Hyundai: Equus News

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Since it's politically incorrect these days to be seen in an S-classe this could do quite well.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
People who want an S class will get one....just like people who want a Ferrari or Lambo...etc.

P.C. does not make people shy away from high end cars.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi

interior sketches
We're doin the gansta lean.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will hyundai hit another home run?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I don't understand what this is ... Is it replacing the Azera?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
hail to the victors

no it's a S class fighter. it will be bigger and more powerful genesis. it's hyundai's flagship.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 PM
hail to the victors

it will most likely have 3 trims in korea. v6, tau v8, and modified tau v8. tau can be easily modified, so i assume it will have over 400hp. 420hp ish?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I wonder if Hyundai will bring this here if the Genesis does well. I'm pretty impressed with them these days. I don't care that they steal a few styling cues at all, as long as it looks good. I'm sure BMW, MB, Lexus, ect. take it as flattery anyhow.. What I really think they need if and when the economy picks up is a new brand name for their high end cars so that us Americans can feel exclusive when we buy one.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
.. What I really think they need if and when the economy picks up is a new brand name for their high end cars so that us Americans can feel exclusive when we buy one.
That's exactly what they shouldn't do...just yet anyway...
With the luxury brand come luxury prices, or there is no "exclusivity" to it at all.
They still have a ways to go before they are able to introduce a luxury line like Nissan, Toyota and Honda have done - But I feel they are well on their way and maybe in 5-10 years, it would make sense.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i'm interested again.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM

front looks like the S class.

rear looks like the LS460 because of the exhaust and maxima because of the tail lights.

that said, the front looks really good. the rear is kinda bland. the wheels are boring.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Drifting

I'll stick with Genesis.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
front looks like the S class.

rear looks like the LS460 because of the exhaust and maxima because of the tail lights.

that said, the front looks really good. the rear is kinda bland. the wheels are boring.
I thought the exact same thing. Also, the rear profile is a perfect copy of the new Lacrosse's Sweepspear character line. All in all, a very unoriginal design.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
No surprise, very unoriginal.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Honda/Acura, are you watching this?!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
wow, didnt realize that the genesis was a stepping stone into a luxo market. i thought that the genesis WAS their attempt at a luxo car. the equus will supp. be bigger and better.

hyundai is making some moves. with the american automotive industry teetering on the verge of extinction, hyundai could become a MAJOR player in the states in a mere 5 years. once they become established and create a uniform marketable image, there is only room for improvement. i would actually consider investing in Hyundai Motors if it was in my nature to buy individual stocks.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-17-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

The Genesis is pushing close to 40K, so this if it does come here will be a 40K-50K Hyundai. I'm not sure if that's going to fly.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
The Genesis is pushing close to 40K, so this if it does come here will be a 40K-50K Hyundai. I'm not sure if that's going to fly.
i dont think it will fly either for most american buyers.

hyundai doesnt have enough presence in the states. they have just introduced the genesis and will have to allow time for the build up of american appeal. in the meantime, hyundai could use the equus to gain foreign fan fair, while advancing their skills in producing a luxury vehicle. when they start to master this, they could turn back to american and european markets, which are more sensitive on build quality. besidies, it will take some time for americans to get adapted to the genesis. i doubt the equus would come now. hyundai seems to have an intelligent, competent sales dept. that would realize that a 45k hyundai is not a wise investment to bring stateside.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-17-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
We've seen plenty of spy shots and teasers showing Hyundai's new flagship luxury sedan, the Equus. These, however, are the first official images of the big South Korean luxury car that appear to be from an actual brochure. The Equus is about 7 inches longer, 1.5 inches wider and has a wheelbase nearly 4.5 inches longer than the Genesis, but will launch in South Korea using the same 3.8L V6 and 4.6L V8 currently used by Hyundai's large sedan in the U.S. A more powerful 5.0L V8 producing upwards of 420 horsepower will also reportedly be offered sometime after launch.

If the Genesis is aimed at the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, then the Equus has its sites set squarely on vehicles like the 7 Series, S-Class and Lexus LS460. It is still not known whether Hyundai will sell the Equus in the U.S., though with a base price of 130,000,000 South Korean won (about $93,471 USD), it would be the automaker's most ambitious U.S. offering by far. Hyundai is no doubt watching sales of the Genesis very closely to see if the brand can hold its own in the image-obsessed luxury segments, and early signs in terms of sales and critical success are positive. Whether or not that means the U.S. is ready for such an expensive Hyundai remains to be seen.
Taken from this thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/hyundai-again-710845/
Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 PM

holy jeebus. $93,471.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,838 Likes on 13,995 Posts
I like it. But, whoa at the price.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
i dont think it will fly either for most american buyers.

hyundai doesnt have enough presence in the states. they have just introduced the genesis and will have to allow time for the build up of american appeal. in the meantime, hyundai could use the equus to gain foreign fan fair, while advancing their skills in producing a luxury vehicle. when they start to master this, they could turn back to american and european markets, which are more sensitive on build quality. besidies, it will take some time for americans to get adapted to the genesis. i doubt the equus would come now. hyundai seems to have an intelligent, competent sales dept. that would realize that a 45k hyundai is not a wise investment to bring stateside.

The American market IS ready for the Genesis. The sales numbers are on target with the projections, and the cost-sharing Genesis Coupe will be sure to sell like hotcakes, too. The Genesis sedan definitely contributed to the January sales success and the American consumers are keenly tuning into the fact that it has won the NACOTY award. This means the quality-sensitive customers are paying attention, and both the perceived and actual quality of Hyundai cars are rapidly rising.

Did you know that there are two kinds of quality? Actual and perceived. The actual quality of Hyundai cars is on par with the likes of Toyota. It's the perceived quality that Hyundai has to deal with at the moment but again, the NACOTY award is helping raise awareness and helping the American consumers realize that Hyundai CAN and IS building quality cars.

Back to the Equus...

At the current exchange rate, the base level Equus will go on sale in Korea in a few weeks for USD equivalent of $54,000 with the range-topping limousine version going for $89,000+.

Since it is a common practice to see the equivalent U.S. bound cars selling for less, we could expect to see the Equus starting at perhaps $45,000 and topping out at $55,000 for the non-limo version, slotting in just above the Genesis.

Have you ever been in an Equus? For 50 grand? Where do I sign?

This is one of those cars where even I, a born driver and never a wanting passenger, would have to ponder whether I want to drive or be driven today. And I'm talking about the previous generation. This new one is worlds ahead of the old car.

Personally, I believe this will be a great addition to the product line-up in the American market. This definitely won't be a mass production car; it'll be for a niche market in very small volumes.

I've been saying it for some years now... Hyundai has launched its full assault on the U.S. market. Hyundai is turning this obstacle, i.e. economic crisis, into an opportunity to improve its conditions. Keep tuned in.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

^ Yeah... Right. That sounds great, but there is already recent precedent set as to why Hyundai should tread lightly in this into this luxury market. Regardless of how good the product is, buyers of these $60kK+ cars are extremely brand conscious. The VW Phaeton is the poster child of this. And, IMHO, VW enjoys a better brand and quality image when they introduced the Phaeton than Hyundai enjoys now, even with their recent success. Will consumers REALLY by this over an LS, 7-Series, or S-Class; even at a discount in the tens of thousands? We'll see, I guess.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by titan
^ Yeah... Right. That sounds great, but there is already recent precedent set as to why Hyundai should tread lightly in this into this luxury market. Regardless of how good the product is, buyers of these $60kK+ cars are extremely brand conscious. The VW Phaeton is the poster child of this. And, IMHO, VW enjoys a better brand and quality image when they introduced the Phaeton than Hyundai enjoys now, even with their recent success. Will consumers REALLY by this over an LS, 7-Series, or S-Class; even at a discount in the tens of thousands? We'll see, I guess.
Ah, the old VW Phaeton argument. I knew somebody would mention it.

The Phaeton was a failure because it ate into the sales of the sibling, the Audi A8. Plus the design was extremely subdued, almost non-recognizable. It garnered very little attention and recognition from the auto industry and the consumers alike.

VW's reputation supercedes their actual quality, meaning their perceived quality is higher than the actual quality. Recent studies prove this. FYI, the likes of Toyota and Honda showed a very good balance between the two.

What this translates to in the real world is that people will walk into the showroom and sit the Phaeton. Many would have thought it was not quite as good as what they expected, but still a very impressive car. Then the price tags hits them - too much for a VW. Hyundai is the opposite. Perceived quality is lower than actual quality. This means you get them into the showroom, they are impressed and they buy. And buy they did just this past month as you can see from the sales numbers. Good marketing worked, yes, but if you can't back it up with good quality cars, it won't do squat.

When you spend $80,000 on a VW, you don't want it serviced in the same bay as the Bug. You definitely wouldn't want to share the same coffee pot with the hippie-looking guy jamming to his iPod in the waiting area.

For that, people went to Audi.

Hyundai currently does not have that problem. The Genesis is selling well, which means the consumers welcome the car, and are fine with the expectations of after-sale service.

Hyundai has repeatedly in the past mentioned the possibility of launching a new premium division. If/When that day comes, the Equus will be one of the, if not the, flagship models.

THEN, if Hyundai comes out with an Equus-based luxury wearing the non-premium logo to compete with is own premium-brand model, you can argue the VW Phaeton. Until then, it holds no water. It's not a valid comparison.

Again, the Genesis is selling well. In fact, just the other day, I saw a family in a white Genesis V8 and it had a big decal on the back window that said "2009 North American Car of the Year". That certainly can't be a bad sign. I mention that it was a family inside to illustrate this was not a corporate campaign/promotion car.

How often did you see something like this on the previous years' winners? When companies are committing to offer 4-cylinder engines across the line-up, Hyundai drops a V8 into a proper RWD sedan and is selling well. What does that tell you?

Always look where you want to go, not where you are. The Equus won't necessarily steal buyers from the LS460 and 750Li buyers. But the more value-conscious buyers, which is the target demographic based on previous marketing practice, will definitely look into it.

You've gotta keep pushing ahead in this competitive industry. Otherwise you will be left behind, like Mitsubishi and Isuzu who will no longer be operating in the United States in the very near future.

YOU may not think the U.S. market is ready for a growing Hyundai, but the numbers say otherwise.

Last edited by Pure Adrenaline; 02-18-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Dragging knees in

This post is from the other thread in Car Talks, but it was closed and I just had to comment on it.

Originally Posted by dBski11
looking at that crap box i see, an infiniti m45, audi headlights, lexus ls exhaust, looks like a maxima as well, bentley continental rims... why cant they come up with something original?
This is coming from a 20-year-old driving an Acura TSX that is probably one of the most bland cars on the market today, not to mention at the bottom of the Acura totem pole.

And you are calling the Equus a crapbox?

Lane Departure Warning System integrated with Pre-Safe collision detection system, guided parking system, radar-guided cruise control, remote-controlled rear seat massager, etc, etc. What does your TSX have? Power mirrors? Get real, dude.

Just because you're not familiar with the status of the Equus, you don't have to look down on it or bad-mouth it. The Equus has long been the most upscale car sold in the Korean market, albeit with a Korean flair. This is a step in the global direction with a design flair that's suited for various markets worldwide, including the U.S. I see no problem with following the successful recipes of benchmark brands. The first step should always be with caution and with the flow/trend. Then once you have established yourself comfortably in the hierarchy, you start exerting your own agenda/theme/influence/whatever.

You want to talk about bland design and unsuccessful sales, followed by an unconventional and unwelcomed design in an attempt to turn things around... look no further than the badge sitting on your trunk lid.

I drive a TL that is decidedly more upscale than your TSX and even I can recognize that the Equus is no crapbox. This has nothing to do with my employment status. I like Acuras just fine and that is why I drive one and have been for the past 6 years. I love my TL. But there is a need to be objective and this is just my objective comparison.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
They trying to get into every segment? This 45k+ car will be sitting next to the $9k Accent?

But then again i guess people buy a $100k ZR1 and take it to the chevy dealer...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM

no it'll be sitting next to the ~$40k genesis, which will be sitting next to the genesis coupe, which will be next to the azera, which will be next to the sonata, which will be next to the elantra, which will then be next to the $9k accent.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
holy jeebus. $93,471.
you know.. genesis V6 model fully loaded in Korea is over 60,000,000 won, which converts to 60k USD back then.. (now the currency is all wacked, it's cheaper in USD)

that $93k will probably convert to $70k which is still a lot cheaper than LS, S, and 7 they are benchmarking

by the way, i'm going back to states today.. so many genesis and genesis coupe in seoul

Last edited by yohan81718; 02-18-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
i like this
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
how handsome I am

uh oh... this is gonna get good
Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 PM
hail to the victors

Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
hail to the victors

Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
hail to the victors

Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
After looking at those LED stripes in the rearlight housing, I have to say that they got it straight off from the new Maxima.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,148 Likes on 820 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
No surprise, very unoriginal.
Typical for the Hyundai/Kia brand : copycat vehicles.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
what a bulky shit
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by JS + TL
After looking at those LED stripes in the rearlight housing, I have to say that they got it straight off from the new Maxima.
Look at the headlights too, it's got that BMW 5-Series strip at the top.
Can't go wrong when you pick the best parts of every other car and put together a design.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Typical for the Hyundai/Kia brand : copycat vehicles.
LOL....It's was ok for the Japanese to copy the Germans. But it's not ok for the Korean to copy the Japanese? Double standard FTL .
From what I am seeing, I am very impressed by Hyundai. Going to RWD while the Japanese stuck to FWD is a bold move. So what you will, the Korean's are coming up in force.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The interior looks really good, but those wheels in the last pic are ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Equus News