Lexus: GS News

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GS450h u mean.....and i dont believe the IS350 is boring at all...but i do agree with the bmw being the better "driver's car" and mayb the M45 is as well....but i dont see anything else beating the lexus......E500 didn't feel all that great

and most ppl who would buy these cars aren't taking them around corners really fast...they jus want a powerful luxo cruiser.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
i still prefer the GS interior over 5 series
Agree 100%
Old 03-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
German Lessons - - By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

LOS ANGELES -- Lexus executives have long envied BMW and Mercedes-Benz for the great press they get when they alternate sheet metal and powertrain changes on their vehicles every few years.

Lexus traditionally has changed sheet metal and powertrains at the same time. Now that's changing.

The company will upgrade the engines on both versions of the GS sedan within a year.

This fall, the GS 300, equipped with a 3.0-liter V-6, will get a 3.5-liter V-6 and be renamed the GS 350. It's more than a displacement bump; the GS 350 engine is part of a new engine family also used in the IS 350 sedan.

The 4.3-liter V-8 engine in the GS 430 will be bumped to 4.6 liters in spring 2007. The new model will be called the GS 460.

The GS was redesigned for the 2006 model year, so it is not due for new sheet metal for another five years or so.

Lexus is waiting for the redesigned 4.6-liter engine to debut in the LS 460 flagship this fall before moving it into other vehicles. The LS 460 will have an eight-speed automatic transmission. A Lexus source did not know if that transmission would carry over to the GS 460 as well.

Last month, Lexus confirmed that it was boosting the V-6 engine's displacement in the RX 330 SUV to 3.5 liters. That vehicle shares the engine with the Lexus ES 350 sedan. The V-6 engines in the IS and ES are mounted differently: the ES transversely, the IS longitudinally.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 PM
101 years of heartache...

yep. we all figured that'd be happening.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Shocker
Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Wow, what a surprise.

JDM GS350 has been around for 7 months already.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro

I wonder if the next MDX gets a new or revised engine would the RL get it as well. At TOV it was mentioned that the MDX was going to get a 3.8L motor. It stands to reason that the RL could get it too allowing the TL to get the 3.5.

However, unlike Lexus or any other luxury company, the average person would never know since Acura dropped the numeric part in their names.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So do the IS350, ES350, and RX350 all have the same engine?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSMTL01
So do the IS350, ES350, and RX350 all have the same engine?
Yeah. As also found in the Avalon, Camry, and Rav-4. The big difference is it's mounted differently in the GS and IS, as opposed to the ES and RX (longitudinally vs. transversely) because of the the seperate RWD vs. FWD applications.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Drifting

So toyota is kind of following nissan's route with the vq? Do they tune/detune it for certain applications?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by titan
Yeah. As also found in the Avalon, Camry, and Rav-4. The big difference is it's mounted differently in the GS and IS, as opposed to the ES and RX (longitudinally vs. transversely) because of the the seperate RWD vs. FWD applications.
i think other difference is in IS it gets direct injection while in some other uses it does not
Old 03-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

So toyota is kind of following nissan's route with the vq? Do they tune/detune it for certain applications?
of course....its rated 268hp (i believe) in the avalon and 306 in the IS

i wonder how the lexus fanboys feel about toyo "whoring" this engine....that's all they could talk about the VQ
Old 03-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Drifting

i wonder how the lexus fanboys feel about toyo "whoring" this engine....that's all they could talk about the VQ
If it does the job who cares?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

the VQ is awesome and so is toyo's 3.5
Old 03-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Yeah, they loved to rag on the VQ. Ofcourse, now that Toyota's taken than page out of Nissan's playbook, the Lexus fanboys will call it a genius move that will further help Toyota's drive to take over the world.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

No one should...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
The switch of engines was obvious from day one. Most of the rest of the world went straight to the GS350. Now Lexus has an excuse to increase prices and call the car "all new" - brilliant marketeering

It's times like this I feel just slightly sorry for the early adopters - how would you like to get stuck with a single year model car.

I still say the biggest downfall of the car that few folks talk about is that poor excuse for a trunk.

Every year the Japanese seem to get closer to the Germans in each category but yet never take over - seems like the trend will continue.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by biker

I still say the biggest downfall of the car that few folks talk about is that poor excuse for a trunk.
I'm really surprised that very few of the auto reviews address that issue. They list the trunk capacity, but don't mention how small the trunk opening is, due to the car's design.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

doesn't a fully loaded GS430 top out at ~$60k?
$5k more for a limited edition isnt too bad
60k? holy crap. i would never buy a GS for 60k. but then again, i'm a broke college student

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Bmws interiors are hurting in general, that has nothing to do with Lexus.

i make fun of the 3's interior and i get flamed by some idiot cuz he can't take the truth.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Minus the stupid iDrive, I traditionally liked BMW interiors.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
Minus the stupid iDrive, I traditionally liked BMW interiors.
The older BMW interiors were good. The new ones are garbage, IMO. The Bangle influence just doesn't translate well to the interior.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92

i make fun of the 3's interior and i get flamed by some idiot cuz he can't take the truth.
i hear yah, dude. i said that RL sales were lingering around the bottom of its class and someone told me they were ASHAMED to be from the same hometown as me because i was making baseless claims. There are a lot of moronic people on these forums that can't defend their opinions with anything but FLAMES

I don't know about BMW's interior material quality, but I do know I don't like the design and layout of the latest generations.

The last generations of each model (3, 5, 7) were probably the last interiors I liked.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 03-20-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:48 AM
10th Gear

Hey no fair. I never said anything bad about Acura. I actually prefer the TL over the G35. Engine sharing across platforms is nothing new to Toyota, Honda nor Nissan. Nissan has used the VQ in many of their platforms...more so than other brands. Sure Toyota maybe using the GR series V6 in many applications but at least there is variation between each model in terms of technology and equipment and displacement. What I really think is retarded is people talking smack on another forum just to make a point. I'm not here to preach Lexus because this isn't the place, but you have to admit they are good at what they do, that's why they're the #1 selling luxury nameplate in the US. That's fact, not opinion. As for my own preferences i'm more inclined to by Honda/Acura brand vehicle over any Nissan/Infiniti. Cheers.

Last edited by Flipside951; 03-25-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Flipside951
Hey no fair. I never said anything bad about Acura. I actually prefer the TL over the G35. Engine sharing across platforms is nothing new to Toyota, Honda nor Nissan. Nissan has used the VQ in many of their platforms...more so than other brands. Sure Toyota maybe using the GR series V6 in many applications but at least there is variation between each model in terms of technology and equipment and displacement. What I really think is retarded is people talking smack on another forum just to make a point. I'm not here to preach Lexus because this isn't the place, but you have to admit they are good at what they do, that's why they're the #1 selling luxury nameplate in the US. That's fact, not opinion. As for my own preferences i'm more inclined to by Honda/Acura brand vehicle over any Nissan/Infiniti. Cheers.
Oh good since you are on here now maybe you can answer a question. When nissan or infiniti come up in conversation in clublexus why do you and your best friend try their best to put them down. If one person says something positive about it, you say something negative to counter it. I just dont get your hatred towards that brand. You guys are pretty much infamous it seems on many forums when it comes to your negativity toward nissan/infiniti. Well, more 1sicklex than you but you sure are getting there. Lexus is a good brand, but geez, give others a break. Is it because you are threatened by infiniti? Before infiniti, acura was the huge topic of negativity on club lexus.

Just so this post isnt so off topic, yay for new engines.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:50 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03TL-S
Oh good since you are on here now maybe you can answer a question. When nissan or infiniti come up in conversation in clublexus why do you and your best friend try their best to put them down. If one person says something positive about it, you say something negative to counter it. I just dont get your hatred towards that brand. You guys are pretty much infamous it seems on many forums when it comes to your negativity toward nissan/infiniti. Well, more 1sicklex than you but you sure are getting there. Lexus is a good brand, but geez, give others a break. Is it because you are threatened by infiniti? Before infiniti, acura was the huge topic of negativity on club lexus.

Just so this post isnt so off topic, yay for new engines.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by phile
The older BMW interiors were good. The new ones are garbage, IMO. The Bangle influence just doesn't translate well to the interior.
Still better than an Infiniti, Lexus, or Acura though. Audi typically is the interior leader in the luxury segment. My dad's 545i interior use better materials and is more ergonomic than my mom's Lexus. Design is subjective, but it's ignorant to call BMW's new interior garbage.

Last edited by Maximized; 03-25-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Think the defining part of a luxury interior is the dash and when it comes to dashes, fine materials aren't worth a damn without a well thought out design to support them. Most, if not all luxury companies can come up with something comfortable/quality from the front seats back.

Think I would be fine with the new 3-series dash even though its nothing really new, but I can't say I'm impressed even a little with the rest of the bmw line. I sit in their cars at the autos shows and I honestly can't believe people eat that shit up.

Audi on the other hand has remained consistently the best imo as far as interiors go.

Last edited by heyitsme; 03-25-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

i wouldnt say bmw's interior is garbage...it's just the design/layout isnt as....ummm...attractive
Old 03-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Think the defining part of a luxury interior is the dash and when it comes to dashes, fine materials aren't worth a damn without a well thought out design to support them. Most, if not all luxury companies can come up with something comfortable/quality from the front seats back.

Think I would be fine with the new 3-series dash even though its nothing really new, but I can't say I'm impressed even a little with the rest of the bmw line. I sit in their cars at the autos shows and I honestly can't believe people eat that shit up.

Audi on the other hand has remained consistently the best imo as far as interiors go.
So you can have a nicely designed dash, but you GM quality plastics and it's defined as luxury? Come on now.

My dad had an A8L and it was probably one of the nicest interiors my butt has sat in. His 545i isn't as nice, but it's at a different price point. The BMW interior is more driver orientated. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maximized
So you can have a nicely designed dash, but you GM quality plastics and it's defined as luxury? Come on now.

Who said that?

"fine materials aren't worth a damn without a well thought out design to support them."

But gm is another example, like cadillac using really wood/aluminum etc but without a nice design to put the materials on, a lot of people still aren't excited about their new vehicles.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Who said that?

"fine materials aren't worth a damn without a well thought out design to support them."

But gm is another example, like cadillac using really wood/aluminum etc but without a nice design to put the materials on, a lot of people still aren't excited about their new vehicles.
So if Hyundai built a well designed interior and used Sonata quality materials, using your logic it's luxury. Luxury is in the details. Details usely are present in higher quality materials, hence the higher cost. Luxury brands like BMW and Audi use very high grade interior apppointments. Design is subjective.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

So if Hyundai built a well designed interior and used Sonata quality materials, using your logic it's luxury. Luxury is in the details. Details usely are present in higher quality materials, hence the higher cost. Luxury brands like BMW and Audi use very high grade interior apppointments. Design is subjective.

WTF are you talking about? If Hyundai put real wood and aluminum in their Sonata with a great dash design would it be on par with BMW, god damn yes it would.

But no, the Sonata interior is not a great design inside and the materials are something I should or anyone else should have remembered not to like. Sat in one after hearing all the great things about the car and I thought the interior pretty much flat out sucked, take a Fusion interior over the Sonata interior any day.

You keep grouping BMW with Audi like Audi deserves that kinda disrespect. BMW isn't in the realm of Audi interiors or even close. Design is subjective until the design flat out sucks like BMW has managed to achieve- the realm of the suck.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Pinky all stinky

But no, the Sonata interior is not a great design inside and the materials are something I should or anyone else should have remembered not to like. Sat in one after hearing all the great things about the car and I thought the interior pretty much flat out sucked, take a Fusion interior over the Sonata interior any day.
Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who's puzzled over all the media hype about the Sonata's interior. It is hardly on par with the Camry and Accord, and yet all the reviews rave about.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Pinky all stinky

Still better than an Infiniti, Lexus, or Acura though. Audi typically is the interior leader in the luxury segment. My dad's 545i interior use better materials and is more ergonomic than my mom's Lexus. Design is subjective, but it's ignorant to call BMW's new interior garbage.

The newer BMW designs are simply not attractive to me; my usage of 'garbage' was to exaggerate my dislike for the them. Design is subjective, what I think of it cannot possibly be described as 'ignorant' and on the opposite extreme, neither 'brilliant' or whatever, by you or anyone else for that matter.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Suzuka Master

WTF are you talking about? If Hyundai put real wood and aluminum in their Sonata with a great dash design would it be on par with BMW, god damn yes it would.

You keep grouping BMW with Audi like Audi deserves that kinda disrespect. BMW isn't in the realm of Audi interiors or even close. Design is subjective until the design flat out sucks like BMW has managed to achieve- the realm of the suck.
You basically were stating that a design is what makes or breaks an interior. That's false. It's the materials and luxury content. Design again is subjective to personal opinion. My dad has had both Audis and Bimmers, which I've driven extensively over the years. The Audi's are more luxurious, but the BMW's were more driver orientated. Differnet design ideas, but both are very luxurios and hardly suck.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:20 AM
10th Gear

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I was very fond of Nissan products until Carlos Ghosn stepped in and took away the appeal of the vehicles...and the soul of their core products. Everyone has opinions of every car make...I just disagree with Nissan's direction...especially when a very distinguished Japanese auto manufacturer turned to another country for direction. Sure it helped them out, but at the expense of watering down their vehicles. Now that the company's HQ is moving out of CA, who knows whats next. Just look at it this way...every forum will have bias towards their own brand. Expect it...from moderates...to the extremists. Everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it. At least you don't see flame wars on CL like you do on other forums I will not mention. We're civil compared to some others out there. Brand bias is nothing new...thats why there are different forums out there for different makes. If you don't like what you see, don't read it. As to your question about if i'm threatened? Why should I be or why should it matter? I will never consider buying their products anytime soon...nothing they offer impresses me. They may have lots of power...but that's not the only think I look for. I'm more inclined to buy an Acura over an Infiniti. Reputation and quality are attributes that come into play for me. That's just my preference.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Pro

i thought the mod already deleted that post already
Old 03-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flipside951
I'm more inclined to buy an Acura over an Infiniti. Reputation and quality are attributes that come into play for me. That's just my preference.
I agree...I'd rather buy a car for quality and other attributes that make it better than others. Infiniti, with all those tranny problems, lack of v8, lack of rwd models and options and trims, they just don't do it for me.

Oh wait, that's Acura.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I agree...I'd rather buy a car for quality and other attributes that make it better than others. Infiniti, with all those tranny problems, lack of v8, lack of rwd models and options and trims, they just don't do it for me.

Oh wait, that's Acura.
oooo man...u almost made me choke on my water
Old 03-26-2006, 10:00 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrdeeno

Oh wait, that's Acura.

Although I like Acura =P

Quick Reply: Lexus: GS News