eep!

Stock: 2.03 60ft, 13.39 @ 104.7
Tune: 2.00 60ft, 13.10 @ 107.5
100 shot: 1.96 60ft, 12.49 @ 114 mph
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Nope, to be honest I never did. I did, however, read several sources (not exactly reliable though) that they don't work. So who should I believe, the seemingly unanimous decision that it doesn't work, or the non-existent opinion, until now, thatit does?

Just wanted to show you where I'm coming from. That's what I get for trusting people on teh internetz

And how do you explain the Vararam? Ram air does work, but the most factory systems don't work to the extent that they are advertised to. Exagerrated, yes, but it does help some at higher speeds. This is hearing from first hand experiences at the track. Of course the Blackwing intake results in gains too, but the Vararam is even better.

I think RamAir on cars is just good for supplying cooler air to the engine, but it doesn't really build enough pressure to be compared to a true forced induction like a supercharger or turbo.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
101 years of heartache...

Pontiac El Camino?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:13 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
There is a thread about it, ya know.
My bad - overlooked that somehow.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Pontiac considering G8 GXP coupe

http://www.leftlanenews.com/pontiac-...gxp-coupe.html

Pontiac's G8 line-up may just grow to include a high-performance coupe which bears the GXP go-fast moniker shared with the GXP sedan. This would include much of the same hardware, including the 402-horsepower Corvette-sourced V8 and six-speed manual transmission, and give Pontiac the firepower to compete with the Ford Mustang GT500KR and Dodge Challenger SRT8. GM is reported to be having an internal conflict on whether or not to build a G8 coupe, which would be based on the recent Holden Coupe 60 concept car shown off at Australia's Melbourne auto show earlier this year.

If it gets the green light for production, the coupe would be available for sale within three years, according to Inside Line. Main reasons for not building a G8 coupe include the looming stiff CAFE standards, stringent emissions limits and ever increasing gas costs. A GM insider speaking to Inside Line indicated there is less than a 50 percent chance of the two-door G8 seeing the light of day. "The G8 Coupe is not dead," he said. "This is an uphill battle. It shouldn't be. But it is."

A GT version of the coupe mechanically similar to the G8 GT sedan would also be likely.
Pics at the link above.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
GM is probably going to receive an overwhelming response from Firebird owners to make the G8 coupe a Firebird successor soon....
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GM is probably going to receive an overwhelming response from Firebird owners to make the G8 coupe a Firebird successor soon....
Firebird owners want something as extreme looking as the 4th gen birds, to be as far from the camaro as possible looks wise. If GM shares the structure , then a nostalgic kick back is the only way a firebird will fly. So either a new radical body, or old kickback. The G8 coupe while hot as hell, will never pass for a bird unless GM completely throws the current design out.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

id have to wait for the american ford falcon to come out to see how it stacks up against the g8gt before i bought either one

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-falcon-future.html
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^^^The Falcon is most likely just going to be used as the basis/platform for the Crown Vic and Mustang.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125413
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I feel the need...

Took one for a test drive

The G8 along with the new CTS are probably the only domestic rides I've seriously considered in a loooong time. Getting bored with the TSX and am less than excited about the '09's. Was curious to try this badboy, so I stopped in on the way home today.

The sales guy was super cool and let me take it for a solo spin = license to shred. But it was around 5pm, rush hour was in full effect and both the surface roads and the freeway were chock full of traffic so I wasn't really able to fully drop the hammer, but here are a few observations during my brief 20 minute drive.

Exterior

Tastefully done except for the dual hood scoops. I know style is subjective, but the lines are clean and classic. Gets knocked down for not having available Xenon HID's, that's my main quibble.

Interior

Meh. It's not great, but its not complete crap like GM interiors of yore. You can still feel the cheapness of the plastic and when you pull the e-brake, the entire center plastic section wiggles. Its amazing after all this time other OEM's still haven't mastered that positive feel of switchgears and such. Steering wheel was hard and not very grippy. The drivers seat was very comfortable and there was a lot of room for rear seat passengers.

Powertrain

The 6.0 L76 is simply a monster. I know coming from a TSX, any engine will feel stupendous, but for anyone used to driving underpowered f/f - it takes a moment to get used to. You don't get that immediacy off the line like a C6 because your pushing 4000lbs, but once underway there's no other way to describe the ear to ear of 361HP. I was slightly less enthralled with the 6AT though. This car NEEDS 6MT. First of all, to switch into sport mode - you push the lever away from you (counter to the Acura) and there was a noticeable delay in manual shift mode.

Brakes

Good, not great. The pedal feel wasn't as firm as I like. (Granted, I upgraded my OEM's to Brembo's and Axxis Ultmates - so I may be spoiled somewhat). I caught myself a few times getting aggressive on the throttle and flying up on traffic, getting late on the brakes expecting the same bite, not getting as much and then aaah, yes remembering you are driving a 4000lb sedan.

Driving Feel

It's got pretty good grip considering, but there is a bit more dive and squat than expected. The suspension could use some tightening up IMO - it bobbed a bit on the rough Michigan roads. The exhaust note was a bit subdued, I wanted to hear more excitement. The car is really quiet at highway speed - had it briefly up to 90 on the expressway. There were no twisties on my loop, so I can't comment on how it handles quick transitions.

Final Impression

I was hoping to fall in love with this car on first drive - but came away feeling slightly underwhelmed. Obviously, its a great value - but it still doesn't have that complete "feel" Honda peeps take for granted. We'll have to see when they roll out the 6MT. I do really like the look of the Holden Coupe Concept, whatever they're gonna call it when they bring it stateside GTO or whatever - I'll have to reconsider.

In a nutshell, I'll bide my time with the TSX until I get smitten with something. At the end of the day, my personal preference is for a lighter, more nimble car - power alone isn't the key for me.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

thanks for the feedback
Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

That was a good review Fibonacci. Thanks. I look forward to hopping in one soon. There's an orange GT near my office that's begging to be test driven.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Race Director

Received 628 Likes on 506 Posts
Yep, a 3400lb 7/8 scale of the G8 would be great.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
saw a black one on the road today...man that car is sexy
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by biker
Yep, a 3400lb 7/8 scale of the G8 would be great.
It's coming... based off of GM's yet to be released Alpha...
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
The G8 along with the new CTS are probably the only domestic rides I've seriously considered in a loooong time. Getting bored with the TSX and am less than excited about the '09's. Was curious to try this badboy, so I stopped in on the way home today.

The sales guy was super cool and let me take it for a solo spin = license to shred. But it was around 5pm, rush hour was in full effect and both the surface roads and the freeway were chock full of traffic so I wasn't really able to fully drop the hammer, but here are a few observations during my brief 20 minute drive.

Exterior

Tastefully done except for the dual hood scoops. I know style is subjective, but the lines are clean and classic. Gets knocked down for not having available Xenon HID's, that's my main quibble.

Interior

Meh. It's not great, but its not complete crap like GM interiors of yore. You can still feel the cheapness of the plastic and when you pull the e-brake, the entire center plastic section wiggles. Its amazing after all this time other OEM's still haven't mastered that positive feel of switchgears and such. Steering wheel was hard and not very grippy. The drivers seat was very comfortable and there was a lot of room for rear seat passengers.

Powertrain

The 6.0 L76 is simply a monster. I know coming from a TSX, any engine will feel stupendous, but for anyone used to driving underpowered f/f - it takes a moment to get used to. You don't get that immediacy off the line like a C6 because your pushing 4000lbs, but once underway there's no other way to describe the ear to ear of 361HP. I was slightly less enthralled with the 6AT though. This car NEEDS 6MT. First of all, to switch into sport mode - you push the lever away from you (counter to the Acura) and there was a noticeable delay in manual shift mode.

Brakes

Good, not great. The pedal feel wasn't as firm as I like. (Granted, I upgraded my OEM's to Brembo's and Axxis Ultmates - so I may be spoiled somewhat). I caught myself a few times getting aggressive on the throttle and flying up on traffic, getting late on the brakes expecting the same bite, not getting as much and then aaah, yes remembering you are driving a 4000lb sedan.

Driving Feel

It's got pretty good grip considering, but there is a bit more dive and squat than expected. The suspension could use some tightening up IMO - it bobbed a bit on the rough Michigan roads. The exhaust note was a bit subdued, I wanted to hear more excitement. The car is really quiet at highway speed - had it briefly up to 90 on the expressway. There were no twisties on my loop, so I can't comment on how it handles quick transitions.

Final Impression

I was hoping to fall in love with this car on first drive - but came away feeling slightly underwhelmed. Obviously, its a great value - but it still doesn't have that complete "feel" Honda peeps take for granted. We'll have to see when they roll out the 6MT. I do really like the look of the Holden Coupe Concept, whatever they're gonna call it when they bring it stateside GTO or whatever - I'll have to reconsider.

In a nutshell, I'll bide my time with the TSX until I get smitten with something. At the end of the day, my personal preference is for a lighter, more nimble car - power alone isn't the key for me.

Dunno about Acura's switchgear either... I mean my 2002 TL-S had mostly the same switchgear as a Civic... so nothing THAT special.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ruski
Dunno about Acura's switchgear either... I mean my 2002 TL-S had mostly the same switchgear as a Civic... so nothing THAT special.
The difference being that the transmission in your (old?) 2002 TL-S was a piece of shit. Brilliant Honda engineering at its finest
Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

The difference being that the transmission in your (old?) 2002 TL-S was a piece of shit. Brilliant Honda engineering at its finest

Yes, my TL-S' tranny failed four times and completely turned me off any more Honda/Acura peoducts.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Is This a Preview of the 2009 Pontiac GXP?
By Jonny Smith, Contributor Email
Date posted: 04-08-2008

If (or maybe that should be when) a 530-horsepower Vauxhall VXR8 isn't enough for you, then you'll want to be talking to Wortec, the British experts in high-performance General Motors-built V8 engines. And that's where the 600-hp Vauxhall VXR8 Carbon Edition by Wortec comes in.

While Honda and Toyota have been focusing on hybrids, Vauxhall went to Australia and pilfered a version of the hot Holden Commodore SS, the same car that's become the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. Well, Wortec has built up a special version of the Vauxhall VXR8 in the same way that it once prepared its own version of the Holden Monaro VXR500.

If you're in the United Kingdom, the 2008 Vauxhall VXR8 Carbon Edition by Wortec is the hottest VXR8 you can buy, and maybe it gives us a clue about what might be done with the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP.

Another Blown Version? What's the Difference?
Put simply, the 2008 Vauxhall VXR8 Carbon Edition by Wortec offers more power and more refinement. Sure, Vauxhall already currently sells a supercharged version of the VXR8 (produced through Walkinshaw Racing), but Wortec feels the four-door muscle car hasn't been given the justice it deserves.

If Walkinshaw Racing is Vauxhall's own version of AMG, then Wortec is like Brabus, taking things up a notch with a slick feel to back up the sledgehammer performance.

While the Walkinshaw version uses a positive-displacement, Roots-type Eaton 112 supercharger with a 1.2-liter capacity, Wortec's Carbon Edition breathes via a 2.2-liter Eaton 122. Wortec claims this blower moves air more efficiently and creates less power-robbing heat. Says Wortec's Brian Richards, "We see our install as an upgradeable install for the car nut, whereas the Walkinshaw supercharger is a somewhat tamer, non-upgradeable solution."

Sadly, you won't be finding any carbon fiber in the Carbon Edition, because the designation actually comes from the metallic black color, which is Vauxhall's most popular paint finish with VXR8 buyers. Of course, there's some compensation in the menacing undertaker-spec 20-inch wheels with their black powder-coated finish, a crackling exhaust note and minimal badge identification.

The Sound of Supercharging
It seems like a gimmick, but the exhaust system features an electronic device that allows two volume settings, just like some 1940s hot rod with exhaust cutouts. A discreet Bond-style black button next to the handbrake activates a valve inside the exhaust, which in turn selects from two volume settings, although there's not any noticeable increase in sound in the cockpit.

The stainless-steel exhaust system features a mix of 3.0-inch and 2.5-inch tubing, and a special "merge section" joins the two sides of the exhaust together for a short distance. This design boosts low-end torque by increasing the flow and improving scavenging effect. The volume is changed within the twin mufflers, where there are two paths through the box. One path is quiet and the other permits more than 100 dBA.

Wortec has been developing this system for some time and it shows that you can have an outrageous grunt coming from the tailpipe without transmitting a tiresome drone inside the car.

The Proof of Performance
So what are the vital stats? Well, the stock, normally aspirated Holden Commodore SS puffs 411 hp and 405 pound-feet of torque, then hits 60 mph in 4.9 seconds with a computer-strangled top end of 155 mph.

The Walkinshaw-built supercharged version gets you 533 hp and a whopping 568 lb-ft of torque. Walkinshaw fits the Eaton 122 supercharger, new fuel injectors, spark plugs and a bigger intercooler to shovel more chilled air into the hungry 6.0-liter GM V8. And then it brainwashes the ECU to stop it from going loopy every time you stab the loud pedal.

Enter the big, black Wortec-built Carbon Edition with as much as 620 hp (though only 600 hp is claimed) and 600 lb-ft of torque. It'll do 190 mph once you help the ECU get its mind right. And it costs less than the Walkinshaw version.

Rolling Thunder
The hair on the back of your neck stands right up once you twist the ignition key. This thing is pure rolling thunder and it has, without doubt, one of the sexiest exhaust notes of any car today. With its long-legged top gear in the six-speed manual transmission, the VXR8's V8 is barely ticking over highway speed, with 1,800 rpm in play at 70 mph. The supercharger doesn't compromise fuel-efficiency too badly, as the intake air bypasses the blower rotors at low rpm.

If you dial in the throttle pedal in inches rather than millimeters, you've got to be prepared for warp drive. The torque is relentless from 1,800 rpm right up to 5,500 rpm. The Wortec VXR8 out-drags most supercars and punishes its speedometer at high speed. Wortec quotes acceleration to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and then 120 mph arrives in 12.8 seconds. This car is properly rapid.

In factory form, the VXR8 has issues with its ridiculously tall ride height. Wortec lowers the car by 35mm with shorter, progressive-rate springs. The result not only improves aesthetics but also makes the fat sedan feel deceivingly nimble, even on narrow English country lanes. Things look set to be even better when Wortec finishes testing its own forthcoming suspension setup with adjustable dampers.

The change to Goodyear rubber from Bridgestones has made a massive difference in this car. These tires deliver sure-footed cornering (even in the rain) yet still have lots of tread after several obligatory rolling burnouts. Wortec says the Bridgestones work fine in the Australian desert, but not so well in cold, damp English Midlands. The way we see it, it's better to have good grip right now rather than wait for the stability control to play catch-up.

Four-Door Muscle
Wortec has done nothing but flatter this four-door muscle car. The modifications all blend together and never feel added on. The 2008 Vauxhall VXR8 Carbon Edition by Wortec delivers a kind of bang per buck ratio that even those who live in the land of $9 per gallon gasoline can understand.

Try as some might to strangle our thirst for muscle cars, our love affair with power-crazed V8 engines isn't yet ready to die. Thank goodness.

The manufacturer provided Edmunds this vehicle for the purposes of evaluation.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Nothing has led me to believe that GM, Ford, or Chrysler have a coupe coming out that is going to be an equal to the Audi A5/BMW E92. Those are my two choices for my next car. Maybe a G37 or Genesis but I'll have to drive one before adding them to my list.

Cadillac is the closest with the CTS coupe but I hate the design.

All these other coupes like the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger are going to be $30k+ for the top of the line and I'm completely uninterested.

I want good materials, refinement, quality, and hopefully an enjoyable driving experience.

Will the Big Three ever learn?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by charliemike
Nothing has led me to believe that GM, Ford, or Chrysler have a coupe coming out that is going to be an equal to the Audi A5/BMW E92. Those are my two choices for my next car. Maybe a G37 or Genesis but I'll have to drive one before adding them to my list.

All these other coupes like the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger are going to be $30k+ for the top of the line and I'm completely uninterested.

I want good materials, refinement, quality, and hopefully an enjoyable driving experience.

I like the A5 but eveyone I talk to that drive, Audis, bummers and Mercedes says you need a back up car and get use to shop time....do not like the tang,C,Cs either...Cad is right size but with you on looks...G-37 to small for me same with Gen..If I was going that small I would go Vette.....oh well..I guess I can call the g8 a 4r coupe? 60 is just not going to make it here...

Have you driven a G8? It is composed and fast and stops...quality much better as that is a tested engine, trans etc....body gaps better than my Acura TSX....GXP F-3 suspension will be even better and should be able to be moved to the GT...
Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

snob?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

snob?
Nice try. I drive a Mazdaspeed 3.

Don't be an asshole.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I feel the need...

Don't be an asshole.
Sensitive much? Why do you think the Big 3 will never learn - look at Toyota, they don't design many exciting products, they've overbuilt capacity, quality is slipping...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Sensitive much? Why do you think the Big 3 will never learn - look at Toyota, they don't design many exciting products, they've overbuilt capacity, quality is slipping...
I don't see how I'm being overly sensitive at being called a snob.

I've owned a Buick, Ford, Chevy, and Pontiac before I got my Mazda3 in 2005. He was being an idiot and rude and I don't appreciate being called names because someone's ignorant.

There are a lot of people out there that don't want big engines in shitty cars. The Mustang is a complete disappointment. Obviously, the Camaro isn't out yet but I'm not liking what I see. The Challenger doesn't interest me at all.

So when I see a picture of the G8 Coupe (Holden) I just see more of the same. And at $35k+ you're talking about cars that go up against MUCH better offerings from the Germans and Japanese (not all but some of them) and now quite possibly the Koreans.

Gas is $3.55 a gallon here for premium (or more in places). I don't want a 4000-lb Hemi Challenger.

I want an attractive car that handles well, is nice to ride in, and isn't a one-trick pony that will wear on me after a couple of months.

I don't think this makes me a snob. What is does is make me very concerned about the future of the Big 3.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Racer

^ have you driven a V8 tang or the G8 you run down? Tell us how the G8 gt test drive went....I guess the vette is a pos too? Automobile gives GT a good review compared to a $60m 5 series...
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Texas
^ have you driven a V8 tang or the G8 you run down? Tell us how the G8 gt test drive went....I guess the vette is a pos too? Automobile gives GT a good review compared to a $60m 5 series...
What? Was that English?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a Buick, Ford, Chevy, and Pontiac before I got my Mazda3 in 2005. He was being an idiot and rude and I don't appreciate being called names because someone's ignorant.

There are a lot of people out there that don't want big engines in shitty cars. The Mustang is a complete disappointment. Obviously, the Camaro isn't out yet but I'm not liking what I see. The Challenger doesn't interest me at all.

So when I see a picture of the G8 Coupe (Holden) I just see more of the same. And at $35k+ you're talking about cars that go up against MUCH better offerings from the Germans and Japanese (not all but some of them) and now quite possibly the Koreans.

Gas is $3.55 a gallon here for premium (or more in places). I don't want a 4000-lb Hemi Challenger.

I want an attractive car that handles well, is nice to ride in, and isn't a one-trick pony that will wear on me after a couple of months.

I don't think this makes me a snob. What is does is make me very concerned about the future of the Big 3.
You my friend are not a snob, your just not a fan of American Muscle. I can respect that. But the G8 is a stout platform and the Camaro should hit the nail on the head in a straight line and in the twisties. Sometimes are car thats too refined feels numb and disconnected. Thats why i love american muscle cars, they let you know that there is power and your right foot controls it.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by bigman
You my friend are not a snob, your just not a fan of American Muscle. I can respect that. But the G8 is a stout platform and the Camaro should hit the nail on the head in a straight line and in the twisties. Sometimes are car thats too refined feels numb and disconnected. Thats why i love american muscle cars, they let you know that there is power and your right foot controls it.
Thank you man. I appreciate the backup

I want to buy American. Desperately. I don't like giving money to foreign companies if I don't have to ... But there are so many more reasons not to buy American right now in my mind.

I love what Saturn is doing ... They still just don't have that car I'm looking for ...
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't be an asshole.

Sorry, didn't know. Just based my opinion on your statement:

coupe coming out that is going to be an equal to the Audi A5/BMW E92
Old 04-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't like Mustangs either, my friend. But I haven't grown tired a bit of my GTO after having it for 2+ years. I imagine G8 is even better.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
I don't like Mustangs either, my friend. But I haven't grown tired a bit of my GTO after having it for 2+ years. I imagine G8 is even better.
I'm sure after owning a GTO, there won't be many out there that you'll be interested in.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I'm sure after owning a GTO, there won't be many out there that you'll be interested in.

True. I quit reading car magazines soon after I got my hands on the Goat.

I still come check car news on this forum though
Old 04-11-2008, 01:38 AM

I've owned a Buick, Ford, Chevy, and Pontiac before I got my Mazda[speed]3 in 2005. He was being an idiot and rude and I don't appreciate being called names because someone's ignorant.

fixed....

and which cars did you own anyway? I know you've owned a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (FWD automatic) but what exactly are those Buick(s), Ford(s), and Chevy(s) that you had? Just curious.... if you owned a Park Avenue, a 4-cyl Mustang and a Cavalier I wouldn't be surprised that you don't want domestic.

That's another thing... the price you pay out the door for an Audi or BMW doesn't include the down-time or price for maintenance. Even better, buy used and take advantage of the depreciation. I wouldn't buy new anyways, no matter what car you have the depreciation on a brand new car has no comparison except, unless its to another new car. I had no (general) worries about buying my car even if it was 6-11 years old... can you say the same about an Audi?

Another thing I consider is aftermarket too, especially price. An AWE turbo kit for an A4 is almost twice that for an STS turbo kit for a Camaro. Just though I'd throw that in there.... don't know if your MS3 is stock or not but just wanted to put it across that there's a lot more to it than your out-the-door price.

In any car what I touch often and can actually feel the difference in is the door handles, window switches, steering wheel, pedals, shifter, parking brake, cruise and light controls/switches, and the HVAC and radio controls. And over half of those don't even bother me from one car to the next. Unless the vent surround and dashboard look like they're about to fall off from the factory I could care less. Whoop de doo, the heater control knob in my friend's 3-series feels smoother and more solid than the one in my car.

I don't rub and poke my dashboard and trim pieces every time I get in my car, but I guess some people do. Gas is at $3.99 where I'm at and I don't mind because I'd rather not be driving some '91 hatchback. Surely you don't think the S5 is going to deliver amazing MPG are you?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=125611#2

MELBOURNE, Australia — Holden Special Vehicles, the performance arm of General Motors unit Holden, has thrown down the hot-sedan gauntlet with the announcement that it will build a new supercar based on the Holden Commodore and powered by the Corvette Z06 7.0-liter LS7 V8.

The new car, to be produced in limited numbers as part of HSV's 20th-anniversary celebrations, is currently known only as the W427 concept. It is expected to hit showrooms in Australia in the third quarter of 2008.

Few details have been released by HSV, but a company spokesman has revealed that the car is in the early stages of development and will feature a number of components developed from the company's V8 Supercar racing program.

Expected to develop 496 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 472 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm, the new model should be able to sprint from zero to 60 mph in just 4.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 155 mph. That would likely make it the fastest road car ever produced in Australia and among the quickest in the world.

According to reports, the production version of the W427 is also headed to the U.K., where it will be sold as a flagship version of Vauxhall's VXR8. There are no reports that the car will be available in left-hand-drive form for the U.S. market.

Performance features of the concept include a carbon-fiber rear spoiler, six-piston brakes, 20-inch wheels, a custom induction system and an uprated limited-slip differential, clutch and Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual gearbox. The car also features Magnetic Ride Suspension.

What this means to you: Here's a reason to look for news bulletins from Australia for the next few months. — Mike Jarvis, Correspondent
Old 04-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

where do i send my deposit?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Saw my first G8 this morning on my commute to work. It didn't have plates on it yet.

All I have to say is.

It really is one great looking car, I can only imagine how much nicer the GT will look.

The domestic auto manufacturers need to follow this closely because I think this is gonna be a winner.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashburner
where do i send my deposit?

That is insane HP... I love good 'ole V8, blue tire smoke!!! Wow... and I saw a G8 going "Big" on the freeway the other day here in Houston.. my CLS felt really lame...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 AM

I passed by my friend's house, he's a manager at an Enterprise-ish company so he gets to take home a different car everyday for free. The other day it happened to be a white V6 G8. It looks great! Too bad he was asleep, otherwise a test drive would have been in order.

I'll just wait til he gets the GXP if at all. Don't think his company carries manual tranny rentals, but one can hope.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

I saw a white GT this morning (driving really slow, for some reason).

Looked very nice in person -- a good road presence -- and even the hood vents looked ok...

Quick Reply: Pontiac: G8 news **Revival Speculation (page 17)**