BMW: Chris Bangle news **Speculation on Departure (page 6)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by soopa
i like every BMW hes waved his wand at.

bangle is an artistic genious... and has balls of steel.

BMWs lineup is a work or art.
the theme of his styles have congruancy.....that isn't easily achieved...as many of the cars we've seen from many manufacturers look so bad....HOWEVER, just because something is artistically sound.....it doesn't make it look GOOD. Yes, Bangal does have some gutz.

i'm sure we'll continue to disagree.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:34 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
bad my point is... to me... and many... it looks awesome.

but... the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by soopa
bad my point is... to me... and many... it looks awesome.

but... the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

agreed.....although his tweaks on the 7 series were improved the looks by leaps and bounds.

I just wish he would go through these version releases before the car hits the market and not after the fact
Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think the z4 was a really cool design, and thats basically the only thing i like. Did bangle influence the iDrive system?

i dont think bmw was every "about" styling for the future. Its about concervative, masculine styling.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Kabachitare!

I still like the previous generation 5 and 7 series better. The new versions remind me of women wearing too much make-up.

In the new 5 series the over-styling of the front and back just degrades the overall look of the car IMHO.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:37 PM
hail to the victors

i agree with soopa. bangle is brilliant! i like his new designs way better than the old!! well, i agree that the new 3 series is weird. i hope they make some changes. it would be just too hard to come up with something better than the current 3 series. but what is so good about the last gen 5 series? i thought it was just too boring. presence? what presence? it is freakin' old people's car!!!! but this new 5 series has more range to attract lots of people including me if i had $. z4 looks better than z3, also new 7 series looks much better. it is a big step up from the rest of boring saloons, and i'm lovin' it!! also, M4 looks brilliant, and 6 series looks awesome even though he didn't design them. also, i still don't understand why people don't like the new interiors. it is much better than the last gen's outdated dash!
Old 01-17-2004, 01:12 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,973 Likes on 2,648 Posts
Originally posted by chungkopi
i hope they make some changes. it would be just too hard to come up with something better than the current 3 series. but what is so good about the last gen 5 series? i thought it was just too boring. presence? what presence? it is freakin' old people's car!!!! also, i still don't understand why people don't like the new interiors. it is much better than the last gen's outdated dash!
1) the current 3 series is one of the best looking sedans ever, especially the M3, its sporty, yet classy and very muscular.

2) The last gen 5 series was so classy and slick. It had a presence without being obnoxious. It knew what kind of car i was without having to try and standout in a crowd, and yet it always managed to do so. Again even more enhanced with the M5

3) Most the new interiors are non-functional. They are trying to hard to be art rather then being part of a "drivers" car. And since BMW is supposed to be the ultimate driving machine the interior should be catered toward the driver (and it always had been.) but now (at least with the new 5) there is tons of wasted space, bad layout, horrid interface, and werid sculpturing that not only looks bad but serves no purpose. The new TL, TSX, Accord, upcoming GS and slew of others beat the shit out of the new 5s interiors in both form and function.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i agree with soopa. bangle is brilliant! i like his new designs way better than the old!! well, i agree that the new 3 series is weird. i hope they make some changes. it would be just too hard to come up with something better than the current 3 series. but what is so good about the last gen 5 series? i thought it was just too boring. presence? what presence? it is freakin' old people's car!!!! but this new 5 series has more range to attract lots of people including me if i had $. z4 looks better than z3, also new 7 series looks much better. it is a big step up from the rest of boring saloons, and i'm lovin' it!! also, M4 looks brilliant, and 6 series looks awesome even though he didn't design them. also, i still don't understand why people don't like the new interiors. it is much better than the last gen's outdated dash!
1- 5 series a young persons car?????? All i see in the drivers seat of 5 series is middle aged males and females. Hence old persons car.

2- 6 series looks worse than the GTO if that's even possible.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:26 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by sarlacc23

2) The last gen 5 series was so classy and slick. It had a presence without being obnoxious. It knew what kind of car i was without having to try and standout in a crowd, and yet it always managed to do so. Again even more enhanced with the M5
very well put
Old 01-17-2004, 01:26 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by Zapata
1- 5 series a young persons car?????? All i see in the drivers seat of 5 series is middle aged males and females. Hence old persons car.

1- First car I bought was an old 85 528 at 17, and one best friends is now 27 and drives an 02 540 6spd I know there always exceptions to the norm

2- GTO just looks boring as hell. And I would hate on the 6 so much, but like every other bimmer bangle fucked up the headlights and the signature grill (which ruins it for me.) I dont even mind the interior so much on that one. BUT its still no 8 series
Old 01-17-2004, 11:05 PM
4dr & I like it that way

Originally posted by sarlacc23
1) the current 3 series is one of the best looking sedans ever, especially the M3, its sporty, yet classy and very muscular.

3) Most the new interiors are non-functional. They are trying to hard to be art rather then being part of a "drivers" car. And since BMW is supposed to be the ultimate driving machine the interior should be catered toward the driver (and it always had been.) but now (at least with the new 5) there is tons of wasted space, bad layout, horrid interface, and werid sculpturing that not only looks bad but serves no purpose. The new TL, TSX, Accord, upcoming GS and slew of others beat the shit out of the new 5s interiors in both form and function.
bring back the guy who designed the generation before bangle for the exteriors and get someone completely new to do the interiors.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Kabachitare!

werd
Old 01-17-2004, 11:56 PM
hail to the victors

Originally posted by Zapata

GTO is better than 6 series? what are you smokin?

Old 01-17-2004, 11:58 PM
hail to the victors

no way this is better looking than 6 series
Old 01-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
zapata likes bland looking cars, thatsthe reason hes on his 2nd CLS
Old 01-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
zapata likes bland looking cars, thatsthe reason hes on his 2nd CLS

don't get me wrong, bungle....uh i mean bangle did a awesome job with the z4 and the 7 series .
Old 01-18-2004, 06:50 AM
I'm late.

I have no problem with any of the front ends of what Bangle has done, but I think the rear on every car he has touched (except the Z4) has turned to absolute shit. Watch the Top Gear episode where they reviewed the 6-series, he points out that when you open the trunk of the car, it's a fucking Porsche.

How original.

Bangle might be an artist and all, I have no problem with the new Lexus/Toyota like move of pulling back the headlights, but the rears are so ugly, it makes me sad to see the upcoming M5 have such a nice engine with such a disgusting ass rear.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by goldmember
it's a fucking Porsche.

How original.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

This is great news for BMW. I have said for years that Chris Bangle has degraded the whole BMW brand. My father had a 98 740iL and it was the best car he owned. When it was time for the new (745) to come out, my dad put a deposit down for one without seeing the car. When he saw the car, he got his deposit back and bought a 330i. The new 7 and 5 are UGLIER than the previous generations vehicles they replaced. Not only has the exterior design become ugly, but the new interior's are NOT functional and not what I would expect from a "drivers car".
Old 01-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Maximized
This is great news for BMW. I have said for years that Chris Bangle has degraded the whole BMW brand. My father had a 98 740iL and it was the best car he owned. When it was time for the new (745) to come out, my dad put a deposit down for one without seeing the car. When he saw the car, he got his deposit back and bought a 330i. The new 7 and 5 are UGLIER than the previous generations vehicles they replaced. Not only has the exterior design become ugly, but the new interior's are NOT functional and not what I would expect from a "drivers car".

well put....
Old 01-18-2004, 06:21 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by Maximized
Isnt this exactly what I had said earlier in the thread?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:48 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm lovin' it!!
haha, he said "I'm loving it"

Actually I like the new Z4 and the 7. I like the 6 as well. I do prefer the e39 5 better though as well as the E46 3.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:06 PM
The hair says it all

Heres my take on it. Car enthusiasts are the first to trade in styling for preformance. Most of BMW's target is not preformance enthusiasts, and care more about how the car looks. seeing as how it seems less then 1/2 of the people like some of the new designs, and not 1 person likes EVERY car he has produced (which is not the case with the old ones), they probably scaring off a lot of potential buyers.

also they need to re-think their market stratagy, because a cheap bmw degrades their image (as someone said)
Old 01-21-2004, 11:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Chris Bangle: Out at BMW?

Stole this from A-CL.com

From AutoSpies:

Unfortunately, they didn't credit us for breaking this story last spring...

BANGLE ON HIS WAY OUT

Highlights from the article...

It looks as though the controversial relationship between BMW and its chief designer,Chris Bangle,could be coming to the end of the road,Auto Express can exclusively reveal.

While the flamboyant stylists radical remake of the German company's range has divided opinion across the car world,BMW has remained fiercely loyal to him.Now however there are rumours that the American,whom we interviewed exclusively back in issue 773,will step down from the hot seat in less than a years time.

According to our source at BMW HQ in Munich,word has it that Bangle will stay for the Global launch of the 1 Series this aut,before declaring that his daring brand rethink is complete and that the time has come for a new design boss to take over.

The fact that Bangle's far reaching overhaul of BMW's family identity is now nearly complete is not the only sign that the Americans influence in the boardroom is slipping.Our spies have told us that re-engineered and facelifted X5 was originaly destined to sport a new nose with radically angled headlamps,not unlike those fitted to the new 5 series.

One insider said he saw the finnished model 2 years ago,but by the time the car was unveiled at last September's Frankfurt Motor Show the adventurous look had been mysteriously dropped in favour of a more conservative style.This suggested that some in the BMW hierarchy aren't happy.

Now a revamped 7 series has reportedly suffered the same fate.The car was expected to adopt new headlamps and a revised tail.And even though a prototype was seen running last spring,the model has yet to be launched.

Auto Spies perspective: He's one of the best and nicest in the business but product results are everything and we think the products could look a lot better across the board...It could signal the end of BMW's "Go ugly early" design strategy.

And here's our first big prediction for 2004...If this is true we predict Henrik Fisker will return to run BMW's design group (Z8, Aston DB9 designer, etc. now at Ford). He's the best in the business right now and BMW is where he should be...our .02

If this is true, its about freakin time.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 AM
More On

Hey, 20 minutes and nobody gives a shit about this yet!

Just wait though.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Ouch (if it's true). :P
Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Even if this is true, BMW will still ahve to stay the course with these Mangled designs, at least for a few more years. I'd guess each model will see some minor changes for a few years until they're back to normal.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:53 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Re: Chris Bangle: Out at BMW?

Originally posted by domn
Old 01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
More On

Can't wait till tsx-mdxman sees this.
He's not exactly Bangle's biggest fan.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Über Geek

Chris Bangle OUT at BMW?

Well, I care.
If Chris Bangle wants to express his sexuality at BMW, that's just dandy. You go, girlfriend.

In fact, ANY designer should be free to be out at ANY car maker.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:29 PM
bleh...

Re: Chris Bangle: Out at BMW?

Originally posted by domn

hopefully this is true, but like others said its going to be some time before BMW gets back on the right track with their designs.

I don't know if this is true or not, but did Bangle design the E30 and E36 BMWs?

Old 01-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Teh ?

The reprecussions of Bangle's experiment at BMW will probably last at least another 3 to 5 years, since some of his latest designs are just being introduced into production. It will be interesting who they go after in replacing Bangle. We discussed this in another thread, but if BMW searches within it's design studio for a new head, it might end up with some of Bangle's protoges ending up at top. That would mean that BMW will still end up with either a weird design direction or just go back to the stoic designs they perfected in the 90's.
My hope is that BMW select from one of the independent studios to head their design team. I think those types of designers, who work on creating one-offs of many brands, would recognize the design heritage of BMW and design accordingly, without creating too much change all at once. BMW has gone outside of it's own design studio in the past for a car, and if they are serious about replacing Bangle, than I think they should look towards Italy.

Junkster, whose wondering if Bangle will be hired to head another brand anytime soon.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:47 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I wonder how history will view the bangle designs. Often times something disliked is one day praised.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 PM
More On

Originally posted by Junkster
....Junkster, whose wondering if Bangle will be hired to head another brand anytime soon.
He'll become first assistant to Frank Gehry, the architect who did the Guggehmeim Museum in Bilbao, Spain among other things:

http://www.GreatBuildings.com/cgi-bi...bilbao_001.gbi
Old 01-21-2004, 12:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fdl
I wonder how history will view the bangle designs. Often times something disliked is one day praised.
They one day may say that he was ahead of his time etc, etc....blah, blah. But the cars will always be ugly.

BTW, I've seen the bew 5 in person and I kind of liked it, except the back.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah..

This just in...

Chris Bangle has been hired by Honda!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:05 PM
bleh...

Originally posted by 7or8
This just in...

If Bangle lead Honda's design team then it looks like Honda's designs will down hill! If it hasn't already with the new Accord, Civic Si hatch, and Honda SUT.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 7or8
This just in...

Any idea when he'll begin his training? Those Honda/Acura designers have a lot to teach.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah..

He got hired as a janitor at the N. Carolina plant.

Quick Reply: BMW: Chris Bangle news **Speculation on Departure (page 6)**