Mazda: CX-60 News

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 01:54 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts

Spied in Japan, the 2022 Mazda CX-60 doesn’t live up to the styling of the CX-50 for the U.S. market. Captured on video in two specifications, the CX-60 appears to be narrower than the CX-50 due to the squinty face.
24 photos

At first, I was inclined to believe that we’re dealing with the Small Architecture of the CX-50, CX-30, and Mazda3. On second thought, the long hood and cab-rearward styling can only mean one thing: Mazda prepares to roll out the Large Architecture it had confirmed a little over two years ago.

“The what?” Page 25 of the Fiscal Year March 2019 Financial Results presentation reveals that large models will receive straight-six engines from the Skyactiv-X and Skyactiv-D families, a longitudinal engine layout, i-Activ all-wheel drive, as well as 48-volt mild hybrids and plug-in hybrids.

Following that announcement, Mazda patented an eight-speed automatic transmission for longitudinal applications with the Japan Patent Office in 2020. Believed to bear the Skyactiv-Drive AT8 moniker, this gearbox will join the Skyactiv-Drive AT six-speed auto used in FWD/AWD vehicles.

The last piece of the puzzle came in October 2021 in the guise of a press release that confirmed the CX-60 and CX-80 for Europe with two- and three-row seating. These models “will spearhead the European introduction of plug-in hybrid models with straight-four gasoline engines.” Further down the road, “the straight-six Skyactiv-X and Skyactiv-D will be introduced in combination with a 48V mild-hybrid system” according to the automaker.

Over in the United States where the CX-50 joins the CX-5 with more rugged styling and standard all-wheel drive, Mazda intends to launch the CX-70 and CX-90. Described as wide-bodied vehicles, these two will be sold in the United States and non-European markets that may include the UAE.

Although I’m not exactly fond of the front grille and headlights of the CX-60 captured on video by the CSK Review Channel during a commercial shoot, it surely is a step in the right direction for the Japanese outfit.
2022 Mazda CX-60 Spy Video Reveals Coupe Profile, Squinty Front End - autoevolution
Old 11-16-2021, 01:56 PM

Received 5,488 Likes on 3,746 Posts

https://www.motor1.com/news/548316/m...-60-spy-video/

We knew Mazda was working on expanding its product lineup – the new CX-50 debuted earlier this week – though we didn’t also expect to see the CX-60. Mazda probably didn’t either, but it appears the automaker couldn’t keep the new model hidden during a recent photo shoot when a passerby caught two new Mazda models on video. The white one has a visible front license plate that denotes it is the CX-60, though the red Mazda is obscured from view.

The CX-60 looks similar to the new CX-50, though there are distinct differences in their styling. We know the CX-60 will be narrower than the CX-50, and that’s evident at the front, where the CX-60 has a taller grille. The headlights look narrower, too. However, the front fascia does have a pair of black intakes flanking a thin lower grille opening. The CX-60 appears to have more of an evolutionary design than the athletic-looking CX-50.

YouTube’s auto-translate feature isn’t great on this particular video, so it’s a bit unclear what the red Mazda is, though it looks to have the same front-end as the white CX-60. The two could be a perfect pair, or the red one is some variant. The red Mazda is seen with black-capped side-view mirrors and black trim around the grille and the greenhouse, which could indicate a sportier, performance-oriented – turbocharged – configuration. The white CX-60 has chrome trim.

Mazda’s new models will arrive with a new generation of Skyactiv straight-six gas and Diesel engines, so it’s not exactly clear what will power the new CX-60. The model will be one of several new crossovers and SUVs the automaker will introduce in the coming months. However, they won’t be sold everywhere together. The CX-50 is a US-only model, while the two-row CX-60 and the three-row CX-80 satisfy Europe, Japan, and other markets. With Mazda already shooting photos, we expect the CX-60 reveal to be right around the corner.
​​​​​​​
Old 11-16-2021, 01:56 PM

Old 02-08-2022, 06:13 AM
Race Director

Europe, are you ready for even more SUVs? Mazda believes you are because it has released a teaser photo and video combo for the CX-60. It represents the first vehicle from the "Large Product Group" announced in October last year. It's also coming to Japan and other markets, but not to the United States and additional countries where the Zoom-Zoom company will sell an equivalent CX-70 with a wider body.

The CX-60 was spotted undisguised during a photo shoot last November and this teaser image confirms that the vehicle was the real deal. It has an identical headlight setup with the LED daytime running lights featuring a horizontal line that extends to meet the front grille. The (hopefully) functional air curtains have the same upright orientation and a glossy black trim also applied onto the grille's surround.

On the Old Continent, Mazda plans to sell the 2023 CX-60 with a plug-in hybrid powertrain combining a four-cylinder 2.5-liter gasoline engine with an electric motor. The SUV promises to deliver a total output of over 300 horsepower while meeting Europe's stringent emissions regulations. It'll go down in history as the company's first plug-in hybrid model in Europe and will be followed by a three-row CX-80.

Both larger SUVs are scheduled to go on sale in Europe within the next two years. Over in the US, the CX-70 will be joined by a three-row CX-90, also featuring a wider body compared to the CX-80. These products have been engineered to accommodate not just PHEV powertrains, but also a new family of straight-six gasoline and diesel engines featuring a mild-hybrid setup.

There's no word about the beefier combustion engines coming to Europe, but Mazda has at least confirmed the new SUVs it will sell in the US will have them. Although not specified by the automaker, all four models are expected to ride on a newly developed rear-wheel-drive platform.

It won't be Mazda's only SUV with a combustion engine and a charging port since the small MX-30 electric crossover is sold in some markets as a PHEV.
2023 Mazda CX-60 PHEV Teased With Over 300 HP, Debuts March 8 (motor1.com)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:51 AM
Race Director

Mazda has been doing a great job at keeping the CX-60 a secret since this is only the second time the all-new SUV is being spotted. Caught undergoing final testing in Germany, the automaker's first-ever PHEV had the production body hiding underneath relatively thin camouflage. It would seem the Zoom-Zoom company won't be rocking the boat in terms of the design, which isn't to say that's a bad thing.

Mazda makes some of the prettiest SUVs in the game, and it looks like the CX-60 will also be a handsome family hauler. However, it could've been more attractive without the ghastly faux exhaust finishers at the back. Adding insult to injury, the ones on the driver's side are a decoy in the sense there's no exhaust tip in the area. The real thing is on the right side but tucked away underneath those finishers. We've seen a similar exhaust setup before (we're looking at you, Audi S6 diesel).
Despite the familiar look, the CX-60 is completely different underneath the skin. It rides on a newly developed rear-wheel-drive platform engineered with longitudinal engines. Logic tells us we're looking at the PHEV since the electrified version has been confirmed with over 300 horsepower. It would make sense to give the most potent model a quad exhaust setup – even if it's deceiving.

Ok, but where is the charging port? We only get to see the right side of the vehicle and there's no fuel cap. The one for gasoline is presumably on the left side as it's the case with ICE-only Mazdas. Some plug-in hybrids, such as the ones from Mercedes, have the charging port in the rear bumper, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

That means it's either on the front-left fender or in the grille. We are ruling out the first scenario since the camo-free prototype spotted in November 2021 didn't have it there. That would leave the grille as the place where Mazda has hidden the charging port, much like Genesis with the Electrified GV70. However, we are not excluding the possibility of this CX-60 being powered solely by a gasoline engine.

A member of the "Large Product Group" announced in October 2021, the CX-60 will have a wider counterpart in the United States as the CX-70. Mazda is also working on a bigger, three-row CX-80 for Europe, which it too will fatten up for North America where it'll be sold as the CX-90. Aside from an SUV onslaught, some other models are expected to transition to RWD, including the next Mazda6.
In some parts of the world where diesels are still relevant, the new wave of SUVs will be offered as a plug-in hybrid based around a SkyActiv-D inline-six. Mild-hybrid four-cylinder powertrains will be joined by a four-pot PHEV. In fact, the CX-60 will use a 2.5-liter gasoline engine with four cylinders and an electric motor to produce over 300 hp.

Part of Mazda's plan to electrify its lineup is also a range-extending rotary engine for the MX-30. The small electric crossover is already offered in select countries as a mild-hybrid model with a 2.0-liter gasoline engine.

Meanwhile, the CX-60 is set to debut on March 8 and go on sale later this year in Europe.
2023 Mazda CX-60 Spied With Quad But Fake Exhaust (motor1.com)
Old 02-21-2022, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts
Whatever happened to this rumored Turbo 6?
Old 02-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by tsxV6
Maybe later in the higher end models, like CX80 and 90 or perhaps the new 6?
Old 02-21-2022, 11:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,106 Likes on 4,007 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxV6
It probably turned into a battery.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:29 AM
Race Director

Mazda is gradually revealing details about the CX-60 crossover it will unveil on March 8. Built on a long-awaited rear-wheel-drive platform, the soft-roader will help the Japanese firm move upmarket, and a preview of its interior shows us what's in store for passengers.

Japanese design trends had a significant influence on the cabin. Mazda explained that its designers were inspired by Ma, a name that denotes "the calm and dignified beauty of empty space," Kaichô, "the harmony which comes from mixing different materials and textures," and Musubu, "the uniquely Japanese way of blending textiles." In the CX-60, the materials used include maple wood, leather, Japanese textiles, and bright accents. It sounds like Mazda is leveraging its heritage in a bid to stand out from competitors in the premium space.

This fresh approach to design likely characterizes how Mazda plans to offer more upscale cars. Japanese stitching notably joins two pieces of fabric on the passenger's side of the dashboard, while the door panels feature wood trim, cloth upholstery, and chrome accents.

Outside, we're expecting that the CX-60 will adopt Mazda's elegant Kodo design language with a twist: it's built on a rear-wheel-drive platform, and spy shots published in November 2021 reveal that the proportions have been set accordingly. The hood is relatively long and the dash-to-axle ratio is longer than what you normally see in this segment of the market. Up front, the familiar shield-shaped grille remains and it's linked to the headlights by thin strips of LEDs. The CX-60 is recognizable as a Mazda, yet it looks different than the CX-5.

Power will come from a gasoline-electric plug-in hybrid powertrain built around a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and tuned to develop at least 300 horsepower. Buyers in some markets might be able to select Mazda's upcoming straight-six engine as well. And, in spite of all the talk about rear-wheel-drive, it's too early to tell if the configuration will be offered; all-wheel-drive may be the only setup available for some. It's a configuration that gives cars a more upscale-looking design, but it's also one that many crossover drivers are not particularly interested in.

Mazda will introduce the CX-60 on March 8, and it will again expand its range of people-movers when it releases a bigger model with three rows of seats named CX-80. Unofficial reports claim that the CX-60 and the CX-80 will not be sold in the United States. Instead, we'll reportedly get a pair of bigger (and similarly upscale SUVs) named CX-70 and CX-90, respectively, that will be built on the same platform.
Japan-inspired Mazda CX-60 interior shows the firm's upscale ambitions (autoblog.com)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:29 AM
Race Director

Old 03-08-2022, 11:02 AM
Race Director

I've recently gone to Frankfurt to see the new CX-60 in great secret. It felt like a very short 007 mission given to me just to distract myself from the current European difficulties. I've signed a lot of papers, and it almost felt like I took an oath to keep this a secret. Time has come to talk freely about the CX-60, so here's my honest opinion.

I like Mazda. In all honesty, it is one of the few carmakers around that has a tight grip on reality. The company said numerous times that a forced push towards total electrification won’t help everybody and, of course, not even the environment.

They were right. EV makers are now facing raw materials challenges, pressure to be as green as a forest, and as days go by, more and more climate activists are beginning to understand that the internal combustion engine (ICE) cars can’t die all at once. Even Elon Musk, the EV deity, confirmed it and gave a wake-up call for free on Twitter. The world is not ready to run on electricity alone. We don’t have the means to produce it and, more importantly, to distribute it in a safe and efficient manner. We’re not there yet.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s cool to have EVs. I see no problem in owning one. My beef is with the authorities that try to shove a green agenda on people with no proper analysis. We have to wait, and we must keep refining oil for our cars and economies. It’s not comfortable to admit it, and it’s not cool at all, but it is the harsh truth. You see it now.

I, for one, liked the BMW i3 and iX3, the MX-30, and Renault’s Zoe. I’ll even admit that I strongly considered buying a Taycan GTS Cross Turismo. They’re cool cars. They’re fast, they’re easy to maintain in good condition, they don’t require much attention, and are packed with useful technologies that make life easier. Even the cheapest EV, the Dacia Spring, makes buying sense if you live in a city or close to it. But that doesn't change the reality: total EV adoption won't happen in a matter of years, but over the span of decades. It won't even look like what we have today. Remember hydrogen?

And the magic brought to us by instant torque won’t change the fact that some people want to hear something under the hood or at least feel some kind of vibration coming from an engine that burns fossilized organisms. We’re all different, not just as people but as countries and economies too. Companies must cater to all our needs if they want the profits. Not everybody can be Tesla or Rivian, and they sure wouldn’t have to try to become one of these two.

The Japanese way
That’s how Mazda thinks, too, and that’s why I’m happy to see a major car brand taking a stance by actively doing something that makes the most sense. It’s not something incredibly brave, but a move that preserves some level of normality.

The new CX-60 is a proper statement. This SUV looks good, has the right dimensions, uses a calm design language, serves a purpose, is packed with useful technologies, and, ultimately, doesn’t exaggerate.

While the hosts were explaining to us in Frankfurt what we should know and remember about the car, hearing the word “diesel” slapped me in the face like a mother from the ‘90s, when parenting styles were totally different. I was not expecting that at all. But that’s not the whole story, no. It’s a 3.3-liter six-cylinder diesel engine with some electrification added to keep the emissions low in urban environments. I almost gasped. While other carmakers are rushing to ditch this kind of powertrains and move entirely to gas PHEVs or EVs, Mazda keeps the diesel alive. It’s an impressive stance against what today’s kids think is cool.

I don’t know how the car drives or sounds yet. I don’t even know what the feeling of sitting for at least an hour behind the wheel is. But I trust Mazda isn’t doing this because it doesn’t care about rules or the environment. They’ll too be forced to give up diesel at some point if the Euro 7 will be as harsh as it is rumored, but maybe Mazda will find a timely way to keep the ICE running on something different.It's not just the diesel engine
Having the diesel in the line-up isn't the whole story. Seeing and touching the CX-60, I've learned that cars today present themselves with too many angles and not enough attention to the human part that completes the machine. Designers, for some reason, think weird shapes and proportions are key to attracting new customers. I do not disagree with them. Options need to be put out there.

What I don't like is that carmakers are copying each other. Mazda could've too used a humongous grille or a tablet-like infotainment display, or screens everywhere, or interior lighting that turns a vehicle into a disco from the countryside. It didn't, and I'm happy about it. Once you close the door in the CX-60, you get a familiar feeling of being in your own space, surrounded by a cabin that makes sense with its appearance. It's a comfort zone.

The Japanese automaker is simply applying a brilliant strategy: give the people what they want and take their cash. It’s that easy. Mazda won’t have to create stories or pay influencers to make its product look cool. It will be liked. You’ll see it for yourself when your neighbor starts talking about it or when managers start to drive them. Who knows, maybe even families will prefer a reasonably priced CX-60 over something that’s basically the same but just costs more.

The CX-60 also comes as a PHEV or with a 3-liter 6-cylinder MHEV gasoline engine. Both variants will serve their purpose well, and I can safely anticipate Europeans will get in line for the PHEV. But if things keep on going like they are now, there’s going to be a shift. People will realize that electricity alone isn’t the best policy, and they will once again look at diesels with good eyes. Plus, let’s remember that the European Commission is being lobbied to change how it views PHEVs because people simply don’t use them properly all the time and end up consuming more fossil fuels.

Before you go, allow me one more thought: the new CX-60 is all new and cool, but it’s not special in any real way. It’s just an SUV that has the potential of becoming a great car – and that’s enough. I’ve not driven it yet, and I don’t know how it behaves on the road but believe me when I say it has attracted enough attention from competitors already.

This SUV doesn’t represent a step forward or a step backward. The 2023 Mazda CX-60 emphasizes normal, human-centered progress. It shows a lot of promise, and I can’t wait to drive it in both diesel and PHEV forms!
Mazda's All-New CX-60 Is a Step Forward to Nowhere, I Love It - autoevolution
Old 03-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Race Director

The first vehicle to ride on Mazda’s new platform is here. While this CX-60 plug-in-hybrid SUV won’t be coming to the U.S., it likely provides a close preview of the upcoming CX-70 that will make its way to our shores.

As its name would suggest, the CX-60 is larger and more luxurious than the recently revealedCX-50. The CX-60 also uses the company’s new architecture with a longitudinal engine layout that’s meant to push Mazda upscale. It comes standard with a plug-in-hybrid powertrain that uses a 2.5-liter gasoline engine and a 134-horsepower electric motor. The system's total output is 323 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, and Mazda claims it will have an electric range of 39 miles thanks to its 17.8-kWh battery pack. An eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive are standard.

The CX-60’s styling is a bit awkward from certain angles but overall looks like a larger CX-5 with more chrome. We anticipate the CX-70 to look similar, but it will be a bit wider and—we hope—have a more athletic stance. But even on the CX-60, the rear-wheel-drive-esque proportions are clear, as it has a long hood and a dash-to-axle ratio that ensure it won’t be mistaken for a more mainstream crossover with a a transversely mounted engine and a front-wheel-drive-based platform.

Mazda's interiors were already nice, but the CX-60's cabin looks to be a level above current offerings thanks to elegant materials for the dashboard and seats including woven textiles, Nappa leather, and wood trim. The CX-60 is a two-row model and the CX-70 likely will be too; a CX-90 will follow later on and we expect that model to have three rows of seats and eventually replace the existing CX-9.

While the CX-60 is launching in Europe only with this plug-in-hybrid configuration initially, this platform will eventually support an inline-six engine with a 48-volt hybrid system. Mazda has released some information on its upcoming powertrains but we'll have to wait for the CX-70's debut to learn more about this engine's U.S. specs. We expect the CX-70 to offer this plug-in-hybrid setup in the U.S. as well.
Mazda CX-60 Revealed as a 323-HP Plug-in-Hybrid SUV (caranddriver.com)
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:40 PM
Race Director

Arguably the most important car launched by Mazda in recent memory, the CX-60 introduces the Skyactiv Multi-Solution Scalable Architecture. The rear- or all-wheel-drive platform is available solely with mild- or plug-in hybrid engines ranging from inline-fours to straight-sixes.
29 photos

Presented to the automotive media in great secret in Frankfurt ahead of today’s reveal, the CX-60 is sensibly priced. Over in Germany, where the plug-in four is the standard powertrain, customers are charged €47,390 or $51,815 at current exchange rates. Brits, on the other hand, will have to pony up £43,950 or $57,695 for the most fuel-efficient variant currently available.

German customers are offered four trim levels in total: Prime-Line, Exclusive-Line, Homura, and Takumi. €52,890 is the suggested retail price of the latter. Over in the United Kingdom, the Japanese automaker decided on three grades: Exclusive-Line, Homura, and Takumi. Officially dubbed e-Skyactiv PHEV, this version of the CX-60 boasts 63 kilometers (39 miles) of combined all-electric range on the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure. Fuel economy is estimated at 1.5 liters per 100 kilometers (188 miles per gallon in the United Kingdom or 157 miles per gallon in the United States).

Mazda further quotes an electric-only top speed of 140 kilometers per hour (87 miles per hour) while the PHEV top speed is 200 kilometers per hour (124 miles per hour). Step on the accelerator as hard as possible, and the CX-60 e-Skyactiv PHEV may hit 100 kph (62 mph) in 5.8 seconds.

As the name implies, the four-cylinder powertrain combines a direct-injected mill with a displacement of 2.5 liters with a 100-kW electric motor and a 17.8-kWh battery. The free-breathing engine and electric motor collectively make 327 ps (323 horsepower) and 500 Nm (369 pound-feet).

Later this year, Mazda will diversify the lineup with the e-Skyactiv X straight-six turbo engine (3.0-liter mild-hybrid) and the SkyActiv D straight-six turbo diesel (3.3-liter mild-hybrid). Both are mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission shared with the e-SkyActiv PHEV presented in this story
2023 Mazda CX-60 Starting Price Revealed: €47,390 in Germany, £43,950 in the UK - autoevolution
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:27 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
I think it looks great. I would highly consider this as my next vehicle, but I'm not sure it would be big enough; the wife wants something the size of the CX9. Also not sure the upcoming CX-70 would be any bigger than this.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:41 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by imj0257
I think it looks great. I would highly consider this as my next vehicle, but I'm not sure it would be big enough; the wife wants something the size of the CX9. Also not sure the upcoming CX-70 would be any bigger than this.
You'll need to wait for the CX-90.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:00 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/580964/m...duction-start/

With the launch of the first-ever CX-60, Mazda entered a new era in its history. The SUV, built from the ground up, became the first modern-era mainstream rear-wheel-drive model of the brand, and it is now on the assembly lines. Earlier this week, on April 18, production of the CX-60 kicked off at Mazda’s Hofu Plant No. 2 in the Yamaguchi Prefecture. The first shipment of examples for the European market is planned to leave Japan on April 26.

A special ceremony was held to mark the start of production and it was attended by approximately 100 people involved in the production process. Mazda’s president and CEO, Akira Marumoto, was also at the plant, joining employees of the factory, local suppliers and officials, and others that joined online.

The automaker describes the CX-60 as “the most important model it has introduced for over a decade” and its new flagship model. One might argue that the MX-5 and BT-50 are also RWD vehicles, but these are niche products that are not selling in big numbers. The Japanese brand also says the CX-60 represents “everything that the company has built into its DNS over the last 100 years.”

In many ways, the CX-60 is indeed a new chapter for Mazda. It is the company’s first-ever production plug-in hybrid combining a 2.5-liter inline-four engine with a 134 horsepower (100 kilowatts) and 184 pound-feet (250 Newton-meters) electric motor. The total system output of the hybrid powertrain is rated at 323 hp (241 kW) and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm). Mazda promises a WLTP-certified fuel consumption of just 1.5 liters per 100 kilometers, but that’s obviously true only when the 17.8-kWh battery is full.

The CX-60 will be followed by the slightly larger CX-70, which will be sold in the United States with two rows of seats. An even longer version based on the same architecture will come next with room for up to seven passengers. This one will hit the US market about two years from now wearing the CX-90 moniker.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:30 PM

https://www.motor1.com/features/5830...ev-test-drive/

On April 28, 2012 - exactly 10 years ago today - the official market launch of the Mazda CX-5 took place in Germany. The series is now in its second generation and, with over 500,000 units sold in Europe, has become an important pillar of Mazda's business. The CX-30, the quasi-successor to the CX-3, now complements the range at the bottom end. As for the other end

We now have the Mazda CX-60, which is not only based on the new "Large Platform", but has also become the brand's first model with a plug-in hybrid powertrain. In addition, the CX-60 is supposed to be more in tune with the premium segment for which Mazda is striving to achieve.

At 15.5 feet long, 6.2 feet wide, and 5.5 feet tall, the CX-60 certainly isn't small. With 323 hp (241 kW), an eight-speed automatic, and all-wheel drive, does this SUV live up to Mazda's promised character traits?

Mazda's Kodo design language still allows the CX-60 to be recognized without a doubt as a model of the Japanese brand, holding a distinct design in the multitude of midsize SUVs. However, compared to the CX-3 or CX-5, the front end has been emphasized much more.

The long snout with a higher radiator grille, illuminated signature wing, vertical matrix LED headlight design, and a short rear leave no doubt that something is different underneath. Of course, there's a new platform with a longitudinally-mounted engine and rear-wheel-drive emphasis under the chic sheet metal skin.

Beneath the hood, Mazda combines a 189-hp 2.5-liter Skyactiv G four-cylinder gasoline engine with a 129-kW electric motor and a 355-volt lithium-ion battery with 17.8 kWh of storage capacity. The combined output equals 323 hp and 369 pound-feet (500 Newton-meters) of torque. Thusly equipped, the CX-60 is not only the brand's first PHEV vehicle, but also the most powerful production Mazda to date.

The hybrid powerplant connects to an eight-speed automatic without a torque converter, and a rear-heavy all-wheel-drive system called i-Activ AWD is also standard, distributing power as needed. On paper, the CX-60, which weighs around 4,500 pounds, can accelerate from a standstill to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.8 seconds. That's certainly faster than any MX-5.

The speed is electronically limited to 124 mph (200 km/h) in hybrid mode. When the batteries are full, you can theoretically drive up to 39 miles (63 kilometers) on electric power alone. However, electric speed is limited to 87 mph (140 km/h) and if you exceed this point, the gasoline engine automatically switches back on

There's potential for this PHEV to be a surprisingly fun-to-drive vehicle. Aside from a low center of gravity and a stiff body with double-wishbone front and a multi-link rear suspension, the CX-60 has the Kinematic Posture Control driving stability program from the MX-5 to reduce body roll. Looking at it all on paper, our guess is that this could be a rather fun SUV for daily duties

But what you see on paper doesn't always translate to real life. Slipping behind the wheel, we press the start button for a 62-mile (100-km) drive around the Portuguese coast, where the curvy hinterland offers a good impression of the CX-60. It should be mentioned that this particular vehicle is still a pre-production model that is not quite finalized yet.

As such, we're assured that the short grinding noise when changing from first to second gear, as well as the whistling sound of the electric motor, will disappear in production. That would certainly be better, as neither sounds fit the CX-60 premium aspirations.

The rest of the impression, however, burns itself into our memory in a thoroughly positive way. The gasoline engine sounds excellent, and the CX-60 drives like a Mazda should. The steering is nice and direct, the chassis manages the road-holding balancing act between comfort and sportiness well, the brakes react with surprising ambition, and the hybrid system doesn't let itself get out of control when individual components communicate with each other.

Nevertheless, you shouldn't expect a super-sized MX-5. You're too detached from the road for that. The best way to classify the handling is in relation to the competition. We find ourselves somewhere between the Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class (more comfortable) and the BMW X3 (sportier). Depending on the driving mode (EV, Normal, Sport, Offroad, Offroad Traction, or Trailer), the preferences can be shifted somewhat. However, the spread isn't too big.

Things get premium when we take a look at the various driver assists. A 360-degree monitor with pretty good resolution improves close-range visibility at low speeds. These are joined by a hill descent assistant, an adaptive cruise control system that can recognize speed limit signs, an exit warning, and an extended congestion assistance function that offers automatic steering, acceleration, and braking at speeds up to 93 mph (150 km/h). And you know what? It's not so silly in the heavy traffic around Lisbon. The system works flawlessly and you quickly trust it.

The wheelbase measures 113 inches (2.87 meters) and provides good space on all seats. The trunk capacity is 20 cubic feet (570 liters) and can be expanded to a maximum of 61 cubic feet (1,726 liters) by folding down the rear seats. And if a trailer is still required, the PHEV can also hook up to 2.5 tons.

Inside, the interior is not only practical but also chic with a minimalist design, similar to what we've seen in recent Mazdas. The workmanship looks good, and the choice of materials fits with the application. In addition, the seating position feels very ergonomic

The so-called Driver Personalization System recognizes who is currently sitting behind the wheel if you have registered beforehand. The driver's height has to be entered once, and an additional camera (which also detects inattentive traffic) is used to find the (almost) perfect seating position. Once set up, the seat position, steering wheel, mirrors, head-up display, and even sound and climate settings are adjusted automatically when you enter

It is a bit sad that the 12.3-inch infotainment screen cannot be operated via touch function, and the visualization could be a bit sharper. However, once you get used to the BMW-like Multi Commander, you'll be fine. That's especially true because the content is well-sorted, and there isn't much to navigate. The i-Active display behind the steering wheel, which is also 12.3 inches in size, looks good. Both features are standard equipment, by the way

Trim levels for the CX-60 include the Prime-line, Exclusive-line, Homura, and Takumi. Prices range from €47,390 to €52,890 from the basic to the top trim levels. From the Exclusive-line upward, prices for optional packages include: Driver Assistance (1,600 euros), Convenience & Sound (2,800 euros), Comfort package & leather upholstery (2,900 euros), and Premium Comfort (1,600 euros). A Panoramic glass sunroof (1,300 euros) is also available

Whether there was really a need for a large plug-in hybrid SUV above the CX-5, which will also feature newly developed six-cylinder engines in the future, remains to be seen. But now, the Mazda CX-60 is here and the product is quite respectable. During our test, we were able to experience a vehicle that has all the characteristics of a Mazda and also packs an extra portion of premium into the Japanese SUV. And after deducting over 7,000 euros in purchase premiums (as long as they still exist), the price for such a machine is also quite reasonable

Old 07-05-2022, 06:57 AM
Race Director

Mazda has announced an entirely new engine in its line-up, which will mark its debut under the hood of the CX-60. We are writing about the 3.3-liter, inline-six-cylinder diesel engine that Mazda calls e-Skyactiv D. It will come in two power versions, with up to 254 metric horsepower (250 horsepower), and it will have CO2 emissions as low as 127 grams per kilometer, Mazda notes.
64 photos

The new unit will be added to the Mazda CX-60 lineup in 2023 and will join the existing PHEV version, which is already available to order. The diesel engine that Mazda has developed for the CX-60, and possibly not just for it, is part of the company's "Multi-Solution Approach." In other words, Mazda does not want to put all its eggs in one basket and wants to have something for every customer group.

Mazda's latest engine is entirely new, and it is a first for the brand, as they have not had an inline-six-cylinder cylinder engine before. The unit is a bit unexpected in today's downsized world, as it has a large displacement, of 3.3 liters, which is bigger than what is normally found in the SUV segment. The Japanese marque calls its strategy "right-sizing," and it uses displacement to obtain a balance between torque, fuel efficiency, and power.

Do not worry, as Mazda claims that the unit is one of the cleanest diesel engines in the world, with a thermal efficiency of over 40 percent. The 3,283-cc (ca. 200 cui) unit is longitudinally installed under the hood of the CX-60 and features common rail direct injection. It comes with Mazda's M Hybrid Boost system, which is a 48-volt hybrid setup, along with a new system, called DCPCI.

The acronym seen above stands for Distribution-Controlled Partially Premixed Compression Ignition, and Mazda says it is one of the main reasons why its latest diesel is one of the cleanest in the world. The Japanese brand has not explained the system in detail, but its description sounds like it involves a precombustion chamber.

The company claims that CO2 emissions can go as low as 127 grams per kilometer, for the 200 metric horsepower (197 horsepower) variant with rear-wheel drive, while keeping fuel economy at 57.6 imperial mpg (ca. 4.9 liters/100 km).

The high-horsepower version comes with all-wheel drive as standard (Mazda's i-Activ AWD system), and it can sprint from naught to 60 mph (97 kph) in 7.4 seconds.

Top speed will be 219 kph, while peak torque is 550 Nm (ca. 404 lb.-ft.), which is better than the hybrid. Meanwhile, the WLTP average fuel consumption for this variant is 53.3 imperial mpg (ca. 5.3 liters/100 km), while CO2 emissions are rated at 137 grams per kilometer.

Thanks to this engine, Mazda's diesel-powered CX-60 will have a towing capacity of 2,500 kilograms (about 5511.55 lb.), the carmaker notes. When weight is concerned, the company claims that its 3.3-liter unit weighs "similar to the 2.2-liter" Skyactiv-D unit used in the CX-5, which is impressive, but still does not provide any figures.
Mazda CX-60 e-SkyActiv D Specifications Revealed, Is Company's First I6 Diesel - autoevolution

Biker, who wonders if the comfortable one will chime in on this one.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:30 AM

And we'll never see it here in the US.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:42 AM
Race Director

When Mazda unveiled the CX-60 in March, it highlighted the plug-in hybrid setup with its naturally aspirated 2.5-liter gasoline engine and electric motor making a combined 323 hp and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm). Then the diesel came along, a 3.3-liter straight-six good for 251 hp and 404 lb-ft (550 Nm). The Australian version gets both, plus a gasoline engine with the same 3.3-liter straight-six configuration and 48V mild-hybrid system as the oil-burner.

Judging solely by the output numbers, it doesn't seem too impressive. Mazda rates the newly developed gas engine at only 280 hp between 5,000 and 6,000 rpm while the 331 lb-ft (450 Nm) maximum torque arrives from 2,000 rpm until 3,500 rpm. These figures pale in comparison to those of the M139L engine that AMG installs in the new C63. The German performance sedan/wagon duo gets a much smaller 2.0-liter four-cylinder producing a whopping 476 hp and 402 lb-ft (545 Nm).

However, there could be a few explanations as to why the six-cylinder engine makes less than 300 hp. It might have to do with stricter emissions regulations and/or the engineers have deliberately detuned the 3.3-liter mill for better reliability and fuel economy. In an interview with CarExpert, a Mazda Australia spokesperson said the engine with different specifications will be installed in the widebody version of the SUV that will be sold in the United States as the CX-70. It'll also be installed in the bigger, three-row CX-90.

A different tune could possibly (and hopefully) mean more power for North America and it remains to be seen whether the type of fuel will make a difference as it does on the Mazda3 Turbo. The decision to roll out six-cylinder engines is a bit surprising considering most automakers are opting for downsizing to meet tougher emissions regulations. An under-stressed inline-six could be the solution to deliver the smoothness only an inline-six can deliver and combine it with improved reliability and lower emissions.
Mazda CX-60 Gets Turbo 3.3-Liter Inline-Six Engine With 280 HP (motor1.com)
Old 10-20-2022, 11:45 AM
Race Director

When it comes to crossover SUVs, Mazda's global lineup has a model, vehicle size and options package to satisfy any buyer's desires. But in the United Kingdom, where people sometimes choose to put diesels under the hood of their cars, unlike North Americans, the options are now even more varied.
9 photos

Whether it's the Euro-spec CX-60 or the wider, chunkier North American CX-70, Mazda's latest additions to the crossover family can look pretty different depending on the particular domestic market. This differentiation will only increase as the UK and European CX-60s in the country are set to get an exclusive drivetrain all its own. It's Mazda's e-Skyactiv D MHEV system. It consists of a 3.3-liter straight-six diesel engine complete with Mazda's own Distribution-Controlled Partially Premixed Compression Ignition (DCPCI) Technology. It is the tech that makes this power plant, according to the Japanese carmaker, one of the cleanest diesel engines in the world.

Two power outputs will be available to UK customers: it's the 197 horsepower (200 ps) version with rear-wheel drive and the 250 horsepower (254 ps) one, equipped with Mazda's i-Activ all-wheel-drive. Couple that with a 48-volt mild hybrid system, and we suspect this peppy little six-pot will be more than zippy enough for the target market for the CX-60.

This considerable horsepower combined with 56.5 mpg fuel economy for the entry-level variant is bound to be awfully tempting for British families feeling the strain of an ongoing energy crisis. At a time when fuel costs in the UK especially are teetering on the ragged edge of insanity, that should ameliorate at least a little bit of that anxiety. Not that the saving you see won't be offset by the considerable entry price for the diesel MHEV CX-60.

That'd be £42,990 (around $48,560 at today's exchange rate) before tax and fees for the entry-level Exclusive-Line trim and upwards of £50,730 ($57,304) for the top-of-the-line Takumi grade with 250 hp and all-wheel drive. It's a shame Americans swore off diesel passenger cars decades ago. We suspect they could make good use of such a peppy and efficient crossover SUV. Sadly, that's a privilege reserved for blighty old England at the moment.
Diesel MHEV Option Coming to the Mazda CX-60 in the UK, Skips U.S. Equivalents (autoevolution.com)
Old 11-29-2022, 08:43 AM
Race Director

While we are still waiting over in North America for the slightly larger CX-70, the Mazda CX-60 is almost ready to conquer yet another major region. Produced in Japan since spring this year, the RWD and AWD Skyactiv Multi-Solution Scalable Architecture crossover SUV with a longitudinal engine setup is available both with inline-four and larger straight-six engines, plus (for the very first time) with a sustainable PHEV option.

Mazda has now revealed the exact pricing and specification details for the Australian version of the CX-60, which kicks off at AUD 59,800. That is around $40,040 at the current exchange rates, placing it squarely above all U.S.-spec models, including the current $38,750 CX-9 flagship. However, there are a few caveats about the pricey quotation.

The 2023 Mazda CX-60 will arrive across nationwide Australian dealerships only starting in June 2023, and the Japanese carmaker is actively trying to set a new “benchmark in style, quality, and performance for the brand and its Mazda Premium philosophy.” As such, the model will only be available with inline-six turbocharged gasoline and diesel engines, all of them electrified, plus Mazda’s first-ever plug-in hybrid.

There are also just three grades - Evolve, GT, or Azami, plus a handful of optional packages: Vision Technology, Luxury, Takumi, and SP. The base CX-60 for Australia is the AUD 59,800 Evolve with the 3.3-liter e-Skyactiv G turbo with M Hybrid Boost, while the diesel version kicks off at AUD 61,800 ($41,418), and the 2.5-liter e-SkyActiv PHEV goes from AUD 72,300 ($48,455). By the way, all versions are hooked to the eight-speed Skyactiv-Drive automatic transmission and are available exclusively with the i-Activ AWD system.
Hybrid and AWD-Only 2023 Mazda CX-60 Mid-Size SUV Costs Over $40k in Australia - autoevolution