Acura: TSX News

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009 | 09:47 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by iforyou

3.) I guess Acura failed back in the 1996-1999 when they changed from Legend/Vigor to RL/TL/CL. IMO that was the worst time in Acura's history. But when they introduced the 1999 TL, things changed dramatically. And it was followed by the MDX, which was also very successful. So what I'm getting at here is that, back in those days, Acura wasn't really targeting the so-called "Tier-1" market. In other words, did they really spend 20 years in establishing a tier-1 image? IMO, no. They obviously tried something different. Otherwise, the NSX wouldn't be an Acura, the first Legend would have been RWD with V8.

And now, or recently, they have changed their focus and are now trying to be a tier-1 brand. probably due to internal and external competition.

Twenty years back, Honda created a new auto division - an upscale LUXURY auto brand - the Acura. The Acura brand had only one thing in mind - to be a luxury auto brand, and to compete with the BMW and the MB brands. Luxury it was indeed, with the brand's exclusive use of V6 powerplants and premium vehicle price tags, when the Honda vehicles were all powered by small displacement 4-cylinders.

There were no "Tier-1 luxury", "Tier-2 luxury" at that time. Auto brands were either economy-brand, luxury-brand, or exotic-brand. Acura intended to be a luxury brand right from the start. But the Honda brasses overestimated their Acura products. They tried to undercut BMW's and MB's with only V6 and FWD vehicles. No way in hell at that time did Acura realize that even after 20 years, V6 and FWD could only get them this far - which the brand is being recognized as half way between economy and luxury status.

Honda made a grave mistake then. It wasn't ready to launch a luxury brand. It didn't have the proper hardware (V8 and RWD) to play with the luxury brands. Otherwise, the Acura NSX would have a V8 and the first Acura Legend would have V8 and RWD. Do you think Acura wouldn't release a V8 RWD Legend if it had the hardware at that time ? (Well, even now it still doesn't !) But it ventured out anyway, and this is the final result. There is no magic in it, you put out so much and you get back so much.

Throughout these 20 years, the Acura brand continue to limp along as a luxury-wanna-be brand with mostly V6 and FWD vehicles. It had many chances 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago during the auto-booming period to develop and release V8 powerplants and RWD chassis, but Acura blew them all.

After the Honda brasses suddenly woke up recently and realized that the Acura brand wasn't going anywhere to compete with BMW and MB, it created all these "Tier-1", "non-Tier-1", bullshit talks to try to cover up their failures. The failure to introduce V8 when all other luxury competitors were releasing runaway engines. The failure to introduce RWD when the FWD-chassis-handicaps were very apparent in handling high horsepower, and high horsepower is a MUST for luxury vehicles. The failure to release the NSX replacement while leaving the aging NSX rotting dry with a 15-years-old design.

On the contrary, Lexus was smart from the start. It created the same upscale LUXURY division (just like Acura) the following year after Acura, but with the proper hardware (V8 and RWD) to challenge the luxury auto brands. Coupled with proper exterior styling and powerful engines, Lexus has finally succeeded the task.

It is good that Acura has finally come back to reality and has plans to develop V8 powerplants and RWD chassis. Even better would be to bring back the NSX replacement to boost the much needed image. But this current economy crisis will probably push back all these Acura comeback plans. I sincerely hope that with the money saved from leaving F1, Acura can maintain it's "rebirth" plan without further delays.
Old 06-25-2009 | 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

I STILL don't get all the hand-wringing over a V6 TSX.

Acura is trying to give its buyers a choice, something we've all complained wasn't happening at Acura the last few years. Vehicle choice is part of becoming a Tier 1 luxury purveyor. Once the new RL comes out, hopefully with RWD and a V8 option, the process will continue.

Given the choice between the Acura Aztek (aka TL ) FWD tech and the V6 TSX tech at similar prices, I'd get the TSX any day of the week. It looks better, it will probably handle better, and some tech features the TSX doesn't have compared to the TL can be added aftermarket.

Honestly, the TSX and MDX are the only Acuras I'm excited about right now.
Old 06-25-2009 | 08:36 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ I think the V6 would've been appreciated in the first gen TSX, when something like the twin turbo'd 3-series wasn't around, or the greatly revamped Infiniti G Series, etc.

It's not a knock on the TSX V6, per se (IMO), it's the price point compared with what the competition now offers. The V6 is barely adequate in this environment. As others have pointed out the Infiniti makes a VERY compelling argument over a tech packaged V6 TSX. As does the Hyundai Genesis...
Old 06-26-2009 | 01:46 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Twenty years back, Honda created a new auto division - an upscale LUXURY auto brand - the Acura. The Acura brand had only one thing in mind - to be a luxury auto brand, and to compete with the BMW and the MB brands. Luxury it was indeed, with the brand's exclusive use of V6 powerplants and premium vehicle price tags, when the Honda vehicles were all powered by small displacement 4-cylinders.

There were no "Tier-1 luxury", "Tier-2 luxury" at that time. Auto brands were either economy-brand, luxury-brand, or exotic-brand. Acura intended to be a luxury brand right from the start. But the Honda brasses overestimated their Acura products. They tried to undercut BMW's and MB's with only V6 and FWD vehicles. No way in hell at that time did Acura realize that even after 20 years, V6 and FWD could only get them this far - which the brand is being recognized as half way between economy and luxury status.

Honda made a grave mistake then. It wasn't ready to launch a luxury brand. It didn't have the proper hardware (V8 and RWD) to play with the luxury brands. Otherwise, the Acura NSX would have a V8 and the first Acura Legend would have V8 and RWD. Do you think Acura wouldn't release a V8 RWD Legend if it had the hardware at that time ? (Well, even now it still doesn't !) But it ventured out anyway, and this is the final result. There is no magic in it, you put out so much and you get back so much.

Throughout these 20 years, the Acura brand continue to limp along as a luxury-wanna-be brand with mostly V6 and FWD vehicles. It had many chances 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago during the auto-booming period to develop and release V8 powerplants and RWD chassis, but Acura blew them all.

After the Honda brasses suddenly woke up recently and realized that the Acura brand wasn't going anywhere to compete with BMW and MB, it created all these "Tier-1", "non-Tier-1", bullshit talks to try to cover up their failures. The failure to introduce V8 when all other luxury competitors were releasing runaway engines. The failure to introduce RWD when the FWD-chassis-handicaps were very apparent in handling high horsepower, and high horsepower is a MUST for luxury vehicles. The failure to release the NSX replacement while leaving the aging NSX rotting dry with a 15-years-old design.

On the contrary, Lexus was smart from the start. It created the same upscale LUXURY division (just like Acura) the following year after Acura, but with the proper hardware (V8 and RWD) to challenge the luxury auto brands. Coupled with proper exterior styling and powerful engines, Lexus has finally succeeded the task.

It is good that Acura has finally come back to reality and has plans to develop V8 powerplants and RWD chassis. Even better would be to bring back the NSX replacement to boost the much needed image. But this current economy crisis will probably push back all these Acura comeback plans. I sincerely hope that with the money saved from leaving F1, Acura can maintain it's "rebirth" plan without further delays.
This is exactly why I said "Of course that was just my opinion and I totally understand why some people think otherwise." Just different ways of seeing things.

IMO, Honda purposely didn't make a V8/RWD car when they first introduced Acura. I'm saying this because, Soichiro Honda was still around back then, and he always did things differently. And for the first 10 years or so, Acura wasn't doing badly, and the brand image was pretty good too. If I remember correctly, the Legend wasn't exactly cheap back then (a friend of mine had one and he told me his dad bought it brand it for around $60k CAD). Then they screwed up in 1996.

Lexus certainly did well with its V8 RWD LS. But Infiniti was pretty much doing the same thing too, yet it was pretty much a complete failure. They also had powerful engines, etc. Yet they still failed. I mean, how many Q45's do you see on the road, compared to the LS, or how many I30/I35, compared to the ES? Sure, V8 and RWD are essential, but seems to me there are many other factors.
Old 06-26-2009 | 03:19 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by iforyou

Lexus certainly did well with its V8 RWD LS. But Infiniti was pretty much doing the same thing too, yet it was pretty much a complete failure. They also had powerful engines, etc. Yet they still failed. I mean, how many Q45's do you see on the road, compared to the LS, or how many I30/I35, compared to the ES? Sure, V8 and RWD are essential, but seems to me there are many other factors.
Exterior styling is also very important for luxury vehicles when buyers are spending premium prices for them. It was a well known fact that the Q45's "no front grille" styling had turned away many buyers. The car was a technological wonder at that time, but it's exterior styling made the car look inexpensive. Infiniti immediately corrected this styling deficiency in the 2nd generation and following releases, but the model name was ruined. So when sales did pick up afterward, it was no where close to where the Lexus LS was selling.

On the other hand, the Lexus LS400 highly mimicked the MB styling, especially the big rectangular front grille with which everyone was accustom to associate with expensive cars. Hyundai is also taking this approach with the Genesis sedan, even though quality-wise isn't at the same level.

I agree with you that there are many other factors, in addition to V8 and RWD, to allow a luxury-auto-brand candidate to become successful.

V8 and RWD are simply some of the essential elements for a luxury-auto-brand candidate to become successful. Having V8 and RWD does not automatically make the luxury-auto-brand candidate to succeed. But NOT having V8 and RWD guarantees that luxury-auto-brand candidate will FAIL.
Old 06-26-2009 | 05:59 AM
Race Director

Hyundai is also taking this approach with the Genesis sedan, even though quality-wise isn't at the same level.
Biker, who is just waiting for the Korean fanbois to come out of the woodwork on this one.....
Old 06-26-2009 | 08:22 AM
Pinky all stinky

^ I believe there are 3 now.
Old 06-27-2009 | 12:17 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Exterior styling is also very important for luxury vehicles when buyers are spending premium prices for them. It was a well known fact that the Q45's "no front grille" styling had turned away many buyers. The car was a technological wonder at that time, but it's exterior styling made the car look inexpensive. Infiniti immediately corrected this styling deficiency in the 2nd generation and following releases, but the model name was ruined. So when sales did pick up afterward, it was no where close to where the Lexus LS was selling.

On the other hand, the Lexus LS400 highly mimicked the MB styling, especially the big rectangular front grille with which everyone was accustom to associate with expensive cars. Hyundai is also taking this approach with the Genesis sedan, even though quality-wise isn't at the same level.

I agree with you that there are many other factors, in addition to V8 and RWD, to allow a luxury-auto-brand candidate to become successful.

V8 and RWD are simply some of the essential elements for a luxury-auto-brand candidate to become successful. Having V8 and RWD does not automatically make the luxury-auto-brand candidate to succeed. But NOT having V8 and RWD guarantees that luxury-auto-brand candidate will FAIL.
It seems like we have finally come to an agreement
Old 06-27-2009 | 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by biker
Biker, who is just waiting for the Korean fanbois to come out of the woodwork on this one.....
Hyundai is easily better than Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Bentley and Lamborghini. Why would you buy any of those cars when you could easily afford a Hyundai? [/msl82]
Old 06-27-2009 | 09:27 AM
Pro

I never even knew that Hyundai/Kia had reached the point of having fanboys. I like the Genesis Coupe, but lets not get carried away.
Old 06-27-2009 | 06:05 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Hyundai is easily better than Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Bentley and Lamborghini. Why would you buy any of those cars when you could easily afford a Hyundai? [/msl82]
A lot of people buy Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Bentley and Lamborghini just for the brand name and not for the car. Would you prefer a Hyundai or rather have a Mercedes Benz sitting on your driveway ? That's the whole point of luxury brands.
Old 06-28-2009 | 10:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Edward, I Go To Costco was being sarcastic, as you can see he was trying to be msl82 but I guess he didn't do it properly (you see [/msl82] at the end of his sentence).
Old 07-29-2009 | 02:56 PM

Hmmm didn't even know they were going to offer the TSX with a v6, and 280hp
Old 07-29-2009 | 03:42 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Hmmm didn't even know they were going to offer the TSX with a v6, and 280hp
It was first-drive reviewed in Autoweek a couple of issues ago-- http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...IEWS/906059995

0-60 in 7 seconds, per Acura's "conservative estimate," for a 3700 lb. TSX.
The 2G TSX appears to be taking the place of the 3G TL (in Acura marketing's mind, at least).
Old 07-29-2009 | 11:37 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol, no kidding..I have no idea why they are so conservative when both motortrend and road & track were able to get 0-60mph in 5.9s.
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

TSX Wagon in the cards?!?!?

Though station wagons have not been much of a hit in North America since SUVs took over the road, Acura is reportedly researching importing a five-door version of its TSX based heavily on the European market Honda Accord wagon. Designed to compete in a limited market that includes the BMW 3-Series wagon, Saab 9-3 SportCombi and Audi A4, the TSX wagon would provide Acura with a so-called “anti-SUV.”

“We’re closely, closely looking at it,” Acura Senior Product Planning Manager John Watts said during a recent interview with Car and Driver, suggesting that younger Gen Y buyers are the target buyers. “Boomers, and [the older among] Gen X, who had wagons as kids don’t want one, but the new kids do.”

The TSX wagon would be based heavily on the European market’s Honda Accord wagon. The TSX sedan is essentially a rebadged and very mildly modified foreign market Accord sedan. The North American Accord shares very little with its European namesake.

Despite its two SUV offerings, Acura would position the TSX as a more efficient alternative to models like the MDX and RDX.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-a...tml#more-20268
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:29 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

So explain to me... with the TSX now offered in V6 trim, why would I ever buy a TL again?
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd buy it. It would be so much easier to put my bike in the back of this thing rather than the sedan, which is extremely tight. And I don't really want an SUV.
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
So explain to me... with the TSX now offered in V6 trim, why would I ever buy a TL again?
I'd buy it. It would be so much easier to put my bike in the back of this thing rather than the sedan, which is extremely tight. And I don't really want an SUV.
I don't think he was referring to the wagon, but just the TSX in general with v6.
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Memo to Honda:

Bring the Euro-Accord Wagon stateside.....call it an Acura if you want....nobody cares.....but do it!!!!........now part 2 of memo: Kill the Crosstour!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ Yeah I know, I was talking about the wagon. His post wasn't there when I started typing my reply.
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:56 PM
Team Owner

^^ Yeah I know, I was talking about the wagon. His post wasn't there when I started typing my reply.
ahhhh,
Old 08-11-2009 | 02:23 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Please bring the TSX wagon!
Old 08-11-2009 | 03:39 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ seriously.
Old 08-11-2009 | 04:11 PM

If i were to get another Acura I would probably be the v6 TSX. But I'm keeping my 3g TL until the wheels fall of... Ehh the engine falls off or I start making more money.
Old 08-11-2009 | 04:52 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If it will look as good as I can chop it....I might get one too.
...except for the beak

Old 08-11-2009 | 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

I think you just stole those thoughts from my mind.

Big x 2

HAS to have a manual though,........or no dice.
Old 08-11-2009 | 06:29 PM
Race Director

The local Honda dealer in Vienna has the Accord Tourer as the loaner car -looks quite good in person -but of course it's not cursed with the Acura beak.

Designed to compete in a limited market that includes the BMW 3-Series wagon, Saab 9-3 SportCombi and Audi A4, the TSX wagon would provide Acura with a so-called “anti-SUV.”
Saab already has dismal sales and their wagon sells like nothing Acura should go for the safety angle and try get the old Volvo D240 (or V70 now) wagon crowd.
Old 08-11-2009 | 07:08 PM
fap fap fap

do want wagon
Old 08-11-2009 | 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
...except for the beak

did you really make that image?
Old 08-12-2009 | 08:02 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

...except for the beak

Even with the beak, it still looks better than the ZDX, which is based on the Tourer.
Old 08-12-2009 | 09:17 AM
Race Director

would the TSX wagon come in both 4 cylinder and V6, 6 speed manual, and maybe AWD?
Old 08-12-2009 | 10:23 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Mizouse
did you really make that image?

Swap out the Euro front...swap at the euro tails....pretty simple...still says "Accord" in very small letters on the rear...but I did add the TSX plates.
Old 08-12-2009 | 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mokos23
would the TSX wagon come in both 4 cylinder and V6, 6 speed manual, and maybe AWD?
If they bring the wagon over, I am going to guess 4 cylinder/auto only to keep things simple since it will have limited sales and to lessen the impact on the RDX.

Then if there is demand and if the V6 sedan sells well, maybe a V6 option. FWD only as I do not believe this generation Accord has AWD available for any market.

Old 08-12-2009 | 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Post Luxury Wagons

Generational biases are nearly impossible to overcome when it comes to cars and image, and what types of cars are hot or not. At least until recently, much of the Baby Boomer generation, which has held most of the new-car buying power, has been decidedly anti-wagon.

My generation, the young side of Gen X plus Gen Y, has liked wagons all along; I can't remember a time when my peers considered them uncool. Whether or not it goes back to the knee-jerk resistance to the Plymouth Voyager minivans and Ford Explorer SUVs that our parents' generation gravitated toward, we really love our sport wagons.

If you're looking for a wagon—especially a sporty wagon—choices have been slim for a long time. The past decade has been full of false starts for the wagon market, as marketers seemed to misunderstand the appeal or pitch products to an older, more affluent audience that wasn't interested (the Lexus IS SportCross was a favorite).

My generation is getting older and fussier and just starting to move toward (and be able to afford) the luxury segment—albeit more cautiously than the older generation. A vehicle like the SportCross would likely have much more success now; and sources inside Toyota have confirmed to TheCarConnection.com that Lexus is reconsidering a wagon body style for its next-generation IS, now under development.

Now Cadillac is about to roll out a CTS Wagon, and according to Car and Driver, Acura is seriously considering bringing a wagon version of its TSX to the U.S.; the model is already sold overseas as the Honda Accord Touring. These models would join two TheCarConnection.com favorites—the 2009 Audi A4 Avant, 2009 BMW 3-Series Sport Wagon. In a more affordable segment of the market, the 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring is also helping to fill the void.

Any of these are well worth considering; in nearly every case, wagons are more fuel-efficient alternatives to SUVs, with just as much interior space and a better driving experience.

Mercedes-Benz recently announced that it will bring out a wagon version of the E-Class, next summer, but a company spokesperson just confirmed for TheCarConnection.com that it has no plans to bring the C-Class over as a wagon. Mercedes-Benz brought the C-Class wagon to the U.S. from 2002 through 2005, but it was a slow-seller and the latest version never made it.

The past decade has seen several ill-conceived, stodgy wagons that neither appeal to a certain type of Boomers nor to my generation, while at the same time perpetuating a "wagons don't sell" mentality within the ranks. Take the Malibu Maxx, an almost-there design that was saddled with way too much chrome on the outside, given bleak interior trim, and only offered with the V-6 and automatic. A little green appeal or a little sport can go a long way in stoking a wagon's appeal; Ford is missing out tremendously by not offering a Fusion Wagon—especially a Fusion Hybrid Wagon.

There's no denying that a few years from now there will be sport wagons to choose from; tighter fuel-efficiency requirements almost necessitate it. We want sporty and efficient, but we're not willing to sacrifice much practicality.

TheCarConnection.com will keep you posted on new wagon possibilities as they're announced; with some luck they'll pick up steam without sputtering themselves out yet again.

Old 08-13-2009 | 03:25 PM
TMQ
Pro

Bring over the wagon.

If Honda/Acura has any sense of the target buyers, offer a 6MT.

Unfortunately, the light truck loop hole in the U.S. means crossovers are much easier to make and pass fuel economy standards, meaning no incentive to offer wagons.
Old 08-14-2009 | 09:04 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by JeffS
If they bring the wagon over, I am going to guess 4 cylinder/auto only to keep things simple since it will have limited sales and to lessen the impact on the RDX.

Then if there is demand and if the V6 sedan sells well, maybe a V6 option. FWD only as I do not believe this generation Accord has AWD available for any market.

doesn't bmw offer awd in the 3 series wagon?

the Accord tourer looks way better than the US Accord crosstour or whatever that thing is called.
Old 08-14-2009 | 04:21 PM
fap fap fap

Originally Posted by Mokos23
doesn't bmw offer awd in the 3 series wagon?
yes. but too bad they wont bring over the 335 wagon
Old 08-14-2009 | 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

TSX Wagon=sex

Dooooo eeeeeet, Acura.

More variety is what Tier 1 makes do.
Old 08-14-2009 | 08:19 PM

Swap out the Euro front...swap at the euro tails....pretty simple...still says "Accord" in very small letters on the rear...but I did add the TSX plates.

thought you photoshopped the TSX sedan into the wagon

Quick Reply: Acura: TSX News