Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
I dont see them really having the ability to push the material development envelope and they wont be able to make the first reliable supercar (...again).

...so... well... what if the performance ends up on par with the 458 and the MP4?

Then would it be worthy of the moniker?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
I dont see them really having the ability to push the material development envelope and they wont be able to make the first reliable supercar (...again).

...so... well... what if the performance ends up on par with the 458 and the MP4?

Then would it be worthy of the moniker?
Sure. But, as they say...you gotta pay if you wanna play. Show me a tank-like exotic...I know of none. They are all pretty much fragile cars which need constant tuning and maintenance.

The original NSX was one of the FIRST to be the best of both worlds...

And if this new NSX can be on par with the Ferrari 458, I'll be giggling for years.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Consider the hybrid powertrain too. Dunno exactly how Acura will go about it but not only will it result in better performance in a straight line and in the corners, but potentially better MPG as well.

what's the fuel economy like on a 458? Or any Ferrari for that matter?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 5,915 Likes on 2,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Consider the hybrid powertrain too. Dunno exactly how Acura will go about it but not only will it result in better performance in a straight line and in the corners, but potentially better MPG as well.

what's the fuel economy like on a 458? Or any Ferrari for that matter?
Seriously? If I was buying a Ferrari I wouldn't think twice about the mpg. I'm not sure I would even think once about it.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Seriously? If I was buying a Ferrari I wouldn't think twice about the mpg. I'm not sure I would even think once about it.

I drive an S2000. Now, granted I get decent mileage (as high as 31 mpg) but if you're buying a sports car, not to mention a six figure exotic, you honestly don't care about fuel economy. It's ALL about the looks and the feel.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I drive an S2000. Now, granted I get decent mileage (as high as 31 mpg) but if you're buying a sports car, not to mention a six figure exotic, you honestly don't care about fuel economy. It's ALL about the looks and the feel.
well, duh

My point is that it is something that Acura may try and crown as a selling or bragging point. At the very least, it might just be another noteworthy thing in an exotic landscape which many other manufacturers are encroaching on. The six figure market once dominated by the big three (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche) have stiff competition these days (Audi, AM, Maserati, Lexus, Chevrolet, Nissan, etc.)

What is Acura doing to make their car stand out and why are they putting in a hybrid drivetrain in their supercar when nobody else is?

Gordon Murray himself was inspired by the day-to-day drivability of the original NSX and designed the McLaren F1 with the same goals in mind. I can say with confidence that most people don't daily drive their Ferraris. Except maybe Rick.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Costco
What is Acura doing to make their car stand out and why are they putting in a hybrid drivetrain in their supercar when nobody else is?
Uhh, Porsche 918? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918

IIRC, I believe the new Enzo replacement is supposed to have a hybrid system as well.

The NSX doesn't make much of a splash compared to those two.

Last edited by ttribe; 01-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Uhh, Porsche 918? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918

IIRC, I believe the new Enzo replacement is supposed to have a hybrid system as well.

totally forgot about the 918. One of my favorite looking Porsches too...

The NSX looked great at the car show, if that means anything. Quite a few people were interested in it. But not as much as the LF-A...
ttribe (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,255 Likes on 5,219 Posts
As it shouldn't - the other two are $850k and $1m+ vehicles - what is the NSX going to cost? A tenth of that? Indeed, the mere fact that those other cars were even brought up in here tells me the NSX has some serious tech bang for the buck!
The following 2 users liked this post by srika:
AZP-TL (01-26-2013), phile (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by srika
As it shouldn't - the other two are $850k and $1m+ vehicles - what is the NSX going to cost? A tenth of that? Indeed, the mere fact that those other cars were even brought up in here tells me the NSX has some serious tech bang for the buck!
I see your point, but I was mostly addressing the "supercar" argument.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Really? The same namesake that was created for the sole purpose of sticking it to Enzo Ferrari...?

Mid-engined exotic?

Again, let me be really clear, I love this iteration of the NSX...it LOOKS great. But, does it have the performance to live up to its origins?
Dude...wow. The NSX's original creation is a great fireside story.

The original has some Italian roots because it was Pininfarina that was approached to design the look. After approving of the look, Honda's next edict to its engineers was that it was to be as good as ANYTHING from Italy or Germany.

That's some tall order from a company known to make Civics and Accords. The benchmark was the iconic Ferrari 328 (can you say that is the case for this iteration of the NSX? No.)...

Honda also pushed the envelope with this car back then because the NSX was the first production vehicle to have an all-aluminium body...Add that to a mid-engined design and voila...you have a true exotic. From Japan. I'm not kidding when I said it was made to stick-it to Enzo Ferrari. It was reported that Enzo was actually livid that the NSX out-performed his 328 by some people in Japan...
My dream car since I was 10 yr old has always been the 1g NSX. So I know exactly what kind of car it is

Gordon Murray used the NSX as the template/target for the McLaren F1. He didn't use Ferrari, porsche, Lambo. What more has to be said about the NSX?

The car was tested by Senna and tuned with his advice.

The NSX actually caused companies like Ferrari and Porsche to get back to the drawing board and come up with MUCH better cars. Despite how popular they were back then, they were not that easy to live with and stuff.

The same can't be said regarding the latest Ferraris and Porsches. They are much better now, they have learnt the lesson from the NSX.

What can Honda make/design that will get others thinking hard again? Making something that is super fast on a track without costing over $100k? Well, that has always been the design goal of the GT-R since the 1980's with the R32 GT-R. That thing was just as fast, if not faster than the NSX, while costing much less. The newest GTR is the same. The NSX surely should not follow that route.

This is where the 2g NSX comes in. It doesn't have to be the fastest, it doesn't have to have the best performance to dollar ratio. What it should deliver is innovative ideas and technologies that are new and meaningful. The 1st gen NSX introduced things like titanium conrods, aluminum body and chassis, excellent reliability, user-friendly driving manners, etc. The 2g NSX on the other hand brings in things like torque vectoring using electric motors and excellent fuel efficiency for a super car.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I see it differently though....that's what the NSX should stand for partly. How often do you see a 400-500hp supercar getting 30mpg combined? That's probably something the new NSX owner can brag about? "My NSX does 0-60mph in 3's, 1/4 mile in the 11's, lap the ring as fast as the GTR, but gets 30mpg combined."

Obviously those are random numbers as they are used to convey my point.
Legend2TL (01-18-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,255 Likes on 5,219 Posts
I see your point, but I was mostly addressing the "supercar" argument.
This NSX will be a supercar in it's own right, but no, it won't be anywhere near the most extravagant vehicles Porsche and Ferrari have ever made.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
So it will be like the R8 then.

Perhaps that's why it looks like it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Dude...wow. The NSX's original creation is a great fireside story.

The original has some Italian roots because it was Pininfarina that was approached to design the look. After approving of the look, Honda's next edict to its engineers was that it was to be as good as ANYTHING from Italy or Germany.

That's some tall order from a company known to make Civics and Accords. The benchmark was the iconic Ferrari 328 (can you say that is the case for this iteration of the NSX? No.)...

Honda also pushed the envelope with this car back then because the NSX was the first production vehicle to have an all-aluminium body...Add that to a mid-engined design and voila...you have a true exotic. From Japan. I'm not kidding when I said it was made to stick-it to Enzo Ferrari. It was reported that Enzo was actually livid that the NSX out-performed his 328 by some people in Japan...
And remember, Soichiro Honda was still alive and very involved with the company at this point. He being a lot like Steve Jobs (a visionary and a REAL pusher of people) made things happen and loved to outdo the competition, even if it meant losing money.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iforyou
I see it differently though....that's what the NSX should stand for partly. How often do you see a 400-500hp supercar getting 30mpg combined? That's probably something the new NSX owner can brag about? "My NSX does 0-60mph in 3's, 1/4 mile in the 11's, lap the ring as fast as the GTR, but gets 30mpg combined."

Obviously those are random numbers as they are used to convey my point.
Personally, I agree. And Honda of course, will be promoting just that. But the market over all, will judge it on its actual supercar characteristics. Styling and performance > *.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I am Definitely loving the new NSX concept! It is elegant, modern, exotic, all wrapped in a sporty package. I hope it will arrive soon!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
And Moog did remind me of something: Does THIS iteration of the NSX...does THIS live up to the billing of the previous? Is it a Ferrari-fighter? Sadly, all indications are no.
How do we know this when the performance figures have been tight-lipped?
It's unfortunate that Honda/Acura has taken the "NSX" namesake and made it into this. Still, given the lack of true high performance vehicles for the last several years...you can see just how starved the fans are because of all the excitement with this unveiling.
Again, we haven't seen how this car has performed. How is it unfortunate?
Still, if you think about it, this NSX is NOT a Ferrari-fighter...so, technically, it is not truly an upgrade or continuation of the racing heritage that the original was born from.

Food for thought. Still...I like this NSX.
Again, proof of this? We haven't even been told the power figures or seen what this car can do on the track.

The only thing we seem to really know is that it will have a system similar to the 918 Spyder, yet everyone seems to absolutely love that car.

The NSX actually outperformed the 348 which is where Enzo became upset because his car had just debuted.

But, let's be honest. Ferrari had gotten lazy with his production cars when he was busy with the GTO & F40.

Sure. But, as they say...you gotta pay if you wanna play. Show me a tank-like exotic...I know of none. They are all pretty much fragile cars which need constant tuning and maintenance.
Um, the F430 & Gallardo have become extremely reliable cars & I imagine the 458 has followed suit. Simon George has 250,000+ miles on his 2004 Murcielago, half of which are track miles. It's had a couple issues, but the engine is still original & it fires up every time. As such, there are several Ferraris pushing this mileage as well (190,000 on a 512TR, 200,000 on a 355, & a local 308 owner has 107,000+ on his with just regular maintenance).

While this isn't normal usage, it does happen more often than not. The only catch is as you said; you have to pay to play.

As far as the new NSX goes, I believe this car will go far. If it gives any hope, Takanobu Ito is in charge of this new NSX & was also in charge of the original NSX. If anyone knows how this car should be developed as a successor to the first NSX, it should be the man who looked over the NSX's original development.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 01-17-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
As far as the new NSX goes, I believe this car will go far. If it gives any hope, Takanobu Ito is in charge of this new NSX & was also in charge of the original NSX. If anyone knows how this car should be developed as a successor to the first NSX, it should be the man who looked over the NSX's original development.
I didn't realize Ito had moved to Ohio!

Talk about a car company that was lost, but hopefully now has been found. Just think of the time, money and engineering resources that Honda has frittered away on money losing projects like Asimo and Hondajet.

Let's get back to your core strengths please: building fun, great handling, fuel efficient and relatively inexpensive cars that rise above appliances.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Um, the F430 & Gallardo have become extremely reliable cars & I imagine the 458 has followed suit. Simon George has 250,000+ miles on his 2004 Murcielago, half of which are track miles. It's had a couple issues, but the engine is still original & it fires up every time. As such, there are several Ferraris pushing this mileage as well (190,000 on a 512TR, 200,000 on a 355, & a local 308 owner has 107,000+ on his with just regular maintenance).

While this isn't normal usage, it does happen more often than not. The only catch is as you said; you have to pay to play.
I see the reliability in recent F1 cars is now trickling down to the road cars.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
This thing will lap the ring every bit as fast as the GTR Just sayin...
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
I hope the performance of this car is good and jaw-dropping. Really, really do. We need it. HONDA needs it.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I hope the performance of this car is good and jaw-dropping. Really, really do. We need it. HONDA needs it.
I hope so too, and MPG (which I am aware no one cares for in this price range) to boot.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I didn't realize Ito had moved to Ohio!

Talk about a car company that was lost, but hopefully now has been found. Just think of the time, money and engineering resources that Honda has frittered away on money losing projects like Asimo and Hondajet.

Let's get back to your core strengths please: building fun, great handling, fuel efficient and relatively inexpensive cars that rise above appliances.
You do realize the original nsx and the s2000 lost honda/acura money. They cost more to produce then they sold for. Great cars but not money makers.

Would be stupid for them to do that again. The way for honda/acura to make money is suv's and sedans. Most ppl are too concerned about the badge and won't buy an expensive honda. Same issue with the Lexus lfa. It wasn't done for profit. It was done for product development and to show the public the Japanese can build supercars.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
It's about time for Honda/Acura to show the world they can build super cars again IMO.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's about time for Honda/Acura to show the world they can build super cars again IMO.
I'm waiting for Honda/Acura to get around to building great looking performing non-super cars again.

...but that might be asking for too much.
The following 3 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
dred87 (02-24-2013), jwong77 (01-18-2013), ttribe (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
..... only if this NSX concept can really make it this time into the Acura show rooms.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the look of the new NSX. It is not as impressive as the 1991 NSX in 1990, but it is a very competent design considering how boring Honda/Acura design has been the past decade. It is certainly MUCH better looking and more cohesive than the Lexus LFA which, to my eyes, is a total train wreck.

As for whether its impact could be as great? Well, let's wait for performance figures. If it can beat a Ferrari Italia's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of low 3s and low 11s, and outhandle it like how the original NSX bitch slapped the Ferrari 328, then it will be impressive indeed. If it is merely as fast as a V10 Audi R8, then that would be just OK. If it has V10 R8 performance and nets 40 mpg, THEN that would pretty flipping impressive.

Too bad Ayrton Senna is no longer alive to test drive and give his advice on final suspension calibrations.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
You do realize the original nsx and the s2000 lost honda/acura money. They cost more to produce then they sold for. Great cars but not money makers.

Would be stupid for them to do that again. The way for honda/acura to make money is suv's and sedans. Most ppl are too concerned about the badge and won't buy an expensive honda. Same issue with the Lexus lfa. It wasn't done for profit. It was done for product development and to show the public the Japanese can build supercars.
The LFA has more to do with the fact that it took nine years of R&D and lapping the Nurburgring continuously. Of course they weren't going to make any money on it when they stuck a fat $400,000 sticker on it afterwards.

But, if this car follows in the path of the GT-R, it will sell & it will make money. Who the fuck ever thought of buying a $70,000 Nissan back in 2001, 2005, & 2007 when the car was finally confirmed for production? Hell, they even sell a $160,000 Spec-V model of it.

If people will spend $160,000 for a Nissan, they will spend $120,000+/- for the NSX, as long as it performs as intended.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 01-17-2013 at 09:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rick_TL-S:
00TL-P3.2 (01-18-2013), AZP-TL (05-14-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I'm waiting for Honda/Acura to get around to building great looking performing non-super cars again.

...but that might be asking for too much.
Riiight.. how many Acuras have ever fit that definition for you
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Dude give it up already.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Give what up? It doesn't matter whether or not the NSX beats the latest Ferrari. On most tracks the 2012 GTR is equal or faster than the 458 and no one cares.

Last edited by MTEAZY; 01-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Yes, I do realize they were halo cars for their respective brands and not money makers, but they also built tremendous brand equity and goodwill.

Would be stupid for them to do that again. The way for honda/acura to make money is suv's and sedans.
I respectfully disagree, you can make money off of your bread and butter line-up, but you still need halo cars to trickle down tech to your mainstream line-up.

Race on Sunday, sell on Monday
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,127 Likes on 2,564 Posts

FWIW, in a Wall Street Journal article years ago. The 1G NSX lost money but the S2000 was profitable.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,127 Likes on 2,564 Posts
it's about time for honda/acura to show the world they can build super cars again imo.
qft +1
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Just think of the time, money and engineering resources that Honda has frittered away on money losing projects like Asimo and Hondajet.
Asimo maybe, but it is very likely the HondaJet adventure will eventually make money.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Why would anyone buy this over the new c7 corvette. Corvette is best looking car ever made, fastest car made, has best interior made, and gets girls wetter and hornier than any other car. The vette is perfect whereas when I see this silly overpriced honda I just laugh. If it is a hybrid it is not a true supercar. Only reason you'd buy this is if you are a stupid anti-American a-hole.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM

Why would anyone buy this over the new c7 corvette. Corvette is best looking car ever made, fastest car made, has best interior made, and gets girls wetter and hornier than any other car. The vette is perfect whereas when I see this silly overpriced honda I just laugh. If it is a hybrid it is not a true supercar. Only reason you'd buy this is if you are a stupid anti-American a-hole.
I'm curious, do you ever post something of substance at this point, or is trolling your pass-time on here? Having been on this board since 2003, I can't imagine you've always been this way,.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I'm curious, do you ever post something of substance at this point, or is trolling your pass-time on here? Having been on this board since 2003, I can't imagine you've always been this way,.
Come on, I think between this and the killing spree posts there's a good chance he's joking.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Come on, I think between this and the killing spree posts there's a good chance he's joking.
Not the pattern I've been seeing.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM

obvious troll is obvious
KillerG (01-19-2013)

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News