM
More On

PS I know it's off topic, but GO CUBS!!!!
Big Yankee fan here (sorry! ), but been rooting for the Tigers all week. (Do you BELIEVE yesterday's game??) :whocares:
Old 09-28-2003, 03:55 PM
More On

Re: Re: Cubbies

Originally posted by elbodude
Take it all in the end? Maybe you want to rephrase....
No, I think maybe that's what he meant the Giants and A's will do.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Hey, give us a break! Chicago has waited a hell of a long time to get even this far.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid this is true. It's funny how everyone is making such a big deal about the Cubs here in Chicago, but what have they really won? Maybe an excuse to make a few hats and t-shirts, but until they get past the Braves this is a short achievement.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

Remember that there are a very few games which count when you come close, namely horseshoes and hand grenades. Unfortunately, baseball is not one of them. Nobody cares if you come in 2nd or 3rd. Only the World Series winner is remembered in any meaningful way
Old 09-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

HELL YES! Another battle of the bay! I hope there isnt an earthquake.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:07 PM
More On

Remember that there are a very few games which count when you come close, namely horseshoes and hand grenades. Unfortunately, baseball is not one of them. Nobody cares if you come in 2nd or 3rd. Only the World Series winner is remembered in any meaningful way
Actually I think it's not like that. Even as a Yankee fan -- i.e. in the land where anything but world champ is considered disaster -- I see that people do remember much more, both here and elsewhere. It really depends on how it happened -- which is great, because that's how it should be. I think the Cubs making the post-season will be remembered as something important no matter what happens from here.

Some of my neatest Yankee memories are from years that they didn't win. The 2001 World Series,..... even though they lost to the D'Backs, the way they won those 2 games in a row with last-second home runs, that was more than enough. And 1995, when they didn't even get past the 1st round but had such a great series with Seattle -- frustrating, but great and extremely memorable.

Part of it is that there are so many teams and several rounds of post-season. It used to be kind of like what rkozono said, but not any more.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by larchmont
Some of my neatest Yankee memories are from years that they didn't win. The 2001 World Series,..... even though they lost to the D'Backs, the way they won those 2 games in a row with last-second home runs, that was more than enough.
You got it pal! We'll take that Championship ring from you any day of the week! So you kicked around poor Kim, we traded him anyway. Glad Jeter is known as Mr. November. What did it get you? Nothing! Haha. It was more than enough for me to watch Luis Gonzalez hit that broken bat blooper off Rivera and forever be instilled with the memory of my Diamondbacks beating the Yankees.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:15 PM
More On

Re: Re: Cubbies

Originally posted by ryder1650
HELL YES! Another battle of the bay! I hope there isnt an earthquake.
The weirdest thing I ever saw in the media was what they did with that 1989 earthquake. Just by chance it happened when the whole world's media were right there, because there was a World Series game. So, the earthquake happens, and there's no game, so what do the media do, especially ABC which was doing the game? They cut to reruns of the Jeffersons. I mean, it's the story of the year, maybe the decade, and everybody's right there, but they think since there's no game there's no story. I think it took a couple of hours before they realized what they had, and they hauled in Ted Koppel.

I remember that the first real reporting of it was from a chick reporter for FAN radio, Suzyn Waldman (now a Yankee TV announcer), who did great on-the-spot reporting while in the midst of her own panic attack (literally).
Old 09-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Über Geek

Cub fans are excited for the same reason us Marlins fans are: hope.
There's a chance. Tiny maybe, but it's there.

Don't think so? The Marlins were a long-shot Wild Card in '97, too.

And history DOES remember the losers on occasion. They just have to be spectacular at it. I'm only a casual fan and I STILL know Red Sox uber-goat Bill Buckner's name.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Print ad in November issue of Automobile

Just saw my first print ad for the new TL in the November issue of Automobile. The car is in the Slate (?) Gray color and is pictured next to a very futuristic building. Copy reads:

"ACTUALLY, IT IS ROCKET SCIENCE. You don't need a PhD. in propulsion to appreciate the new TL. In laymen's terms, there's a 3.2 VTEC genius under the hood. Advanced suspension engineering for cutting-edge handling. And, you can make calls with Bluetooth hands-free technology, receive 100 channels of XM Satellite Radio, surround yourself with the DVD-Audio sound and get directions from the available satellite-linked navigation system with voice recognition. All without taking your hands off the wheel. Take a gaint leap in performance at acura.com or call us at 1-800-To-Acura. The all-new 270 hp Acura TL. A higher form of performance."

Great ad! Hot car! I recently traded my '99 TL on a '03, couldn't resist the price. Kinda sick now that I will have to wait about two years to move up to the new model...

Did anyone notice the Galant on the next page?

With the color, they look eerily similar!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by captainjack
Cub fans are excited for the same reason us Marlins fans are: hope.
There's a chance. Tiny maybe, but it's there.
Yeah, I remember having that feeling back in the mid-90's when the Cleveland Indians were perennial contenders, instead of the young pretenders they are now. I'm STILL pissed we lost the World Series to that lame-a$$, start-up expansion franchise. Which promptly dismantled its winning team after winning the series. DAMM THEM!!!!

(cools down, waits for next year just like always...)
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Race Director

Enough of Baseball talk, wheres the scan
Old 10-12-2003, 03:10 AM
More On

I just saw this print ad for the first time -- in fact, it's the first print ad I've seen for the new TL.

It's in today's NY Times Magazine, spanning two full pages, right near the front. IT TOTALLY BLEW MY MIND -- not just because of how great an ad it is (which it is), but because of how differently I viewed the car from that ad than I ever viewed it before.

I usually look at a car in terms of the automotive basics -- not any of the technical aspects (which I don't understand extremely well), but just basic stuff like handling, ride, comfort, and basic feel, plus certain other basic things that you can tell only through research, like reliability. I've always said (including on this site many times) that I don't care much about the non-automotive frills and extras, things like sound system and Nav and Bluetooth, etc. I just want to know about the CAR.

But, seeing this ad, I realized that this "non-automotive" stuff totally jumped out at me, and that if I was just first finding out about the car, I'd be drooling over those things. Part of it also is how well-presented the ad is. It could be a poster. And there's just enough text -- I think most car ads have either too much text or almost none -- and while the text manages to say the essentials about the automotive stuff, it highlights these extra features very nicely. It gets across the message that this car has these neat extra things, and that overall the car is as state-of-the-art as it gets.

If I were actively looking for a car and I saw this ad, I'd be basically sold on it already. The test drive would almost be just a formality.

Another thing: There seem to be just 3 other car ads in the magazine. The TL ad far outshines the others. The TL ad appears first, then there's a big Maxima ad, also 2 pages and very attractive, but which, after the TL ad, seems basically to just shrug and say almost nothing. There's a Toyota ad which focuses on hybrid stuff, and finally a GM ad focusing on the company's history of safety features. As a knee-jerk liberal, I'm into hybrid stuff and safety as much as anybody, but I think that just about anybody who sees these 4 ads is going to be struck by the Acura ad way more than the others.