Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
i have seen 2 or 3 of the 2012 Civics... they make 2006-2011 Civics coupe or sedan look like Miss Universe...

i think this gen civics are the worst in Civic history in terms of looks.. Especially the LX model.. OMG...

...and remember that this Civic was delayed by a year to improve the looks.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Honda can work around that... otherwise APR wouldn't be so popular with the Veedub crowd. Same with Cobb and the MS3. Not sure about the GTI but IIRC the MS3 ECU dials back the power progressively in the first three gears to mitigate torque steer. Haven't driven one so I can't say.

Ford also has their Revo knuckle in the Focus RS

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...r-the-focus-rs

The problem with AWD is the additional weight and cost. For a sporty compact car, AWD almost always needs to be coupled with F/I if it's a 4-cyl. I would like to see Honda take on Subaru (not so much Mitsubishi anymore considering their plans) in the AWD sport compact segment though
Yea, Honda can certainly reduce power in the first few gears. The TL Type S has that feature, and it already uses double wishbone front suspension which is good for taming torque steer. Anyways, if you cut power for the first few gears,wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having more power? By the time you get through the "power cut phase", most likely you are going beyond the speed limit.

On the other hand, with AWD, you don't have to worry about torque steer and/or putting down the power to the ground. For the Civic Si, yea, it could use another 30hp/tq, but more than that would make the car a bit unbalance IMO. And I'd prefer having AWD (or RWD..but RWD Civic??) when there's over 250hp/tq. I agree, I'd like to see Honda making a awd sport compact too.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Recall....now that was fast!!!

When new models are launched there are often bugs to be worked out – it appears that even the historically very reliable Honda Civic is no exception.

Honda has announced that it will be recalling just 1,156 cars, all 2012 models, which contain a faulty fuel line that can potentially leak fuel. The Japanese automaker says that during assembly a fuel line O-ring may have been displaced, leading to a potential leak.

Because Honda was so quick to catch the defect, it says most of the vehicles have not yet been sold. Honda will officially begin the recall on May 27 for consumers who have already purchased their vehicles.

Honda did not specify why of its five models are included in the recall.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/recalled...fuel-line.html
Old 05-20-2011, 11:19 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
meh
Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
meh... i just read that the New SI has the "regular" cloth now instead of alcantara suede seats/steering wheel/door panels?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM
I drive a Subata.

really??? that's really meh..
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

"This is Optima Thread, we can argue over in the Civic Thread. Let's not do the Magazine racing here.. bottom line. Old Engine, barely any performance gain if any. and Being Si, i dont believe less "noise" is a good thing considering it lost a lot of revs. and who cares about those LX and EX... they never had any performance anyways..they are just getting uglier and uglier

Let's continue in the other thread."

Well you see, my post was about the general Civic line up because you said,

"Let's just hope their next gen accord will be better.. from what Honda did to their Civic, i wouldn't count on it.."

I don't think there's an Accord Si, so I was assuming you were talking about the general Civic line up (the LX/EX), not the Civic Si. We already know the new Civic Si is nothing spectacular. I was even saying that I would get the 8th gen Si instead of the 9th gen because the 8th is more unique with its high revving K20. And I think we should stick with objective measures...as I find the new Civic better looking than before.

I don't really care if the engine is still the R18, as long as the car is faster than before while getting better mpg.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ Let me give you an advise. You know we are on an online forum, correct? Everyone has different opinions on everything. You can say whatever about anything BUT do not try to convince others opinions. It just won't work. You are just dragging the same crap over and over and over and over again.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
^ Let me give you an advise. You know we are on an online forum, correct? Everyone has different opinions on everything. You can say whatever about anything BUT do not try to convince others opinions. It just won't work. You are just dragging the same crap over and over and over and over again.
I think I love you
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The cold, hard fact is that I've yet to hear anybody on AZ genuinely praise the new Si for its improvements. Instead, I see comments like "it barely looks any different", "rear looks like a Camry", "looks so much like the previous gen", "cheaptastic interior", "K24 lolwut?" etc.

I've yet to see anyone say "wow, looks great" (maybe, but I missed it and I certainly don't think so) or "can't wait to test drive/buy one" or "better than the previous gen"

The observation that it rides better and is faster around a track than the previous gen or lost a few dozen pounds may be somewhat impressive especially in the scope of the current auto industry's trends but really..... it doesn't seem like anyone cares.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

To me, it's like this.

It has not been improved enough for me to even get excited to test drive it.

Does this make any sense?

Trust me, I love the Civic Si, I almost bought one too when I was shopping for my MS3. In fact, I almost signed the contract before I realized the fags Honda dealership in Sherman Oaks was trying to rape me bad on the deal. I was THAT close to get one. It was like the 1st on my shopping list.

BUT, on the next day, I test drovethe Si, MS3, GTI, and MiniS back to back on the same day. That's when I realized the Si is clearly behind its competitor by far margin.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

It's essentially going to be the same car for a decade or more - spanning 2 generations.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Thanks for your advice. I certainly know that we are on an online forum. And of course, I respect opinions from other people. That's why in most, if not all of my posts, I try to stay away from talking about subjective areas like styling, interior design, how the car feels, etc (however, I did talk about the interior design of the Focus being like a Nokia phone).

If you haven't noticed, most (not all of course) of the times, I only talk about things like 0-60mph, mpg, chassis rigidity, etc. Often, I'd back my claims with actual numbers. So, when people come and say, "hey, the Civic is getting more ugly, and its interior design is too bland, and it's using old technologies," I simply tell them, "well, the Civic is capable of this and that in terms of performance, which is better/the same as so and so." I don't think that is trying to change the opinions of others right? I'm just pointing out some facts. I mean, I'm not saying, "hey are you blind or something? That's so much better looking than this and that." The fact is, everyone has different taste.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

But the bang for the buck factor is really bad on the Si in terms of performance numbers though. Let's not talk about aftermarket and the car's potential.

The competitors give you more numbers for the same money, no?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I drive a Subata.

Number to number, give us any performance measure that the Si is better than its competitors.

MS3 WRX MiniS GTi
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I hate this damn commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmnE-qf5P-4
Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Number to number, give us any performance measure that the Si is better than its competitors.

MS3 WRX MiniS GTi
Price and fuel economy? Lowest curb weight?

I'm just throwing it out there, since I don't really know. Surprisingly though, even though my brother drives it like a maniac, he gets 34 mpg average in their JCW R53 (supercharged MINI Cooper S). I'm sure his wife gets even better mpg since she drives it much more calmly. That's with a Roots-style blower too, I bet you can get similar or better fuel economy with the newer turbocharged MINIs.

The only problem.... the car has tons of problems! Not sure if it's a lemon but

What kind of MPG numbers are GTIs getting after APR reflashes? What about MS3s? I know STIs get kinda lousy mpg.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I drive a Subata.

Price is pretty similar. Within 1-2k Of each other.

I'm getting about 24 mpg after tuning. But I can really f it up if I romp on it all the time. And if I'm really being careful about gas, I can get much better numbers. And I have more than tq under 3k to comfortably drive around.

And when I say performance measures.. its more like accelaration, handling type of numbers.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I hate this damn commercial.
i think it's funny in a weird way. they love trolls btw, remember the Pilot commercial with the troll?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Either way, the addition of a VTEC power meter (available in two different I.P. locations) seems like a "jump-the-shark" moment to us — as if to say, "Hey guys, you might not be able to feel the cam come on, but we can show you when it does with this neat-o bar graph."
VTEC power meter? wtf...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by phile
i think it's funny in a weird way. they love trolls btw, remember the Pilot commercial with the troll?
Don't get me wrong the other's aren't so bad.

This one just reminds me of the mother hen fat chick you meet at the club who cockblocks on her friends and will stop at nothing to let you take one of her friends home.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Just saw the troll one again (had to refresh my memory). Still didn't annoy like this fat broad.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

But the bang for the buck factor is really bad on the Si in terms of performance numbers though. Let's not talk about aftermarket and the car's potential.

The competitors give you more numbers for the same money, no?

MS3 WRX MiniS GTi
The 9th gen Si is ever so slightly better than the 8th gen Si in terms of performance, but I said this before,

"We already know the new Civic Si is nothing spectacular. I was even saying that I would get the 8th gen Si instead of the 9th gen because the 8th is more unique with its high revving K20."

Heck, I would even add that the K20 is probably easier/cheaper to modify than the 9th gen k24. For the 8g, I can get a race header, flashpro with custom tune, drop-in air filter, and aftermarket cams/valvetrain. $2500 for 50-60hp. Not the best bang for the buck of course, but for me personally, I'm cool with 240whp/250whp, 8600rpm, and instant throttle response!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Here's the latest MotorTrend comparison test of 8 compact cars:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Unsurprisingly, Elantra got 1st place. However, the Civic got 2nd place. Performance wise, the Civic is right around average. That's including 0-60mph, 1/4 mile, braking (60mph-0), skidpad, and figure 8. And that's with the mediocre Bridgstone Turanza tires. However, the Civic gets the best real world mpg (as predicted) compared to other gasoline-powered cars. The Jetta TDI is better, but then it's a diesel (diesel energy density is higher). You can read the entire comparison test and verify the numbers here:

*Note where the Corolla is. Seems like there's still quite a bit of distance between the Corolla and the Civic.

Also, the 8th gen Civic in a motortrend comparo also got 2nd place many years ago. Considering that the competition has gotten so much better, I thought the Civic is doing fine as it can still hold its place.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Problem really isn't with the regular Civic, (outside of that dreadful interior). I think we all agreed its just fine. (Although imagine how much better FE would have been with a 6sp) Any complaints we do see mostly involve styling which is subjective. Problem and the complaints we're seeing all involve the Si.

Saw a refreshed I guess its 11' Corolla this morning. As hard as we are around here on the new Civic, that Corolla is an absolute joke in the styling department.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Unsurprisingly, Elantra got 1st place. However, the Civic got 2nd place. Performance wise, the Civic is right around average. That's including 0-60mph, 1/4 mile, braking (60mph-0), skidpad, and figure 8. And that's with the mediocre Bridgstone Turanza tires. However, the Civic gets the best real world mpg (as predicted) compared to other gasoline-powered cars. The Jetta TDI is better, but then it's a diesel (diesel energy density is higher). You can read the entire comparison test and verify the numbers here:

*Note where the Corolla is. Seems like there's still quite a bit of distance between the Corolla and the Civic.

Also, the 8th gen Civic in a motortrend comparo also got 2nd place many years ago. Considering that the competition has gotten so much better, I thought the Civic is doing fine as it can still hold its place.
There is nothing wrong with 12' Civic LX and EX, other than how ugly they are. The price/performance/fuel economy/space/everything is pretty much the same among all Econ boxes. It's not surprising that Hyundai win, that thing looks 10x better than 12' civic. I know look is subjective but god damn, you are gonna tell me the new civic actually looks good?

However, 12' Si is really just.. Meh....There is really nothing "Si" about it anymore...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-24-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:56 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Subjective, but in that group of 8 tested, everything but the Corolla looks better than the Civic. Some by a considerable margin.

But, the coupe looks pretty good IMO.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, looks is subjective, and I'm not saying the 12' Civic is pretty either. When the 8th gen came out, I thought it was ugly too (too futuristic back then). It slowly grew on me and the styling doesn't bother me anymore (though I still think the 8th gen coupe is ugly, hate the back). The 9th gen is so similar to the 8th gen, so it doesn't bother me either. In fact, its slightly more aggressive lines make the 9th gen more attractive than the 8th gen to me (more attractive doesn't mean it's beautiful though).

I don't know....none of these cars looks good to me. If I really have to pick, may be the Focus?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

lost to Elantra in Edmunds comparo too.

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/el...ison-test.html
Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Look at 0-100mph numbers. Civic is 1.7 second faster than Elantra. 45-65mph passing. Civic is half second faster. In Fuel economy Civic beats Elantra.
Honda was telling the truth that there vehicle is more aerodynamic.

Even in Inside line Civic is faster than Elantra. Inside didnot publish real world fuel economy just not to embrass Elantra despite having 6speed Auto.

Civic is better vehicle but it lacks newer cabin tech of Elantra like Rear camera, smart access etc.

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/el...ison-test.html
An Ear for Details
If you're an engine connoisseur, you might complain that Hyundai's 1.8-liter feels strained as it nears redline and has a coarse, unmemorable soundtrack. In that case, you can hang with the 2012 Honda Civic EX-L Navi. Predictably for a Honda engine, the Civic's 140-hp, single-cam 1.8-liter four-cylinder is creamy smooth in its delivery and sacrifices low-end grunt in favor of high-rpm power.

That kind of personality usually goes better with a manual gearbox, but it works well enough with the Civic's carryover five-speed automatic

I'm All About Comfort
The downside to the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze's sportier setup is an occasionally harsh ride on crumbling freeways. If ride quality is the priority, the 2012 Honda Civic EX-L Navi is our top pick in this group.
That might surprise you since Hondas are not known for cushiness. However, the Civic EX-L isolates you from nasty patches of pavement, yet always feels buttoned-down and engaging.

Well tuned electric-assist power steering contributes to that sense of engagement. All three sedans use EPS, but only the most sensitive hands will pick up on the Civic's.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 PM
I drive a Subata.

^

Do you work for Honda? Because if you are, you are doing it wrong.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

Man.. I still can't stop laughing at this guy talking about 0-100mph on these econoboxes..

Congrats to you, the Civic EX beat out the Elantra on 0-100mph drag race.

Do you really not have anything else to say?

Just admit it, the revamped Civic is just good but not great. The competition has caught up.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Safety Car

Man.. I still can't stop laughing at this guy talking about 0-100mph on these econoboxes..

Congrats to you, the Civic EX beat out the Elantra on 0-100mph drag race.

Do you really not have anything else to say?

Just admit it, the revamped Civic is just good but not great. The competition has caught up.
There is 4 mpg difference in fuel economy based on MT test. It is not a small difference.
Civic also beat out Elantra in ride, refinement, rear space. Even in Navigation Civic offer free FM traffic.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I drive a Subata.

Okay then why did it get beat out to Elantra? You should write a letter to all those magazines. Maybe, your post can be published on those reader's letter section.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Okay then why did it get beat out to Elantra? You should write a letter to all those magazines. Maybe, your post can be published on those reader's letter section.
Because Elantra offer features that you can buy at BestBuy store. but you cannot buy refinement, comfort, fuel economy, rear space, performance without effecting reliability.
Civic has much simplified MMI and more ergonomic. Look at front vents in Hyundai.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I drive a Subata.

^ You win. I'm speechless.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SSFTSX

Even in Inside line Civic is faster than Elantra. Inside didnot publish real world fuel economy just not to embrass Elantra despite having 6speed Auto.
They probably had a typo under Data and Charts?

Where it says "EPA Fuel Economy Combined, mpg," I think they meant Observed Fuel Economy Combined. I mean...how can the 24mpg city/36mpg hwy = 25 combined for the Cruze? Or 29city/40hwy = 28mpg combined for the Elantra...or 28city/39hwy = 30mpg combined for the Civic?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Civic wins....you wanna know why?

....just look at front vents in Hyundai.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I drive a Subata.

Seriously that vents look like shit

Civic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Elantra

All good now?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

why is he not on your ignore lists?! you don't even have to quote him and based on the responses I can tell what kind of BS he's writing

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News