BMW: Chris Bangle news **Speculation on Departure (page 6)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I don't know much about Chris Bangle, I've never read much about Chris Bangle. I don't even know all the models he's responsible for (Z4, 5, 7, and upcoming 1 AFAIK). But from what I've seen, I like his work. Designs like the 5 and 7 are perhaps a bit too much change all at once. In the long run, tho, I think it's a good move for BMW, even its diehard loyalists all shun them for it. Why is this? Just take a look at the competition: MB, Acura, Infiniti, Audi...all of them have significantly redesigned their model lineups in the last 2-3 years. BMW would have lost out on a lot of younger customers by staying staid and traditional.

Yah, I do agree that the previous gen 5's and 7's had a certain bullishness about them and I still find prev gen 5's very handsome every time I see one on the road, but the fact is that it was time for an upgrade.

So all I have to say is that I like his designs and it's certainly not because some magazine says I should . IMO Z4 and 5 are absolutely drop dead gorgeous cars.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: I dunno...

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
oh hell no!!!!
his latest designs look like crap. eye-catching is another word for "look at that thing, it's so ugly"
I don't think you could walk into a BMW dealership, look at a Z4 or a new 5 and honestly say that it's "ugly", so ugly that you would never, ever, drive one. I'd love to get my hands on a 540 and I seriously considered a Z4 (if not for the crappy Northeast weather and my inability to afford a beater ATM).
Old 02-01-2004, 04:02 PM
not worthy of a title

the Z4 is very nice. The 5 series is probably the ugliest car to leave the BMW stable in the past decade. The interior is very nice. But on the outside, it's pretty disguisting. But we'll just see how they sell.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Bangle's designs are definately hit or miss with the public. A good chunk of the public thinks the new 7 and 5 Series look ugly (I tend to agree on this one). Some people don't mind or actually like the new designs (I've heard a few positive comments, but not a lot actually). The old 3 still looks nice (I think this was a Bangle design as well, which is why BMW gave him so much leeway with the other redesigns). However, the new 3 is on the way soon, and I think it incorporates some of the 7 and 5 exterior elements, as does the new 6 Series. The Z4 is an improvement on the old Z3 (they all still need hardtops), but I still don't like the interior on all BMW's. They are not as ergonomically clean and functional like the Honda/Acuras.

On the whole, I think what Bangle has done is cause doubt. What I mean by this is, BMWs are now exceptional performance machines engineering wise. The combination of performance/handling/technology/luxury is amazing and sets a standard for performance/luxury automobiles. This alone will sell cars. But the exterior is now injecting a bit of doubt as to whether all that is worth buying a stylistically questionable car. This is not good for BMW because, by and large, the population that can and will buy these kinds of luxury cars can afford to jump ship and buy a Mercedes, Lexus or Jaguar on a whim, based on looks alone. If the other manufacturers decide to pounce on this opportunity and provide a good counter to the 3, 5, 7 and Z Series, then BMW might lose market share. This is what is probably worrying BMW right now, because in order to make any serious exterior design changes will take 3 years minimum, and may only lead to a stopgap change until the next overhaul redesign. That's a lot of money and momemtum change for a company and industry that does not necessarily change on a dime.

I had my sights set on a 5 Series, but I am seriously, seriously questioning that right now. I would go Mercedes E Class, but will have to save some extra for the E500. I also have questions about quality as my parent's old E300 had a multitude of problems and Mercedes' reputation in that matter have taken a drop. Don't want a Jaguar because you are essentially buying a Ford and the Lexus models are pretty boring now. I'm thinking long and hard about biting the bullet and switching over to a Porsche Cayenne (family, but not too family, if you know what I mean). But you see, BMW is losing out in my mind, all because...well...I think they are looking butt ugly right now...all of them.

Oh yeah, I reserve judgment on Acura until I see and hear specs on the new RL. Better have no rattles, better have better customer service, better have AWD and more than 300+ HP to float my boat.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by soopa
ALL HAIL BANGLE!!!!!!!

The 7 Series OWNZ all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chris Bangle, the oft maligned maestro of BMW design, has been officially kicked upstairs to Director of BMW Group Design, and will oversee a reorganized set of design departments including Mini and Rolls-Royce.

Source: Autoweek
Old 02-05-2004, 02:04 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by sarlacc23
soop i just gotta ask, do you like the aztek?

no.

but to each his own.

i think all the new bimmers are beautiful....
Old 02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Originally posted by soopa
no.

but to each his own.

i think all the new bimmers are beautiful....
Only curious, dont remember where i was gonna go with that anyway
Old 02-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: The Car Connection
Old 02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

I guess congratulations , I'm more bothered by the interiors than exteriors.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kansaiwalker1
I still like the previous generation 5 and 7 series better.

I think the 750iL is one of the most beautiful cars ever built.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Kabachitare!

BMW remains committed to "Bangle Butt" design

(08:26 June 14, 2004)

BMW's Bangle gladly takes the heat, remains committed to design direction

By BRADFORD WERNLE | Automotive News Europe

MUNICH -- For a man who has been reviled on the web as a "diabolical super robot sent from the future by Mercedes-Benz to destroy BMW," Chris Bangle is a pretty calm, cool and collected guy.

Despite the scathing criticisms he's received, BMW's controversial design chief remains resolutely committed to design that looks forward. Retro and Chris Bangle do not go together. He is pleased that some of his critics are beginning to grudgingly approve of some of BMW's futuristic styling.

Interviewed in the design theater at BMW's engineering center in Munich, Bangle has put the new 1 Series on display for the session. His eyes continually stray to the new car, which he is clearly proud of.

Contrary to some industry rumors, Bangle says he has no intention to leave BMW any time soon.

This in spite of the fact that Adrian van Hooydonk of BMW's Design Works in Los Angeles has been named to be head of BMW brand design. The job is a new title, Bangle says.

Bangle says he was doing two jobs -- heading design for BMW brand and for BMW Group, which includes Mini and Rolls-Royce. With Van Hooydonk on board, Bangle will be free to do his job as group design chief.

"What was missing until now was to get all the players on my team that could be responsible for their various marques," he says. "Adrian will come into a role that did not exist before. There was not the role of just the BMW car design chief."

Bangle points out that a car company's designs, particularly BMW, are not the work of any one man. BMW's designs are the result of extensive research into form, a well-thought-out corporate philosophy and a committed team effort.

He knows not everyone likes BMW's designs but he is gratified that some critics seem to be changing their minds.

The New York Times once said of Bangle: "Many devotees view him as an interloping artiste sullying the exalted Bimmer by trying to foist on it his version of hipness."

Asked whether the anti-Bangle websites and relentless criticism bothered him, Bangle says: "You can only say 'all right, I have a good positive attitude,' remember what you're doing and that you did it for a reason. You did it with a lot of people who support you and you support them. They're looking to you for an example, to show some kind of fiber."

Bangle is comfortable taking the heat. He relishes his new job as group design chief overseeing BMW, Rolls-Royce and Mini. "A very important part of what a group design chief should do is work on the people balance. We have a philosophy here at BMW of trying to get the most out of a single designer on a car instead of taking a car and splitting it up among 20 people."

Bangle first became the flashpoint of criticism when the radical 7 Series appeared in 2001. The 7 Series was the first to feature the so-called "Bangle butt."

The BMW desgin chief remembers the atmosphere in which the 7 Series launch was planned.

"As we got closer to the launch communication of the car, it was heading into that famous year 2000 wall [Y2K], which was the peak of retro. You never heard the word emotion coming from designers like you do now. There was a fear of technology, a fear of change. A fear of moving forward is naturally a part of a century change. Don't forget, we were all afraid our toasters were going in league with our refrigerators."

With its iDrive controller system and its sculpted exterior, the 7 Series was "quite honestly a large jump for the company," Bangle says. He denies the forthcoming 7 series facelift is being done in response to criticism.

"The 7 Series is no different than any other product. When the right time comes in its product cycle, it will also get its treatment."

With its newest BMW model, the 1 Series, BMW wants to prove that small cars can be premium cars.

"This car does the job of premium, not the same way as the Mini, but more in the way of a classic BMW. The drive dynamic, the whole package has the look and feel that tells you it's about serious professionalism at work."

Looking at the 1 Series wagon admiringly, he says: "That car's a rocket. That car is just tearing off. With front-engine, rear-drive proportions, that's what you do. When you look at the car from the side for any length of time, you realize you've never seen a car with those proportions."

Bangle has had the backing of the BMW management board throughout his turbulent tenure.

But he prefers talking about the future to talking about the past. At the moment, he's thinking a lot about China, where BMW just opened an assembly plant.

Bangle is intrigued to see what kinds of vehicles Chinese customers will want.

He believes the future of car design is evolving rapidly in the face of new technology, relentless competition, and ever more sophisticated consumers.

"We've gone through three major phases in the 100 odd years of personal motor vehicle that changed the look and feel of cars. We could easily be entering a new fourth phase. But, we have to get this industry focused on how to make cars differently. And, I'm saying this not just so that designers can have new toys to play with. I'm saying this because the demands of our customers are so high and the demands of the marketplace are so intense."
Old 06-14-2004, 01:43 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Viva La Bangle!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

The new BMWs seem like natural and fitting progression from the previous model.

And the best thing about the new 7-series is C-pillar back, esp the trunk... too bad the quality is sub-par.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, saw that article at Autoweek today and thought..."nothing new here". I think I should merge all the Bangle-related threads into one though...
Old 06-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

"diabolical super robot sent from the future by Mercedes-Benz to destroy BMW,"
Old 06-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Chris Bangle explains how BMW expanded its range by changing design - - By LUCA CIFERRI | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

The BMW group believes it will reach its 2008 target of selling 1.4 million vehicles a year worldwide by 2007. The automaker is confident because last year it sold 1.33 million vehicles worldwide under its BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce brands, up 9.9 percent.

With the 1.4 million goal in sight, CEO Helmut Panke has set an even more ambitious target for 2010: 1.6 million global sales. That would mean a doubling in volume during this decade.

One reason for the fast growth is BMW's ability to make people instantly fall in love with its new model lines. The Mini and the BMW X5, X3 and 1 series all were hot sellers from the moment they reached showrooms.

Automotive News Europe Chief Correspondent Luca Ciferri asked BMW group design director Chris Bangle to explain how the automaker successfully overhauled and expanded its range.
How come BMW almost never gets a new model wrong?

I believe that the consistent successes of recent years are the result of our process for defining and developing new products, which we divide into three phases: understanding, believing and seeing.

Let's look at them in order. What do you mean by understanding?

It's a phase that takes one or two years. Many people call it the concept phase, but I prefer to call it the understanding phase. We try to understand what BMW should be offering. Therefore, we talk to customers, study market research and look at forecasts for demographic and consumption development.

Is designing done during this phase?

We design and build scale and full-sized models. But our attention isn't so much on form as on the architecture, proportions, space and accessibility.

Do you assess the industrial and economic feasibility of the project during this phase?

Certainly, that is very important. Many other companies start designing a new model and simultaneously have to choose the platform and possibly also convince management on the stylistic direction. At the BMW group, all these decisions are made before the actual design phase begins.

Is the project approved once the understanding phase is completed?

Usually, yes. Then in the second phase, which we call believing, we get down to the real design competition. We begin from the architecture chosen during the understanding phase and transform it into the final model that eventually goes into production.

How long does your actual design phase last?

Between one year and 18 months. But it's difficult to generalize because the design competition involves at least two different styling models. But the average is 10. For the previous 3 series, we were working with 15 different designs.

Do you bring in outside design consultants?

We almost never do it now for production cars. Nowadays design is absolutely brand-centric, and there is no one better equipped to preserve and interpret a brand's values than its in-house design center. This is the trend among all the premium automakers, not just BMW. At most, we'll ask for external contributions during the understanding phase to see if a different or more interesting interpretation of the architecture or proportions of a new model can come from outside.

The final phase is seeing. Seeing what?

Technically, it's called surface refinement. The form has been finalized. Any changes are no longer in the order of centimeters but just a few millimeters. Almost maniacally, we analyze every single joint, every line, to see if, while retaining the same general form, the refinement of that detail can provide an added value.

How long does the creative process last?

From the first sketches during the understanding phase to the beginning of production, we're looking at around seven years. But during the last 24 months, the designer can only intervene in details. Otherwise, every change would result in delaying the product launch.

They're not flops, but the two generations of the BMW 3-series hatchbacks have not really won over customers. Why?

I would say that during the understanding phase, we didn't properly grasp how to create a smaller BMW than the 3-series sedan. The solution seemed obvious: shorten the tail. But by shortening the panels at the back, we produced a compact car that is only a shorter 3 series when seen from the side. From the front, it has the same proportions.

So the 1 series was the result of a better-executed understanding phase?

Exactly. The 3-series sedan and the 1 series have technical and component commonalities but no aesthetic similarities. Not only do the sides have completely different proportions, since the 1 series is a true hatchback; but when seen from the front, the 1 series also is immediately recognizable as different from the 3 series.

What did you do to change the look of the 1 series' front?

We worked in a different way with the positioning of the A-pillars, which on the 1 series are farther back and more vertical than on the 3 series.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

How come BMW almost never gets a new model wrong?
Because it does not have to develop "the next Camry, Accord or Malibu". It aint easy.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
BMW: Bangle Quits **Speculation on Departure (page 1)**

From Leftlanenews...

Chris Bangle, the often controversial BMW Group head of design who has essentially become a household name for millions of enthusiasts across the world, has announced that he will be leaving the German automaker to “pursue his own design-related endeavors beyond the auto industry,” according to a release issued earlier today.

Bangle’s departure comes as a surprise to many in the industry because, despite his polarizing designs across the BMW lineup, his projects have generally been met with commercial success and he is well-revered within BMW circles.

Adrian van Hooydonk, head of design for the BMW brand, will succeed Bangle effective immediately.

Bangle’s unique surface detailing has become a staple of the BMW lineup, though more recent designs - such as the all-new 7-Series - have been toned down compared to his earlier designs, like the current 6-Series.

As more information regarding Bangle’s rather abrupt departure becomes available, we’ll continue to update you.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Old 02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Now who will the other manufacturers steal design cues from.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
It wasn't all bad though...the E92 coupes are an example.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Hummm. Now will they get worse or better?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
wow, that's something.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope he will not be designing houses
Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Now who will the other manufacturers steal design cues from.

Bangle was ahead of the curve...for better and for worse.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nokiaman
It wasn't all bad though...the E92 coupes are an example.
I thought van Hooydonk designed the new 3 series.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
The Third Ball

:jesusl ol::dan ce:
Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
About time...now maybe BMW will design nice looking cars like they used to. The only good looking car in the entire line up is the 3 Series coupe, and it's not great.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
:jesusl ol::dan ce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8f5QRVqR-g
Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
The Third Ball

I loved that commercial
Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by sipark
I thought van Hooydonk designed the new 3 series.
I stand corrected. According to World Car Fans, he designed the Z3, Z4, Z8, X5, X6, 6 Series, and the 1 Series. He also headed and approved the 3, 5 and 7 series.

Like many people, I wasn't one to praise his designer skills but there is no denying that he did influence a lot of current cars. Add me on the list of people who are eager to see what the dutchman has in store for us.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by nokiaman
I stand corrected. According to World Car Fans, he designed the Z3, Z4, Z8, X5, X6, 6 Series, and the 1 Series. He also headed and approved the 3, 5 and 7 series.

Like many people, I wasn't one to praise his designer skills but there is no denying that he did influence a lot of current cars. Add me on the list of people who are eager to see what the dutchman has in store for us.
In addition, Bangle stood behind and pushed heavily for the the original design of Frank Stephenson’s MINI concept, and basically helped create the modern MINI Cooper (R50).
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
He was very hit and miss for me...for every ugly car he designed, he made a beauty. So, go figure.

I hated his 5-series...but, take the M-Coupe. Gorgeous. 6-series was nice too. Did he design the X3...? Cuz that thing is hideous.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Good riddance. Aside from the new 3-series coupe, I like the predecessors of the current BMW lineup more than the current models themselves, styling-wise. Its hard to beat such timeless designs like the E39 and E38 but still.... the current 5-series is too feminine in appearance, and I've always disliked the new 7.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumchah
He was very hit and miss for me...for every ugly car he designed, he made a beauty. So, go figure.

I hated his 5-series...but, take the M-Coupe. Gorgeous. 6-series was nice too. Did he design the X3...? Cuz that thing is hideous.
It could be a whole lot worse.....take for instance the Acura designers:
"Swing and a miss" on every model.

Bangle Butt > Acura Beak
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i think bangle is the most talented designer out there. this is coming from an architect.

anyone who thinks his cars lack form have no clue what they are talking about. i am not saying all of his designs are great, but they are perfectly logical, especially compared to the nonsense gimmicks other companies put out.

i dont think he was included in the new Z4 team...and that car came out fantastic. no worries for BMWs future.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
It could be a whole lot worse.....take for instance the Acura designers:
"Swing and a miss" on every model.

Bangle Butt > Acura Beak

Sadly the RL has both atrocities on it
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Race Director

I like most of his designs.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Bangle had some influential designs (love it or hate it). I was never a BMW fan when he took over the reigns of the design studio but at least he did something original and really didn't design anything (or approve any design) as hideous as the 4th gen TL.

Quick Reply: BMW: Chris Bangle news **Speculation on Departure (page 6)**