Old 02-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford: Recall News

More problems with Bridgestone/Firestone tires:

Another Recall Involving Ford, Firestone Tires and S.U.V.'s
By DANNY HAKIM

Published: February 27, 2004

DETROIT, Feb. 26 - Auto safety regulators said on Thursday that Bridgestone/Firestone North America had begun the first tire recall since the government started using a new early warning system created in the wake of the rollover problems of Ford Explorers equipped with Firestone tires in the late 1990's.

The latest recall again involves both Firestone and the Ford Motor company. About 290,000 Firestone tires will be replaced on Ford Excursion sport utility vehicles; the move comes after accidents that have been linked to five deaths. A Ford official said the tires, which were made at a plant in Joliette, Quebec, were used on about 80,000 Ford Excursions, including 2000, 2001, 2002 and some early 2003 models. The tires are Steeltex Radial A/T tires in size LT265/75R16, Load Range D.

While the size of the recall is small in comparison with the millions of Wilderness tires recalled by Ford and Firestone in 2000 and 2001, it raised fresh questions about Bridgestone/Firestone North America, a Nashville-based division of the Bridgestone Corporation of Japan.

Three years ago, Ford ended its nearly century-long relationship with Firestone after tread separations and failures of Wilderness tires led to 271 deaths in rollovers. Since then, questions have been raised about the 41 million Steeltex tires Firestone produced, which were used on the Excursion, Ford's largest sport utility vehicle, as well as 15-passenger vans, motor homes and ambulances.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ended an inquiry into the Steeltex tires in 2002, concluding they did not perform appreciably worse than a competitor's tires. Later that year, a personal injury lawyer, Joseph Lisoni, pressed the traffic safety agency to reopen its investigation, but his petition was denied last year.

Mr. Lisoni, who represents several plaintiffs who were injured or whose family members were injured or killed in accidents involving Steeltex tires, is seeking to have class-action status granted for all people who bought vehicles with Steeltex tires.

The recall of just one type of Steeltex tire on Thursday, which Firestone referred to as a "voluntary safety campaign," was prompted by the new early warning system, which requires manufacturers to submit a variety of data each quarter to the government. The first data came in December and disclosed three recent accidents that led to five deaths and four other accidents that led to injuries.

"They submit information about warranty claims, crashes, injuries, fatalities, lawsuits and so on," said Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the traffic safety agency. "And all of that together suggested there might be an issue there worth closer examination."

He added that the agency had been prepared to open a formal investigation before the company took its own action.

"They asked us if we could sit down and review the data and discuss it before we opened the investigation," Mr. Tyson said. "They came in on the 17th of February and, at that point, indicated a willingness to conduct a replacement campaign."

He said the agency had reviewed data on other Steeltex tires and did not find any indication of a problem.

Chris Karbowiak, a spokeswoman for Firestone, said: "I'm not sure I want to characterize it as a problem. What we're doing is taking an action based on trend data to avoid a problem in the future."

She said the issue with one Steeltex tire type had no bearing on others.

"Steeltex is a brand name that covers over 103 different lines of tires - different applications, different purposes, different vehicles," she said.

Mr. Lisoni, the lawyer, said: "This is a design defect, not a manufacturing defect. The Steeltex is just the big brother of the Wilderness. The Wilderness went on the Explorer, smaller cars and trucks. The Steeltex goes on your bigger trucks, 15-passenger vans, Ford Club Wagons."

Joan Claybrook, the president of the consumer group Public Citizen and the former head of the traffic safety agency, said the action showed the new system worked, but she added that it raised questions about why the problem was not disclosed by Firestone until it had to turn data over to the government.

Ms. Karbowiak said: "We had been reviewing the data since the end of last year, beginning of this year, and were in a position to present to them the information that we had. It was clear they were comfortable we were moving this in the right direction."

Mr. Lisoni says he has three former Firestone workers who are willing to describe the company's practices or have already done so in court. One of them, a Firestone employee for nearly 30 years named George Rios, said in an interview on Thursday that he had worked as a lab technician, a production supervisor and a quality inspector at a plant near Nashville.

He said a drive to reduce costs led the company to cut back on quality technicians and engineers qualified to inspect the tires and compromised the quality of the tires. He also said rubber used in tires was sometimes not tested before being shipped out.

"I had complained to them that the test procedures they used were inadequate," he said. "These issues I was trying to bring up, nobody paid attention to."

Dan MacDonald, a company spokesman, said Firestone's cost-cutting was "aimed at productivity improvement, efficiency improvements and quality improvements."

"Everything that was done was subjected to rigorous testing," he said. "If they didn't have the same or better quality than what we were already using, then we didn't use it."
Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Ford: Gas Pedal Recall

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1447265/

Ford stops production of full-size commercial vehicles in China after discovering gas pedal used came from supplier involved in the recall at Toyota, Wall Street Journal reports

Globe and Mail Update
Published on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2010 9:13AM EST

Last updated on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2010 9:25AM EST

Ford Motor Co. (F-N11.55----%) has stopped production of its full-size commercial vehicles in China after discovering that the gas pedal used came from the supplier involved in the recall at Toyota Motor Co., the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

The production halt affects the full-size Transit Classic commercial vehicle Ford makes in China with one of its joint-venture partners, Jiangling Motors Corp., according to Ford spokesman Said Deep.

There have been no reports in China of Ford drivers experiencing the same type of uncontrolled acceleration problems that promoted Toyota to issue a massive recall and halt sales of most of its popular models in the U.S.

Mr. Deep said CTS Corp., an auto-parts supplier based in Indiana, began to provide gas-pedal assemblies for the Transit Classic in China in December. About 1,600 vehicles were made and Mr. Deep said the questionable pedal was only used in its diesel models. It was unclear whether Ford would need to recall the vehicles sold to replace the pedal.

A statement from Jiangling in China is expected later Thursday, according to Mr. Deep.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's not the pedal...it's the software!!!!
Ford is trying to cover it up!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
so wait. does this affect any North American models?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by SG81
so wait. does this affect any North American models?
There have been no reports in China of Ford drivers experiencing the same type of uncontrolled acceleration problems that promoted Toyota to issue a massive recall and halt sales of most of its popular models in the U.S.
This statement leads me to believe it's China only...but I dunno for sure.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
This statement leads me to believe it's China only...but I dunno for sure.
Only commercial trucks in China.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Interestingly CTS makes pedals for Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi as well as Toyota. I understand that each is made to design specs of the respective automakers.

In addition, Toyota has said that they consider the accelerator to be a Toyota part, and not a CTS part, and they are responsible for the part.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has a Ford driven you lately?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

:crickets:
Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Misleading thread title FTL...

When I saw the title I thought to my self...

Then I read it's 1600 units in China...
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Not nearly as funny as the Toyota picture
Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
IMHO Toyota has irreversably damaged CTS over their inability to properly test their DBW system......now every other manufacturer out there using CTS parts will have to "recall" the cars and inspect them even though it is most likely not the cause of the issue......
Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Ford: Recall news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ihad...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmY2...eature=related

Justin Hyde — The 2011 Ford Mustang debuted last year to glowing reviews, strong sales and swaddled in American pride. But over the past several months, hundreds of owners have complained of broken Chinese-built manual transmissions — a problem Ford has yet to rectify.
On one Mustang owners forum, reports of the problems, possible solutions and complaints to Ford have grown to 2,700 postings, affecting owners of both the V6 and high-powered V8 versions. Fifteen owners have lodged safety complaints with U.S. regulators, saying balky shifts and grinding gears pose a safety hazard in driving. While Ford has offered several potential solutions to owners and reached out to those who complain, many say the problems go away after a repair, then return.

While manual transmissions are an endangered species among U.S. new car buyers, about a third of all 2011 Mustang owners — nearly 22,000 vehicles — wanted to stir their own gears, according to one leaked Ford production summary. It's the buyers who've owned Mustangs for years, spend up to $35,000 for their ride and act as Ford's best evangelists for life with a pony car.

The most common complaint is hard shifts between first, second and third gears, with grinding in other gears. One Mustang owner put his transmission on video — saying the problems had persisted even after six trips to dealerships, two new transmissions, three new clutches and 42 days of the car in the shop:

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I thought I was gonna get killed tonight. Being on the highway and losing the ability to shift with 3 lanes bearing down on me was enough to make me realize this: A lemon is one thing... An anomaly. This is not an anomaly.

Another owner told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the transmission wouldn't shift in traffic:

My car's shift lever became stuck and wouldn't go into gear and I had to force it back to the neutral position while coming to a stop light.. The manual transmission in my 2011 Ford Mustang GT has been whining and grinding gears since the clutch was replaced due to a design flaw (only to get the exact same clutch assembly), and will be going back to the dealer March 29th to hopefully get the trans replaced (w/ the exact same trans that has all these known issues). I imagine this would happen again between now and when the car is taken to the dealer, this is my only and first brand new car, I shouldnt be having these dangerous problems, let along taking my brand new car to a dealership to keep getting repaired over and over again because the failing parts are just being replaced w/ the same parts only to fail over and over again.

Full size
The MT82 transmission in question is built by Ford and supplier Getrag at a joint venture in Nanchang, China — a point that has only added to the ire of some customers. And it's not the first time owners of that transmission have reported trouble shifting; the same problems were reported by owners of Land Rover Defenders.

Since the first complaints surfaced last year, Ford has attempted to soothe angry owners and quietly offered several possible fixes, from replacing bolts in the flywheel to new clutches to even swapping out the transmission fluid. While some of those repairs have satisfied customers, several report that the problems returned — especially the balky 1st-2nd shift.

We asked Ford for a comment, and we'll update when we hear back.
http://jalopnik.com/#!5792482/faulty...w-ford-mustang
Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Hope Ford resolves this once and for all. Wonder if the problem is more prevalent in the GTs?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
buy "American" they say.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Hope Ford resolves this once and for all. Wonder if the problem is more prevalent in the GTs?

Some V6 owners are experiencing similar problems.

Terry
Old 04-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
God I wish that guy would stop trying to force it into gear. I think my teeth will hurt for the rest of the day.

It he went into 3rd shifting up but not down. I wonder if it's the syncros.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Wow that sucks. Really unfortunate cause at that price range for a new car the 5.0 was set in stone at #1 for me. Now I'm not so sure.

Has to be the synchros... or they are at least part of the problem. I don't think it's the assembly itself, but rather the materials used in the tranny. Unless of course the defective parts are from China
Old 04-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
You all may recall the Fiesta I had as a rental in California and the transmission crapped out at 100 miles. Wasn't impressed.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,015 Likes on 3,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
buy "American" they say.
The whole car is built in America EXCEPT FOR THE TRANSMISSION which is built in CHINA.

This is a fiasco for Ford and the Getrag Tranny. I've read that some owners are considering replacing the Getrag with an American built Tremec unit.

This is the #1 reason I've been dragging my feel on getting the 5.0. I suppose the AT is an option.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by teranfon
Some V6 owners are experiencing similar problems.

Terry
Terry

Any info from your Ford contacts, as to whether Ford is considering changing Trannys? Maybe changing tranny manufacturing sites?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by pttl
The whole car is built in America EXCEPT FOR THE TRANSMISSION which is built in CHINA.
yea, that's pretty obvious.

but that's a pretty important "except"
might as well have an American tranny with a Chinese built V8

my point was to point out how American companies want to gain trust and put confidence in it's people. yet things like transmissions get subbed out to save a buck at the expense of craftsmanship.

I wasn't aware they did this, but as somebody that's really rooting for domestic cats to step it up, this saddens me.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
buy "American" they say.
Yep. But the tranny's not American. Wish it was.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Why would ford used a tranny that was made in China? so stupid.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Yep. But the tranny's not American. Wish it was.
trust me, I do too..
Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 PM
My first Avatar....

yea, that's pretty obvious.

but that's a pretty important "except"
might as well have an American tranny with a Chinese built V8

my point was to point out how American companies want to gain trust and put confidence in it's people. yet things like transmissions get subbed out to save a buck at the expense of craftsmanship.

I wasn't aware they did this, but as somebody that's really rooting for domestic cats to step it up, this saddens me.
Is that the reason? I thought it was the known as "globalization".
The fact that this China made tranny can ruin an otherwise outstanding car is an epic falure for the concept of the globalized world. IMO Ford should be scrambling to reassign the manufacturing of the Tranny to the US.

Build the F***ing tranny in America!!! We'll pay the extra $500 for a reliable Tranny.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
The Dumb One

we'll pay the extra $500
exactly.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Very sad, the 5.0 6spd was definitely on my future short list of cars to checkout. I hope the issues gets resolved COME ON FORD!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by MySoCalLife
Why would ford used a tranny that was made in China? so stupid.

.... The MT82 transmission in question is built by Ford and supplier Getrag at a joint venture in Nanchang, China ....

Getrag and Ford joint venture. Chinese labor and low regulatory standards = low cost. Chinese parts sourcing, production controls and mfg oversight .... ?

Could be a design issue, I suppose. Even if it is, it makes Ford look bad and makes Chinese sourced parts look bad .... again.

Wonder if they'll pull the old Explorer/Firestone tire trick again. " . Who us? We don't have a problem, those transmissions are fine. Trust us."
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
While this really sucks, blaming it on being Chinese built as the problem may or may not be right. The very same thing could happen being built here in America or Japan. (a certain j series 5 speed auto comes to mind)
Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Terry

Any info from your Ford contacts, as to whether Ford is considering changing Trannys? Maybe changing tranny manufacturing sites?

Hi pttl

Nope. The problem lies with Getrag themselves. The 82 is actually designed to be a light and very precise transmission. Many prefer it to the Tremec 6060 used in the GT500. Getrag is apparently working on a solution, but it's reported that it's not with be basic design itself. The 6060 isn't American either, as it's assembled in Mexico.

The six speed automatic has been a surprising favourite. People are routinely running twelve second slips with them with no modification except tires. I've driven both, and I must admit I was impressed with the slushbox.

Terry
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 PM
skh
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that the transmission does not let you shift in to second at low RPMs, (to save fuel you shift from 1st to 4th skipping 2nd & 3rd) I wonder if this has anything to do with these problems?? I thought there was just a solenoid that forced the 1st to 4th shift??
Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by teranfon
Hi pttl

Nope. The problem lies with Getrag themselves. The 82 is actually designed to be a light and very precise transmission. Many prefer it to the Tremec 6060 used in the GT500. Getrag is apparently working on a solution, but it's reported that it's not with be basic design itself. The 6060 isn't American either, as it's assembled in Mexico.

The six speed automatic has been a surprising favourite. People are routinely running twelve second slips with them with no modification except tires. I've driven both, and I must admit I was impressed with the slushbox.

Terry
Thanks Terry.

It sounds like Getrag doesn't know what's happening. If it is not design, is it cheap parts material, or shoddy assembly? Either way this is immensely disappointing.

I've read that some folks are putting the Tremec T56 Magnum trannys (which is rated for 700 lb-ft) into their Mustangs...is that unit built in Mexico too? For some reason I trust Mexican assembly more than I do Chinese. I guess it has something to do with VW's Mexican success.

So the Auto tranny is good in the Stang? Is it a straight auto or is there some sort of paddle shifter?

Thanks again man.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
It's a pretty shitty situation, no doubt. I can't explain how fortunate (lucky?) I am that my transmission is absolutely flawless (knock on wood). It's butter smooth after a couple miles of driving and stays that way all day long.

Some guys have nightmares on their hands (as seen in the video). I hate that this is happening to these guys, and to Ford.

I must say I am a little dissapointed at Ford for not stepping up and stating there is an issue and that a fix is in the works. That would settle so many angry minds and might win back some of the customers that had previously given up.

If I have to pick sides here, I'm obviously on the customers' side. There's no excuse to let down so many loyal fans/customers and turn them off completely by ignoring these issues.

I'll throw this out there too - I emailed the contact I had at the Ford assembly plant that I met last year during my plant tour about this transmission issue, and if there is a potential fix in the works, or what may be causing this - pretty much any info on the situation. No reply; It's been about 3 weeks. Not good.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
buy "American" they say.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 AM
My first Avatar....

After reading thru this thread,http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-207.html I guess I'll be crossing the Mustang off of my list.

207 pages of unresolved complaints and dealerships not being able to resolve any issue, and Ford not admitting there is a real problem with the car. How sad can it be?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
buy "American" they say.
Yeah, buying Japanese worked great for me when my 4th TL tranny decided to down-shift to 2nd while doing 75mph.
No country is perfect at building cars.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ true but the japanese definitely have a history of being more reliable than american

Quick Reply: Ford: Recall News