Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
I would NOT say the 1st gen NSX was a conservative design by any means. It brought exotic car "looks" to a vehicle that was more easily attainable to the "masses"...Take into account they still very much stand out in a crowd today, and I live in a location where ferraris, lambos, astons, etc are very much common place...show me they are far from a conservative design.

But I do think its a "timeless" design. That is something I don't think they achieved with this new one. But I don't hate it either, it just doesn't blow my skirt up.

I really hope they are able to exploit the hybrid power plant in a big way. But it remains to be seen...Honda by nature is VERY conservative in performance. Look at the CRZ and what it COULD have been.

And I have to address your other comment:

"The 1G NSX wasn't any kind of overachieving sports machine compared to a 911 or Ferrari 360."

This is also untrue. While the NSX wasn't a power monster...they way that car handled made all the exotics and higher end vehicles stand up and take notice and then run back to their drawing boards and figure out how to compete.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,121 Likes on 2,560 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
No hate here for the NSX. I'm just not as enamored with it as some in here, as if it were the second coming.
We believe, no really we do

IMHO, the exterior design while nice, is underwhelming.
It's a conservative design, it's nowhere near it's predecessor in terms of style, not by a long shot.
Conservative? Put down the crack pipe. Although subjective, the exterior styling is fine except for the little front beak.

Powerplant remains to be seen, but it does not appear that it's going to blow the doors off other cars at or near it's class/price range.
But does not appear that's it's going to blow and yet it's not released yet?

Perhaps it's all about being a hybrid Maybe?
Is that what the fanbois are so excited about?
Then according to your logic the top engine engineers from McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari and Honda are all fanboi's?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t/viewall.html

...but I agree with you that a world class Honda V8 would be very compelling indeed. Sadly, Honda shelved it.

....the power plant is what makes the LFA so compelling to me: Toyota decided to push its limits and build a 4.8L V10.

maybe it's power lust
Honda built a V10 for the shelved 2G NSX. And wake up Rip Van Winkle you're living in the 2000's, V10's are so passe now even F1 is going back to turbo's.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Let's just wait and see.

Knowing some/most of the products/decision that Honda/Acura came up within the past decade, it is hard for me to believe they will do anything else to "Advance" , besides shoving batteries in everything they build.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Whoever said 1st gen NSX was conservative needs to realize that car came out in the 90s...

If you let me pick from a brand new 1st gen NSX or this Hybrid NSX for the same price today, i would personally take the 1st gen NSX because of its simplicity.

I am not a pro-racer, so track time is meaningless to me. But the simple mechanically feel is >>> all the electronics to make it faster.

That is why i like cars like S2000, E46 M3, old NSX and GT3.

I lost all hope for the NSX when Honda announced that it will be SHAWD with batteries.
I would much prefer highly tuned 3.5L or 3.7L V6 RWD that revs to 9k rpm than a hybrid. Yes it will have no torque, it is not like the previous nsx had any torque either.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I would NOT say the 1st gen NSX was a conservative design by any means. It brought exotic car "looks" to a vehicle that was more easily attainable to the "masses"...Take into account they still very much stand out in a crowd today, and I live in a location where ferraris, lambos, astons, etc are very much common place...show me they are far from a conservative design.

But I do think its a "timeless" design. That is something I don't think they achieved with this new one. But I don't hate it either, it just doesn't blow my skirt up.

I really hope they are able to exploit the hybrid power plant in a big way. But it remains to be seen...Honda by nature is VERY conservative in performance. Look at the CRZ and what it COULD have been.

"The 1G NSX wasn't any kind of overachieving sports machine compared to a 911 or Ferrari 360."

This is also untrue. While the NSX wasn't a power monster...they way that car handled made all the exotics and higher end vehicles stand up and take notice and then run back to their drawing boards and figure out how to compete.
Exactly.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
We're just discussing the semantics of "conservative" now. I'm talking about conservative styling and powertrain on the 1G NSX. Styling is modest, no over the top spoilers, wings, flares and powertrain is a modest ~300hp V6. You could say the use of aluminum was an aggressive approach or that the intent to make it a drivable everyday car was an aggressive goal. I just specified styling and powertrain as conservative.

While we're on the topic of the 2G NSX seeming too conservative, is the use of a hybrid powertrain in a flagship sports car not an aggressive, groundbreaking type of task? Isn't trying to get the "gas mileage of a 4 cylinder" in a ~500hp drivetrain also an aggressive goal?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
So take a deep breath.....back away from the Honda vape, and let's talk about the GT3.

Yes, I'd take a GT3 over the NSX.
Seems to be your the one smoking vapor: your German bias is showing. Other than Andreas Preuninger, Chris Harris and a handful of very lucky automotive journalists, who amongst us has driven a 991 GT3 yet?

The fact that you'd automatically take a GT3 (which you haven't driven yet) over an NSX 2.0 (which you haven't driven yet) strikes me as absurd.

Pure, ture sports cars are a rare and dying breed.....Porsche happens to build a rare gem in the GT3.
Agreed. I just wish it could be ordered minus the oversized wing, offered a manual transmission and optional ventilated seats (nitpicky).

...and put down the bong is my line
You should take your own advice then.

A sports car designed, tested and built in America whether your a Honda "fanboi" or not, should be exciting for all driving enthusiasts.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
A sports car designed, tested and built in America whether your a Honda "fanboi" or not, should be exciting for all driving enthusiasts.
I could point you toward the vette thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 PM
I feel the need...

I could point you toward the vette thread

But you'll have to convince me to grow a mullet first.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Ding! Ding!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Seems to be your the one smoking vapor: your German bias is showing. Other than Andreas Preuninger, Chris Harris and a handful of very lucky automotive journalists, who amongst us has driven a 991 GT3 yet?
No more absurd as your rah-rah for the NSX.

At least the GT3 has been driven.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I feel the need...

No more absurd as your rah-rah for the NSX.
Guilty as charged. I hope its shockingly good.

At least the GT3 has been driven.
I'm looking forward to taking one for a spin when they finally hit our shores from ze Deutschland.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Personally i think it needs At least 400-450 BEFORE the Electric motors

But that is just my opinion. I may be in the minority here but i dont care
I can easily see the electric motors adding 100 HP and GOBS of torque that is instant for the rear wheels. The benefit of this is what the original NSX had; Be efficient with power.

I think it will definitely surprise people in how fast it'll move. Along with this, a High revving light V6 will probably make it's way into the NSX too. I posted some estimated figures on HP and I foresaw about 360 HP from the engine and then another 120 or so from the electric motors.

Originally Posted by iforyou
Calling others "Mindless fanbois" is not necessary...really.

Very true.

For me, I am basing my preference based on whatever I've read/heard (car magazines, interviews with engineers, reviews of the eSH-AWD system on the Accord mule, etc). So, my expectations of the 2G NSX is about 400-450hp, ~3000-3500lb, mid-engine with eSH-AWD, EPA ratings around 30mpg, nice styling, nice interior, $100-150k, great handling with good driving feel, etc. Based on the above, I'd pick this NSX over the others. That doesn't mean the other cars are inferior, it's just that I prefer the NSX over those. Of course, anything can change when the NSX actually comes out.
I can see the MPG being much higher than 25 MPG. A TL-S with a 3.5L V6 from 2007 gets about 28MPG on the highway. The NSX will certainly be lighter, have the benefit of electric motors and a Dual Clutch 6+ speed trans. I can forsee 35+ MPG with cylinder deactivation, etc, etc and maybe an electric only mode that runs off power from the V6.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Let's just wait and see.

Knowing some/most of the products/decision that Honda/Acura came up within the past decade, it is hard for me to believe they will do anything else to "Advance" , besides shoving batteries in everything they build.
Acura, Always catching up, rarely ahead is the perfect way to explain it. Acura loves to unveil all it's latest and greatest all in one swoop or excludes it from everything. Forward collision warning, blind spot detection, night vision, etc are all technologies honda has had under wraps and is now putting into an accord! All of this stuff will get to the TL and acura lineup.

You are right in saying batteries are finding it's way into every car, but soon E-SH-AWD will be the normal powertrain and soon an FULLY E-SH-AWD without an gas motor will probably be the future. It's more efficient, agile and maintenance free compared to gas motors.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts

I think "conservative" can have various levels too. If you park the 1g NSX beside something like the Lambo Coutach or Diablo, I'd imagine most would say the NSX is more conservative in styling? IMO, it's a conservative exterior design that has aged extremely well. It didn't have suicide doors, extremely large wheels, big wheel flares, etc. The design is just well-balanced.

I agree, I'm not sure how well the 2G NSX will age in terms of its design. We will see.

That's right, the 1G NSX was not a power monster. However, its handling was amazing. I think this is what Honda is also aiming for with the 2G NSX.

Whoever said 1st gen NSX was conservative needs to realize that car came out in the 90s...

If you let me pick from a brand new 1st gen NSX or this Hybrid NSX for the same price today, i would personally take the 1st gen NSX because of its simplicity.

I am not a pro-racer, so track time is meaningless to me. But the simple mechanically feel is >>> all the electronics to make it faster.

That is why i like cars like S2000, E46 M3, old NSX and GT3.

I lost all hope for the NSX when Honda announced that it will be SHAWD with batteries.
I would much prefer highly tuned 3.5L or 3.7L V6 RWD that revs to 9k rpm than a hybrid. Yes it will have no torque, it is not like the previous nsx had any torque either.
Just like the word conservative, simplicity can have different levels too. You think the 1G NSX was simple because it doesn't use hybrid, SH-AWD, etc. However, 20 years ago, the NSX was a very technologically advanced car - all aluminium chassis and body, DOHC VTEC V6 that can rev to 8000rpm, 0.32 drag coefficient, resonance-type 3-stage variable volume intake system, and world's first application of titanium connecting rods on road cars are just a few examples.

Fast forward to 2013, these technologies probably don't sound all that advanced. Nowadays, even Ferrari is no longer offering manual transmission. To make the car worthy of the NSX name, new technologies have to be introduced. After all, NSX stands for New Sportscar eXperimental. It's not a NSX if it's just a freshened 1G NSX.

I think what you want is something that can slot below the 2G NSX, something that has around 300hp, less than 3000lb, with a MR layout.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 PM
The Third Ball

That's right, the 1G NSX was not a power monster. However, its handling was amazing.
wait...isnt that what I said?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

wait...isnt that what I said?
Hence I said I agree?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:52 PM
The Third Ball

Hence I said I agree?
forsooth
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

I think "conservative" can have various levels too. If you park the 1g NSX beside something like the Lambo Coutach or Diablo, I'd imagine most would say the NSX is more conservative in styling? IMO, it's a conservative exterior design that has aged extremely well. It didn't have suicide doors, extremely large wheels, big wheel flares, etc. The design is just well-balanced.

I agree, I'm not sure how well the 2G NSX will age in terms of its design. We will see.

That's right, the 1G NSX was not a power monster. However, its handling was amazing. I think this is what Honda is also aiming for with the 2G NSX.

Just like the word conservative, simplicity can have different levels too. You think the 1G NSX was simple because it doesn't use hybrid, SH-AWD, etc. However, 20 years ago, the NSX was a very technologically advanced car - all aluminium chassis and body, DOHC VTEC V6 that can rev to 8000rpm, 0.32 drag coefficient, resonance-type 3-stage variable volume intake system, and world's first application of titanium connecting rods on road cars are just a few examples.

Fast forward to 2013, these technologies probably don't sound all that advanced. Nowadays, even Ferrari is no longer offering manual transmission. To make the car worthy of the NSX name, new technologies have to be introduced. After all, NSX stands for New Sportscar eXperimental. It's not a NSX if it's just a freshened 1G NSX.

I think what you want is something that can slot below the 2G NSX, something that has around 300hp, less than 3000lb, with a MR layout.
I think all of us would love to see that.... for the past 10 years!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

MR layout....
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

MR layout....
I would be happy with just FR layout.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 5,914 Likes on 2,914 Posts
Umm, if you'd like further clarification of my post, its this simple: why would you disqualify a car which is not in production and hasn't been driven by YOU or anyone else in the car purchasing public.
I never said such a thing. Not sure what gave you the impression I had taken such a position.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
powerball winner.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...rball-lottery/
Project engineer Paul White said one of the first things he's going to buy with his winning Powerball lottery ticket is the Acura NSX car he's been eyeing on Craigslist for a couple of months, on sale for $30,000
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
^ it's sensible that he's not blowing it on a more expensive car.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by qingcong
Those descriptions also apply to the 1G NSX. The 1G NSX was also a very conservative design in powerplant and styling.

I'm not as concerned about pure power numbers as I am to see what they do with that power. That's what sets Honda products apart.

Personally I'm not in love with the hybrid system, but I can get excited about its possibilities and understand its role in modern times. I think we can all agree that gas is unsustainable and eventually there needs to be another solution. If this thing can do a 3s 0-60 and get 25-30mpg, that sets an incredible precedence for what a car is capable of and could be a springboard for possibilities in the future. It will change the way we think about electric systems; that they're not just boring powerplants for Priuses and public transport buses, but be a viable solution for exciting cars.
See i dont see that as setting an incredible precedence. Especially when A 450hp OHV V8 in the corvette already gets over 30mpg hwy and does 3s 0-60, and i fully expect the C7 to be even higher. As with the Laferrari,918,P1 the Hybrid isnt as much about saving fossil fuels as it is about the performance gains (especially in the ferrari as it cant run on electric only)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by csmeance
I can easily see the electric motors adding 100 HP and GOBS of torque that is instant for the rear wheels. The benefit of this is what the original NSX had; Be efficient with power.

I think it will definitely surprise people in how fast it'll move. Along with this, a High revving light V6 will probably make it's way into the NSX too. I posted some estimated figures on HP and I foresaw about 360 HP from the engine and then another 120 or so from the electric motors.
I dont doubt they will get over 100hp out of the electric motors. Ferrari is getting close o 200. What i do doubt (and I REALLY hope IM WRONG) is that honda will give it a light high revving V6. I dont see them using anything more than a slightly modified J35. I hope im wrong and i hope them getting back into F1 next year with the new Turbocharged KERS V6s is some sort of step or sign for them using a similar motor setup in the nsx
Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by biker
^ it's sensible that he's not blowing it on a more expensive car.
It is about resale value of Acura. that people still want to pay atleast half the price. Acura NSX is sensible investment with its excellent fuel economic, reliability and depreciation.
You have to understand that 0.92g pulling by TL-SH-AWD is with tall car and not so skinny tires like section 30 or extra wide rear tire. NSX is much closer to the ground and presumbly more wider tires than 245 series on TL-SH-AWD.

see this picture. it is much lower to the ground compared to TL.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
^ Just when this thread was getting sensible.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

I think it just occurred to me that he is a Bot.

We were talking about powerball and winner is buying a NSX. How can a living person somehow change the topic to NSX vs TL AWD vs. 335 after 1 sentence?

He has to be a Bot.

BTW: the tires/wheels on that 335 are not stock. Standard 335 comes in 17s 225s.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think all of us would love to see that.... for the past 10 years!
Yea it's shame that Honda is making this $100k+ high tech 2G NSX and the Honda Beat successor with may be 64hp......there's nothing in between the two.....seems like that's the main issue here....there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline that are relevant to us (or most of us because I'm sure there are some that can afford the 2G NSX with ease here).

See i dont see that as setting an incredible precedence. Especially when A 450hp OHV V8 in the corvette already gets over 30mpg hwy and does 3s 0-60, and i fully expect the C7 to be even higher. As with the Laferrari,918,P1 the Hybrid isnt as much about saving fossil fuels as it is about the performance gains (especially in the ferrari as it cant run on electric only)
As mentioned, 30mpg on the freeway is nice, but what about the city rating and the combined rating? After all, the latest Accord V6 is rated at 34mpg on the hwy, but people are getting 40mpg in the real world. The latest C7 stingray is rated at 17/29/21. Porsche 911 S is rated at 19/27/22. It's within the same ball park. No data is available for the NSX, but assuming it's rated as efficient as the 4000lb + RLX, then we are looking at 30/30/30.

Cars like the Laferrari, 918, and P1 will cost in the $1 million range. I see the NSX as being 50% of the above, at 10% of the cost.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but Honda said they expected "better fuel efficiency than a 4 cylinder", whatever that means. However you slice it, 500hp and fuel efficiency of a 4 cylinder is a pretty big deal. I usually don't trust the MPG ratings of American cars. They'll say 28MPG, but it may be closer to 25MPG. If Honda says 28, it may be closer to 30. Fuelly.com bears this out. I guess we'll see WRT the 2gen NSX.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
^ Just when this thread was getting sensible.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

I think it just occurred to me that he is a Bot.

We were talking about powerball and winner is buying a NSX. How can a living person somehow change the topic to NSX vs TL AWD vs. 335 after 1 sentence?

He has to be a Bot.

BTW: the tires/wheels on that 335 are not stock. Standard 335 comes in 17s 225s.
I deliberetly posted this pics with optional sport wheels and tire set. It is this setup that RWD and much lower height BMW coupe can achieve higher than 0.9gs.
NSX is much lower to the ground than TL-SH-AWD and NSX will have much wider tires than TL. it will really be super handling sports car. ride height and tire have very important influence on handling along with light weight rims.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I deliberetly posted this pics with optional sport wheels and tire set. It is this setup that RWD and much lower height BMW coupe can achieve higher than 0.9gs.
NSX is much lower to the ground than TL-SH-AWD and NSX will have much wider tires than TL. it will really be super handling sports car. ride height and tire have very important influence on handling along with light weight rims.

Those arent optional sport wheels.

I have high hopes for the next NSX but its still another 2 years out with no solid engine stats yet? Sheesh, I thought the i8 was taking long but this is absurd!

$115k price tag doesnt seem to bad for a hybrid sports car though.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,772 Likes on 13,966 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Those arent optional sport wheels.

I have high hopes for the next NSX but its still another 2 years out with no solid engine stats yet? Sheesh, I thought the i8 was taking long but this is absurd!

$115k price tag doesnt seem to bad for a hybrid sports car though.
The NSX is the Duke Nukem of cars.

Vaporcar...nothing to see. And just watch...just as they reveal some awesome engine stats that everyone is happy about...they cancel the car citing poor economy or bad weather or something.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 5,914 Likes on 2,914 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha

Vaporcar...nothing to see. And just watch...just as they reveal some awesome engine stats that everyone is happy about...they cancel the car citing poor economy or bad weather or something.
I'm guessing there won't be any tsunamis in Ohio, so they can't use that one.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha

Pretty much.

The marketing with the videos baffles me too.

"Listen to how good the NSX sounds, BUT this isnt the production engine or exhaust that will be on it" Why did they bother showing it then.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
It is about resale value of Acura. that people still want to pay atleast half the price. Acura NSX is sensible investment with its excellent fuel economic, reliability and depreciation.
You have to understand that 0.92g pulling by TL-SH-AWD is with tall car and not so skinny tires like section 30 or extra wide rear tire. NSX is much closer to the ground and presumbly more wider tires than 245 series on TL-SH-AWD.

see this picture. it is much lower to the ground compared to TL.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:58 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
The marketing with the videos baffles me too.
The funniest part of the video was the reload. You'd think the brilliant marketing minds of Acura would say, jeez - we can be almost sure this thing is gonna be hyped all over teh interwebz.

Instead of putting a struggling ILX or slow selling RLX in the back of the transport truck, what do we see...
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by qingcong
Well I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but Honda said they expected "better fuel efficiency than a 4 cylinder", whatever that means. However you slice it, 500hp and fuel efficiency of a 4 cylinder is a pretty big deal. I usually don't trust the MPG ratings of American cars. They'll say 28MPG, but it may be closer to 25MPG. If Honda says 28, it may be closer to 30. Fuelly.com bears this out. I guess we'll see WRT the 2gen NSX.
Every GM vehicle i have owned has gotten better than the EPA/Manufacturer rating. Same can be said for the Vette. If it says 29 hwy it will probably be closer to 35. The C6 is already getting those type of numbers. The C7 is even more efficient, better gearing, better aero and has Cyl deactivation.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Cars like the Laferrari, 918, and P1 will cost in the $1 million range. I see the NSX as being 50% of the above, at 10% of the cost.
And your point is what? That the NSX costs less? We/I wasnt comparing cost.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News