Honda: S2000 News

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
I don't care if they use the metric system or not, using millimeters when you get as big as a car is retarded.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,990 Posts
gawddamit they better not make the next gen S2000 w/ a clutchless transmission. and if that type R version or wahtever is true then that will be hte car im going to get
Old 01-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
gawddamit they better not make the next gen S2000 w/ a clutchless transmission. and if that type R version or wahtever is true then that will be hte car im going to get
Are you kidding? "clutchless 6spd manual shift transmission" I'm assuming they're just skipping the clutch pedal (think BMW SMG). That's freaking awesome.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm saddened by news of the replacement.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,990 Posts
Originally Posted by aesir11
Are you kidding? "clutchless 6spd manual shift transmission" I'm assuming they're just skipping the clutch pedal (think BMW SMG). That's freaking awesome.
im sure smg is great, but not for me
Old 01-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
clutchless? crap... i want the conventional 6mt.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
6MT > *

Honda, going in the wrong direction. First, they let the NSX waste away, then HSC gets axed and now they're neutering the S2K.

The end is near

Dear Honda,

Please forget about stinkin' turbo's, forget about SH-AWD, don't fall in love w/ SMG.

Just do what you do best! Make great NA, smooth, high-revving engines. Make great, slick shifting, short throw manuals. Make great handling, double wishbone suspensions. Simplicity stupid.

We don't need no stinkin overwrought technology - we know how to change lanes properly! We don't need no stinkin lane departure warnings, no lasar guided cruise control, no self-parking behemoths, no bloated, fat turbo-charged tarded audi-look alikes. Why, why......eyaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aesir11
Well, unless they've come out with a new version of SMG lately, it's not all that popular. So far, I haven't heard many enthusiasts getting excited about it...but I hear a lot of people complain about it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
To punish and enslave

Must.......use......foot......clutch!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Well, unless they've come out with a new version of SMG lately, it's not all that popular. So far, I haven't heard many enthusiasts getting excited about it...but I hear a lot of people complain about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_I-SHIFT

Computer controlled manual (i.e. no torque converter) on the Euro Civic. Mixed reviews, but it indicates that Honda definitely has done some R&D in the area.

I'm not a fan of the idea for performance cars though.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
knowing honda, it'll end up being a "sequential sportshift" like on Acura models. But of course, they'll tell the ignorant dealers to sell it as "Honda's version of SMG".
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
For Honda to drop the sharp, edgy, and capable S2000 for this ridiculous replacement is foolish. They should find a way to keep the S2000 as a Honda, all the edge and rawness intact, and then use the platform to add a V6 powered RWD 2+2 coupe to the Acura line-up. Why mess with what is easily one of the best cars they ever created?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I strongly doubt that Honda will not make the next S2K available with a 6sp manual considering that the current S2k has what is arguably the world's best manual gearbox ever put in a production car.

I can see them making an SMG style gearbox an option, but I don't see the 6spd going away.

And like I've said before - the S series of roadster dates back to the 50's from the S500. Honda is not just going to throw away all that heritage that goes with a S roadster and make it in to a 2+2 coupe.

They would be wise to make the next gen S2000 platform serve double duty by stretching it, retaining the high center backbone, and using that as a basis for a sport/luxury 2+2 Acura coupe to compete with the new G coupe. That would give it a one up over competitors in that its coupe would use a unique platform unlike Acura's competitors e.g. BMW and Infiniti who use their sedans as a basis for their coupes. Retaining the high center backbone would give the car an advantage in structural rigidity and amortizing the cost of the platform over two cars would allow Honda to sink more money into chassis development - possibly use some forged aluminum bits in the suspension.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shrykhar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_I-SHIFT

Computer controlled manual (i.e. no torque converter) on the Euro Civic. Mixed reviews, but it indicates that Honda definitely has done some R&D in the area.

I'm not a fan of the idea for performance cars though.
Is "SMG" BMW's name for their Sequential Manual Gearbox? Or are people using it like Kleenex (a brand name used to describe all facial tissue)? Talking specifically about BMW's SMG system (which are they still on version II or are they up to III now?) has not gotten the best reviews or press.

Driving a manual is like dancing. A good dancer has artful footwork, a good driver has the same. DOWN WITH CLUTCHLESS MANUALS!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vishnus11
...Infiniti who use their sedans as a basis for their coupes. Retaining the high center backbone would give the car an advantage in structural rigidity and amortizing the cost of the platform over two cars would allow Honda to sink more money into chassis development - possibly use some forged aluminum bits in the suspension.
I thought the G35 was based on the 350Z. In which case it'd be more like Honda building a sedan off the S2000 and not the other way around. Or am I wrong?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I thought the G35 was based on the 350Z. In which case it'd be more like Honda building a sedan off the S2000 and not the other way around. Or am I wrong?
it doesn't make a difference. more correct to say they are just based off the same platform rather than which is "based" on which.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
it doesn't make a difference. more correct to say they are just based off the same platform rather than which is "based" on which.
I think it does make a difference when it comes to Vishnus's argument. Infiniti didn't make a coupe from a sedan platform, they made a coupe and a sedan from a platform designed to do both. So I don't think it's an appropriate analogy. It's funny too that he sites two successful luxury coupes and says "don't be like these guys". I say, if Honda/Acura can make a coupe that competes in BMW/Infiniti segment, I'd buy one!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
6MT > *

Honda, going in the wrong direction. First, they let the NSX waste away, then HSC gets axed and now they're neutering the S2K.

The end is near

Dear Honda,

Please forget about stinkin' turbo's, forget about SH-AWD, don't fall in love w/ SMG.

Just do what you do best! Make great NA, smooth, high-revving engines. Make great, slick shifting, short throw manuals. Make great handling, double wishbone suspensions. Simplicity stupid.

We don't need no stinkin overwrought technology - we know how to change lanes properly! We don't need no stinkin lane departure warnings, no lasar guided cruise control, no self-parking behemoths, no bloated, fat turbo-charged tarded audi-look alikes. Why, why......eyaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Comrad.
Clutch & RWD FTW
Old 01-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Fibonacci, you'll just have to wait till Datsun starts making lightweight rwd cars again
Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,916 Likes on 14,037 Posts
Post Type R version announced...

From Channel4.com:

Honda is to give its S2000 roadster a last hurrah by offering a stripped-out, super-quick Type-R version.

The S2000 Type-R is expected to appear later this year as a run-out limited edition model. Its weight will be reduced by up to 100kg to just 1,150kg, thanks to the removal of much sound deadening, the spare tyre and superfluous trim, as well as the use of some lighter-weight engine components and the fitment of a fixed tin-top roof. The standard air conditioning, stereo and airbags will all be deleted, though buyers will have the option to add them in at extra cost. These modifications will improve the power-to-weight ratio and thus make the S2000 even quicker. There won't be modifications to the engine itself, though the car will receive upgraded suspension, brakes and tyres.

The all-new S2000 is thought to be scheduled for 2008. It's said to remain true to the format of front-engine and rear-wheel drive, but it may shift in character. Sources are divided as to whether it will become less hardcore and more of a luxury roadster, rivalling the likes of the Mercedes-Benz SLK or BMW Z4, or whether it will be marketed as a lower-cost fun sportster in the mould of the Mazda MX-5. A new version of the 2.0-litre engine giving around 200bhp, a weight of 1,250kg and an electric folding hard-top has also been suggested.
Link: http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/ne..._15743#article
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumchah
From Channel4.com:
The S2000 Type-R is expected to appear later this year as a run-out limited edition model. Its weight will be reduced by up to 100kg to just 1,150kg, thanks to the removal of much sound deadening

Link: http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/ne..._15743#article
does this mean that instead of your ears ringing for a minute after spirited driving, you'll experience permanent hearing damage?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think it does make a difference when it comes to Vishnus's argument. Infiniti didn't make a coupe from a sedan platform, they made a coupe and a sedan from a platform designed to do both. So I don't think it's an appropriate analogy. It's funny too that he sites two successful luxury coupes and says "don't be like these guys". I say, if Honda/Acura can make a coupe that competes in BMW/Infiniti segment, I'd buy one!
I can't help it if you can't read and fully comprehend what I wrote.

I said that giving a hypothetical Acura coupe a more stiffer chassis that differs from that of the sedan, would give Acura a one up on competitors. Most buyers go for a coupe over a sedan for two main reasons: looks, and a more sporting personality to the vehicle. Looks is easily doable. However, differentiating the performance of the sedan and coupe versions of a car based on the same platform is somewhat harder. Infiniti originally had the coupe rated at 280hp, and the sedan at 260hp, and limited the 6spd to the coupe. However, eventually the sedan got the more powerful engine and the 6spd, making it harder to discern the dynamic differences between the two vehicles.

If Acura gave a hypothetical coupe a chassis shared with an S2k, rather than one shared with a sedan, it would give them a competitive edge in that they could better impart sporting dynamics to their coupe - possibly something along the lines of an RX-8, with a backbone chassis for structural rigidity and sporting qualities.

I never said that the G35 and 3 series were in any way inferior products, and that platform sharing was bad. I was suggesting a way in which Acura could make a worthwhile comeback into this segment that already has some established heavyweights.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

does this mean that instead of your ears ringing for a minute after spirited driving, you'll experience permanent hearing damage?
Some might say the same about an ITR or a Z06 both of which benefit from extensive sound deadening. Just like those stellar vehicles, this rumored S2000 Type-R is designed to be a hard-core limited production vehicle so removing much of the sound deadening makes perfect sense.

Just for the record, 99% of the people who own S2000s actually....gasp...LIKE the noise that the F20C/F22C makes when racing to its redline. Each to his own.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I like the idea of it having a hardtop and being much lighter (a staple of Honda's Type-R models) with chassis and suspension upgrades. But there won't be any modifications to the engine at all? The NSX was fine without engine mods but hey it wouldn't hurt would it?

I can't wait... Championship white, lightened rims, the works.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I like the idea of it having a hardtop and being much lighter (a staple of Honda's Type-R models) with chassis and suspension upgrades. But there won't be any modifications to the engine at all? The NSX was fine without engine mods but hey it wouldn't hurt would it?

I can't wait... Championship white, lightened rims, the works.
I'm just skeptical about whether something like this would make it to the US. The airbag delete option and such might not fly here.

Either way, I'd be interested in the new suspension bits and wheels. Hoping that they'll have some cast or maybe even forged aluminum suspension bits to replaced the stock cast iron control arms, and some forged aluminum wheels.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

I can't help it if you can't read and fully comprehend what I wrote.

I said that giving a hypothetical Acura coupe a more stiffer chassis that differs from that of the sedan, would give Acura a one up on competitors. Most buyers go for a coupe over a sedan for two main reasons: looks, and a more sporting personality to the vehicle. Looks is easily doable. However, differentiating the performance of the sedan and coupe versions of a car based on the same platform is somewhat harder. Infiniti originally had the coupe rated at 280hp, and the sedan at 260hp, and limited the 6spd to the coupe. However, eventually the sedan got the more powerful engine and the 6spd, making it harder to discern the dynamic differences between the two vehicles.

If Acura gave a hypothetical coupe a chassis shared with an S2k, rather than one shared with a sedan, it would give them a competitive edge in that they could better impart sporting dynamics to their coupe - possibly something along the lines of an RX-8, with a backbone chassis for structural rigidity and sporting qualities.

I never said that the G35 and 3 series were in any way inferior products, and that platform sharing was bad. I was suggesting a way in which Acura could make a worthwhile comeback into this segment that already has some established heavyweights.
Oh, I understand what you said. I just don't agree with you. I think we'll see Honda/Acura going with a similar model as Inifiniti and BMW. I think we'll see a new TL with SH-AWD in a couple years and a coupe based on that platform.

And I didn't suggest that you think those other cars are inferior. You just sited two Sedan/Coupe platforms and suggested that Honda avoids that business model by building an Acura coupe off the S2000 instead of a sedan. However, what I'm saying is; why use old technology (albeit good technology) with sagging sales to create a luxury coupe, when you can create a new sedan platform (next gen TL) with a coupe in mind. This has been a successful business model for other car companies. Why mess with a good thing just because a few enthusiasts want something "hard core"? Acura wants to compete with BMW, MB, Lexus and Infiniti...not Mazda.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, I understand what you said. I just don't agree with you. I think we'll see Honda/Acura going with a similar model as Inifiniti and BMW. I think we'll see a new TL with SH-AWD in a couple years and a coupe based on that platform.

And I didn't suggest that you think those other cars are inferior. You just sited two Sedan/Coupe platforms and suggested that Honda avoids that business model by building an Acura coupe off the S2000 instead of a sedan. However, what I'm saying is; why use old technology (albeit good technology) with sagging sales to create a luxury coupe, when you can create a new sedan platform (next gen TL) with a coupe in mind. This has been a successful business model for other car companies. Why mess with a good thing just because a few enthusiasts want something "hard core"? Acura wants to compete with BMW, MB, Lexus and Infiniti...not Mazda.
Again, you misread what I wrote. I said NEXT GEN S2000 platform. I'm not saying that my proposal is better than basing a coupe off the next gen TL - I am saying that its a way to make a Acura coupe unique from its sedan counterpart, so that there is more than styling that differentiates the two. A good chassis like the S2000, with a backbone can be extremely torsionally stiff whilst still being lightweight.

And believe it or not, I think there is a nice sized niche market out there for an RX-8 style coupe. The RX-8 would have been a knockout had it not been for that rotary engine with its piss poor fuel economy, and emissions holding it back. An Acura coupe in the same vein of the RX-8 in that it has 2 additional suicide doors and a B-pillarless design would make it a worthy competitor agaisnt established players in the segment. Throw in a J32 or better yet, a K23 turbo putting out 280+, the usual Acura interior treatment and TL-esque exterior styling and your in business.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 AM
101 years of heartache...

NOOOOO WAAAYYYY!!!!! THANK GOD HONDA!!!! A frige nType-rR S20000!!!

man, my favourite car and type-r is so fuckign sexy!! i just peered here to check PMs nd updtated thhreads after a long nigt and i ge this!!!!! WOOT WOOT

Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Honda is making a Lotus? Sweet.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:40 AM
101 years of heartache...

Originally Posted by Minch00
So Honda is making a Lotus? Sweet.

exactly!!! except with morepower!!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

i think the question is whether they will bring it to this market, considering the S2000 is a global seller for them.

1) there has never been a Honda "type-R" in this country, save for the ones with badges that people stuck on their Hondas. The "type" designation was only ever used on Acura models in this country.

2) they've always avoided bringing the "sportiest" variants to this country...Accord type-R, civic type-R. Why? maybe it does have something to do with safety and lack of airbags or something. Lotus can get away with it because of their sales volume, but I think it was for a limited time.

3) They made the S2000 slightly more civil during the refresh...why woudl they now make it much more hard-core?

I don't doubt they will make an s2000 type-r. I just question whether it will come to the U.S. market.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

I don't doubt they will make an s2000 type-r. I just question whether it will come to the U.S. market.
I think that as a last hurrah, it makes sense for them to throw an all out performance vehicle into the product mix. While I agree that Honda has held off bringing the most performance oriented cars in the past, we have consistently been getting better and sportier models into the Honda line-up, some even bettering their overseas peers (e.g. Civic Si).

With such a limited production model, I think they will make a case for selling at least a handful of the Type-R versions in the US.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
How reliable is the channel4.com link? It sounds like a rumor at this point, probably one that originated from the Japanese magazine shown on vtec.net and has just been spreading.

Until its on hondanews.com or officially unveiled at an autoshow I'd take the information with a grain of salt. That said, an S2000 Type-R model would be sweet, especially if they decided to bring it to the US.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Again, you misread what I wrote. I said NEXT GEN S2000 platform. I'm not saying that my proposal is better than basing a coupe off the next gen TL - I am saying that its a way to make a Acura coupe unique from its sedan counterpart, so that there is more than styling that differentiates the two. A good chassis like the S2000, with a backbone can be extremely torsionally stiff whilst still being lightweight.

And believe it or not, I think there is a nice sized niche market out there for an RX-8 style coupe. The RX-8 would have been a knockout had it not been for that rotary engine with its piss poor fuel economy, and emissions holding it back. An Acura coupe in the same vein of the RX-8 in that it has 2 additional suicide doors and a B-pillarless design would make it a worthy competitor agaisnt established players in the segment. Throw in a J32 or better yet, a K23 turbo putting out 280+, the usual Acura interior treatment and TL-esque exterior styling and your in business.
What part of your "an S2000" statement explicitly says "NEXT GEN S2000"?

But that's regardless of the conversation. I don't think that niche is big enough...it works for a quirky sports car from a smaller brand like Mazda...but not for a company like Honda. In fact, they tried it with the first S2000 and now they're saying it was a disappointment. I think they're going to go away from this dedicated sportscar niche and align themselves with the more successful competition. I think there's a good chance (based on some of the news I've seen on these forums) the next S2000 might be poised to compete with the MX-5 and therefore might be based on a RWD modified Civic platform or similar. The next Acura coupe will be based on the next TSX or TL platform. This will eliminate the expensive and superfluous S2000 platform that wasn't very successful to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I love the S2000. It's one of my favorite cars ever and am considering getting one. But when it comes to Honda and business and I'm just being realistic.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
honda is killing me. it's hard enough for me to stop thinking about s2000's, now honda throws in a type-r with hardtop (which is what i prefer over the soft-top, hope it's the mugen top).

my dream car becomes even more desirable for me.

but ya, as others have mentioned, let's see if they bring it to NA.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think that as a last hurrah, it makes sense for them to throw an all out performance vehicle into the product mix. While I agree that Honda has held off bringing the most performance oriented cars in the past, we have consistently been getting better and sportier models into the Honda line-up, some even bettering their overseas peers (e.g. Civic Si).
but don't they have a more hardcore version Civic type-r that's not sold in the states?

With such a limited production model, I think they will make a case for selling at least a handful of the Type-R versions in the US.
not sure what the regulations are and whether it is the entire model line that's limited or whether it's specific trims. Either way, I don't see why they couldn't make a type-R with removal of all the unnecessary stuff except for the airbags.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

but don't they have a more hardcore version Civic type-r that's not sold in the states?
It wasn't until very recently that the Type-R Civic was made available and even that isn't has hard core as some of the past versions. The Civic Si was, for a while, the hottest model Civic you could get, and to some, still is due to the suspension setup being better than the Type-R's.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

In fact, they tried it with the first S2000 and now they're saying it was a disappointment. I think they're going to go away from this dedicated sportscar niche and align themselves with the more successful competition. I think there's a good chance (based on some of the news I've seen on these forums) the next S2000 might be poised to compete with the MX-5 and therefore might be based on a RWD modified Civic platform or similar. The next Acura coupe will be based on the next TSX or TL platform. This will eliminate the expensive and superfluous S2000 platform that wasn't very successful to begin with.
I don't know where your getting the idea that the S2000 wasn't successful for Honda. It wasn't mean't to a sales success - it was meant to be a showcase of Honda's engineering prowess and talent, and was built to commemorate their 50th anniversary. For the first two years the car was on sale, you'd have struggled to find one for MSRP, since people were willing to pay the premium to get these vehicles. Obviously now things have changed, but I highly doubt that Honda intended a very hardcore, narrow minded, focused, cramped sports car to be a sales success.

And a FWD civic platform can't be made into a RWD platform.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't know where your getting the idea that the S2000 wasn't successful for Honda. It wasn't mean't to a sales success - it was meant to be a showcase of Honda's engineering prowess and talent, and was built to commemorate their 50th anniversary. For the first two years the car was on sale, you'd have struggled to find one for MSRP, since people were willing to pay the premium to get these vehicles. Obviously now things have changed, but I highly doubt that Honda intended a very hardcore, narrow minded, focused, cramped sports car to be a sales success.

And a FWD civic platform can't be made into a RWD platform.
The S2000 wasn't meant to be a success as far as profits and sales go ... its meant to be a car that magazines talk about, that people talk about, and that people come in to look at and instead "settle" on an Accord. I think in 1999 it did a good job at that, and in 2007 it still does a pretty good job of getting people talking about a car thats "just a Honda" ... you still see Hondas on magazine covers (not nearly as often, but you still see it). Its a halo car, and it serves a purpose ... Not to mention its a really fun car to drive
Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
type r s2000 doesn't sound right...

Quick Reply: Honda: S2000 News