Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by need4spd
Lets try and spend more time on the details of the car, I think we killed the pay MSRP or less issue.

Ultimately it is up to the buyer, dealer, market conditions and what both are comfortable with. Nothing we say on this site will change what happens between the dealer and buyer (all though it was informative).

I guess the details are kind of slow so we picked up this alternate discussion.

Thanks
ok..I'm done! man, you guys are a tough crowd....
Old 07-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Advanced

All this talk of MSRP!

But you all forget another key aspect of the deal...a trade-in. For example, I have an '01 TL that will be traded in for the 04. I really could care less where the negotiations take place. If the dealer gives me top dollar for my trade, then I have no problem paying MSRP. Conversly, if he gives me a discount on the new TL, then I'll accept a lower trade-in price.

This little loophole keeps everyone happy...new TL's will sell for near MSRP, resale value remains high, brand identity strengthens, and the customer still feels satisfied - for the most part.

Secondly, I barely got $1000 off on the '01 TL in Oct. of 2000. The problem is that there aren't many Acura dealers around my area. (1 within 150 miles). MDXs are still selling at MSRP. I would imagine that the 04 TL will sell at MSRP for quite some time at this particular dealer.

And let me get this straight: some of you think there will be a base, HPT, and a Type-S model in a few years?? 3 trim levels of the TL? Respectfully, I say no way - its not in Acura fashion.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by provench
Yeah - not that it matters for a 31 page thread. But let's take the MSRP debate to another thread and stick to news about the new TL here.

Thanks.
Sorry I missed this...I apologize for the "MSRP" portion of my last post.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Instructor

This was just posted on the Accord forum by ck2000:

ck2000
clicking noise and honda field engineer 07-14-2003 18:42

This afternoon one of the Honda field engineers came and looked at our car. After driving the car 3 different times he finally admitted that we were a victim of the spot welding repair. Car will be in the shop for at least 2-3 days hopefully this will take care of the clinking noise... supposedly this engineer is the one who designed the repair; he was the one to found the problem on a car in Miami after working on it for 2 days.
Since I was able to talk to the engineer one on one today I asked him some questions.#1 the specs on the new Tl no type s, no AWD, starting price around 33k. #2 will Honda ever make 6 speed for the sedan? He replied there is no market for a 6 speed sedan. #3 will there be a type s on the TSX? No #4 he gave info on the RL it will be awd, and the haven't decided yet if they are going to marketing it at 40k or if they are going to deck it out all the way and push it up to 60k.
Sorry so long had a lot of info to share........................................they rented us a dodge neon...how lucky are we???????
Old 07-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Dang, I m almost glad Im gone for a month so I can fogret about the TL (I think)! and when I come home all the news will be out with concrete pictures and pricing...this is killing me...all this waiting. Im really thinking this is the car for me!!
Old 07-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

no market for a 6sp sedan eh?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro

Originally posted by huskerfan

ck2000

This afternoon one of the Honda field engineers came and looked at our car. After driving the car 3 different times he finally admitted that we were a victim of the spot welding repair. Car will be in the shop for at least 2-3 days hopefully this will take care of the clinking noise... supposedly this engineer is the one who designed the repair; he was the one to found the problem on a car in Miami after working on it for 2 days.
Since I was able to talk to the engineer one on one today I asked him some questions.#1 the specs on the new Tl no type s, no AWD, starting price around 33k. #2 will Honda ever make 6 speed for the sedan? He replied there is no market for a 6 speed sedan. #3 will there be a type s on the TSX? No #4 he gave info on the RL it will be awd, and the haven't decided yet if they are going to marketing it at 40k or if they are going to deck it out all the way and push it up to 60k.
Sorry so long had a lot of info to share........................................they rented us a dodge neon...how lucky are we???????
Umm, Acura has already stated that a 6 speed manual will be available on the new TL. That immediately discredits the rest of the statements from this so called "engineer" in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by RJC RSX
no market for a 6sp sedan eh?
The way I read the post, he was talking about a 6sp Honda Sedan & not the TL. Since Honda has a 6sp in the coupe, he might be right. With the 6sp in the coupe there might not be a large demand for a 6sp in the sedan. The same is not true for the TL since the demise of the CL.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:10 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ck2000

Interesting...but 6 spd 04TLs are unofficially>>official. As far as will there be a market for it time will tell. AWD on 04 TL Honda engineers said it will be an available option...so I guess it all depends which Honda engineers you are talking to. An engineer working for Honda may not know every aspect of a car. They will most likely only know the features they are involved in. Bottom line is time will tell.

As far as MSRPs go...its time to drop that topic for now.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:18 PM
9th Gear

Originally posted by justinjsw
As far as MSRPs go...its time to drop that topic for now.
What's this?!?! A dealer who doesn't want to talk MSRP?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Is anyone aside from me confused at this point.

AWD = Yes, then AWD=No
6 Speed = Definitely, then 6 Speed = No

We are up to 32 pages of contradicting points and confusion.

Well, I am going to keep my money on Justin, based on reputation and that I am hoping for AWD 6 speed, too.

Has anyone heard anything on trip computer features?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

6sp is a positive, this from a variety of soruces

justin says yes to awd, and given his record, it's a yes (at least on the HPT)

i'm sure the navi will have all kinds of trip computer goodies
Old 07-14-2003, 08:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm not confused. My money's on Justin, too.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Is anyone aside from me confused at this point.

AWD = Yes, then AWD=No
6 Speed = Definitely, then 6 Speed = No

We are up to 32 pages of contradicting points and confusion.

Well, I am going to keep my money on Justin, based on reputation and that I am hoping for AWD 6 speed, too.

Has anyone heard anything on trip computer features?
My earlier post regarding the post on the Accord forum said that I thought the post about no 6sp was referring to the Honda sedan since the Honda coupe already offers a 6sp. Since the CL is no more, it make sense to offer a 6sp in the TL. As far as a trip computer goes, 2003 Honda w/navi offers a voice command for the navi and the A/C and includes a trip computer. I can't imagine the TL offering anything less. Look up the specs for the 2003 Accord w/navi and you will see that it includes a trip computer.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Heck we cant agree on anything yet, besides it called a TL by Acura SO Im sure no-one knows anything about the trip computer...thats inside the car, which only god knows what that looks like?? I know just making some conversation "emu". Personaly I cant wait to this car comes off the assembly line! Anyone
Old 07-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Racer

Here it is:

The press will have use of the new TL this week so expect confirmations of all of this info real soon

NO AWD---no way in hell
6spd and an Auto

The 6spd will have a performance tuned suspension and the Auto will have more of a comfortable ride. Same engine in both with approx 270 hp.

I don't know what the HPT stands for but there is an option for 18inch rims and Brembos on the 6spd but not on the auto.

The 8" is only on the nav----not the non-nav

Moonroof controls on the roof.

Expect TSX style gauges but better.

I didn't read all of the previous posts in detail but if you have any specific questions ask and I'll try my best.

BUT NO AWD

sorry guys
Old 07-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Racer

i'll be in the chat room til 11
Old 07-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Stash
i'll be in the chat room til 11
Any info on MSRP?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Racer

ha ha

We didn't find out MSRP on the TSX until 2 days before the official release. Expect the same here---the accountants will be punching those numbers up till the last minute to maximize the currency exchanges and get good production time estimates
Old 07-14-2003, 10:01 PM
More On

Here it is:.....
Source, stash?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
What does the interior look like? Will it follow the TSX's theme, or be something different? Will it use real wood? Perforated leather?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
Source, stash?
I also would like to know your source. Not to be rude, but I find it hard to believe a person with a total of 4 posts on this board (thus far) that comes on here without sighting his/her source or how he/she came about getting this information. Call me skeptical.

Only time will tell if what you say is true. It's funny though....there seems to be a vast amount of people who post under this thread and immediately discredit the possibility of AWD and all of them have like 10 posts or less. I wonder sometimes where they come from. Who knows, I could be wrong in believing that AWD is a strong possibility, it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Booyah
Heck we cant agree on anything yet, besides it called a TL by Acura SO Im sure no-one knows anything about the trip computer...thats inside the car, which only god knows what that looks like?? I know just making some conversation "emu". Personaly I cant wait to this car comes off the assembly line! Anyone
For all we know they might change the name to Touring Luxury, or HPT..

LOL so I can almost say we know nothing except for what Justin has been telling us
Old 07-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Race Director

h
Originally posted by jwaters943
I also would like to know your source. Not to be rude, but I find it hard to believe a person with a total of 4 posts on this board (thus far) that comes on here without sighting his/her source or how he/she came about getting this information. Call me skeptical.

Only time will tell if what you say is true. It's funny though....there seems to be a vast amount of people who post under this thread and immediately discredit the possibility of AWD and all of them have like 10 posts or less. I wonder sometimes where they come from. Who knows, I could be wrong in believing that AWD is a strong possibility, it wouldn't be the first time.
LOL

I bet those people are just Spy's Sent by HONDA To discredit these correct rumours, so no one knows the real truth..

This way everyone is confused, and no one can be right, so other companys cant steal ideas..

I wish I had a clue of what I just said
Old 07-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Pro

I agree, everything is all over the place on this. Was it this way with the TSX? I remember reading magazine articles early this year a few months before the official release of the TSX, should we expect the same, say some quick reviews in August?

I guess, someone already answered the quick review question, if TLs will be available next week or so to the press. If true, lets hope they get the word out!

You guys have all the fun when I am not around!
Old 07-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only time will tell if what you say is true. It's funny though....there seems to be a vast amount of people who post under this thread and immediately discredit the possibility of AWD and all of them have like 10 posts or less.
Hey man, with the exception of the irrepressible larchmont, the high post counts are what people brought over with them from *******. This board has only been open for a couple of weeks. Your conclusion may be correct (I dunno about AWD), but your premise is horseshit.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:38 PM
More On

Originally posted by need4spd
I agree, everything is all over the place on this. Was it this way with the TSX? I remember reading magazine articles early this year a few months before the official release of the TSX, should we expect the same, say some quick reviews in August?.....
All I know is, at the time that I first heard of the TSX, which was January (or maybe early Feb.), and I then went online to find out more, the basic nature of the TSX was very well known, even though the fine details were unknown. I should add that WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT WHAT WE "KNEW" WAS ACCURATE -- but it turned out that it was.

We're at a similar point in time now with the TL -- and it seems that most people assume that they know the basic nature of the car pretty accurately. I'm skeptical about how accurate it is. No predictions here, but -- my guess is that in terms of how the car behaves and feels, it'll be closer to the current TL than people think.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:48 PM
has been here awhile

...No predictions here, but -- my guess is that in terms of how the car behaves and feels, it'll be closer to the current TL than people think...
Hello-

My guess would be that the new BASE TL may be closer to the current TL-S, but I'm guessing (emphasize guessing) that the latest performance version--HPT--will be a step above the current TL-S, performance wise. I think Acura is definately heading back to its performance oriented roots.

Can't Acura just release this thing? :P

SPUDMTN
Old 07-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro

All I know is, at the time that I first heard of the TSX, which was January (or maybe early Feb.), and I then went online to find out more, the basic nature of the TSX was very well known, even though the fine details were unknown. I should add that WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT WHAT WE "KNEW" WAS ACCURATE -- but it turned out that it was.

We're at a similar point in time now with the TL -- and it seems that most people assume that they know the basic nature of the car pretty accurately. I'm skeptical about how accurate it is. No predictions here, but -- my guess is that in terms of how the car behaves and feels, it'll be closer to the current TL than people think.
In retrospect, I guess the only differnce (while major) between the TSX introduction and the TL introduction is that the TSX existed as the Euro/JHD Accord, in looks, style, charactor, form, etc. Only thing is that from what I have read, Acura made the TSX is even more sport for the US market than it's Euro/Asian counterpart (stiffer suspension, softer bushings, to everyones surprise).

With the TL, we are starting slightly more fresh (although based on the US Accord, it still has it's own sheet metal, personality, engine, and possibly driveline), so it is not as easy to determine before the real truth prior to release of the facts .

We do have what the board feels is a reliable source, Justin, based on his track record with the TSX, but maybe he just new the Euro/Jap version really well.

In the immortal words of the X-files - "The Truth is Out There" we just need to figure it out.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:58 PM
More On

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Hello....
Don't want to get us off-topic, but.....seems like you haven't seen a thread that will be of definite interest to you.

Check out the "Off Topic" listings!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:17 AM
has been here awhile

Hello-

Eh-he :thinking: ...boy do I feel stupid...it took me long enough, larch, to understand what you were saying. I thought you were trying to get rid of me...LOL

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

my guess is that in terms of how the car behaves and feels, it'll be closer to the current TL than people think.
I have a hard time believing that. I think the base TL will be refined above and beyond the current TL. I expect that the base '04 model, will offer more refinement and features than the current TL. This, I expect to be Acura's definition of Touring Luxury. The high performance model, if the rumors are true, will (hopefully) establish the TL as a legitimate sports sedan.

We'll see.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:37 AM
has been here awhile

Hello-

Just from no-where: do we know if the new TL is going to target the midsize luxury car market (i.e. BMW 5-series, Lexus GS300, etc...) or are is it going to stay in its current segment? Forgive me if this question has been asked or answered (or both )

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 12:43 AM
More On

I also would like to know your source. Not to be rude, but I find it hard to believe a person with a total of 4 posts on this board (thus far) that comes on here without sighting his/her source or how he/she came about getting this information. Call me skeptical. ....
Iceman was right -- sort of -- when he said it was wrong to bash stash's info just because he has only 4 posts.

The thing is, although JW was being unfair if you take him just literally, actually he has a terrific point. That's often the case with things like this -- someone has a great point but maybe he doesn't express it in exactly the best way.

The thing about stash isn't exactly that he has only 4 posts; it's that since he has only 4 posts, we just don't know him. When we see info from someone with a lot of posts, we kind of know how to take that info. For example, when I give info, you know that I'm just speaking from the seat of my pants. Maybe you find it interesting, maybe you don't, but you know it's not authoritative. When Justin gives you info, you may not necessarily want to take it as gospel but you know it deserves to be taken seriously.

But when somebody with just 4 posts says something -- actually I think stash's controversial post was his FIRST ONE -- we just don't have any idea how to take it, and if it's controversial, very reasonably we would tend to be skeptical about it.

That's why it becomes so much more important in such a situation to know the source for the person's info; that's why I asked. I didn't assume he was a "spy" or "confederate," but I did find it suspicious that even though he was new here (and therefore must have realized that he should have stated the basis for his info), he didn't state the source himself in the first place. Hell, even well-known posters usually do that here, and a new poster sure as hell should do it. And notice also, he's not answering our questions about his source either.

JW had a great point.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Burning Brakes

well in 3 hours i'll have my deposit and any more info to share with you guys!
Old 07-15-2003, 05:55 AM
Racer

I will not give up my source. I actually have another name on this board that is extremely similar and a name on the other board that is extremely similar that has several hundred posts. I changed my name to protect my source. I have been around this board (on the other side) since soon after the TSX was announced. In fact I have posted several times in this thread detailing how I would have some information this Monday with my other name.

I think provench can back me up that I have been on this board for a while. I'll just email him and bump my post count up if it would make you guys happier.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will not give up my source. I actually have another name on this board that is extremely similar and a name on the other board that is extremely similar that has several hundred posts. I changed my name to protect my source. I have been around this board (on the other side) since soon after the TSX was announced. In fact I have posted several times in this thread detailing how I would have some information this Monday with my other name.

I think provench can back me up that I have been on this board for a while. I'll just email him and bump my post count up if it would make you guys happier.
I know who this guy is. Based on that I would say his information is believable. In fact, because of the strength of his reputation and the quality of the information, I now believe nothing about the TL and will just wait until Acura releases official information. I know Justin is the bomb but if two credible people are saying opposite things, someone has to be wrong.

BTW, did you hear the car will fly?
Old 07-15-2003, 06:44 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by RJC RSX
well in 3 hours i'll have my deposit and any more info to share with you guys!
RJC, are you putting a deposit down on a TL? Do you plan on working with Alex? Canthony, the sales rep I worked with, is no longer there. Tom Mezza, sales manager, is handling my purchase now. Could you just throw Tom's name out as a buzz word and see what kind of reaction you get from Alex? Thanks!

Hope you get some good info about the car.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

My earlier post regarding the post on the Accord forum said that I thought the post about no 6sp was referring to the Honda sedan since the Honda coupe already offers a 6sp. Since the CL is no more, it make sense to offer a 6sp in the TL. As far as a trip computer goes, 2003 Honda w/navi offers a voice command for the navi and the A/C and includes a trip computer. I can't imagine the TL offering anything less. Look up the specs for the 2003 Accord w/navi and you will see that it includes a trip computer.
I have an 03 EX-V6-Navi and the trip computer is nothing special. The computer in my 97 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 is just as good, if not better. I was hoping for specifics.

My wish list:
Total Avg MPG (On Accord system)
Instant Econ (On Accord system, with a bar graph.)
Crusing Range (On Accord system)
Tire Pressure (Not on Accord system)
Avg MPG (Not on Accord system)
Service Interval Indicator (Not on Accord system)
Total engine time (Not on Accord system)
Oil Pressure (Not on Accord system)

These are the details I am seeking
Old 07-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Jason
I know who this guy is. Based on that I would say his information is believable. In fact, because of the strength of his reputation and the quality of the information, I now believe nothing about the TL and will just wait until Acura releases official information. I know Justin is the bomb but if two credible people are saying opposite things, someone has to be wrong.

BTW, did you hear the car will fly?
I think Jason has said it best. I now have two credible sources who are in direct conflict. I think both sources have their reasons to say what they say. So what can we do now? Just place our bets and look for one source or the other to come through

Stash is a long time member, just under a new name. But let's make no mistake about it ... Justinjsw has some serious connections and his info has been extremely accurate and well filtered to us in the past.

So all I can say is :P ... you TL hopefuls are not done sweating it out just like the TSX folks like me did ... I had mine on order for like 4 months before I took it home

I think either AWD or FWD with HLSD would rock ... so I am mostly interested in interior stuff Acura has planned at this point. I also would rather seen Acura working towards total IMA setup vs, VTM-4 variant to be honest ... I want my AWD to get 50 MPG So where is my '06 TSX Type R?

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News