Ford: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
At least they (sort of) acknowledged it.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
But you also said
yea, and i also meant when the fix came out... it would make no sense to go in today demanding a new transmission when they are still issuing out the same shitty builds...

my original post does not change... anyone who is not having issues at this time, should still have the right to be concerned and want answers..

when a fix is presented, i would still want a newly revised/fixed version of the final product, regardless if mine was still in working order or not...
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Juts going through that thread on All Ford Mustangs and whats worrying is apparently this tranny has had the problem for 8 years? Its been in the Land Rover Defender and some Transit vans for awhile.

The only thing we have to go on with regard to how many cars are affected are reports from owners. What I will say is that there are sticky threads on every automotive forum related to particular problems. HOWEVER... NONE of those problems have the number of posts out there as this issue. None of those issues have resulted in owners contacting news organizations and submitting safety reports to the NHTSA. Few have spawned investigations by the press. None have caused so many owners to post YouTube threads. That's because GM and Chrysler have addressed their major issues... and quickly at that. When you combine that with 8 years of transmission issues reported outside the US with the MT82, you have to wonder.
This post was from the guy leading the charge, I think the same guy who created the vids.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
If they don't know how to fix what's wrong then there's really no point in saying anything until they do. I'm sure if you do the math on replacing all those MT82s it's a LOT of money.

And what do they do about a new transmission to replace one that is clearly horked?

I'd be pissed if I had a new car I couldn't drive so I empathize completely but this isn't that dissimilar from Honda's 5AT or BMW's SMG situations ... It's like there's a playbook to mitigate risk and control negative PR and everyone follows it. Whether it really works or not.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
Ford's response: "We remain absolutely committed to the highest quality in all of our vehicles and are looking into this matter. We remain committed to continuous improvement."

That's about the weakest corporate BS statement imaginable. Barely better than, "Gee, thanks for your input. We'll take it under advisement." imho.

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
when a fix is presented, i would still want a newly revised/fixed version of the final product, regardless if mine was still in working order or not...
I'm afraid what you want and what you get would be two vastly different things. Short of a recall, no one does what you're suggesting and even then they are usually VIN range defined. Next step down is TSB which owners won't even be notified about; they're typically "offered" only when you show up at the dealership with the problem (and in VIN range).

So what you want might be a new trans even if you don't have the issue, what you would probably get is disappointment.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
That's about the weakest corporate BS statement imaginable. Barely better than, "Gee, thanks for your input. We'll take it under advisement." imho.
So, outside of a recall or a TSB, or perhaps complete silence (which is one of the worst things IMO) what would be an ideal press statement?

Last edited by Costco; 04-28-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Although it is horseshit, it's pretty standard. It's up to the contract manufacturer to warranty and fix the issue. Ford doesn't loose money directly on recall / warranty work, but with the poor reputation of the transmission, they will lose out in the long run. I'm guessing they're looking for a cheap and easy fix before calling a full recall. Hopefully no one gets hurt in the mean time.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
So, outside of a recall or a TSB, or perhaps complete silence (which is one of the worst things IMO) what would be an ideal press statement?
How about something that's a bit more specific, but non-commital? Something that says:

- We know there are customers having problems;
- We are investigating those problems;
- We'll provide more infomation as soon as we can;
- We want happy customers with quality cars.

If you going to say something, then at least say something; even if you're just trying to sound good, at least pretend to provide a little content.

Originally Posted by Majofo
Although it is horseshit, it's pretty standard.

And that's why it's completely and utterly meaningless.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
How about something that's a bit more specific, but non-commital? Something that says:

- We know there are customers having problems;
- We are investigating those problems;
- We'll provide more infomation as soon as we can;
- We want happy customers with quality cars.

If you going to say something, then at least say something; even if you're just trying to sound good, at least pretend to provide a little content.

And that's why it's completely and utterly meaningless.
I dont think its meaningless, i think what they said for now is good. It splits the line of saying too much without knowing the issue and not saying anything. Something is better than nothing. Providing content may be hard to do if you dont know what content to say. Everyone wants an answer now, but it most likely doesnt exist. I know it sucks but it takes time and those that are affected need to be patient and have faith that in due time ford will know how to address the problem
Old 04-29-2011, 08:51 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts

So what you want might be a new trans even if you don't have the issue, what you would probably get is disappointment.
well the disappointment wont last too long.. if it fails later down the road it still has to be replaced under warranty.. WITH the redesigned model...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,018 Likes on 3,865 Posts
Interesting....

I recently was able to disassemble the Mt-82 transmission out of my 2011 Mustang GT and I wanted to share what I have found. First I should add that I was shunned at Pompano Ford (local Florida dealer) when I tried to get it repaired under warranty. I was told there was nothing wrong with my car and that I raced it so it wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway. Fortunately I am in the Mustang aftermarket product development and manufacturing business so I can make something work but it is pretty sad that Ford is not standing behind the most expensive Mustang GT ever produced. Shame on you Ford.

Anyway I think my findings will help some of you with your efforts to call Ford on their bluffs when they try to give you the run around.

Now I should also say that there is a cause and effect speculation but draw your own conclusions.
My theory is this. There is a clutch disengagement issue which causes an increase in resistance in the syncro and slider assy and when this happens you inadvertently apply more pressure when you are trying to shift gears. So the cheap stamped steel welded shift fork assemblies that Getrag opted to use in this transmission flex and the nylon covered shift fork pads fail due to the lack of rigidity and increased force. If you look at the pictures in the following links you will see that the shift fork pads are both damaged but one side is completely destroyed. This is the 1-2 shift fork and the only signs of wear in the transmission are the syncro assembly and the shift fork. No broken gears or bearing failures. I was told that I had been abusing the car. Also I had told them that the only reason for bringing the car in was because it popped out of first gear almost every time you tried to take off. It literally popped out of first gear 85% of the time, minimum. The dealer told me that they couldn't get it to pop out of gear. When I got in the car and pulled out of the service drive it popped out of gear.

The most frustrating part is I even told the dealer service people that I was almost positive that it had a damaged shift fork.

Take a look at the pictures and see what you think. We are working on a fix for it now and should have it done in 30 days or less. If we can do that don't you think Ford could?
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...S5-2-11007.jpg
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...S5-2-11009.jpg
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...S5-2-11003.jpg
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...S5-2-11002.jpg
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...S5-2-11001.jpg
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-problems.html
Old 05-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Brokem image refs..

Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM

I'm really disappointed in Ford. Probably my favorite car out there today for all the things it brings to the table.... and Ford is telling people to go pound sand
Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I'm really disappointed in Ford. Probably my favorite car out there today for all the things it brings to the table.... and Ford is telling people to go pound sand

How so? At this point it's all speculation as to what the problem is, how many it affects, and what a solution might be.

Someone posting a damaged transmission online, that may very well be because of his own actions, while blaming Ford is not indicative of anything.

Terry
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by teranfon
How so? At this point it's all speculation as to what the problem is, how many it affects, and what a solution might be.

Someone posting a damaged transmission online, that may very well be because of his own actions, while blaming Ford is not indicative of anything.

Terry
I am jumping to conclusions perhaps as I'm more inclined to believe an anonymous internet poster than a stealership... just writing that makes me feel silly. But from the limited background info, it sounds like he knows what he's doing at least, assuming he isn't just flat out lying.

A group of people just don't make up stories or intentionally damage their cars on purpose then post it up online for no reason. People are saying this is a small sample of the many people who own 2011+ 6MT Mustangs but at the same time you have to realize that not everyone who has a problem goes on the internet and posts about it. This is a trend, and that is never a good thing in a car this new.

Other people who have problems shifting are sharing his sentiments. This is not an isolated incident at all. Yes, we don't know what the true problem is... but blaming owners for driving a 400 bhp RWD sports car the way it was meant to be driven doesn't make sense to me. Hell, it sounds like they are just driving it in the street at a pedestrian pace and the cars still don't want to get into and stay in gear.

There is a video of a 2011 GT, 6AT that is in the 9's already on a stock automatic transmission (IIRC it has a stalled converter) and block as well as a supercharger and various supporting mods. To my knowledge it didn't have any issues after multiple runs. I don't expect Ford to stand behind that owner when it comes to warranty info but many of the problems are seen on almost brand new unmodified cars.

I speculate that Ford is basically telling people to go pound sand because dealers are probably sending reports in to corporate about this issue and the response they're getting is that there isn't a fix just yet. More speculation, Ford is telling dealerships to turn people away because really, if there is no replacement part(s) or fix then what else can they do?

No matter how you spin it, this is not a good situation for Ford

Last edited by Costco; 05-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I am jumping to conclusions perhaps as I'm more inclined to believe an anonymous internet poster than a stealership... just writing that makes me feel silly. But from the limited background info, it sounds like he knows what he's doing at least, assuming he isn't just flat out lying.

A group of people just don't make up stories or intentionally damage their cars on purpose then post it up online for no reason. People are saying this is a small sample of the many people who own 2011+ 6MT Mustangs but at the same time you have to realize that not everyone who has a problem goes on the internet and posts about it. This is a trend, and that is never a good thing in a car this new.

Other people who have problems shifting are sharing his sentiments. This is not an isolated incident at all. Yes, we don't know what the true problem is... but blaming owners for driving a 400 bhp RWD sports car the way it was meant to be driven doesn't make sense to me. Hell, it sounds like they are just driving it in the street at a pedestrian pace and the cars still don't want to get into and stay in gear.

There is a video of a 2011 GT, 6AT that is in the 9's already on a stock automatic transmission (IIRC it has a stalled converter) and block as well as a supercharger and various supporting mods. To my knowledge it didn't have any issues after multiple runs. I don't expect Ford to stand behind that owner when it comes to warranty info but many of the problems are seen on almost brand new unmodified cars.

I speculate that Ford is basically telling people to go pound sand because dealers are probably sending reports in to corporate about this issue and the response they're getting is that there isn't a fix just yet. More speculation, Ford is telling dealerships to turn people away because really, if there is no replacement part(s) or fix then what else can they do?

No matter how you spin it, this is not a good situation for Ford
I guess I feel differently, as I choose not to believe either. Someone who posts online what he feels the problem is, or the "stealership". I base my opinion on personal experience and concrete evidence.

No, most people don't flat out make up stories, but there are several that jump onto a bandwagon that are quick to offer a judgement or opinion, usually with little knowledge or firsthand experience.

I too have heard about a potential issue, and have actually discussed the matter with others. There has been some warranty claims in regards to transmissions, but no one has been able to determine what precisely the problem is. Hell, some have reported the problem goes away completely with a different type of fluid. And this problem seems to be effecting a minute number of the cars being built. I know a number that are having no problems at all. I don't expect to be experiencing a problem either (that's all I'm saying about that). Yesterday I was at my dealer, and asked them. No problems reported. In fact I have yet to find any friend, acquaintance, or other enthusiast that own these cars to be experiencing any driveline problems.

Is this to say there isn't a problem? Nope, but it's interesting that there are a few that are so quick to offer a solution without even knowing what the problem is, or even the severity of it. And even more telling, the majority of owners that have this transmission aren't experiencing any problems whatsoever. From stock configurations to highly modified racers. Ford and Getrag will be looking closely at this, and much has been already established. But until then, everything is just speculation.

In regards to Ford telling everyone to "pound sand", what do you base this on? Have they told you this personally? Or again, is it merely speculation? Do you honestly think Ford is telling people droves of people with 6MTs to pound sand, allowing them to drive away, and onto the city streets and highways with cars that don't remain in gear? Ford isn't stupid, and the class action suit of intentionally sending unsafe cars onto the roads would be crippling.

Terry

Last edited by teranfon; 05-06-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sticking to my hypothesis...they simply had a bad run of them and will need to suss out which ones they are.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM

^I too, hope it's just a bad batch, for whatever reason. My biggest concern is Ford may never disclose the true problem, whether it exists or not. The two parallels I am seeing between how Honda handled their transmission problem and how Ford is handling theirs is that both companies were very hush-hush about it even after problem reports started popping up all over. Ask former 2G TL/CL owners about how they feel concerning Acura's handling of the situation.... not good. Another thing, how do these Mustang owners feel when they get turned away?

I guess I feel differently, as I choose not to believe either. Someone who posts online what he feels the problem is, or the "stealership". I base my opinion on personal experience and concrete evidence.

No, most people don't flat out make up stories, but there are several that jump onto a bandwagon that are quick to offer a judgement or opinion, usually with little knowledge or firsthand experience.

I too have heard about a potential issue, and have actually discussed the matter with others. There has been some warranty claims in regards to transmissions, but no one has been able to determine what precisely the problem is. Hell, some have reported the problem goes away completely with a different type of fluid. And this problem seems to be effecting a minute number of the cars being built. I know a number that are having no problems at all. I don't expect to be experiencing a problem either (that's all I'm saying about that). Yesterday I was at my dealer, and asked them. No problems reported. In fact I have yet to find any friend, acquaintance, or other enthusiast that own these cars to be experiencing any driveline problems.

Is this to say there isn't a problem? Nope, but it's interesting that there are a few that are so quick to offer a solution without even knowing what the problem is, or even the severity of it. And even more telling, the majority of owners that have this transmission aren't experiencing any problems whatsoever. From stock configurations to highly modified racers. Ford and Getrag will be looking closely at this, and much has been already established. But until then, everything is just speculation.

In regards to Ford telling everyone to "pound sand", what do you base this on? Have they told you this personally? Or again, is it merely speculation? Do you honestly think Ford is telling people droves of people with 6MTs to pound sand, allowing them to drive away, and onto the city streets and highways with cars that don't remain in gear? Ford isn't stupid, and the class action suit of intentionally sending unsafe cars onto the roads would be crippling.

Terry
I'm not going to call Ford stupid, and perhaps they are dancing on the fine line of a class action lawsuit. It wouldn't be the first time an auto manufacturer has been involved in a class action lawsuit regarding safety features of a vehicle and it definitely wouldn't be the last.

I think we all remember this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmY2awSCsM

According to the video description, the owner of the car (who took the video) said (I'm copying and pasting here)

My 2011 Ford Mustang GT has been in the shop 6 times, 42 days out of service, 2 transmissions, 3 clutches, 3 flywheels, all with only 3000 miles on the car. And now THIS... This will now be the THIRD transmission, FOURTH clutch and FOURTH flywheel. And according to Ford Customer care, it has now become systemic with Mustangs with the MT82 transmission so if you AREN'T experiencing gear clashing, inability to shift, etc. you're one of the lucky ones. Over 3000 posts from owners with these issues at allfordmustangs.com. There are also now 17 complaints to the NHTSA from owners like me who have been in close calls because of an inability to get the car into a gear.

I've complained to Ford about this issue being a safety risk and they don't seem to care.
Another interesting thing to note... the video is 4 weeks old but only a week ago the video poster also commented in response to another comment, "I'll NEVER buy a Ford product again. Unbelievable."

Indeed, there are many people who don't have problems with the 2011+ Mustangs. I am sure of that much and won't dispute that at all. I surely hope that it stays that way.

However, I'm sure most people here are familiar with the debacle that is the 2G TL/CL/Honda in general 5-speed automatic fiasco. Our 2G TL is nearing 80k miles and still occasionally slips/hesitates changing gears. There hasn't been a major issue yet.... but that means nothing for the future. Just out of curiosity I ventured to the 2G TL forum and only a week ago someone reported a tranny failure, even though myself and many others have yet to require a replacement.

ANY discussion regardless this matter at this point is largely speculation, unless Ford/Getrag themselves chimes in on this issue in detail.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't expect to be experiencing a problem either (that's all I'm saying about that).
Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Old 05-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Built Chinese tough
Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Terry
Well said and i agree 100%
Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Last weekend I swapped out the Ford fluid (looked a little dark for ~3000km's, was a bit thick too). I put in Redline MTL and the cold shifting has improved quite a bit, warm shifting is even smoother than before.

When I was at the dealership with my mother this week, I asked the service advisor if they'd seen any come in for transmission problems. He said the only issues they've seen were with a couple early build cars where the pressure plate bolts back out due to improper Loctite used (It's a well known TSB). That's it. This is the most well known Mustang/SVT/Roush dealership in the Toronto area too.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
the issue in the video is definitely synchro and synchro retaining ring damage
Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by elementpb
I got my car back yesterday and today had a nice long conversation with the regional service manager or whatever her title is.

The FSE said that it shifts roughly, but its a 'performance transmission' so I shouldn't expect it to be smooth.

what kind of BS is that?
2nd gear is obviously much greater shift effort than the other gears.
There is a loud grinding if you shift without using significant force.

Sounds like they've all been given a script. My service manager told me it's a performance transmission and that they don't shift smoothly because the gears are so large, their mass makes it impossible.

I asked him why it shifted as brilliantly and effortlessly as my 2 Miatas for the first 1200 miles. He rolled his eyes.
That was the Ford Customer Service line when discussing my transmission problems.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-262.html

More "support" from the "Blue Oval"
Old 05-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It was slow at work the other night, so I decided to look up some info on this as I was thinking about buying a Mustang.

Anyway, the NHTSA has quite a few manual transmission complaints ( http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/ ), but they have not yet opened an investigation. (I'm sure the NHTSA has to consider the possibility of internet campaigns skewing legitimate complaints). Also, TrueDelta ( http://www.truedelta.com ) doesn't have many repair histories for 2011-2012 Mustangs, but several of the ones listed are reporting transmission issues. And, of course, there are the forums.

One forum had a good idea of people with problems listing the date of manufacture of the car, fixes done and their effectiveness, but it appears the thread devolved into a massive argument on whether or not it's a real problem and speculation on what Ford is thinking/doing. There may be enough data in there to make a reasonable theory of its being a bad batch or ongoing problem, but it would take a long time to sift through it. (Edit: It would also be nice to know what level of experience those people have with manual transmissions, if they rev match, etc. but that would be difficult).

I'm sure that Ford is researching and trying to figure out what the problem is and how to best fix it, but for now, I've generally crossed the Mustang off my personal list. It's too bad, as there aren't a lot of fun to drive, relatively affordable, manual transmission cars around.

While this has nothing to do with that, after leaving work, I pulled up next to a Mustang at a red light before a freeway entrance and thought maybe taking the risk on buying one would be worth it after all. As the light turned green, the driver decided to pull into my lane, forcing me to swerve and brake. It seemed oddly symbolic of my thought process.

Last edited by Carraway; 05-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Carraway
It was slow at work the other night, so I decided to look up some info on this as I was thinking about buying a Mustang.

Anyway, the NHTSA has quite a few manual transmission complaints ( http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/ ), but they have not yet opened an investigation. (I'm sure the NHTSA has to consider the possibility of internet campaigns skewing legitimate complaints). Also, TrueDelta ( http://www.truedelta.com ) doesn't have many repair histories for 2011-2012 Mustangs, but several of the ones listed are reporting transmission issues. And, of course, there are the forums.

One forum had a good idea of people with problems listing the date of manufacture of the car, fixes done and their effectiveness, but it appears the thread devolved into a massive argument on whether or not it's a real problem and speculation on what Ford is thinking/doing. There may be enough data in there to make a reasonable theory of its being a bad batch or ongoing problem, but it would take a long time to sift through it. (Edit: It would also be nice to know what level of experience those people have with manual transmissions, if they rev match, etc. but that would be difficult).

I'm sure that Ford is researching and trying to figure out what the problem is and how to best fix it, but for now, I've generally crossed the Mustang off my personal list. It's too bad, as there aren't a lot of fun to drive, relatively affordable, manual transmission cars around.

While this has nothing to do with that, after leaving work, I pulled up next to a Mustang at a red light before a freeway entrance and thought maybe taking the risk on buying one would be worth it after all. As the light turned green, the driver decided to pull into my lane, forcing me to swerve and brake. It seemed oddly symbolic of my thought process.
+1

If you find a replacement car that fills the void left by the 5.0....let me know.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 PM
My first Avatar....

Update:

Feds investigating new Ford Mustang, VW Jetta

David Shepardson/ Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington — Federal safety officials have opened investigations into new Ford Mustangs with manual transmissions over erratic shifting and diesel Volkswagen Jetta sedans for fuel leaks.
In documents posted Sunday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it was opening a preliminary investigation into 26,000 2011-12 Mustang vehicles.
NHTSA said it has received 32 complaints alleging an unexpected inability to shift into gear on Mustangs equipped with manual transmissions that some suggested had nearly led to crashes.
Some reports said incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic, while others said incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110807/...#ixzz1UNtDaV1m
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
It's pretty rare to have issues with a MT, this is surprising.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by dallison
It's pretty rare to have issues with a MT, this is surprising.
On going for a year and a half now. Truly a shame.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 PM
My first Avatar....

More info:

Feds launch Mustang transmission probe after Jalopnik, forum stories

Earlier this year we told you about a rising number of Ford Mustang owners complaining of faulty manual transmissions that Ford can't seem to fix. Now U.S. safety regulators have opened a defect probe into 26,000 cars.
While a NHTSA preliminary investigation won't automatically lead to a recall, it will force Ford to tell NHTSA how widespread the problem is, and what steps if any Ford may have taken to tackle it.
http://jalopnik.com/5828532/feds-lau...ford%20mustang

Last edited by pttl; 08-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 PM

... I still want one

I guess I'll just hold out hope, just like I still am for BMW's HPFP. Though this transmission issue arguably has more substantial repercussions if it acts up at the wrong time (as mentioned)
Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 PM
My first Avatar....

... I still want one

I guess I'll just hold out hope, just like I still am for BMW's HPFP. Though this transmission issue arguably has more substantial repercussions if it acts up at the wrong time (as mentioned)
+1
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

+2.

I'm kind of hoping they find something and force Ford to resolve the issue.

That will at least give me some confidence about buying a pre-owned 11 or 12' GT. Confidence in a used GT is something I don't have right now.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 AM
My first Avatar....

Left Lane News:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nhtsa-in...gearboxes.html

Apparently something was also mentioned on Fox News this morning.

This is good for the car enthusiast. Maybe not too good for Ford. But, I now have NO sympathy for Ford, they have made their bed...now we'll see what happens

Dom...stay away from any preowned MT Mustangs. Do a search on Auto trader and look at the numbers compared to Camaro...Challenger. Not good. People are getting rid of them at a surprising rate.

I just want it straightened out.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pttl

Dom...stay away from any preowned MT Mustangs. Do a search on Auto trader and look at the numbers compared to Camaro...Challenger. Not good. People are getting rid of them at a surprising rate.

I just want it straightened out.
I noticed that. What really caught my attention was the number if 11 GT's available at or near 30K around here. Thing is, most of them are AT's which wouldn't explain dumping them because of the transmission.

EDIT: Just did a quick autotrader.ca search of 2011-2012 cars.

50 Camaro's
92 Mustangs
6 Challengers

But I don't know what sales look like in Canada. The Mustang could have outsold the Camaro 2 to 1 up here.

Last edited by dom; 08-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by dom
I noticed that. What really caught my attention was the number if 11 GT's available at or near 30K around here. Thing is, most of them are AT's which wouldn't explain dumping them because of the transmission.

EDIT: Just did a quick autotrader.ca search of 2011-2012 cars.

50 Camaro's
92 Mustangs
6 Challengers

But I don't know what sales look like in Canada. The Mustang could have outsold the Camaro 2 to 1 up here.
Camaro has been kicking the Mustangs ass in the US...except for the month of June...I think.

I'm sure the auto tranny Stangs are due to the price of fuel. The Autos are pretty much bullet proof.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM
That was uncalled for...

Still pleasently chugging away in my MT-82 equipped Mustang. Once it's up to operating temp it's smooth sailing...

I'm very glad to see this issue spread around the major news outlets, and that the NHTSA is involved. Ford dropped the ball when they decided to ignore customer complaints; Now they're seeing the repercussions.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of the executive boardroom at Ford when this news finally hit them... I wonder if it was a "Oh shit" reaction or "What now?" kind of thing...
Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,961 Likes on 14,481 Posts
^^^probably a combination of both. Glad you're unaffected at least! I would be so upset if I spent 30K on a car and couldn't get it into gear.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by rockstar143
^^^probably a combination of both. Glad you're unaffected at least! I would be so upset if I spent 30K on a car and couldn't get it into gear.
I'd be beyond upset, which is why I'm very disappointed with how this whole situation has played out...

Quick Reply: Ford: Recall News