Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I love it in Black. Beautiful car!

Old 08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pictures can be deceiving, but that's gotta be one of the nicest interiors I've seen in a pontiac.

The exterior looks good, but for some reason the front end turns me off...reminds me a little of Johnny #5 (from "Short Circuit").
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Mobile on demand Agent

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
....but for some reason the front end turns me off...reminds me a little of Johnny #5 (from "Short Circuit").
You have issues, clearly.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jt24yo
You have issues, clearly.

are you telling me you don't see it?!?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I'm gonna give the best interior award to Saturn.
Nice try Pontiac, but too much black plastic.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks a little like a front engined MR2
Old 08-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

I'm gonna give the best interior award to Saturn.
Nice try Pontiac, but too much black plastic.
Why doesnt the Sky use as much...plastic? I doubt that's leather there or some other more epensive material. From a quality of materials used standpoint, they are par. So the only thing to call the leader is by design. And because the Solstice's design is a lot cleaner, while the Sky's is a lot "busier", I give my nod to the Solstice.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Damm good photography.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice... I do like the interior on my GTO better however.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:55 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,844 Likes on 2,584 Posts
Interior of the Solstice is the pontiac interior ive ever seen (at least in photos)

Compared to the Sky, its not as busy and more oriented to the driver....Solstice for the win. I want to test drive one of these things.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2006 Pontiac Solstice - - Going toe to toe with the Miata – and scoring some direct hits. - - by Paul A. Eisenstein - - Source: The Car Connection

There was an audible gasp when General Motors rolled out the Pontiac Solstice concept car during the Detroit auto show, in January 2004 - quickly followed by skeptical sighs. Over the years, the giant automaker has unveiled countless sexy show cars that have never made it into showrooms - or worse, which have been mangled by the production process, like another Pontiac prototype, the Aztek.

General Motors' decision to put the Solstice into production thus generated a mix of excitement and skepticism. Would the automaker retain the show car's over-the-top styling, back-to-basics roadster dynamics, and its promised under-$20,000 price tag?

After a surprisingly short wait, the Solstice is back, this time in production trim. If you've got a pair of calipers, you'll likely find a few minor dimensional changes, but the roadster that TheCarConnection.com got to drive, a few weeks back, is uncannily close to the concept car that first debuted at Detroit 's Cobo Hall.

Kappa, Kappa, Kappa

Getting there was no mean feat. GM engineers had to come up with an all-new platform. Dubbed Kappa, it will serve as the "architecture" for an assortment of other specialty vehicles, such as the upcoming Saturn Sky. The automaker also had to raid its parts bin for pieces the Solstice could share with other GM products in a bid to hold down production costs.

The strategy worked. The 2006 Solstice is visually striking, a blast to drive and comes in moderately well equipped at a base price of just $19,995.

A multi-hued lineup of roadsters beckoned as we stepped out of our hotel on a brisk but sunny morning. Despite the chill of the Portland air, we were intent on driving al fresco. Lowering the roof is a reasonably simple operation: press a button on the instrument panel to pop the speedster-style rear clamshell, lift it up and then fold back the canvas top. Though you do have to get out of the car, it is, at worst, a 30-second effort.

Back behind the wheel and buckled up, we listened with delight as the 2.4-liter in-line four fired up. The measure of a great automobile can be found in the smallest details, and it was good to discover that the Solstice engineering team had put some effort into getting the powertrain sound just right.

Of course, they had a good role model. Mazda engineers reportedly studied the exhaust note of more than 100 different roadsters and sports cars when they developed the original Miata.

Miata vs. Solstice

The third generation of that Japanese roadster has just gone on sale, and whether the timing is purely coincidental, it's good news for motorists. Comparisons between the Miata and Solstice will be frequent and unavoidable. Mazda has actually made a point of addressing the issue online.

Nowhere is the contrast more obvious than in exterior design. The Miata has always been a classic roadster, and despite minor changes, the '06 update looks much like the original.

The long-nosed Solstice is much more of a head-turner. With top down, the speedster-style headrests provide the car's visual signature.

The original design emerged from the pen of Franz Von Holzhausen, part of the team at GM's California design studio. Maintaining the low cowl of the concept car was no easy matter, but GM succeeded admirably.

The production car is as curvaceous as the latest Hollywood starlet, with virtually no straight lines or right angles to be found. GM actually had to come up with a new process to shape the large sheetmetal panels, the first such application of hydroforming, which is more commonly used to bend truck frame rails.

Be aware that you'll be likely to spend a lot of your time dealing with gawkers. Folks would follow us for miles out of their way to check out all the angles and chat, if they could catch us at a light.

Seating is comfortable, with precisely the right amount of lateral support you'd want while pushing the roadster through the tight-and-twisties. One complaint, though, is the way the windshield header blocked our view of stoplights, though at 6' 2", we are a bit taller than most drivers. Mazda's latest roadster has largely solved this problem. The Miata, meanwhile, has significantly more trunk space than GM could cram under the Solstice clamshell.

Rocket science

The beating heart of Solstice is that 2.4-liter version of the Ecotec engine, here making 177 horsepower. That's seven more than the '06 Miata, but at 2860 pounds, the Solstice has nearly 400 pounds more to haul around. It's still able to deliver 0-60 times of 7.2 seconds, and clocks an aero drag-limited top speed of 123 mph. No rocket, perhaps, but more than entertaining.

And as we learned long ago while driving Triumphs and MGs, off-the-line acceleration matters a little less with a roadster than the brio of a top-down driving experience. During a long day of driving through the scenic Columbia River Gorge, dividing Oregon and Washington , we found that the best way to describe that experience was great.

The throttle is extremely responsive, as is the roadster's five-speed gearbox. Yes, Miata does offer an optional six-speed manual, but cognoscenti know that the five-speed has the shorter, smoother throw, so we'll call this a wash. The Miata also offers a six-speed automatic. The Solstice won't get its auto until next year, after it's launched on the Saturn Sky.

The stiff Kappa platform is more than up to the task at hand. And so is the suspension, using forged short/long-arms front and rear, along with Bilstein monotube shocks. Pontiac claims the Solstice can deliver 0.9 Gs on the skid pad, and though we didn't get track time, our experience suggested the numbers are realistic.

Steering is precise and direct, as you'd expect from a much more expensive sports car. We were especially surprised at the way the suspension soaked up roadway bumps while maintaining its grip on the Gorge's tight and twisty roads. Oversized brakes proved useful throughout the day, Pontiac claiming 60-0 stops in just 115 feet.

Pontiac has big plans for Solstice. It's lined up a super-sized option catalogue, everything from 18-inch wheels to a modified intake system that can add another 5 hp. Both supercharger and turbo kits are now being offered for the Ecotec, though it's not clear they'll fit under the hood in current form. But company insiders hint they'll offer one or both as factory options in the near future.

Overall, the Solstice is everything we could have hoped for, especially if GM was intent on maintaining the show car's compact dimensions. The new Pontiac yields a few points to Miata, but it also scores quite a few, not the least for its striking looks. It's a fun car to drive, and easy to enjoy on even the longest trips. Bottom line, we expect that each car will develop its own following and provide a much-needed boost to the sluggish roadster market.

We have reason to feel confident. Pontiac already claims 9000 "sold orders." That's about half a year's production. With a slow initial roll-out, you'll be lucky to take delivery any time before next spring, even if you were to plunk down a deposit today.

Pontiac is in need of more excitement and frankly, more showroom traffic these days. The Solstice has a big mission ahead of it - propping up a division struggling to find its direction in the clash of GM brands. Few cars would be up to such a challenge - but we think Solstice is the little roadster that could.

2006 Pontiac Solstice
Base price: $19,995

Engine: 2.4-liter in-line four, 177 hp/166 lb-ft
Transmission: Five-speed manual, rear-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 157.2 x 71.3 x 50.1 in
Wheelbase: 95.1 in
Curb weight: 2860 lb
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 20/28 mpg
Safety equipment: Dual front and side airbags; anti-lock brakes
Major standard features: 18-inch alloy wheels; AM/FM/CD sound; tilt wheel; rear defroster
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles

Old 08-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
While staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Linthicum Hts, Md, a Solstice parked next to my sister's minivan. MrDeeno is right, it does look MUCH better in person than in pics.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
definetly a step forward for GM
Old 08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Drifting

Saw these pics on ebay, this thing looks HOT in black!

Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I love this car... Looks beautiful in black. Not sure if I like this or the Sky better though.. I go back and forth
Old 08-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I seen like 4 in Motor City and think its such a great looking car. It always catches my eye. I will def drive one!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
GM says it will build 7,000 Solstices this year, has 13,000 orders; production to speed up
JAMIE LAREAU | Automotive News
Posted Date: 9/7/05

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Nearly half of the customers who have ordered the new Pontiac Solstice won't get the roadster until next year.

General Motors expects to build 7,000 units this year, Lori Queen, GM's vehicle line executive for small cars, said at a press event here. GM has 13,000 orders for the car.

Queen says production should speed up in the next 30 days. Solstice production started in mid-July at GM's Wilmington, Del., plant. The automaker had built 1,840 units through Thursday, Sept. 1.

"Now that we're building in higher volumes than we did in the early, early phases, we're seeing bottlenecks and areas that aren't building as smoothly as you'd like them to build," Queen said.

Initial problems with roof leakage and front-end fit are fixed, though.

Pontiac debuted the car on the April 14 episode of NBC's "The Apprentice" TV show. During that show, 1,000 customers placed orders for special versions of the car. Queen said about 750 of the "Apprentice" orders have been filled.

The Solstice is the first vehicle on GM's new rear-wheel-drive Kappa architecture.

GM uses the term "architecture" to signify a common set of components, performance characteristics, a common manufacturing process, a range of dimensions and connecting points for key component systems.

GM has said it developed the Kappa vehicles to be profitable at low volumes by using existing GM parts and innovative production.

For example, the company set up a small body-shop module rather than a mainstream automated body shop. The car's chassis and underbody are hand-welded.

"If you want to do more volume, you have to put in more modules for the body shop," Queen says, adding that GM doesn't intend to do that.

GM will build the Solstice and eventually the Saturn Sky roadsters on Kappa architecture, producing between 20,000 to 30,000 of the two cars annually, she said.

Pontiac Marketing Director Mark-Hans Richer said from 17,000 to 18,000 of those cars could be Solstices. GM also will produce a Kappa roadster for its European brand, Opel, in Wilmington.

GM to Solstice buyers: Stay cool

Pontiac's new Solstice is sure getting a lot of buzz. Mostly, it's good buzz, but not all.

After Solstice buyers openly complained on General Motors' FastLane Internet blog about slow shipments of their convertibles, GM responded.

In a posting titled "About the Solstice" last week on FastLane, Tom Kowaleski, GM's vice president of communications, apologized to Solstice buyers for delays in delivery.

"Sorry if we are frustrating you; believe me: We are just as eager to get these cars on the road as you are," Kowaleski wrote. He said GM is taking extra time "to make sure all is just right. We're paying special attention to fits and finishes, interior materials and trim, and all elements of the car's operation."

GM has been slowly increasing production at its plant in Wilmington, Del.

"The Pontiac marketing team … continues to communicate with owners, particularly the first 1,000," wrote Kowaleski. "But they can't get the cars out of Wilmington any faster."

One Solstice customer, who said his dealer just delayed delivery of his car by two additional weeks, had a reply for GM: "Something is a little fishy here."
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Race Director

Finally an exciting American car from Pontiac, much much better than their overhyped "first ever G6".
Old 09-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Mobile on demand Agent

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Finally an exciting American car from Pontiac, much much better than their overhyped "first ever G6".
couldn't have said it better.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Drifting

looks good.

i'm just not convinced about its reliability, given their history...
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Hey........I think My LS1 trans Am is exciting.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
looks good.

i'm just not convinced about its reliability, given their history...
Unless the wheels fall off, what are is not going to be reliable. The Ecotec is one of the worlds most proven motors. It has proved itself in street and fleet use for years. The tranny they use isnt new either. Other than taht, this car should be solid. Every car has their first year problems. Shit, Honda didnt get the Auto trannies in their J series problem cars fixed until........oh wait, they still arent fully fixed.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
cant wait for teh SC version
Old 09-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

That will deserve a serious look!!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

It's going to be a Turbo.. There's a thread about it with pictures somewhere in this forum
Old 09-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
It's a nice car. For the price, I think it could really help turn things around for GM. Now what they need to do is offer a gorgeous sedan at that price.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by youngTL
It's a nice car. For the price, I think it could really help turn things around for GM. Now what they need to do is offer a gorgeous sedan at that price.
If they put as much effort into designing a sedan as they did with this car, GM would be back in business.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
It's going to be a Turbo.. There's a thread about it with pictures somewhere in this forum
i dont think so. i think they are going to use the same SC from the Redline and the cobalt but rated at 240.

if i had my latest MT here i could say for sure, i know they state what its going to be (just know its FI)
im almost 100% positive its going to be SC

Last edited by fsttyms1; 09-09-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:01 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I love this car but i think that the Sky is a million times better than the Solstice. The interior of the Sky, i think, is amazing, it looks real sharp. Even the Solstics interior is amazing for a GM, why cant they do things like this in the Corvette? cause that interior sux!....
Old 09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Mobile on demand Agent

Originally Posted by stangg172004
I love this car but i think that the Sky is a million times better than the Solstice. The interior of the Sky, i think, is amazing, it looks real sharp. Even the Solstics interior is amazing for a GM, why cant they do things like this in the Corvette? cause that interior sux!....

you're high, aren't you?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

i dont think so. i think they are going to use the same SC from the Redline and the cobalt but rated at 240.

if i had my latest MT here i could say for sure, i know they state what its going to be (just know its FI)
im almost 100% positive its going to be SC
Look at page 6 of this thread:

C&G Spy Shots: 2007 Solstice GXP, GTP, GT Whatever You Want It TO BE!

"Whoops! Who Left The Hood Up?"

That rascally wabbit Chris Doane is at it again. This time it's the high performance model of the Pontiac Solstice! Rumors have been floating around as to not "if" but "when" a high performance model would be available for the Solstice, even as the current model is not even on sale yet! Step inside for the details.

C&G expects the 2007 HiPo Solstice to feature an INTERCOOLED (pictured) turbo charger. As you can see the hood was left open on this test mule leading to this spy shot of the turbo charged model. The new, powerful, faster Solstice will feature a true dual exhaust system and will come attached to either a 5 speed manual transmission or 5 speed automatic transmission. (Who wants an auto in a vehicle like this anyway!?)

It is expected that this high performance Solstice will feature a revised front fascia to accommodate for the turbo charger. We expect the power to be somewhere in the 240hp+ range.
MT mag is reporting that the reason for the 2 month delay in the production of the Solstice was due to a GM executive having a problem with the quality of the interior and ordering a change, last minute.

The force fed Solstice will not be supercharged but turbocharged. It will have a 2.2 liter 4 cyl. turbo engine making around 240HP, per the mag.

This engine sounds to me as a European Opel derivative used today.
Meanwhile, with the 2006 Pontiac Solstice roadster due this fall, we’re already getting word that the hotted-up version is nearing completion. Though General Motors tested both supercharged and turbocharged versions of the 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder, our spies tell us the General has settled on an intercooled turbo to push the base Solstice engine to 250 hp.

We’ll see the high-performance turbo-powered Solstice GXP, with dual exhaust and a six-speed manual tranny, on sale next year as a 2007 model.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jt24yo
you're high, aren't you?
what u like corvette interiors?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
C&D subjective comparison between the Solstice and the MX-5 had the Solstice as their choice ... But that was more of a seat of the pants kind of thing.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Drifting

Edmund's Full Test: 2006 Pontiac Solstice

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...line.promo.3.*

The production 2006 Pontiac Solstice looks remarkably close to the 2002 Detroit Auto Show concept car, from the compound fenders to the oversize 18-inch alloy wheels. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

High door sills and a wraparound dash make the Solstice feel like a car you put on, rather than get into. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

Rear deck cowlings give the Solstice unmistakable sports car flair, but the bumps also make top operation complicated. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

Power comes from a 2.4-liter inline four borrowed from the Chevy Cobalt and tweaked to produce 177 horsepower and 166 lb-ft of torque. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

The new Pontiac roadster's looks are a modern take on a retro theme, with styling inspired by 1950s sports cars like Lister, Scarab and Jaguar D-Type. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

(Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

The Solstice has a flowing look to it, thanks to a new steel-forming process that uses water pressure to stamp complex compound curves. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

A single chrome tip hints at the car's sporting intentions with a soulful bellow. Performance exhaust and a stainless steel tip are available as dealer options. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

Eighteen-inch five-spoke aluminum wheels mounted with 245-series Goodyear Eagles are standard; having them polished costs $495 extra. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets

Rack and pinion steering, a Corvette-derived suspension design, and massive tires give the Solstice a surefooted feel at speed. (Photo courtesy of Jim Fets)

Let the Sun Shine In

By Dan Kahn
Date posted: 09-15-2005

Vehicle Tested:
2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
MSRP of Test Vehicle: $24,940

What Works:
Gorgeous lines, lots of legroom, crankin' stereo, sharp handling.

What Needs Work:
Sluggish engine, complicated top, hard plastic interior, tiny trunk.

Bottom Line:
Half the price of a Corvette, more than half the fun.

* 177 horsepower
* 2,860 pounds
* Hydroformed Corvette-style frame
* $19,420 base price

The sun is beating down, wind is whipping over a raked-back windshield, and our slinky steed is swallowing asphalt at one-and-a-half miles per minute. We're driving a 2006 Pontiac Solstice from Northern Oregon to Los Angeles in a single day, and life is good.

After 1,000 miles, we can safely say that GM's sporty little roadster is a rolling grin machine. It's like one of those quarter-operated mechanical spaceships in front of the supermarket, only for grownups.

And the best part: The fun starts for only $19,420, and a fully loaded model like the one we're driving costs a tick under $25 grand. That's less than half the cost of a Corvette convertible, and the Solstice roadster is more than half the fun.

Concept to Reality
Shortly after GM product czar Bob Lutz signed on to help enhance the company's product line, he asked Pontiac designers to come up with a rear-wheel-drive roadster concept.

They called it the Solstice, and response was so positive at the 2002 North American International Auto Show that Lutz made it his mission to see the concept translated into a production vehicle. And 27 months later (a blink of an eye in automotive terms), Pontiac's first rear-wheel-drive, two-seat roadster is rolling into showrooms.

Downright Sexy
The first thing people notice about the Solstice is its curvaceous body. It's downright sexy. If you don't believe us, ask the half-dozen people who flagged us down just to look at the car.

Part of the car's appeal is that it doesn't have a single flat panel or hard corner. Compound curves and flowing lines give the Solstice a fluid, futuristic look. One-piece body panels like the tilt-up hood and rear deck are unbroken by parting lines or panel gaps. This effect is achieved by hydroforming the sheet metal panels, using water pressure and a single die to form the complex shapes.

Perhaps the most interesting of the car's cosmetic features are the dual cowl bumps on the back deck, a styling element borrowed from 1950s racers. The entire panel flips backward to expose the manual-folding soft top, which is an inconvenient but interesting victory of form over function.

Creative Engineering
In order to finish the car on time and attain a sub-$20K starting price, Solstice designers and engineers had to borrow a few things from the GM parts bins. Things like the rear independent suspension and large 11.7-inch front and 10.9-inch rear disc brakes were all borrowed from the Cadillac CTS.

Although its hydroformed steel chassis is very similar to the backbone of the Corvette, it's an all-new platform, called Kappa, and was designed specifically for the Solstice. The result is a very solid car that doesn't suffer from much cowl shake or flex despite the lack of a solid roof.

The front suspension, which consists of unique short/long control arms and Bilstein coil-over shocks, is also exclusive to the Solstice, as is the steering system. The bulk of GM's current crop of passenger cars uses electrically assisted steering, but engineers on the Solstice project decided to go with a Borg Warner hydraulic rack and pinion unit to maximize precision and road feel.

Also adding to the car's sporting feel are massive 245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle all-season tires mounted on 18-by-8-inch alloy wheels. That's a lot of tire for a 2,860-pound four-cylinder roadster, and they make the Solstice feel glued to the ground.

The Other Roadster
Unlike the Mazda MX-5 Miata we recently tested, the Solstice doesn't feel like a razor-sharp racer with some luxury thrown in for the street. It's a cruiser with sporting tendencies, but we took the car through a few aggressive Southern California canyons and walked away impressed by its grip and fun factor.

When thrown into a corner, the Solstice exhibits little body roll and moderate understeer until you hammer the throttle, then the car rotates slightly. It won't swing its tail out on command like the Mazda, but for most drivers the car's substantial lateral grip and quick steering make it a fun and engaging canyon companion.

That impression was backed up at the test track, where the Solstice ran the slalom at 64.3 mph, a fair bit faster than the last MX-5 we tested at 61.5 mph. The trend reversed itself during the brake test, however, when the Mazda stopped from 60 mph in just 115.9 feet, beating the Pontiac's 121.5 feet.

It should be noted that we tested the cars at different tracks under different conditions, and a more precise head-to-head comparison test is coming soon.

Under the Hood
Parts sharing didn't stop with the Solstice's chassis. Power comes from a normally aspirated 2.4-liter Ecotec inline four borrowed from the Chevy Cobalt, and it's partnered with a five-speed manual transmission borrowed from the Chevy Colorado pickup.

Although the engine features an aluminum-block, dual-overhead camshafts and variable valve timing, it doesn't feel much like a sports car engine. With 177 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 166 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm, it makes more power than the Miata's 2.0-liter, but the Ecotec revs slower than Mazda's four and crudely hangs on to revs when you back off the throttle.

Gear spacing in the transmission is also very wide, which exacerbates the engine's lazy acceleration. It seems to take forever to need the next gear, and on tight mountain roads you often find yourself at the bottom of one gear or the top of another when you should be in the middle of the engine's power band. For those who don't like to shift gears, an automatic will be available in April 2006.

While not exactly a rocket ship, the Solstice performs well. We clicked off zero to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds, and eclipsed the quarter-mile in 15.8 seconds at 87 mph. In contrast, the six-speed Miata, which is about 350 pounds lighter and geared shorter, is a bit faster, running zero to 60 in 7.5 seconds and sprinting the quarter in 15.3 seconds at 89 mph.

On the Road
With 42.7 inches of legroom and 38.5 inches of headroom, the Solstice feels roomy with the top up or down. Although the Miata offers 43.1 inches of legroom and 37.4 inches of headroom, it feels much more cramped than the Solstice, which is nearly 4 inches wider.

You sit relatively low in the cabin. The Solstice has a wraparound dash and high door sills that surround the driver like the cockpit of a fighter jet, and its bolstered seats are comfortable and supportive.

A thickly padded leather-wrapped steering wheel always feels sporty, so Pontiac includes one standard. A short-throw shifter, large speedometer and tachometer, and an optional driver information center add to the effect.

Overall interior fit and finish is very good, with tight gaps and smooth seams. The climate control system is effective and easy to use with three big knobs, and the optional seven-speaker Monsoon stereo is outstanding, even with the top down at highway speeds. See our stereo review for more on that.

Speaking of the retractable top, we found the Solstice's little bonnet looks a lot better hidden in the trunk. The top's "flying buttress" design looks similar to the one on the Ferrari 430 Spyder, but it doesn't seal very well along the back edge. This looks a little funny and creates wind noise on the highway.

Putting the top down requires the driver to turn a latch on the windshield, pop the rear deck lid with a button in the glovebox, then get out of the car and manually fold the top down into its well before slamming the rear deck closed. Putting the top back up requires a similar process, with the added chore of snapping the buttresses into place by hand. It's not difficult, but is a bit tedious compared to the MX-5's one-handed operation.

Conclusion
As we write this, GM has just revised its 2006 Pontiac Solstice total production run to 18,000 units. The company claims to have orders for over 15,000 cars, but if you really want one, there should be a few left at local dealers by the time 2006 rolls around.

The Solstice is going to be a very popular car, and we can understand why. It's a sexy, affordable and truly American sports car. In other words, it's just what most roadster buyers are looking for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stereo Evaluation

System Score: 9.0

Components: GM's new "Black Tie" AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback provides a clear signal, and our tester came equipped with the $495 premium in-dash six-disc CD changer and the $325 XM Satellite Radio option. The head unit is simple to operate, and new preset tab buttons allow users to save up to 30 AM, FM and XM stations at the same time. Our test car also had the $395 Premium Monsoon Speaker System, which includes four midrange drivers, two directional tweeters in the dash, and a powered subwoofer behind the passenger seat. It's also worth noting that all Solstice stereos come standard with an auxiliary plug in the dash for iPods and other portable music players.

Performance: The system sounds amazingly clear, even with the top down at freeway speed. We cranked up Guns N' Roses to 11 on our iPod — which usually distorts like crazy — and Axl sounded clear as a bell. The sub provides a nice touch of bass without going overboard and vibrating the windows, although it is capable of serious pounding if that's your thing.

The XM radio is a must-have feature. It provides CD quality sound and a great selection of tunes. We also love the preset buttons that allow you to sort through AM, FM and XM stations and save all three on the same preset row. Between the stereo's MP3 compatibility, the iPod port, XM radio and a six-disc CD changer, we were literally stunned by the vast array of entertainment options. Controls on the steering wheel for volume, source and track are also a nice touch. Overall performance is stellar, especially for a sub-$25K car.

Best Feature: Clear sound quality and an easy-to-use interface.

Worst Feature: The display washes out in direct sunlight.

Conclusion: The Solstice is out to change America's opinion of GM, and the little roadster's stereo will definitely help. The standard system sounds great, but if you can dig up the extra $800 for seven Monsoon speakers and a premium six-disc changer, it's money well spent. With crystal-clear sound, an easy-to-operate head unit and a standard iPod interface, this is one of the best sound system bargains currently available on the market today. — Dan Kahn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Opinion

Editor in Chief Karl Brauer says:
I wish the Solstice had a more powerful drivetrain, a top I could raise/lower without leaving the driver seat, and a radio display that didn't completely wash out in bright sunlight. I wish it had these things because then there'd be no concrete points for the Solstice nonbelievers to gripe about. But despite these failings, there are some undisputed facts to keep in mind when asking the inevitable "Solstice or Miata?" question. The Solstice costs less, has larger tires, a roomier interior, a superior sound system, better ride quality and essentially the same level of performance.

"Yes," the Miata crowd will reply, "but is it as fun to drive?"

Well, since I value interior space and comfort, pleasant ride quality, a high-quality sound system and increased cornering grip in my two-seat roadsters, my answer is an unequivocal "YES, IT IS!" I'll readily admit that the Mazda is easier to rotate, and it provides a bit more feedback through the chassis and steering wheel, but we're talking a matter of degrees, not vast, monumental distances. We've run both around a racetrack for lap times. The result? A dead heat. So all that "roadster passion" in the Miata doesn't actually translate to better performance. And to throw in a purely subjective point, the Solstice looks cooler, too.

They're both fine roadsters. But the Solstice is better at playing the role of real-world road car, too. While the Miata guys are touting "undiluted passion" and "true sports car character," I'll be busy cranking the tunes and relaxing in the comfortable cabin. Until we start doing hot laps at the local club event, that is — at which point I'll be shadowing them around the racetrack.

Production Editor Caroline Pardilla says:
My pulse raced and I felt a little light-headed. No, I didn't just have a run-in with Brad Pitt. Rather, I went for a spin in the Pontiac Solstice. I had coveted this roadster ever since I first saw it on The Apprentice.

It's an attractive car and certainly gets a lot of double-takes. While driving along the beach on Pacific Coast Highway, I got tailed by a G-Wagen that tried to keep up just so the driver could take in its lines. When I parked in a lot next to a Z28, its owner rushed up to the Solstice with a big smile on his face saying, "I have to look at it. I have to!"

Yes, gawkers galore lusted after its exterior lines, and the Solstice is a blast to drive, but compared to the newly redesigned Miata I drove, its build and materials quality was rough. Sitting in the driver seat, I felt awash in a sea of cheap plastic. Hard plastics abound, pieces nearly coming off, a rickety shifter and a groaning clutch. Granted, this was a preproduction model, but it doesn't give me a good feeling about GM's commitment to quality.

Sure, it's a fun ride and it looks exotic for the $20K price tag, but for about the same money you could get a better-crafted, equally entertaining MX-5.

Consumer Commentary

"This convertible has it all. To view this beauty from a distance with its flowing lines and growling grille tells you in your first glance that this car is destined to be a classic. Its interior is a beautifully trimmed cockpit with high-quality fit, finish, and materials. This is a car that is the fulfillment of my dream to own a true performance roadster that is most importantly American through and through. At just over $20K there is NOTHING that can come even close. I have driven the Solstice's competition from Honda, Mazda and BMW. They can't match this car's looks or performance at the price. Favorite features: The body, baby! Suggested improvements: Increase storage." — Billdaman, May 5, 2005

"I love this car. The ride is smooth, yet the car is powerful. The lines are sexy. Everywhere I drive, heads turn. The wind isn't bad at all with the top down. Favorite features: Body style, sound system. Suggested improvements: Get the car fully loaded! You can't beat the price. The power package, leather, and sound system with XM radio really made a difference." — Troy, June 1, 2005

Specs & Performance

Vehicle
Model Year: 2006
Make: Pontiac
Model: Solstice
Style: N/A
Base Price: $19,420
Price as Tested: $24,940
Drive Type: RWD
Transmission Type: 5-speed manual
Displacement (liters): 2.4
Engine Type: I-4
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 177@6600
Torque (ft-lbs @ rpm): 166@4800
Braking System: 4-wheel disc
Steering System: Power rack and pinion
Suspension Type (front): Indepenent w/ stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Indepenent w/ stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): 245/45R18
Tire Size (rear): 245/45R18
Tire Brand: Goodyear
Tire Model: Eagle RS-A
Curb Weight (lbs): 2860
Recommended Fuel: 87
Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 13
EPA Fuel Economy (mpg): N/A City N/A Highway
Edmunds Observed (mpg): 22.4

Conditions for Testing
Temperature (Fahrenheit): 72
Humidity: Not Tested
Elevation (ft): 180
Wind: 2 mph SE

Performance
0 - 30 (sec): 2.9
0 - 45 (sec): 5.1
0 - 60 (sec): 7.7
0 - 75 (sec): 12.0
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 15.82@87.01
30 - 0 (ft): 29.33
60 - 0 (ft): 121.57
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Slalom (mph): 64.3
Turning Circle (ft), curb-to-curb: 35
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Excellent
Db @ Idle: 54.7
Db @ Full Throttle: 82.1
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 73.3

Acceleration: The 2.4 liter inline four in the Solstice makes adequate power, but feels a bit pedestrian for a two-seat sports roadster. Redline is set at 6,800 rpm and the rev limiter comes in at 7,000rpm. We achieved our best times by launching at 4,100 rpm, and there was no traction or stability control to hamper the launches. Giant 245-series tires helped with traction and eliminated wheelspin. The gear ratios in the 5-speed transmission are very wide, especially between third and fourth.

Braking: We noted some ABS noise and vibration under hard braking, but nothing unexpected. Pedal feel is very good, firm with progressive action and positive feedback. We did note a bit of front-end dive, although it is acceptable. All three 60-0 runs were uneventful and produced extremely similar numbers, with only two feet seperating the longest stop from the shortest.
Handling: The Solstice feels heavier than its closest competitor (the Mazda Miata), but it can carry more speed because of its larger wheel/tire combo. It takes a lot of speed to get this car to rotate, but it is also very easy to catch when it finally does start to oversteer. It's too bad the engine is weak, with no bottom-end torque and sluggish pick-up, because the chassis feels very tight and dialed-in.

Specifications
Length: 157.2
Width: 71.3
Height: 50.1
Wheelbase: 95.1
Legroom (front): 42.7
Legroom (rear): N/A
Headroom (front): 38.5
Headroom (rear): N/A
Maximum Seating Capacity: 2
Cargo Volume: 4 cu. Ft.
Maximum Cargo Volume (rear seats down): 4 cu. Ft.

Warranty Information
Bumper-to-Bumper: 3 years / 36,000 miles
Power Train: 3 years / 36,000 miles

Corrosion: 6 years / 100,000 miles
Roadside Assistance: 3 years / 36,000 miles
Scheduled Maintenance: N/A

Safety Information
Front Airbags: Standard
Side Airbags: Not Available
Head Airbags: Not Available
Antilock Brakes: Optional
Electronic Brake Enhancements: Not Available
Traction Control: Not Available
Stability Control: Not Available
Rollover Protection: Standard
Emergency Assistance System: Optional
NHTSA Crash Test Driver: Not Tested
NHTSA Crash Test Passenger: Not Tested
NHTSA Crash Test Side Front: Not Tested
NHTSA Crash Test Side Rear: Not Tested
NHTSA Rollover: Not Tested
IIHS Offset: Not Tested
Old 09-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Wish they would turn these cars into coupes ala z4. Roadster is completely impractical.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

aaaaahhh!!! Put the top down! It burns my eyes!!!

Old 09-16-2005, 04:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Wish they would turn these cars into coupes ala z4. Roadster is completely impractical.
Not if you live in So. Cal.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Car News briefs: Pontiac's Solstice going for thousands over sticker - - SOurce: Autoweek

Well, that didn't take long. With demand far outstripping supply, the Pontiac Solstice, which went on sale in early August, typically fetches about $5,000 over sticker price on eBay, AutoTrader.com and at dealerships.

That makes the new roadster the hottest Pontiac in years.

One eBay bidder dropped $32,900 for one of the low-slung roadsters, which start at $19,995 and rise to $24,700 fully loaded.

Some of the first 1,000 cars, which were sold to buyers through a promotion on the hit TV show "The Apprentice," are bringing an even bigger premium. One eBayer paid $10,000 for the right to buy car number 664.

GM says it will build about 7,000 Solstices this year.

Pontiac dealers have ordered 13,000 Solstices; many won't get more than one until next year.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

One eBayer paid $10,000 for the right to buy car number 664.
Moron

Quick Reply: Pontiac: Solstice News