Pontiac: Solstice News

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by charliemike
I'm assuming this is not for U.S. consumption (the Daewoo)?
I am guessing it will show up here for sure.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
I am guessing it will show up here for sure.
Really? I thought for sure GM killed the brand in the U.S. for good. I hope they don't spread the Kappa platform to thin in one market (the U.S.).
Old 05-30-2004, 07:16 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Daewoos are really popular in Puerto Rico. I've never seen them in the US though. I'm sure there are some regional markets in the US where they're sold.
I didn't know they were a GM-owned company.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I do beleive that daewoo is no longer in the US. I had one as rental in 2000 so I know they used to be here, but I seem to remember something about them pulling out.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Safety Car

Yeah. GM bought it, but pulled the brand out of the U.S., even though there are a few rebranded Daewoo's running around today (Chevy Aveo).
Old 09-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Pontiac says Solstice will outsprint Miata - - Source: Autoweek

Solstice promises

Though nine months from market, Pontiac’s Solstice roadster is already strutting its stuff. Solstice program chief Lori Queen says while the Pontiac will be bigger than a Miata but nowhere near as expensive and high-revving as a Honda S2000, Solstice buyers can plan on Miata-beater acceleration right out of the box.

"We do 0 to 60 faster than a Miata," assures Queen. The last Miata AutoWeek tested posted a 7.89-second
0-to-60 time; the MazdaSpeed version in the Aug. 30 issue consistently ran sub-sevens.

Queen won’t confirm reports that the edgy Vauxhall VX Lightning will be the styling model for Saturn’s version of the Solstice. But she did say the Saturn due in fall 2005 will be "more creased" than the Saturn Curve concept unveiled last January in Detroit.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

That's gonna be a cool ass little roadster. I wish I had $22K for a weekend toy.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Only prob is, they are comparing cars out now, yet the car won't be out for ~9months. A new miata is on the way, they really should aim higher than 7's.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The Promise of Solstice - - By Bob Lutz - GM Vice Chairman - Source: fastlane.gmblogs.com

Doing a great roadster for $35,000-$45,OOO is a feat mastered by several automobile companies. In fact, it's relatively routine. It's doing that desirable, high-content roadster for under $2O,OOO that challenges an automobile company.

That’s what we promised we would do with the Pontiac Solstice when we announced we would put it into production, and that’s what I’m officially announcing today, here on GM FastLane, for the first time.

When Solstice goes on sale this summer, it will, officially, be priced at $19,995 — and that includes the $575 destination charge. You heard it here first.

That’s not for a stripped down model, either. That sub-$20,000 price gets you 177 horsepower mated to a five-speed manual transmission, 18-inch wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes, glass rear window, and a CD-player as standard equipment.

So there you have it. A roadster inspired by the European classics of yesterday, styled very much like the concept car of a few years ago, priced under $20,000 as promised today. Solstice is a true driver’s car, and it will be in Pontiac showrooms this summer. We look forward to your reactions...

Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Bob Lutz

That’s not for a stripped down model, either. That sub-$20,000 price gets you 177 horsepower mated to a five-speed manual transmission, 18-inch wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes, glass rear window, and a CD-player as standard equipment.

So there you have it. A roadster inspired by the European classics of yesterday, styled very much like the concept car of a few years ago, priced under $20,000 as promised today. Solstice is a true driver’s car, and it will be in Pontiac showrooms this summer. We look forward to your reactions...

Wow! He sounds cocky and confident about this one. That's how it should be too. GM should be leading not following.

Let's see how it drives and how it hold up.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
sub-$20k price...

I may be prepared to violate my own principles and consider getting an American car...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
sub-$20k price...

I may be prepared to violate my own principles and consider getting an American car...
ABout that:

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/bob-lutz-quality-gm-vehicles-vs-rest-297964/
Old 02-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

Sounds likes a good price, have to see how it performs now.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
He sounds cocky and confident about this one. That's how it should be too. GM should be leading not following.

Let's see how it drives and how it hold up.
God damn right. GM should be the cockiest, most arrogant car maker on the planet. But after being humbled by Toyota and company for so many years, it's nice to hear them talking shit. And if anybody can do it, Lutz can. Still, in general, they have along way to go.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Yeah, I know...

Don't worry, I'm too much a man of principle to actually do it, but with cool and cheap cars like this, it's always tempting.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by charliemike
Own a Pontiac and then tell me about the "brand thing"

My friend rented a G6 the other day...

My lord, the quality of plastic and trim were pitiful... and this is the car that they said would spearhead the revival at Pontiac.

Seriously, I've seen Hyundai's with better material inside.

Junkster, who hopes Pontiac doesn't botch this one up
Old 04-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Pontiac tests high-output version of Solstice roadster
By Paul Lienert

Spied on a recent engineering test trip in the mountains, this prototype of the new Pontiac Solstice sports some additional high-performance hardware, including dual exhaust pipes and an intercooled engine.

The high-output model, slated to follow the introduction of the 2006 Solstice by a year, is rumored to be powered by a supercharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that will make around 200 horsepower and will be harnessed to a six-speed manual transmission.

The standard Solstice, which Detroit auto show crowds adored in concept form in 2004, debuts this fall.

The two-seater will be outfitted with a 177-horsepower four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual gearbox, four-wheel disc brakes, 18-inch wheels and tires, a CD player and a glass rear window -- all for $19,995.
Source: detnews

Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
So when is this thing getting released??
Old 04-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Homeless

Wow.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:53 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's gonna be a big hit.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
They can only get 23 horses with a supercharger?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
It'll be released a year after the 06 is introduced.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bl^5
That's dumb. They should get 240hp out of the high output engine for the high performance version. 23 horses isn't enough to make me wait a year... I'd just get the NA version.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
only 23 extra ponies is very weak.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I have a feeling the final version will have more HP than 200
Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by phile
Around a year to a year and a half from now.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by bl^5
I am guessing this is the engine from the Cobalt SS. It's rated at 205 but it's way underrated. Cos the cobalt did 6.1 for the 60mph run and 14.4 for the 1/4 and it's heavier than the SRT4. In other words, think of at least 235HP at the crank. That means that the GXP Solstice should be as quick as an S2000. That aint too shabby.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:04 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

...on a side note: On the TV show The Aprentice, they had a tie in w/ the Solstice. During the show Pontiac had a commercial that stated that starting Tomorrow 4-15-05 at 2PM eastern...you can order/reserve your Solstice at Pontiac dealers.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:06 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Pontiac early order form site:

http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/?c...64180B474306S1
Old 04-15-2005, 01:08 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 04-15-2005, 02:53 AM
Race Director

A) I've never sat in a Pontiac and said to myself, damn this is nice. It's always the opposite, I sit in one, and realize why they are so cheap and why you should just look at another brand if you are into quality.

B) It's nice now, will it remain to be an attractive car you notice once everyone has one? Yes, this means nothing, but I like looking to my right, and seeing my car in the reflection in the mirror of a building. Not looking to my right and seeing another one of these exact same cars in a different color, but probably dirty looking. Hell I thought Nissan Muranos and PT Cruisers were kinda cool when they came out, but now they just look like another leased shitbox u can get for cheap used.

C) Picture it with a front plate. Ugly. Where will the front plate go? stupid design for a car that will probably sell fairly well. People on the road will see the front in oncoming traffic with a front plate covering that cool looking grill, and its gonna then look weird and ugly.

D) none of the above matters, cause it comes down to money and it will sell. @ a business standpoint good car. as an enthuisiast, get this low-quality crap away from me, i'l stick to my japanese cars and german cars.. Makes perfect sense for Trump to be plugging this, i think trumps shit is weak too.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
...on a side note: On the TV show The Aprentice, they had a tie in w/ the Solstice. During the show Pontiac had a commercial that stated that starting Tomorrow 4-15-05 at 2PM eastern...you can order/reserve your Solstice at Pontiac dealers.
Solstice to Star on Apprentice
The Detroit News
April 14, 2005

By Ed Garsten

Tonight's episode of "The Apprentice" promises high drama in the boardroom, but only after those vying to work for Donald Trump first battle it out in GM's high-stakes gamble to use the TV show to make the new Pontiac Solstice a star.

Following in the product-placement footsteps of Domino's Pizza, Burger King and Sony Playstation, GM and the Solstice will play a leading role in the hit show that attracts an average weekly audience of 13.7 million viewers.

The two-seat convertible, which debuts this summer, is the focal point of the task facing the final six players.

Everyone on the team that comes up with the best promotional brochure for an upcoming Solstice sales campaign gets to stay another week. As usual, Trump will fire someone from the losing team.

NBC says the banished player breaks out in tears, the normally gruff billionaire takes pity and "a sincere, tear-filled moment ensues."

General Motors Corp. may be able to stop crying over slumping sales if demand for the Solstice matches early positive reviews.

GM is counting on the little car to build buzz for Pontiac, its performance division. Sales are down 17.1 percent this year.

The Solstice will be produced in low volumes with a starting price of $19,995.

"For a car as special to us as the Solstice, it just seemed like a very breakthrough way of surprising people in that youthful and professional audience," said Mark-Hans Richer, Pontiac marketing director.

GM and The Donald have worked together before. Trump upstaged GM's own high-wattage star, product czar Bob Lutz, at the New York auto show last month during the unveiling of a performance version of Cadillac's XLR roadster.

GM has also tried TV stunts before to showcase new products -- with lackluster results. A starring role in the hit CBS reality show "Survivor" failed to help generate robust sales of the Pontiac Aztek.

And after Oprah Winfrey gave away Pontiac G6s last fall to everyone in her audience -- at an estimated cost of $7 million to GM -- the exposure failed to ignite sales of the car.

It has been estimated that companies pay $2 million to $4 million to have their product featured in "The Apprentice."

Making a new car the star of a television show represents more than simple product placement, GM's Richer says. He calls it "product fusion."

"Our products become a visceral part of the entertainment product ... they become one and the same."

Just how successful the gambit is depends on the quality of the vehicle, says Art Spinella, president of Bandon, Ore.-based CNW Marketing Research.

Spinella said the Solstice looks to have star quality all over it and its prominent role on a hit television show may be just the ticket to boost sales of the entire Pontiac lineup.

"It will generate floor traffic and get some exposure for everything you're offering," he said. "It's probably really good marketing."

Tonight's fired apprentice hopeful may take the loser's ride to the airport in a taxi, but the ultimate "Apprentice" winner will get the Solstice.

Regardless of who The Donald anoints, GM is counting on the Solstice's one-night stand on his show to fire up the sagging Pontiac brand.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by amirsafdari
A) I've never sat in a Pontiac and said to myself, damn this is nice. It's always the opposite, I sit in one, and realize why they are so cheap and why you should just look at another brand if you are into quality.

B) It's nice now, will it remain to be an attractive car you notice once everyone has one? Yes, this means nothing, but I like looking to my right, and seeing my car in the reflection in the mirror of a building. Not looking to my right and seeing another one of these exact same cars in a different color, but probably dirty looking. Hell I thought Nissan Muranos and PT Cruisers were kinda cool when they came out, but now they just look like another leased shitbox u can get for cheap used.

C) Picture it with a front plate. Ugly. Where will the front plate go? stupid design for a car that will probably sell fairly well. People on the road will see the front in oncoming traffic with a front plate covering that cool looking grill, and its gonna then look weird and ugly.

D) none of the above matters, cause it comes down to money and it will sell. @ a business standpoint good car. as an enthuisiast, get this low-quality crap away from me, i'l stick to my japanese cars and german cars.. Makes perfect sense for Trump to be plugging this, i think trumps shit is weak too.
Wow.... Everyone is entitled to their opinions although I almost completely disagree with everything you just said
Old 04-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by amirsafdari
...C) Picture it with a front plate. Ugly. Where will the front plate go? stupid design for a car that will probably sell fairly well. People on the road will see the front in oncoming traffic with a front plate covering that cool looking grill, and its gonna then look weird and ugly.
The same can be said of an MR2.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

You'd think they would release the 205hp version with the base model and I'd bet like their other supercharged ecotecs, the engine will be making a lot more power on the dyno.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Wow.... Everyone is entitled to their opinions although I almost completely disagree with everything you just said

so you

A) are impressed by pontiac interiors and quality

B) Enjoy when cars get played out and look like nothing special on the road

C) Think a front plate will look good on the front of this grille?

D) You dont think its a good business move, and you love trump
Old 04-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Safety Car

The solstice does not seem to be anything like pontiacs that we know of as far as interior/exterior, so A is out the window.

As far as B, well I'd never complain for any automaker building a car many people find attractive and desire to buy. Its like people praising the CL when no one wants it or sees it on the road, no one cares. I always find this whole thing, ohh I wanna be the only one with this car, strange.

As far as front plates, thats the owners choice, I can only imagine an Enzo with that integrated design point at the front with a front plate, doh.

As far as the last point, it seems quite biased due to the fact that pontiac is willing to offer a quality roadster japanese companies haven't been able to. Please name a comparable Japanese or "GERMAN" roadster that has this price point with the same equipment.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by heyitsme
The solstice does not seem to be anything like pontiacs that we know of as far as interior/exterior, so A is out the window.

As far as B, well I'd never complain for any automaker building a car many people find attractive and desire to buy. Its like people praising the CL when no one wants it or sees it on the road, no one cares. I always find this whole thing, ohh I wanna be the only one with this car, strange.

As far as front plates, thats the owners choice, I can only imagine an Enzo with that integrated design point at the front with a front plate, doh.

As far as the last point, it seems quite biased due to the fact that pontiac is willing to offer a quality roadster japanese companies haven't been able to. Please name a comparable Japanese or "GERMAN" roadster that has this price point with the same equipment.
A) please tell me what kinda magic googly eyes you own that are able to recognize interior quality and choice of materials used in the interior from pics.

B) with a car like this, people will be choosing it because they cannot afford the nicer cars, and still want to be exclusive. if you think the avg buyer is an enthuisaist like you, you are wrong.

C)Enzo owners don't put plates usuaully, they are rich enough to pay for the tickets. This car is in the 20's, and the front makes it a nice car. With a front plate in the front, it makes it an akward looking car in the front, the lines werent meant to work with a front plate.

D) a quality roadser? how do you know its quality? is it even out yet? we know nothing about the reliability and longterm standing and quality of this vehicle, not cause its not japanese or german, but because it comes from pontiac, which doesnt have experience or history of making any quality products. its called the point system, and pontiac hasnt earned anything yet, so for you to think im gonna have faith in this car, is pretty stupid in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
See you in September: Production snafus may delay launch of Pontiac Solstice roadster until fall
JASON STEIN | Automotive News and ROBERT SHEREFKIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 4/25/05

snaDETROIT -- If early orders are an indication, Pontiac could have a winner in its Solstice roadster. GM quickly booked 1,000 orders for the two-seat convertible this month during a TV promotion.

But now GM says it won't ship a significant number of Solstices to dealerships until this fall - well past its summer target date meant to coincide with the peak of the convertible selling season.

Industry sources say fit problems are delaying the launch at GM's Wilmington, Del., plant.

In material distributed to reporters in January at the Detroit auto show, Pontiac said the Solstice was "expected in Pontiac showrooms in mid-2005." But GMTV, GM's Webcast media site, said last week that the car won't be on dealer lots until the fourth quarter. GM spokesmen say the Solstice will arrive in substantial quantities in late September or early October.

Dealers are cautious

Several Pontiac dealers say they are not promising delivery to customers until the fall, even though some vehicles may trickle out before then.

One Pontiac dealership in Houston was able to order four of the first vehicles - but GM has told the dealership the vehicles may not arrive until October.

"Now we're saying, 'Hey, you can expect it in August or two months after that," says Joe Pierce, a new-car sales manager at Beck & Masten Pontiac-GMC. Pontiac gave no reason for the delay, Pierce says.

"They are being really vague about it," he says. "It's hard to give an estimate on time."

Why the change?

Multiple sources close to the situation at the Wilmington, Del., plant say the Solstice is suffering from fit problems on the front fascia and convertible top.

Pontiac says it is "underpromising and overdelivering" to make sure cars satisfy customers.

"Quality is the biggest issue," says Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson. "That's the critical element at this point, getting the last little bit taken care of."

Pontiac would not elaborate on quality issues. But it said nearly all startup programs have issues.

A spokesman for UAW Local 435 at Wilmington refused comment.

The Solstice, championed by GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz, is built on the new Kappa rear-wheel-drive architecture. The automaker used a rapid development cycle for the vehicle.

Lori Queen, vehicle line executive for small cars, has said GM "blew up the entire vehicle-development process" in developing the Solstice.

GM tested ride and handling by computer simulation.

GM also is using a new hydroform stamping technique, cutting tooling costs and time.

"We are trying to do this extremely fast for GM," Hopson says. "It really is an experimental program, and we want to make absolutely certain we get it right."

Some dealers have expressed frustration with the delay because of the hype generated by Pontiac's marketing campaign involving "The Apprentice" TV show in mid-April.

The show dealt with the creation of a marketing theme for the Solstice, and Pontiac announced it would take orders for the first 1,000 cars.

GM says all 1,000 orders were placed, backed by $500 deposits.
Related Stories
Old 04-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

See that's OK with me. If a manufacturer has a good product to offer and it slips its prod. date due to operations issues for a few months, the market can easily forgive in such a case. You do not necessarily turn customers away if you say, "wait another 3 months please so I do it right".

Quick Reply: Pontiac: Solstice News