Acura: Advanced Sedan Concept news

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Acura: Advanced Sedan Concept news

L.A. Show Preview - - Source: Autoweek

Acura will unveil a futuristic-looking sedan concept designed at the company's U.S. headquarters in Torrance, Calif. The vehicle is only a design concept, the division says. Acura soon will have its own design center, apart from Honda. The first vehicles from the new studio are likely to reach the market in the 2009 or 2010 model year. The Los Angeles concept may be testing the waters for a new Acura look.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

At last. Some movement from Acura as a separate entity from mother Honda.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
They're gonna need more than changes in looks to separate Acura from Honda.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
the concept might be the rendering for the next TL, or maybe the new coupe
Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I hope this concept ditches the 5 point grille
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I hope this concept ditches the 5 point grille
Why?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by shrykhar
Why?
First, the 5-point Acura grille is a poor design IMHO. Second it puts barriers to the overall vehicle designs where every front end has to have the same "trademark" grille.

I know Acura want's brand identity and a trademark grille like BMW...etc, but I feel it kills the creativity for Acura. Even MB departs from their grilles on some vehicles.

I think I will if the next NSX has the 5-point grille.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Both the TSX and TL will be new by 09 - so what car can possibly get this new treatment?

RL mid cycle redesign? Brand new model?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
I know Acura want's brand identity and a trademark grille like BMW...etc, but I feel it kills the creativity for Acura. Even MB departs from their grilles on some vehicles.
MB doesn't need a signature grille on some models because everyone immediately recognize the models are MB. But Acura models don't have a single unified look imprinted in everyone's mind, such that with it everyone can tell the car is an Acura. In fact, people always mistaken the RL as a Honda. So before Acura can go creative, it has to built up its brand identity and signature grille first. Otherwise, it is no different from the economy brands like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, VW, Hyundai. It can never become a premium brand.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
MB doesn't need a signature grille on some models because everyone immediately recognize the models are MB. But Acura models don't have a single unified look imprinted in everyone's mind, such that with it everyone can tell the car is an Acura. In fact, people always mistaken the RL as a Honda. So before Acura can go creative, it has to built up its brand identity and signature grille first. Otherwise, it is no different from the economy brands like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, VW, Hyundai. It can never become a premium brand.
I think the reason the RL is mistaken for a Honda is because it is a Honda in other parts of the world.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think the reason the RL is mistaken for a Honda is because it is a Honda in other parts of the world.
But people who have never traveled outside the US still can see that "H" where an "A" really is.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
the concept might be the rendering for the next TL, or maybe the new coupe
you did read the title that said a sedan right?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:56 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The RL is mistaken for a Honda because it looks like a Honda.....and yet it has the dreaded 5-pint grille. Acura's problem is not grille identity, it's overall design problems. (I won't get into the V8 RWD debate) Good designs will give Acura a great identity, a grille won't. My hope is that now that Acura's design team is separate from Honda, they will create an ACURA identity, and not a Honda/Acura identity for the brand.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The RL is mistaken for a Honda because it looks like a Honda.....and yet it has the dreaded 5-pint grille. Acura's problem is not grille identity, it's overall design problems. (I won't get into the V8 RWD debate) Good designs will give Acura a great identity, a grille won't. My hope is that now that Acura's design team is separate from Honda, they will create an ACURA identity, and not a Honda/Acura identity for the brand.
Or they could just go the BMW route and go with bad design...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch it's going to be the next gen TSX (sports4 concept) that we've seen before, but just a bit tweaked.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

^^^
Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Or they could just go the BMW route and go with bad design...
We can only dream that Honda would make a car like the M6.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

We can only dream that Honda would make a car like the M6.
Fixed.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Got Ramen?

First, the 5-point Acura grille is a poor design IMHO. Second it puts barriers to the overall vehicle designs where every front end has to have the same "trademark" grille.

I think I will if the next NSX has the 5-point grille.

i think the 5-point grille was a poor decision on Acura's part in creating a brand identity. it's ugly and doesn't flow with the rest of the design...perhaps that's why they look more conservative than they should. bring back the legend designs of yore.

Mazda does a MUCH better job of incorporating their 5 point grille into their designs. with acura, it seems they have to work around it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Race Director

Do you guys like the grill on the new MDX? I think it looks nice and aggressive, it's just it still has that 5 point shape.

They should go back to the old school Integras, Legends, 3rd gen Accord 86-89, the 80s Prelude, and the CRX and just put a simple "A" logo on top of the hood. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

^^ I think the grille on the new MDX is

everytime i see it I think of

I think they should have never canned the integra in the first place and just kept expanding it.

bumping it up to a 4cylinder 2.0 or 2.2 would have been awesome esp because of how much power they were putting down with just the 1.8L motor.

the K series is a very good motor, but the iVTEC kills it I think. The standard VTEC with DOHC is what made that car awesome.

imagine if our CL's had DOHC.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 11-28-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Race Director

Are you sure you're not mistaking the new MDX grill with the RDX one? The RDX one is ugly to me.

Like I said awhile ago, I kind of wish Honda/Nissan joined forces like make Honda design the slick interiors and let Nissan design the exterior. Then both of them jointly design a VQ/VTEC DOHC engine with all the Nissan torque and power with the good gas mileage from Honda. For sure Nissan wouldn't want to put the ugly 5 point grill on a car they designed with Honda
Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Apart from a unified signature grille, I cannot think of any quick way to give all Acura models an Acura identity. Except the TSX and TL, the rest of the Acura models look too different from one another - there is no Acura identity and Acura brand recognition. A brand identity is to do with unique design clues that say for MB, people immediately can tell the car is a MB no matter it is a small C230 all the way up to the giant GL550. Take a look at BMW, Audi, etc., they all look alike. You can't miss the giant "drop jaw" signature grille designed into all new Audi's. Unfortunately, Acura models have no look-alike identity, same as the cheaper Honda lineups.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
the K series is a very good motor, but the iVTEC kills it I think. The standard VTEC with DOHC is what made that car awesome.
Nitpick:

VTEC as it was known still exists, but only on some engines (e.g. K20A2). On the V6s, it's even used to describe cylinder deactivation instead of camshaft profiles. When you think about it, "Variable Timing Engine Control" could technically mean anything. It's more of a brand than technology now, kinda like where Chrysler's gone with "Hemi."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC
Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

Nitpick:

VTEC as it was known still exists, but only on some engines (e.g. K20A2). On the V6s, it's even used to describe cylinder deactivation instead of camshaft profiles. When you think about it, "Variable Timing Engine Control" could technically mean anything. It's more of a brand than technology now, kinda like where Chrysler's gone with "Hemi."

I've never seen the Odyssey's V6 engine described as iVtec simply because it has cylinder deactivation. Honda has its own name for that - they call it VCM - variable cylinder management. I think that entry is wrong.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Like I said awhile ago, I kind of wish Honda/Nissan joined forces like make Honda design the slick interiors and let Nissan design the exterior. Then both of them jointly design a VQ/VTEC DOHC engine with all the Nissan torque and power with the good gas mileage from Honda. For sure Nissan wouldn't want to put the ugly 5 point grill on a car they designed with Honda
I don't see what Honda would have to offer in terms of engine technology. Honda has a V6 engine too (the J-series), which produces about same power and mileage as the Nissan VQ at similar displacements.

For comparison: 3.5L V6 from Infiniti M and Acura RL:
Infiniti M: 18/25 mpg, 280 hp, 270 ft/lbs.
Acura RL: 18/26 mpg, 290 hp, 256 ft/lbs.

Given today's engine technologies, it's a tradeoff to get the balance of power and fuel economy that you want. (Newer tech like DI may change that somewhat.) I'd say that Honda's reputation for good gas mileage comes mostly from its 2L 4 cyl engines.

I also don't see what's so special about Nissan's sedan styling either. The Altima and Maxima are pretty bland, and the hamburger patty emblem on grille design is pretty tacky. I suppose Infiniti's designs are better with the new G sedan and all, but the new Sentra just SCREAMS econobox.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by phile
I've never seen the Odyssey's V6 engine described as iVtec simply because it has cylinder deactivation. Honda has its own name for that - they call it VCM - variable cylinder management. I think that entry is wrong.
Could be. What sticks in my brain is how the K20A3 uses the iVTEC moniker, but it's not exactly what you'd expect it to be. Then again, I don't know how I'd market it otherwise ... VTEC-Lite? Diet VTEC? *shrug*
Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Nitpick:

I know VTEC still exists

I was specifically referring to iVTEC because the difference between the two is that iVTEC only has the variable timing on the intake cam, not both the intake and exhaust cam as it is on VTEC engines.

the VTEC motors that also were DOHC like the B18C motor was a monster when built up.

And although they do offer "VTEC" on the K series motor it's actually iVTEC.

They are not the same because like I said, iVTEC only has the variable timing on the intake cam. Although they may use "VTEC" technologies, their labels are different to call out their difference in operation on that particular motor.

It makes a pretty big different in performance on upgraded motors IMO.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
looks slick!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by srika
looks slick!
What are you looking at...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Are you sure you're not mistaking the new MDX grill with the RDX one? The RDX one is ugly to me.

MDX and RDX =
...add the RL to the list.

The TSX and TL are the only decent designs Acura has going...IMHO
Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I was specifically referring to iVTEC because the difference between the two is that iVTEC only has the variable timing on the intake cam, not both the intake and exhaust cam as it is on VTEC engines.
The RSX Type-S and TSX engines have variable timing on the exhaust cam too.

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/articles/kseries_faq.html
(It's mentioned on other sites too, just didn't want to link to Wiki again.)
Old 11-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
What are you looking at...
poking fun at how theres no PIX in here!!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Click Here to see the acura concept under covers.

Looks very interesting...can't wait to see the thing revealed.

more pics here... including a honda concept that looks like either a new crx, next gen insight or possibly a replacement for the s2000.

http://www.autospies.com/news/LA-AUT...-photos-10339/
Old 11-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

The RSX Type-S and TSX engines have variable timing on the exhaust cam too.

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/articles/kseries_faq.html
(It's mentioned on other sites too, just didn't want to link to Wiki again.)
ahh I was mininformed in the past

I found this as well:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...ostid=19218253
VTEC is stupid
i-VTEC is intelligent.

Basicially..

VTEC - Valve Timing(and Lift ) Electronically controlled.

I-vtec is the same thing, but with VTC.

Also known as Variable Cam phasing.

I don't know why im going to sit here and actually type this out, but luckily I type pretty quick..

With a VTEC motor, at all times of acceleration 4 valves work per cylinder.

With an I-VTEC motor, Below VTEC both Exhaust valves work and only 1 intake valve opens. This causes more suction from the one intake valve being open which also causes all the air that gets sucked in to be sucked in with a spirial like motion. The gas is then distributed through the combustion chamber more evenly. Creating better low end torque gains. This one intake valve working motion is known as VTC or Variable Cam Phasing. When VTEC is crossed over to the other intake valve opens and all 4 valve work.

search more next time please.. Theres even videos that explain this stuff.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Very long hood and very short deck. It does look interesting indeed!
Old 11-29-2006, 12:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by gavriil
Very long hood and very short deck. It does look interesting indeed!
Huge fender flares too
Old 11-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

The rumor is that it looks like a sedan version of the MDX. Even the folks at TOV didn't like it, and they're generally polite about Honda.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:37 PM
almost done...

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=636992
Old 11-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Not looking good at all. This concept should be comparible to Lexus's LFS concept design which was for their future lineup when it was shown.

Quick Reply: Acura: Advanced Sedan Concept news