Infiniti: QX50 News

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts

I actually don't see the point of the EX, other than that it fills a void in the Infiniti lineup.

Okay, so it will have a taller roofline = crappier handling, but it won't have a high seating position for teh ladies. It won't really have much utility, aka towing, cargo capacity. It will be heavier = slower. I mean seriously, how many more vehicles is Nissan gonna shove the VQ into...

Hmmmm.... thanks.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ It's interesting. I don't remember anyone saying said the same thing about the X3 or RDX. Why shouldn't Infiniti have the EX? And why not use the VQ? It kicks ass. It's definitely more appealing than the RDX's engine.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by titan
^ It's definitely more appealing than the RDX's engine.

I agree, it's definitely a more appealing engine than the turbobanger.

I just don't see the reason to stuff it on yet another platform which offers very little in the way of utility.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

I actually don't see the point of the EX, other than that it fills a void in the Infiniti lineup.

Okay, so it will have a taller roofline = crappier handling, but it won't have a high seating position for teh ladies. It won't really have much utility, aka towing, cargo capacity. It will be heavier = slower. I mean seriously, how many more vehicles is Nissan gonna shove the VQ into...

Hmmmm.... thanks.

crappier handling than? heavier and slower than? wat r u trying to say? the EX never been out before so wat r u comparing it to? and wats wrong with the VQ? its the best V6 ever built...there are other suvs in this segment...the EX isn't the only one
Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
exactly what im thinking. i dont know what fibonacci is comparing this car to.. but if this car is supposed to slot right under the FX that means its got a huge comparo of cars. the EX will definitely outhandle (if its anything like the FX in the suspension department), outperform (that VQ V6 is no freakin joke), and out-style any of its competitors in the market. the EX is a direct comptetion to the BMW x3, Acura RDX, Land Rover LR2 and the cadillac SRX. so which one of these are you comparing the EX to??? because i dont see how the EX is slower, crapier in handling, less cargo capacity, or capability to tow than any of these other vehicles. Also, another point, im hell of a lot sure that the EX will be able to tow much more weight than the competition. that VQ's got torque, something thats missing in the other 4 crossover suvs.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
another point to make is... how many people actually use an SUV for what it's intended to do? most of the time I just see 1 person in an SUV, no tow, no roof racks etc etc.

People just use SUVs as a normal car IMO
Old 07-15-2007, 08:19 AM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by aaronnn
exactly what im thinking. i dont know what fibonacci is comparing this car to.. but if this car is supposed to slot right under the FX that means its got a huge comparo of cars.

I'm comparing this car to almost a half-dozen Nissan cars which already sport the VQ. Am I knocking the engine? Everyone knows it's a great engine.

I'm simply questioning why a driving enthusiast would buy a taller, heavier, vehicle when you can buy a cheaper, lighter VQ already, aka teh Z. Or if you need all-wheel drive, the G35.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing the EX

I'm comparing this car to almost a half-dozen Nissan cars which already sport the VQ. Am I knocking the engine? Everyone knows it's a great engine.

I'm simply questioning why a driving enthusiast would buy a taller, heavier, vehicle when you can buy a cheaper, lighter VQ already, aka teh Z. Or if you need all-wheel drive, the G35.
Actually, I am very much looking forward to seeing this EX. It may be my next car. I have a TSX which I am very happy with. However, being my only car, it is a bit of a problem when I need to haul stuff home, esp. since I love gardening and I just can't put too many plants and trees in a TSX! The EX would be perfect because it's going to allow me to put in larger items from time to time.

I understand that the VQ engine for the EX has been tuned to have lower HP and higher torque. It's supposed to have better fuel economy than the regular VQ too... we shall see!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

hmmmm....so u were comparing the EX to a Z and G

so u jus dont like this suv class as a whole...not jus the EX, right? ie EX, X3, RDX, etc
Old 07-15-2007, 11:05 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

because the majority of buyers arent really driving enthusiasts and its not marketed towards driving enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
so u jus dont like this suv class as a whole...not jus the EX, right? ie EX, X3, RDX, etc
To each his own.

I'm not knocking the class. But if you look at the preliminary size and dimensions of the EX, it just doesn't really make sense to me, it's too small as configured to be really usefull as a small utility vehicle. It almost looks like a hatchback, mazda 3ish size, except knowing Nissan, it will prob weigh close to two tons.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 AM
8th Gear

To each his own.

I'm not knocking the class. But if you look at the preliminary size and dimensions of the EX, it just doesn't really make sense to me, it's too small as configured to be really usefull as a small utility vehicle. It almost looks like a hatchback, mazda 3ish size, except knowing Nissan, it will prob weigh close to two tons.
That's why it's called a "crossover". If you want a Z (or other roadster-class car), you buy a Z; if you want what an M offers you buy and M. If you like the FX but maybe want something a tad smaller and less expensive with similar features and characteristics, you buy an EX. And if thre aren't enough people who see it that way, then the EX will go the way of the Edsel.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Race Director

I see it that way! To me I think the EX35 will be a hit.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Race Director

wish they more real life pics of the car on the track or something. the G37 is overshadowing this SUV right now.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
wish they more real life pics of the car on the track or something. the G37 is overshadowing this SUV right now.
that's a good thing...roll out the G37 and let it get the spotlight, and when that starts dying down, roll out the EX. You don't want too many products to have the spotlight at one time.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Race Director

well i've seen Acura do it introducing both the RDX and new MDX about 2-3 months from each other, kind of around the same time.

i'm just sick of waiting already, i want to be able to test drive and sit in the EX35 production vehicle.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Unveiled

Infiniti EX Crossover Unveiled
Infiniti has taken the wraps off its long-awaited EX crossover, due to be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance this week. The production EX retains much of the sleek styling of the concept shown at the New York Auto Show in April.

Designed by the Infiniti design centre in Japan, the EX35 combines the style of a coupe with the height of a 4×4. We’ve seen sporty crossovers before, but the EX manages to look both sporting and fairly compact (at least in the pictures). It will also be the first car with “self-healing” clearcoat paint, designed to fix minor scratches up to three years from the build date.

Sharing the same FR-L platform as the Infiniti M, FX and G Coupe and Saloon models, the EX is powered by the super-slick VQ35HR 3.5-liter V6 engine and develops in excess of 290hp (in US-spec). The usual assortment of stability and traction controls also come standard.

The EX crossover is vital to Infiniti’s plans to enter Europe. It will be one of the four models the company will launch with in 2008 as most buyers don’t like large SUVs.

All new 2008 Infiniti EX coming to Europe

* EX revealed 16 August at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
* Innovative Coupe Crossover concept
* Standard ‘ATTESA E-TS’ all-wheel drive
* Powered by a 3.5-litre 290hp V6 (US specification)
* First introduction of the advanced Around View Monitor system
* To be launched progressively across Europe starting from Autumn 2008 together with the G Saloon, G Coupe and a successor to the iconic FX

ROLLE, SWITZERLAND (16.08.07): The all-new 2008 Infiniti EX coupe crossover, revealed this week at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, will form part of a four model premium range that will be launched across Europe starting from Autumn 2008.

The EX is a new addition to the global Infiniti range. To be badged EX35 when it goes on sale in the US at the end of this year, this all-wheel drive crossover slots in below the iconic FX and offers an exceptional combination of seductive design, elegant interior and advanced technology systems. These include the world production car debut of the advanced Around View Monitor (AVM) system, which utilizes four small cameras to give the driver a “top-down view” of the outside of the vehicle while parking. The new EX35 also becomes the second Infiniti production vehicle, following the Autumn introduction in the US of the 2008 Infiniti M-series, to offer the new Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system, and the first to feature “Scratch Shield,” a special “self-healing” clearcoat paint. Launch timing of these technologies in Europe is to be confirmed.
Coupe-Inspired Exterior

Designed by the Infiniti design centre in Japan, the EX35’s sculpted elegance should have a timeless appeal. Sleek lines portray speed, grace and finesse combining the look and feel of a luxury coupe with the elevated cabin of a 4×4.

The sporty proportions include a long hood, short front and rear overhangs, rearward cabin and smooth coupe-like roofline arching over the windows to the C-pillars.
“The EX35 is the perfect fusion of a luxury coupe and a sporty 4×4,” said Jim Wright, Vice President Infiniti Europe.

The EX35 has a length of 4631mm and a width of 1803mm making it maneuverable in town. While a height of 1589mm gives it a more dynamic stance and a lower centre of gravity than most other 4×4s.

EX35’s exterior includes many signature Infiniti touches, including a double-arch grille, large L-shaped headlights with available Bi-Xenon Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), integrated fog lights, distinctive LED taillights and “dynamic arch” profile. Other exterior features include a high-mounted rear hatchback spoiler, chrome-finished dual exhaust pipes, an available power tilt/sliding sunroof with one-touch activation and optional roof rails and crossbars. The EX35 also features a standard puddle lamp integrated in the driver’s side door mirror as part of the Hospitality Lighting Concept.
Eight exterior colors will be offered including two shades new to the model.

One of the unique features of the new EX35 is the special “Scratch Shield,” a special “self-healing” clearcoat paint, which is designed to maintain its gloss-level over time. The paint repairs fine scratches, such as fingernail scratches under door handles, restoring the EX35’s surface close to the original state. The process, which takes anywhere from one day to one week (depending on the surrounding temperature and the depth of the scratch), is accomplished through the use of a special highly elastic resin. This resin is combined with a conventional clearcoat to increase the paint’s flexibility and strength by raising the resin density.
Elegant Interior Design

Like all Infiniti vehicles, the EX35 is conceived to offer an invigorating and engaging interior environment. And one that is both indulgent and inspiring.

The driver-focused “wave-inspired” cabin layout features an Infiniti signature “double-wave” instrument panel, easy-to-read high-contrast gauges with white-and-violet illumination and hospitality lighting with a pin LED light mounted over the center console and Infiniti-signature analog clock.

The instrument panel also features a 7-inch color display with Infiniti controller for the trip computer and additional vehicle information, including the available Infiniti Hard Disk based Navigation System with 9.3GB Music Box hard drive for music storage and playback.

Other technology systems include available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System and standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition. Available technology features include RearView Camera (available separately, or as part of the Around View Monitor system), front and rear parking sensors, Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) and Bose® Premium Audio System with 11 speakers including 2 subwoofers, 6CD in-dash changer and iPod® connectivity.

The interior is offered with cloth or leather-upholstered seating surfaces, available in four different colour concepts, reflecting Infiniti’s desire to offer the customer a high level of personalisation. A special Black Lacquer trim comes standard on the center console, with optional genuine Maple wood trim for the centre

An 8-way power driver’s seat with 2-way manual lumbar support is standard, along with a 4-way power passenger’s seat. A driver’s seat memory system is also offered, along with available heated front seats and 8-way power front passenger’s seat. Also available is an unusual 60/40 split power-folding 2nd row seat (operated from the front or hatch area) making it easier to get the best out of the interior space.
“The EX35’s interior is all about driving pleasure and passenger comfort,” said Wright. “Like the exterior, it offers a coupe-like feel but surprising versatility – ideal for today’s active lifestyles. Its design is elegant and made using beautiful materials that indulge as well as calm. ”
Advanced Platform and Powertrain

Under the EX35’s dramatic body is an equally advanced platform and powertrain based on the latest Infiniti performance technology. Its advanced FR-L platform provides the same high levels of handling precision and balance as it does for the Infiniti M, FX and G Coupe and Saloon.

Every 2008 US-specification Infiniti EX35 comes as standard with the fourth-generation VQ35HR 3.5-liter V6 engine (shared with the new G35 Saloon), rated at 290-plus horsepower (estimated) and 5-speed automatic transmission with manual mode, DS sport mode with Downshift Rev Matching (DRM), and Adaptive Shift Control.

The engine block features ladder frame construction, variable exhaust cam timing (eCVTCS), asymmetric piston skirts, twin knock sensors and Iridium spark plugs. Its symmetric twin ram air intake system helps reduce airflow resistance, while the dual exhaust system has been designed with equal length exhaust manifolds and reduced muffler exhaust pressure help improve engine breathing.

Both are tuned to create authoritative harmonies, helping enhance driving pleasure, an exciting engine sound and expected improvements in emissions and fuel economy (versus the previous generation VQ engine).

The fourth-generation VQ engine design also includes a long list of advanced systems found on the previous design – including a Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), a “noiseless” timing chain for quiet operation, an electronically controlled “drive-by-wire” throttle system, microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, and molybdenum coated lightweight pistons.

Every EX35 utilizes a subframe-mounted independent front double-wishbone suspension with aluminum-alloy upper and lower links, high-performance dual-flow pass shock absorbers and anti-roll bar. The rear suspension is an independent multi-link design with aluminum-alloy upper and lower links and axle housing, high-performance dual-flow pass shock absorbers and anti-roll bar.

Steering is provided by a speed-sensitive power-assisted steering system with power-assisted front and rear discs (vented front) and standard Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA).

Also standard is Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS), while an advanced Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) with Preview Braking is optionally available.

Available wheel and tire combinations include an 18-inch 8-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/55R18 tires.

EX35 features Infiniti’s ATTESA E-TS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel drive system, which is also utilized on the 2008 M, FX and G Saloon.
The system utilizes an active torque distribution management system with an active centre clutch designed for smooth starts and better traction and maneuverability on snowy and wet roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems, plus minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
Advanced New Technology

The EX35’s advanced technology design is highlighted by one system that is the first production version available in the US and Europe: the Infiniti Around View Monitor.

It utilizes small front, side and rear-mounted cameras to project an all-around view of potential objects on every side of the vehicle – helping reduce blind spots when parking.

“Conventional mirrors, no matter how carefully you use them, just can’t provide a view around the car that the Around View Monitor’s four-camera system does,” said Wright. “Rear bumper parking sensors help detect objects behind a car, but again they can’t give the view of the space around the vehicle that the AVM does.”
EX35 European specification

The information given above relates to the US market EX35. Specifications of the European version will be confirmed closer to the on sale date.

In terms of positioning, it is difficult to find any direct rivals for the EX being arguably the first of a new wave of coupe crossovers. But looking at other cars available currently, the EX might be lined up against rivals as diverse as the BMW X3 3.0si and Audi A4 3.2FSI quattro avant.
Infiniti Europe

The EX will get its first European showing at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show. The brand will be launched across Europe, city by city, starting in the autumn of 2008 – a process that will take two years. Infiniti Europe will reveal more details of its launch schedule towards the end of 2007.

Four models will be available in Europe from launch. These will include the G saloon, the G coupe, the EX as detailed above, and a successor to the iconic FX to be unveiled next year. A replacement for the M-series will join the European range early in the next decade along with the option, on the M-, EX- and FX-series, of a high performance V6 diesel.

Superior customer service will be as important to Infiniti as the product. This starts with the retail network, all of which will employ the new Infiniti Retail Design Environment Initiative (IREDI) that has a look and feel more akin to a luxury designer hotel than a car showroom, and continues with Infiniti’s Total Ownership Experience (TOE) philosophy that covers all contacts the customer will have with the brand.

Said Wright: “The launch of a premium car brand in Europe is a rare and special event. Infiniti will have the simple philosophy of offering the independently minded customer a new alternative of vibrant product teamed with excellent service. The cars are all elegantly designed, comprehensively equipped and aimed at the enthusiast. But they are only half the story. Effortless ownership will be equally important as you will discover closer to the launch.”
Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Race Director

I like the reality, only thing really the design isn't as loud as the FX. I still am considering this to replace my TSX.

The EX shares the gauges on the G35 and G37. The way I really see this is a G35 sedan that is just taller, which is fine with me.

It appears that the dashboard is leather? Wish they got rid of the ugly antenna in the back.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Interior is tasty!

Outside looks kinda Tribeca-ish, no?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts

It appears that the dashboard is leather?
No, only the hood over the gauges is covered in leather. But it still looks hot.

Best Infiniti interior, IMO, polished wood > matte wood.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Loseit
Interior is tasty!

Outside looks kinda Tribeca-ish, no?

The front looks just like the G35/G37, the back only the taillights resemble the Tribeca.

Btw, wish they could've borrowed the same taillights pattern scheme as the G35 and M35/M45 with the round LED pattern.

Again, this will eat the RDX for breakfast, but I don't think that would be hard to do. Now, could this beat the X3 in sales? Not sure, but I hope.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
The front looks just like the G35/G37, the back only the taillights resemble the Tribeca.

Btw, wish they could've borrowed the same taillights pattern scheme as the G35 and M35/M45 with the round LED pattern.

Again, this will eat the RDX for breakfast, but I don't think that would be hard to do. Now, could this beat the X3 in sales? Not sure, but I hope.
I wish it looked a little more agressive. It looks "droopy". Maybe that photochopped background is killing the way it looks. It doesn't look cohesive. Those taillights are out. Way out.
That interior is BEAUTIFUL!! ala caddy cut and sew!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Race Director

oh yeah, why did they make the underbody part plastic and unpainted? is the FX's underbody part also plastic?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts

I dunno, I prefer the stacked LEDs to the circular patterns.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Safety Car

My first impressions are really good. As many have said, the exterior isn't as aggressive and in your face as the FX, but that's okay, IMO, because the next gen FX is sure to pick up where the current one leaves off. The interior's is 99% perfection. My one gripe is that it doesn't offer the Matte Rosewood trim, which has been an absolutely beautiful trademark for Infiniti for years. The polished maple looks great, but the Rosewood's nicer, IMO.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
After seeing it in person at the NY Auto Show, it definitely struck me as an SUV alternative to the G35.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

that wood trim sure looks nice
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Interior looks nice, exterior is total IMO
Old 08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
i think this is first time we've disagreed Jax

i'd rather take this than the RDX.

well, i guess this is one suv that won't be a chick magnet to Jax. i guess i could blindfold you and then unblindfold you when you sit in an EX35.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:05 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX

i hope the new FX looks more like the M rather than the EX, where i can see cues from the G.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

i think this is first time we've disagreed Jax

i'd rather take this than the RDX.

well, i guess this is one suv that won't be a chick magnet to Jax. i guess i could blindfold you and then unblindfold you when you sit in an EX35.
Nope, definitely not a Jax magnet :wink:
Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Nice. The interior colors looks excellent. The exterior design remind me of a stationwagon/hatchback version of the G35. Not bad, per se, but not unique like the FX was.

And I would take this EX35 over the RDX.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Infiniti EX35 Photos and Europe Press Release

"All new 2008 Infiniti EX coming to Europe

* EX revealed 16 August at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
* Innovative Coupe Crossover concept
* Standard 'ATTESA E-TS' all-wheel drive