Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,956 Posts
Motor Trend!

http://wot.motortrend.com/nhtsa-open...ns-104943.html

NY Times
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...anual-gearbox/

The more it's out there the better for the enthusiast community.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
The info is out there, that's for damn sure. Even my local news station (CP24 for those in the area) ran a blurb about it on their news ticker... "26,000 Mustangs under investigation for transmission issues"
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I can understand Ford's reluctance to have an official statement about the issue ... For the first couple of months. They'd need to diagnose the problem, talk to the supplier about "make good" money, etc. If they just said, "Our 6-speeds are trashed" every ambulance chaser would have tried to be the first to file a class action suit.

Unfortunately, Ford dicked around too long and now they're where they wanted to avoid being in the first place.

Ford is doing a lot of things right but clearly they have a lot of work left to do to get the old mentality purged from that company.

They should have been more aggressive. Come out in front of the problem and be communicative with their customer base via the dealerships.

If you owned a 6MT Mustang and Ford said, "We're going to make it right but we need to figure out how so please be patient" wouldn't you be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt?

I think some of the outrage is justifiable concern that they're going to get screwed. That's what Ford needed to take off the table from the point at which they realized there was a real problem with the transmissions.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by charliemike
I can understand Ford's reluctance to have an official statement about the issue ... For the first couple of months. They'd need to diagnose the problem, talk to the supplier about "make good" money, etc. If they just said, "Our 6-speeds are trashed" every ambulance chaser would have tried to be the first to file a class action suit.

Unfortunately, Ford dicked around too long and now they're where they wanted to avoid being in the first place.

Ford is doing a lot of things right but clearly they have a lot of work left to do to get the old mentality purged from that company.

They should have been more aggressive. Come out in front of the problem and be communicative with their customer base via the dealerships.

If you owned a 6MT Mustang and Ford said, "We're going to make it right but we need to figure out how so please be patient" wouldn't you be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt?

I think some of the outrage is justifiable concern that they're going to get screwed. That's what Ford needed to take off the table from the point at which they realized there was a real problem with the transmissions.
Exactly this is what I've been saying for months.

Ford has fucked up....hopefully the owners who are suffering will be compensated. But Ford's reputation has been damaged AGAIN.

No ONE of the affected owner's cars has been made right to date.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by pttl
Exactly this is what I've been saying for months.

Ford has fucked up....hopefully the owners who are suffering will be compensated. But Ford's reputation has been damaged AGAIN.

No ONE of the affected owner's cars has been made right to date.
Exactly. Any car having issues is STILL having issues. The fluid swap was just a mask, and many are complaining even more afterwards. Not only is it still notchy and rough, the gearbox is now whining under load.

If you follow the Mustang forum, you'll read about owners taking their cars in, reporting back that initially they feel better than before however after 1000 miles they come back on saying the rough shifting is back and worse than ever.

This is what's pissing me off most right now.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Exactly. Any car having issues is STILL having issues. The fluid swap was just a mask, and many are complaining even more afterwards. Not only is it still notchy and rough, the gearbox is now whining under load.

If you follow the Mustang forum, you'll read about owners taking their cars in, reporting back that initially they feel better than before however after 1000 miles they come back on saying the rough shifting is back and worse than ever.

One of the things to take into consideration too is if they need to replace the transmissions, where are they going to get them? They can't just swap in POS Chinese junk again (*hairy eyeball @ Acura*) ... They're making a mistake by not saying anything but it's been a while now. How long does it take to redesign a flawed part and re-manufacture it?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM
My first Avatar....

The way Ford has and continues to handle the entire situation is infuriating.

To actually tell owners that a notchy gear box and grinding gears is "normal for a high performance car" is mind boggling.

Where do they get the balls to try to insult the intelligence of the car buying public like that?

One of the things to take into consideration too is if they need to replace the transmissions, where are they going to get them? They can't just swap in POS Chinese junk again (*hairy eyeball @ Acura*) ... They're making a mistake by not saying anything but it's been a while now. How long does it take to redesign a flawed part and re-manufacture it?
Right! every time they have replaced the MT82 with another one THEY go bad too!
Ford uses Tremec 6060 Trannys in the GT500...maybe they should consider those.

Meanwhile after market companies are scrambling to get drop in replacement for the POS Getrag unit. They are trying to figure a way for the Tremec T56 Magnum to drop in. But what is Ford doing....:crickets: letting people twist in the wind. Simply disgusting.

I'm so happy that the feds are finally involved, and in turn, the media is now involved.... lets watch Ford twist for a while.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM
That was uncalled for...

The way Ford has and continues to handle the entire situation is infuriating.

To actually tell owners that a notchy gear box and grinding gears is "normal for a high performance car" is mind boggling.

Where do they get the balls to try to insult the intelligence of the car buying public like that?

Right! every time they have replaced the MT82 with another one THEY go bad too!
Ford uses Tremec 6060 Trannys in the GT500...maybe they should consider those.

Meanwhile after market companies are scrambling to get drop in replacement for the POS Getrag unit. They are trying to figure a way for the Tremec T56 Magnum to drop in. But what is Ford doing....:crickets: letting people twist in the wind. Simply disgusting.

I'm so happy that the feds are finally involved, and in turn, the media is now involved.... lets watch Ford twist for a while.
I hate to say it, I really do, but I totally agree. Everybody is waiting on Ford's move, and what they will do here.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Wow, so the MT82 has been getting complaints from Land Rover owners for 2+ years, and Ford still decided to use it in the Mustang :shakehead
Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Yes, just what we need is more govt control

To play devils advocate, Having the feds step in may help in the end, BUT if there is still no fix for it what good is it going to do? (worked extremely well with the Acura 5 speed issue didnt it

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the Ford engineers arent working hard behind the scenes to isolate and figure out what needs to be fixed.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

To play devils advocate, Having the feds step in may help in the end, BUT if there is still no fix for it what good is it going to do? (worked extremely well with the Acura 5 speed issue didnt it

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the Ford engineers arent working hard behind the scenes to isolate and figure out what needs to be fixed.
That's the whole thing... We don't know if they are or they aren't. If they are, wouldn't you think they'd come out and say it? Tell us that there's appropriate resources looking into the issue? We haven't heard jack shit except "We will comply with the government"....

Last edited by S A CHO; 08-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, Alot of Fusion and Escape owners have also complained about the 6AT (rough shifting, failures) for the past 2-3 yrs with no fix in sight
Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
My first Avatar....

Well if it doesn't produce a fix, then at least the unfortunate owners who are suffering with these affected cars will have an easier time being compensated for their POS car.

Whether you find it incredibly hard to believe or not, is not the issue. The fact remains that there is ZERO evidence of a fix being worked on. There is simply nothing to suggest anything to the contrary.

Fact - Zero affected cars have been made correct to date.

Fact - The MT82 has been problematic for two years prior to installing it in the '11-12 Mustangs, yet they moved ahead with it anyway.

Fact - When Ford runs out of answers, for the owners of the POS cars, their answer invariably ends up being..."This is normal for a high performance car".

No sympathy for Ford. Maybe they should have taken the bail out money and really did their homework regarding a tranny for the 11-12 Mustang. But instead they went with the easy and quick way to production.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM
That was uncalled for...

Well if it doesn't produce a fix, then at least the unfortunate owners who are suffering with these affected cars will have an easier time being compensated for their POS car.

Whether you find it incredibly hard to believe or not, is not the issue. The fact remains that there is ZERO evidence of a fix being worked on. There is simply nothing to suggest anything to the contrary.

Fact - The MT82 has been problematic for two years prior to installing it in the '11-12 Mustangs, yet they moved ahead with it anyway.

Fact - When Ford runs out of answers, for the owners of the POS cars, their answer invariably ends up being..."This is normal for a high performance car".

No sympathy for Ford. Maybe they should have taken the bail out money and really did their homework regarding a tranny for the 11-12 Mustang. But instead they went with the easy and quick way to production.
It may not have been quick, it may not even have been easy... but it was CHEAPER.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM
My first Avatar....

Nice.

It saddens me that this weekend I will take my 2011 Ford Mustang and try to trade it for a 2011 Nissan Frontier. I wanted to be part of a fraternity of proud Ford Mustang owners not someone who had to subscribe to forums and realize he is one of many owners who Ford has screwed over. I simply cannot wonder every time I drive this car if it will enter a gear properly. I have tried all the mods and gear oils and although they make the shifting better the problem still exists. I’m going to lose $2k in upgrades I have done plus whatever I lose in depreciation but I simply can’t drive this car daily in traffic having to shove the shifter into first and second gear or having to do the “hokey pokey” to engage a gear. I also cannot wait for the next year or longer for Ford to identify and fix this issue if they ever do. I expect a first year car design to have issues but I also expect that the issues will be resolved and fixed not that I will be blamed for my driving or denied the issues even exists. Wish me luck that my car has a good shifting day when I take it in and I wish you all the best that Ford steps up and fixes this problem.
Money

There is a poster over at Blue Oval Forums that was a engineer and he has suggested that there is a lot of friction between the engineers and bean counters at times. From reading his posts, the engineers know their stuff but often get over ruled by the idiots in the office. Its just the way it is and Im sure this happens at all large companies. You do have to wonder why GM and Chryco can put the TR6060 in thier standard cars and Ford cant. Its money and we all know it. Ford has cut a corner and its biting back. Nice work to the Ford bean counters.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts

The way ford is treating customers is VERY wrong and they should be trying to rectify the issue instead of making it worse. Look at toytota and their accelerator issues. They identified 3-4 possible things and told dealers to go ahead with their fixes because they needed to do something. They probably spent millions on all of those repairs and it ended up being user error. That right there is what ford should be doing. If they can at least get a customer a new transmission and tell them it's the same one, it'll hopefully work for you until we can figure out what the issue is and be done with it. Will is cost them money? Yes, but they deserve after wanting to cut a corner with a bad transmission.

FYI Ford didn't take a bailout from the US gov't, right before the shit hit the fan, ford borrowed EVERYTHING they could and even put the ford blue oval up for a loan!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,149 Posts
Damn, looks like New Ford = Old Ford. Too bad. I was considering their stock but probably won't now. American legend with a Chinese tranny.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Just like the 2gtl owners were more easily compensated for their POS cars? Oh wait, that never happened either.
And likewise there is ZERO evidence that they arent

And Ford did NOT take any bailout money and more power to them for not doing so
Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 PM
That was uncalled for...

I wonder if there's any aftermarket companies working on a Tremec TR6060 direct swap in kit

..............They'd get my business...............
Old 08-13-2011, 06:33 PM
My first Avatar....

Just like the 2gtl owners were more easily compensated for their POS cars? Oh wait, that never happened either.
And likewise there is ZERO evidence that they arent

And Ford did NOT take any bailout money and more power to them for not doing so
At least when a 2G transmission was replaced it worked like a new one for a while...i had one... i know.

I know Ford didn't take the bailout...maybe they should have. Then maybe they would have put a proper transmission in these cars.

The Camaro had some issues with the tremec 6060 also, but they are already addressed and the drivers are merrily motoring away.

I can't figure out why you keep defending Ford, like they are your delinquent brother who no one can come to grips with, has fucked up.
Ford has, and continues, to fuck up the longer this goes unaddressed.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 PM
My first Avatar....

I wonder if there's any aftermarket companies working on a Tremec TR6060 direct swap in kit

..............They'd get my business...............
Yes there are a couple companies who are working on a drop in for the MT82 with a Tremec T56 Magnum...it's an updated variant on the 6060.

I can't remember who is trying to bring it to market. I'll have to look it up.
There seems to be issues with driveshaft compatibility. IIRC.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM
That was uncalled for...

Yes there are a couple companies who are working on a drop in for the MT82 with a Tremec T56 Magnum...it's an updated variant on the 6060.

I can't remember who is trying to bring it to market. I'll have to look it up.
There seems to be issues with driveshaft compatibility. IIRC.
Interesting... I'll have to keep an eye on this.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 PM
My first Avatar....

Interesting... I'll have to keep an eye on this.
Here you go!

Answer to an email I sent:

Hello pttl,

TREMEC and American Powertrain have introduced a direct replacement kit for the MT82 using a MAGNUM 6-speed with a new bell, clutch disc, driveshaft yoke and cross member. The kit is an easy swap specifically designed to address your issues. We are taking orders on them now. Product will be ready to ship in October and we expect the first production run to be sold out prior to the release date.

You can give us a call at 931.646.4836 ext 201 and put in your order. You will only be asked for a deposit. The balance will not be due until the product is ready to ship.

Respects,
Gray

Gray G. Fredrick
American Powertrain,
A TREMEC Elite Distributor
(931) 646-4836 ext 103
Gray@AmericanPowertrain.com
www.AmericanPowertrain.com

PLEASE GO TO THE LINK BELOW AND LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Americ...n/160876862676
The following users liked this post:
S A CHO (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Here you go!

That's not going to be cheap at all. And even if the transmission gets ruined in the meantime (waiting for Ford) I would hope any class action makes them fix the flaw and any resulting damage.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 AM
That was uncalled for...

Here you go!

While I see this costing well into the thousands of dollars, I think it'll be worth it for the piece of mind alone.

I also wonder if they'll have different ratios for V6 and V8 models...

Like I've mentioned, my car has been OK for now considering it's summer and always hot out. Once October/November hits who knows how it'll feel.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Didn't read the thread... did Ford fix this issue yet?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
no
Old 08-18-2011, 12:00 PM
That was uncalled for...

You know the worst part?

The rest of the car is fantastic. Ford did such a good job on everything else. You can really tell when you drive the car that everything came together so well in the final product, except the transmission....

They've essentially ruined this generations reputation of being a "good car"... This could all very well change if they FIX THE PROBLEMS.

On some of the other non Ford and non Mustang forums I visit every once and a while a thread will pop up - "2011/2012 Mustangs - What do you think?"... I gaurantee you one of the first 3 responses is "Stay away"...

Ford
Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Hmmm.... this sucks.

After my initial test drive of the 5.0 6MT, I fell in love it. I really don't mind having couple small problems since every car has its own known problems... but a transmission problem? No way I'm dealing with that.

Bummer.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Eventually, Ford will fix this issue. Lesson learned: Do not rely on the Chinese.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
but how late is too late? after fighting a perception battle they may lose the war due to this issue
Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM
My first Avatar....

That's not going to be cheap at all. And even if the transmission gets ruined in the meantime (waiting for Ford) I would hope any class action makes them fix the flaw and any resulting damage.
Don't think a class action will take place...mostly the lawyers make out well in those cases.

Yes it will be expensive but the car is SO good on all other accounts, many of the owners feel it would be worth it.

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Didn't read the thread... did Ford fix this issue yet?
No. Not one owners car has been fixed to date.

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Hmmm.... this sucks.

After my initial test drive of the 5.0 6MT, I fell in love it. I really don't mind having couple small problems since every car has its own known problems... but a transmission problem? No way I'm dealing with that.
Trust me you are NOT alone in this thought. The 5.0 is so awesome in every other way...but the tranny is keeping many others away. A lot of guys are going to the 2011+ Challenger. Even though it's bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

Its not the tranny problem itself. Its the way Ford has screwed the pooch...that is keeping folks away. Problems happen in cars. We all know that. But this non-action by Ford is just incomprehensible.

You know the worst part?

The rest of the car is fantastic. Ford did such a good job on everything else. You can really tell when you drive the car that everything came together so well in the final product, except the transmission....

They've essentially ruined this generations reputation of being a "good car"... This could all very well change if they FIX THE PROBLEMS.

On some of the other non Ford and non Mustang forums I visit every once and a while a thread will pop up - "2011/2012 Mustangs - What do you think?"... I gaurantee you one of the first 3 responses is "Stay away"...

Ford
You said it all!

Eventually, Ford will fix this issue. Lesson learned: Do not rely on the Chinese.
I don't know.... a lot of speculation as to wether or not it will be cost effective for them to come up with a real fix...then start replacing 26000 trannys.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
It's a shame (to an extent) that engineers have to design with bean counters and attorneys in mind. I'm guessing that building a Getrag MT82 in China is cheaper than a Tremec built in Mexico. If not, what the hell were they thinking??

I've seen plenty of 'New GM' being 'Old GM' but is this 'New Ford' being 'Old Ford'?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Soon enough all cars for the american market will be assembled in mexico from parts made in china.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Soon enough all cars for the american market will be assembled in mexico from parts made in china.
Looks like I'll have to save up for the last German Audi and then drive it until they perfect teleportation
Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 PM
My first Avatar....

True delta.com is now reporting the 2011 Mustang is the most problematic model year since they began collecting data in 2005.

They show an average of 38 trips per year for a major repair per 100 vehicles. More disturbing is the average milage is 6200 for a major repair.

For comparison, the 2007 Mustang was 8 major repairs per 100 vehicles at an average milage of 28,000.

Average milage before major repair - Ford Mustang:

2005: 60,700
2006: 42,800
2007: 28,300
2008: 21,800
2010: 12,800
2011: 6,200
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
The representation of their data doesn't look right.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
..... and I STILL want one

The value and overall package is just too compelling. The performance is all there, and it's not like it looks like a steaming pile of turd. Doesn't have a Tonka interior, and it doesn't ride like a horse-drawn carriage either. Hell I personally think the 2011 Mustang looks great, has an interior that slightly exceeds my standards and it probably rides just fine.

Maybe I'll just wait for the 2015 Mustang. Supposedly it will have IRS and direct injection among other things.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
You know the worst part?

Ford
Funny thing. I just wrote up in another thread about the Ford Focus I had rented for two weeks. Everything about the car was excellent and well executed.

Everything except the transmission. The shifts were ill timed, and seemed like an MT that wasn't in gear all the time (it was an AT). And I thought Ford had it together better than that.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:41 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Costco
..... and I STILL want one

The value and overall package is just too compelling. The performance is all there, and it's not like it looks like a steaming pile of turd. Doesn't have a Tonka interior, and it doesn't ride like a horse-drawn carriage either. Hell I personally think the 2011 Mustang looks great, has an interior that slightly exceeds my standards and it probably rides just fine.

Maybe I'll just wait for the 2015 Mustang. Supposedly it will have IRS and direct injection among other things.
All true.

It's a screaming shame the way Ford hasn't handled this.
I'd risk a bad tranny...if Ford could fix them. And acted like they knew they have a problem.

Quick Reply: Ford: Recall News