Acura: Precision Concept News

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Looks out of place now. I wonder if it would look better if it was put at the very end of the hood instead, and the grille was left all black...
Name:  acura_precision_concept_zpskcy18oak.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  91.3 KB
Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
And if there's ever a time to develop your own platform, it's right now. Gas prices are in the toilet and people want to buy trucks and SUVs.
FTFY
Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
Wow. I can't believe how much just removing that logo off the grille has improved the look of this car. I actually like it now, lol.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:41 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
FTFY
You're not kidding. I was at trivia yesterday, and one of the questions was the make of the highest selling model car in the US. I had to beg and plead for the team to put Ford. Damn F150s sell like crazy.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm glad to see the visible exhaust

Acura is listening
Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Wink C&d

It happens at every major auto show: Carmakers unveil sexy show cars destined to get watered down for production, or that have little relevance to any future production cars. Our friends at Acura have a history of building concepts that go nowhere—remember the terrifying Advanced Sedan concept from 2006?—as well as show cars such as the 2012 NSX concept that translated brilliantly into the production NSX. This year, as the Acura Precision concept sedan wows the masses at the Detroit auto show, we pulled its lead designers aside to see what, if any, of the car’s many interesting aspects really matter.

A “Vision Car,” Not a Production Preview

First off, this is not a preview of a future production model; rather, it is a “vision car” commissioned during the afterglow of the production NSX’s introduction exactly a year ago. According to lead exterior designer Michelle Christensen, who also served as the lead exterior designer of the NSX, it’s intended to clarify Acura’s mantra of “Precision Crafted Performance,” for both internal and external purposes. “Coming off of [the NSX launch] we wanted to look at our lineup and design language and reassess where we’re going. We had every intent to trickle the NSX design elements and soul into our products, so we wanted to make a vision car not only to show the world what our intentions are, but also to have a muse in the studio to inspire our designers and get everyone on the same page.”

“We’re Applying as Much of This as Possible”

While Christensen wouldn’t get specific about which Acura models will get these themes 1st, she did provide some specifics about which of the Precision’s elements would eventually appear. “We’re applying as much of this as possible, from the actual design theme to the proportion to the technology, the lighting, and especially the new grille. The name of the new grille is the ‘diamond pentagon.’ The general shape has a diamond shape and also the details in the mesh have radiating diamonds. That’s a theme that we’re carrying into production for sure.”

Perhaps the highest priority, Christensen said, is a change in proportions to low and wide. “That goes back to our roots with some of the best cars that Acura has ever made. I think that’s a very signature thing for a luxury sedan. Also, the dash-to-axle [ratio]—we made sure to stretch the wheelbase to get that [long] dash-to-axle and give us that premium look that conveys that there’s something really powerful under that hood. And they’ll be very muscular around the fenders; especially with our all-wheel drive, we really wanted to emphasize the performance, where the muscles are: the wheels and tires.”

Pointing to the NSX, Christensen referenced that car’s floating A-pillar and flying buttress, which translated into the Precision concept’s A-pillar. “We’ve got the floating A-pillar on the NSX and we’ve got the floating A-pillar on the Precision concept that kind of tapers to a point. The NSX’s flying buttresses can also be seen as related to the flying taillamps, which are anchored only at each end and behind which one can slip one’s hand.”

Dueling Surface Languages, “Chaotic” Lighting

What will be most interesting to watch is how Acura translates the Precision concept’s “contrast surfacing” into Acura’s varying body styles. “We have this really sheer bodyside and then it’s complemented by this organic shape . . . imagine a flat sheet of metal that’s twisted and then it’s got this mercury form growing out of it. We wanted to have two different form languages moving together on one vehicle to create more interest and more movement and reflections. I think the surfacing is going to be very potent; I’m looking forward to seeing how it’s going to transform from a smaller entry-level sedan to an SUV; we’re already seeing some of it in the studio.”

“The lighting was also really fun on this car,” said Christensen. “We have our signature jewel-eye headlights that have become very distinctive for Acura, but we wanted to add a little more of a chaotic element . . . so we have this sort of constellation theme, or a random fractal theme, so that it really kind of brings it to life and gives it more of a nature-based look. Even the taillight is broken off into random pieces; there’s no rhyme or reason for that pattern—it’s just kind of beautiful, gives it some depth.”

Sporty Up Front, Loungelike in Back

Christensen’s interior-design counterpart, John Norman, gave us a few insights into what the Precision concept could portend for future Acura interiors. “The HMI [human-machine interface] is something we’re really fighting for . . . we got rid of the typical speedometer and replaced it with this micrometer that’s mounted on the column and in front of that is this rectangular, very performance-oriented steering wheel that’s similar to an F1 car and also very similar to the NSX. The center is dominated by a large, curved center screen that retracts out of the IP. We wanted to create something that was immersive but that also bridged the gap between automotive and home theater.”

Each row of seats is different, too, not just in terms of upholstery color but seat style, too. “We tried to make the front more sports oriented,” said Norman, “but the back seats aren’t quite as aggressive, they’re more like thin, modern lounge furniture. We’re going to try to do that in the future.”

Ultimately only time will tell what fate has in store for any concept car, but one thing seems certain: Acuras are poised to get a lot more pizzazz. “The way I see it,” Christensen said, “is that I think we have great products, and at the core they’ve always had this performance in there, I just think that maybe it hasn’t been loud enough or it may not have been consistent across the board. I think now we’re really bringing the soul out and turning the volume up full blast.”

Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
There are certainly some very promising verbiage in the story ^^....Now lets just see if they are really serious this time or will let us down once again with bland production vehicles, ugly wheels and lower quality material.

I really want to believe that Acura is serious about wanting to make a difference in the auto industry, re-gain what that wonderful "A" stood for, but lately, my confidence and faith has been eroded. Luckily for me, I have about 2.5 years to go in my Lexus so it gives me time to sit back, watch their transformation, read if they have really solved their QA issues and then decide whether or not they have earned my trust and business.

This is their last chance though....if I have to replace my IS by either another Lexus, Infiniti or a Buick, then they will have lost me for good.

Last edited by weather; 01-17-2016 at 08:28 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by weather:
AZuser (01-18-2016), fsttyms1 (01-18-2016), ostrich (01-19-2016), TacoBello (01-17-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 04:14 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing really new in it.

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-original.jpg

Did anybody think the hideous front grille on the advanced sedan concept looked good? Removing the crappy shield from the joker face is not enough to fix the joker face!

http://image.automotive.com/f/concep...t-rightjpg.jpg
Congrats! You noticed that the new grill is the same shape as the 2007 concept less the shield, and blown up in size.

More to the point, it's another 4 door coupe. That whole styling concept is past its' half life. Too many mainstream cars are using it and it's becoming common. Acura would be better served finding a different roof profile. Something nobody else is doing.

The same is true of the "sculpted" sides. BMW and Bangle started that. They called it "flame surfacing". Now, it's a common element on most cars to a greater or lesser degree. Again, want to differentiate yourself, find something different to do with the sides.

A differentiating feature would be to find a way to integrate the headlights into the grill design. Nobody is doing that these days. Just about all headlights are outboard of the grill.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Michelle Christensen
Perhaps the highest priority, Christensen said, is a change in proportions to low and wide. “That goes back to our roots with some of the best cars that Acura has ever made. I think that’s a very signature thing for a luxury sedan. Also, the dash-to-axle [ratio]—we made sure to stretch the wheelbase to get that [long] dash-to-axle and give us that premium look that conveys that there’s something really powerful under that hood. And they’ll be very muscular around the fenders; especially with our all-wheel drive, we really wanted to emphasize the performance, where the muscles are: the wheels and tires.”

How about new engines. V8? Turbo V6?

Put in more powerful engines and you won't have to pretend "that there's something really powerful under that hood" or try to fool us by using design elements like muscular fenders. What better way to emphasize the performance than with new more powerful engines? That's where the real muscle is, not in the wheels and tires.

Originally Posted by Michelle Christensen
The way I see it,” Christensen said, “is that I think we have great products....
Keep telling yourself that.
The following 3 users liked this post by AZuser:
fsttyms1 (01-19-2016), justnspace (01-19-2016), TacoBello (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser

How about new engines. V8? Turbo V6?

Put in more powerful engines and you won't have to pretend "that there's something really powerful under that hood" or try to fool us by using design elements like muscular fenders. What better way to emphasize the performance than with new more powerful engines? That's where the real muscle is, not in the wheels and tires.

Keep telling yourself that.

But that's not her department, though...lol.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Mugen.Justice
But that's not her department, though...lol.
Technically she has to be part of it to be able to design a space to accommodate a engine to fit.

give us that premium look that conveys that there’s something really powerful under that hood. And they’ll be very muscular around the fenders; especially with our all-wheel drive, we really wanted to emphasize the performance, where the muscles are: the wheels and tires.”
And if you arent DONT spew stuff like this. Looks are one thing, but if you WANT it to be something it isnt dont design it that way!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a concept car. I think Acura is copying BMW which I see I8 with 4 doors. This is fine as long as Acura keep its badge "durability"
I bought 16 ilx with less than 3000 miles 4 times to the dealer.
That's not cool
Old 08-12-2022, 05:56 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
The Acura Precision EV Concept reveals the brand's new design language for its big step into electrification. For now, the company is only teasing the vehicle's nose, but a full debut happens on August 18 during Monterey Car Week.

The 12-second video above shows a little more than the teaser image. From the small portion that's visible, we can see the Precision EV Concept has a blue illuminated grille with a mesh pattern in front of it. The Acura badge in the center lights up, too. At the outer corners, the headlights have a triangular shape, and narrow strips emerge from them that extend toward the middle of the nose.

The lower fascia includes arch-shaped openings. Judging from the video, this section also has small, illuminated elements.

The video doesn't show much else of the Precision EV Concept. There appear to be raised elements along the beltline and around fenders.

What's not clear at the moment is whether the Acura Precision EV Concept is in any way related to the Honda Prologue EV. That model rides on the General Motors Ultium platform and goes on sale in 2024. When Honda announced its electric crossover, it confirmed an Acura version was coming but was unwilling to provide any additional details.

According to earlier rumors, the production version of the Acura EV will arrive sometime in the 2024 calendar year riding on the GM Ultium platform. The Honda version's production will allegedly happen at GM's Ramos Arizpe Manufacturing Complex in Mexico. The Acura will allegedly come from the Spring Hill Complex in Tennessee alongside the Cadillac Lyriq.

On December 22, 2021, Honda filed for a trademark in the US for ADX. There's some speculation that this might be for the Acura EV.
So far, there are no mechanical details about the Acura or the Honda EVs. When it announced the Ultium batteries, GM said there would be capacities ranging from 50 to 200 kilowatt hours. The range from these vehicles can be as high as 400 miles (644 kilometers). The company uses large-format, pouch-style cells in horizontal or vertical stacks, depending on the application.
Acura Precision EV Concept Teases New Design Language, Debuts August 18 (motor1.com)
Old 08-12-2022, 05:57 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Acura: Precision EV Concept News

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/11/2...e-honda-grille

Acura’s 1st Electric SUV will Have 1 of the Brightest EV Grilles Yet

By Andrew J. Hawkins@andyjayhawk
Aug 11, 2022, 1:09pm EDT

Acura teased its 1st electric vehicle Thursday, and the grille alone is worth taking note of. The Acura Precision concept, which will make its public debut on August 18th during Monterey Car Week, has 1 of the most outlandishly bright LED grilles that I’ve ever seen on an EV (and I’ve seen a few).

The front end appears to carry over a lot of the design language from the Integra and MDX, including the 5-point diamond shape and the angular headlights. But the embedded LED lights are far and away the most ostentatious grille that has been released to date.
The concept may or may not inform the actual production version of Acura’s first EVFull caveat: the concept may or may not inform the actual production version of Acura’s first EV, which will be built on top of General Motors’ Ultium electric architecture thanks to a partnership between the Detroit-based automaker and Acura’s parent company, Honda.

Along with the Honda Prologue, the Acura Precision will be manufactured at GM’s Spring Hill, Tennessee, plant, where the Cadillac Lyriq is currently being built. Under the agreement with GM, Acura is designing the exteriors and interiors, while the platform will be engineered by GM to support Honda and Acura’s specifications.

Acura is targeting 2040 for the year it will go fully electric, much like Honda. The Japanese automaker’s parent company is setting the goal of selling 60,000 Prologue SUVs in the US in 2024, 70,000 units in 2025, and 300,000 in 2026. More broadly, the company says it wants 40% of its sales to be comprised of battery-electric and fuel-cell vehicles by 2030, 80% by 2035, and 100 percent by 2040.

It’s unclear whether Precision will actually be the nameplate; Honda recently filed a trademark for ADX, which would also look splendid sitting above the dazzling front-end display.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:10 AM
Safety Car

Exclamation Thanks for Posting Biker

I thought about posting the Precision EV Concept here as well but went with a new thread bc a search showed that the other Precision Concept had its own thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...t-news-940768/
Mods: Please delete if this is the better spot.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-12-2022, 08:32 AM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts
Thread move fail.... Tried to move the posts from the other thread to here & forum hung up on me...

Seeing the posts in both threads.
@Yumcha something you can clean up & make the 2 posts here & not the dev/tech thread?

Last edited by 00TL-P3.2; 08-12-2022 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 10:04 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
I thought about posting the Precision EV Concept here as well but went with a new thread bc a search showed that the other Precision Concept had its own thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...t-news-940768/
Mods: Please delete if this is the better spot.

Thanks for sharing!

I usually start a model specific thread when enough info is known and the name is sorta settled.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Thread move fail.... Tried to move the posts from the other thread to here & forum hung up on me...

Seeing the posts in both threads.
@Yumcha something you can clean up & make the 2 posts here & not the dev/tech thread?
Okay, merged the 2 threads. I think that did the trick.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:34 AM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts
Posts are still here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...396703/page82/

But looks like your move also worked, they're just duplicated in both threads
Old 08-12-2022, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Posts are still here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...396703/page82/

But looks like your move also worked, they're just duplicated in both threads

Blarg. We'll live. Though, reading Invisible's posts and the debate in that thread brings back memories. Man, I'm old.