Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
S5 gets 3.0T for 2011
That's a smart move.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
No more gas guzzler tax for the S5, then?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
If they had let journalist tried the prototype. They fairly close to produciton. possibly 2012 model year.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...totype/242969/
Audi A5 lightweight prototype
Test date Monday, September 07, 2009 Price as tested TBA
What is it?
Audi’s experimental lightweight version of the A5 coupe. The standard A5 is built around a conventional steel monocoque chassis, but this car is built around an aluminium spaceframe chassis, clad in aluminium panels. The boot and bonnet are made from carbonfibre-reinforced plastics.

Under the skin of the prototype is Audi’s familiar 2.0 TSI turbocharged engine, wound up to 208bhp and driving all four wheels.

Audi says this car points the way forward for the company. Aluminium construction will become more common, allowing future cars to benefit from all-round ‘downsizing’.

This means four-cylinder engines instead of sixes, smaller brakes, wheels and tyres, smaller fuel tanks, better economy and – most important – much-improved ride and handling.

This latter claim is said be a consequence of reducing unsprung weight and, for high-performance models, using lighter, shorter engines that sit further back in the engine bay.

Overall this car is 230kg lighter than a standard-issue A5 3.2 V6 quattro, the performance of which Audi says the lightweight coupe can match despite its power shortfall.

Company engineers say the A5’s aluminium spaceframe construction saves around 110kg over the standard car and the carbonfibre lids save around 50kg. Another 25kg is shaved off by using a four-cylinder engine. The final 45kg comes with ‘hybrid’ brake discs (which are made from gray cast iron, bolted to aluminium centres) and new lightweight wheels.

Audi has also embarked on a general programme of shaving back the weight of all under-skin components, introducing plastic clutch pedals and seats backs as well as detail refinements such as superlight exhausts and even aluminium bolts and screws.

What’s it like?
Autocar had a chance to try the two A5s back to back on a few quick laps of the Bosch test track at Boxberg.

The 3.2-litre A5 (thankfully without S-line suspension) was smooth, torquey, brisk and surprisingly agile on switchbacks, though that was partly thanks to the quattro drivetrain and its positive effect on the A5’s weight distribution.

The lightweight A5 was markedly different. Its weight advantage was starkly obvious, resulting in rather less of a GT feel and more that of a nippy hot hatch. And it did change direction more quickly, losing much of the slight ponderousness that remains in even the new-generation, longitudinally engined Audis.

However, the rougher four-cylinder engine and its gruffer soundtrack were at a marked disadvantage to the sweet V6 unit. Although future A5 buyers will appreciate the car’s newfound fleetness, they could miss the cultured response of a big engine and the luxury overtones that are a consequence of weighty chassis responses.

Audi engineers say they are well aware of this problem and promise the next generation of four-cylinder engines will have to be both much smoother and more aurally upmarket.

Sadly, the smooth Bosch track prevent us from making any definitive statement on the claimed improvement in ride quality, but the dramatic lighter brake discs and wheels will be a huge help on broken UK roads.

Should I buy one?
You can’t. At least not for another few years, until the A5 is replaced as part of Audi’s new aluminium platform strategy.

The big issue for the next A5 will be cost, because aluminium is a more costly material than even the most sophisticated steels, a hurdle that will only partly be offset by mass-manufacturing aluminium platforms.

The company could, though, further offset the extra cost of an aluminium body by dropping V8 engines and most of its V6 units, and fitting cheaper downsized motors.

However, the next-generation four-pot engines will have to be sufficiently smooth and burbling to deliver a premium feel. If Audi’s engineers manage that, the gains in agility, performance and fuel economy delivered by the switch to aluminium could become class leading.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
If Audi A8 got successful reception. I am expecting fast replacement of A4 just after new BMW 3 launch.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/243152/
Audi's aluminium revolution
11 September 2009
Audi is poised to switch to lightweight aluminium construction for future models from the A4 upwards.

By the middle of the next decade only the A3 and forthcoming A1 families will be based on conventional steel monocoque chassis.

Click here to see the Audi A8 high resolution spy pictures

Read our first drive of the Audi A5 lightweight prototype

An Audi source told Autocar that the company ‘will shift quite quickly to hybrid aluminium construction’ for the next-generation A6 and A4 models, after rolling it out on the next A8.
The third-generation A8 flagship will be shown later this year and will pioneer the new ‘hybrid aluminium’ construction techniques that will allow Audi to use the lightweight metal for high volume production.

Autocar understands that the new A8 structure uses new construction and manufacturing methods that also be utilised for models lower down the range.

The essence of the structure is large aluminium castings for key areas including the front and rear chassis legs, the front suspension mounts, the base of the A-pillar and the front section of the transmission tunnel

At 1.4m long, the new A8’s rear chassis leg is said to be the largest diecasting in the world. The A8’s door structures are now also cast in one piece

These castings (which are also a crucial element of the safety structure) can apparently be used to underpin all Audi models based around longitudinal engines.

The rest of Audi’s new body structure (including the sills, roof structure and floor sections) is made of inexpensive aluminium extrusions that can be easily cut and bent to size.

However, Audi engineers have introduced additional materials to the new A8’s ‘hybrid aluminium’ platform. The car’s B-pillars are now made from ‘monolithic plate’ steel, which is heated up until it becomes floppy and is then stamped into shape.

This allows Audi engineers to design a B-pillar that has varying wall thickness without going to the expense of using ‘tailored blank’ sheet steel.

Audi is also expected to use lightweight carbon reinforced plastics for the new A8’s bonnet and boot lid. The material – which allows complex shapes to be made in a single moulding - is already used for the Lamborghini Gallardo deck lid and will be used for the upper rear wing of the Audi R8 convertible. Lastly, thin-walled magnesium castings will be used for the A8’s engine cradle.

All of these technologies are expected to be found in the next-generation A6, A4 and upcoming A7 models.

Audi sources say that the constant downward pressure on fuel consumption coming from legislators makes weight saving essential, as does the introduction of hybrid transmissions and heavy battery packs.

Audi pioneered aluminium space frame construction in mainstream cars when it launched the first-generation Audi A8 in 1994, although the ASF programme dated back to 1982.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Audi has some porkers so shedding weight was a must. I see insurance rates soaring as fixing any of this stuff will be real expensive.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Audi has some porkers so shedding weight was a must. I see insurance rates soaring as fixing any of this stuff will be real expensive.
A few years ago, there were only two Audi centers in the US that could perform A8 AL chassis/frame damage repair. One was east coast, other west coast. A neighbor used to have a 2006 A8L and was told that was the reason his insurance went up alot when he went from a 7-series to the Audi.

Wonder where the NSX could be repaired?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
New Audi A4 dash design?

Mysterious Audi Interior
Here are a few photographs of an intriguing new Audi interior. First thought to be the interior of the forthcoming A8, it is now believed to be a new version of the A4 interior. The most noticeable change to the standard A4 interior is the revised instrument panel featuring a large display between the tachometer and speedometer. While the Audi that the interior belongs to will remain a mystery for now, expect to see the new display and gauges coming to an Audi in the future.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't see any pictures?

Is it possible to get a direct link to the website you got the news from?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Sorry. Here's the link with the pics:
http://killwithfire.blogspot.com/200...-interior.html
Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

That display looks pretty cool. Seems to be laid out a little better than what we have in the 2009 models.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Yeah I have the 2010 non-Nav and it's nothing special, I'd love to have this crazy-ass display between the guages.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I'm waiting for the day when our instrument clusters are nothing more than a full LCD that is fully customizeable by the owner of the vehicle.

My dream is the ability for third party manufacturers to have the ability to develop plug-ins that you can install in your car through a store that the manufacturer manages, kinda like iTunes but without Jobs running the show. And then these plug-ins interact with your car and perform specfic tasks you want.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Saw a white S4 yesterday that I think was lowered.

White with Tint FTW
Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
LCD gauges are the future...and in a sense already here.

Ford Fusion Hybrid

Tesla Model S (forthcoming)
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Yeah I was going to say the same thing - the Fusion Hybrid has some pretty kickass things going on in the gauges... you need to see it in action to appreciate it: google (click the youtube vids)

I'll be happy with my '10 A4 (w/ navi)'s display for now
Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by einsatz
Yeah I was going to say the same thing - the Fusion Hybrid has some pretty kickass things going on in the gauges... you need to see it in action to appreciate it: google (click the youtube vids)

I'll be happy with my '10 A4 (w/ navi)'s display for now
Yea, the fusion hybrid dash is very cool.
The whole "green tree" growing as you drive is pretty nifty.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
what do you guys think about B5 S4 Avant with manual tranny... i always wanted AWD or RWD V6 engine with turbo... and i know that car can be easly modified from 250HP to 320-340 with chip and catback only...
Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetKA
what do you guys think about B5 S4 Avant with manual tranny... i always wanted AWD or RWD V6 engine with turbo... and i know that car can be easly modified from 250HP to 320-340 with chip and catback only...
I have just heard of reliability issues on higher mileage ones.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm the Firestarter

2010 Audi A4 2.0T Avant S-line - Short Take Road Test

First time it's been reviewed by C&D in this configuration:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Who says that wagons are uncool and slow?
BY MIKE SUTTON, PHOTOGRAPHY BY JORDAN BROWN
January 2010

Despite the popularity of station wagons in Europe, as well as their greater versatility compared with that of conventional four-door sedans, two-box cars like this Audi A4 2.0T Avant still don’t resonate with most U.S. consumers. Americans for the most part remain tied to visions of Clark Griswold trundling across the country in a puke-green, wood-paneled Ford LTD Country Squire and would rather drive something else. But this country has in fact been in love for the past 20 years with what are essentially wagons. Witness the rise of the SUV and the recent explosion of crossovers—all of which are basically five-door wagons with higher seating positions, greater (but often unused) towing and payload capacities, and cruddier fuel economy.

Move ’Em Out

This Audi, however, makes a great case for the traditional wagon. Although it’s no fire-breathing RS 6 Avant, our A4 Avant was far more maneuverable and exciting to pilot than those SUV and crossover mall cruisers. Based on the A4 sedan, our Avant was fitted with Audi’s excellent 211-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder—the only engine in the A4 lineup for 2010—plus a six-speed automatic and Quattro all-wheel drive. It also had the optional S-line package, which includes a sport suspension, 19-inch wheels with summer rubber, front sport seats, various interior trim upgrades, and S-line bumpers and rocker panels. Thus equipped, the A4 Avant recorded a 6.3-second run to 60 mph and a quarter-mile time of 14.8 at 91 mph, times that beat all the players in our last comparison test of six-cylinder luxury crossovers. Perhaps more important, the Audi’s 0.92 g of skidpad grip blows away that group’s average of 0.80 g, as does its fun-to-drive quotient on back roads. And it’s the same with 70-to-0 braking ability: 159 feet for the A4 wagon versus an average of 174 for the crossovers.

Credit the A4’s lower center of gravity and lighter weight for much of its dynamic ability. At 3840 pounds, it’s less bulky than most luxury all-wheel-drive crossovers with similar interior volumes, a characteristic that also lends the A4 Avant respectable fuel-economy ratings of 21 mpg in the city and 27 on the highway. Although our 18-mpg average is closer to an SUV’s, that was the result of extended bouts of spirited, high-speed driving; we’re averaging a more representative 26 mpg with our long-term A4 2.0T sedan, which is only 177 pounds lighter.

Load ’Em Up

Aside from its reduced heavy-hauling ability, the A4 Avant scores high against SUVs and crossovers in practicality, too. Although it probably will never tackle anything more than a dirt road—it’s not as if most crossovers were any different—the five-door A4 is all-season capable and rather spacious. The Audi’s lower ride height makes loading and unloading cargo a snap, and there’s a generous 28 cubic feet of space behind the back seat and 51 cubes with it folded flat. That capaciousness puts it about on par with an Audi Q5 or Mercedes-Benz GLK-class, but it’s slightly less than that of, say, a Lexus RX. Other, larger crossovers can sport a third row of somewhat inhabitable seats, but the A4 Avant’s two rows should suffice unless what you really need is a minivan or a Chevy Suburban.

Break the Bank

In terms of pricing, the A4 Avant is about $3000 more than a comparable A4 sedan. Well equipped to start at $36,175, our example had that S-line package ($2450) and the $9200 Prestige package—navigation, a Bang & Olufsen sound system, a power liftgate, xenon headlights, LED running lights, heated front seats, Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, and keyless access and ignition, among other bits—bringing the as-tested total to $48,300. That’s not cheap, but the content and the dollars are comparable with those of premium crossovers of similar size. And there’s that whole driving enjoyment thing, which we can’t really put a price on.

For an apples-to-apples comparison, the similarly sized Cadillac CTS sport wagon with all-wheel drive and the 3.0-liter V-6 starts at $40,990. However, the rear-wheel-drive model we previously tested with the 304-hp, 3.6-liter V-6 started at $44,055, was optioned to nearly $55,000, and significantly trailed the Audi in every performance category except 70-to-0 braking, in which it tied the A4’s figure at 159 feet. BMW’s fine 328i sport wagon is comparably priced and the Volvo V70 with a 3.2-liter inline-six starts at $34,400, but the latter is front-drive only and is about as exciting as potting soil.

Win-Win

Unfortunately, premium wagons’ relatively high sticker prices and resulting low volumes aren’t much help in convincing Americans of the body style’s inherent goodness. (Affordable mainstream models would help, but the Toyotas and Fords of the world stopped building them some time ago.) That’s too bad, because this Audi certainly does present a compelling argument in the form of its attractive five-door package—especially with the 19-inch S-line wheels—and great usability and refinement. Tack on the greater efficiency, performance, maneuverability, and driving fun against most traditional crossovers or SUVs, and we’re surprised more people aren’t swayed. Besides, unlike Clark’s old Country Squire, the A4 Avant actually could keep up with a hot blonde in an old Ferrari.

Highs: Sharp looks with S-line package, wonderful interior, five-door versatility with sport-sedan performance.

Lows: Pricey with options, heavy feet make for poor fuel economy, station-wagon stigma.

Top Competitors

BMW 3-series sports wagon
Infiniti EX35
Saab 9-3 SportCombi
Volkswagen Passat wagon
Volvo V50

Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 5-door wagon
PRICE AS TESTED: $48,300 (base price: $36,175)
ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, iron block and aluminum head, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 121 cu in, 1984cc
Power (SAE net): 211 bhp @ 4300 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 258 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 6-speed automatic with manumatic shifting
DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 110.6 in Length: 185.2 in
Width: 71.9 in Height: 56.5 in
Curb weight: 3840 lb
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18.6 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 33.8 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.8 sec @ 91 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g
FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 21/27 mpg
C/D observed: 18 mpg
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

That's a great review.

And that A4 S-Line Prestige is about $10k less than a Q5 with similar equipment (and a 3.2L in the Q).

I'd buy one tomorrow (A4) if I had the money.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:02 AM
AZ Community Team

That is a great review but $48K for a 211HP Audi A4 wagon! Wonder if they'll sell fewer than the RL sales
Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The TSX wagon will be the natural competitor to this - but the volumes are so low that I don't know that anyone will notice.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
That is a great review but $48K for a 211HP Audi A4 wagon! Wonder if they'll sell fewer than the RL sales
The 211 hp is deceiving, it has 258 lb-ft of torque.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by savage
I have just heard of reliability issues on higher mileage ones.

My A6 has 115,000+ and is chipped and has had no issues and is running strong (knocks on wood).
Old 01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by charliemike
That's a great review.

And that A4 S-Line Prestige is about $10k less than a Q5 with similar equipment (and a 3.2L in the Q).

I'd buy one tomorrow (A4) if I had the money.
I just sat in one today and it's really nice. But if VW made a Jetta wagen 4-Motion I'd probably question buying the Audi (which is probably why there isn't one). There's not a whole lot of room back there. I'm reconsidering my affinity for the B8
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I went to Big Bear mountain yesterday in my gf's A4 Avant.....

this car has so much grip! I knew it'd have somewhat great handling capability.. but it was much better than i had expected.

i had so much fun blasting down the hill..
Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Oh yeah. 211 hp number is really deceiving. This car moves pretty well.

Belzebutt, you know APR has sales right now right? $599 for $1200 worth of chipping package.

Stock car with this APR ECU reflash will make this car around 260 hp and 333 tq. AND with improved gas mileage.......

win win?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Oh yeah. 211 hp number is really deceiving. This car moves pretty well.

Belzebutt, you know APR has sales right now right? $599 for $1200 worth of chipping package.

Stock car with this APR ECU reflash will make this car around 260 hp and 333 tq. AND with improved gas mileage.......

win win?
Yeah it sounds like it. Have you seen the guys upgrading the FMIC? It doesn't seem to do as much as I thought it would.

260/333 in a TTS would fucking SCREAM. Oh laws yes
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
I drive a Subata.

TTS... me want and yes... i'll definitely pay $599 right away to make it a little more fun...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
yeah...RS4's are insane with a nice lil chip installed..i've only seen 2 in FL when i was there..i would take any RS model..what do u guys think about the S5? is there a RS5 model?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Honda fanbois don't know what torque is.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3

Sweet.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Sweet.
APR flash is THAT GOOD!

These 2.0T engines are unbelievable.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM
AZ Community Team

A friend's C6 6MT has 400 hp and 400 ftlb, now that's torque and power
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Ahhh, the little Audi baby whining again about any negative comments.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Ahhh, the little Audi baby whining again about any negative comments.

You missed the point of the remark completely.
Your bias is showing.

btw....I don't own an Audi....I'll let the Audi peeps speak for themselves.

...but what I said is true...Honda is absent in the torque department....no doubt about that.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
AZ Community Team

pot, kettle, black, etc.

You missed the point of the remark completely.
Your bias is showing.

btw....I don't own an Audi....I'll let the Audi peeps speak for themselves.

...but what I said is true...Honda is absent in the torque department....no doubt about that.

Quick Reply: Audi: A4, S4, RS4 News