Video Through My Navi ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001 | 12:35 PM
Instructor

Post Video Through My Navi ...

Hi Guys & Gals,
Ok, who in here already has a video coming throught their navigation and who is intrested in having it ? i am very much intrested in it.
If you have it can you tell me how good it looks ? Is it see able ?

Thanks
Prashant

------------------
2000, Acura TL, Black, Navi, Factory Wood Kit, Rear Spoiler,
Tinted, Viper Alaram & Auto Starter. Will try to put pics as soon as I can.
Old 03-27-2001 | 02:05 PM
O.G.

There are a few people on this board that can watch video on their navi, including me. The guy you have to talk to is Ron (Streeteffectz) on this forum. He is the one installing it. But you have to purchase the decoder from a guy name Steve. Steve's e-mail is stevestms@aol.com. Once you get the decoder, get in touch with Ron.
BTW, the clarity on the video is really good and it will not burn out your navi.
Old 03-27-2001 | 06:12 PM
Instructor

Talking

Ditto, the picture quality exceeded my expectations. Now the sound through the FM Modulator is a little disappointing.
Old 03-27-2001 | 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

The sound level is very low, you have to "pump up the volume", shall we say. Other then that. The video's quality is excellent as seen in other TL's. Mine should be done this or next weekend, when I get my TL back from the bodyshop.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob, Alpine CHM-S620 6-disc cd-changer

Coming soon...
Video in my Navi Kit. & Playstation 2
New Paint Job
JL Audio 12w6 Sub. & Audiobahn A1800E Amp.
Old 03-27-2001 | 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by whitediamondnav:
Ditto, the picture quality exceeded my expectations. Now the sound through the FM Modulator is a little disappointing.
Hey your in MD!! can I ask who did your install?

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs/Sway/Headers Polarg m-6.
Old 03-27-2001 | 08:05 PM
Banned

I put a different kind of modulator in Blackshadows car today....sound quality is MUCH better since the gain is adjustable and I noise supressed the incoming audio and actually sounds pretty decent and is MUCH louder than the other modulators I have used.
Old 03-27-2001 | 10:13 PM
Instructor

Hey Streeteffectz,
what if we put a 5.1 system in the car ? I have the system, can you install it for me ?
and i am talking with steve about the new KIT that he is working on. He says the is back ordered on some of the wires so, let see when can i get my hands on it.

But can you tell me the install price with the 5.1 system and without the system please?

Thanks
Prashant

P.S. I am in new jersey too )

------------------
Old 03-27-2001 | 10:52 PM
O.G.

Hey guys,

Ron just finished installing the navi/video in my car today. Damn, from the pictures they look sweet as hell. I will pick up my car tomorrow. I can't wait to see it in person.
But trust me, you really don't want to see the behind the scene of how he does it. Check out these pics: http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006413.html
I am bringing my car to the meet this weekend, March 31st. Everybody is welcome to come take a look.
Old 03-27-2001 | 11:19 PM
Racer

i want my navi to play dvd also,
Old 03-28-2001 | 05:59 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Hey your in MD!! can I ask who did your install?

I did! I added a VCR w/tuner, FM modulator, and roof-liner antenna alone with the NAVI decoder. The hardest part is getting the radio out which mean taking out the center console. What a job!!
Old 03-29-2001 | 12:02 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by StreetEffectz:
I put a different kind of modulator in Blackshadows car today....sound quality is MUCH better since the gain is adjustable and I noise supressed the incoming audio and actually sounds pretty decent and is MUCH louder than the other modulators I have used.
Which modulator did you change too? Whenever you figure out the CD Audio solution, I like to be your first customer .
Old 03-29-2001 | 02:15 AM
Instructor

I'm glad that those of you with 'Video On My Navi' are happy with the picture quality. A few of my recent customers have placed the Video On My Navi decoder next to the navigation computer (in trunk) rather than behind the dashboard.

For those of you wanting to purchase a Video On My Navi kit, I'm out of stock due to parts shortage. Since the decoder might be available from other sources, I'm considering publishing "how to build" the original Video On My Navi product. Would people be interested in these instructions?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 03-29-2001 | 08:49 AM
Instructor

hey Steve,
That would be great. not that i m going to make video on my navi kit myself but i think it would help other people outside who don't have any one to install this kit for them. Probably they can try to do it themselves and will be the happy.

What do u guys think. Atleast that will help other people who want Navi on video and r not in nj or ny.

Prashant Patel

------------------
Old 03-29-2001 | 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Hey Ron,

The RF Modulator that you put in Blackshadow's TL, is that the same one that's in my TL right now? or is it different?

Joey

------------------

In da works...
Video in my Navi Kit. & Playstation 2(Almost Done)
New Paint Job(Should be done this weekend)
Old 03-29-2001 | 07:27 PM
Banned

It's different. You got the deluxe kit, no? I forgot already! LOL
Old 03-29-2001 | 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

No I didn't get the deluxe kit as you suggested (Steve don't read this) LOL.

I got the modulator from you. Don't know which model, can't look at it since I don't got the car back yet. Can't wait.... Should be sometime this weekend or Monday.

------------------

In da works...
Video in my Navi Kit. & Playstation 2(Almost Done)
New Paint Job(Should be done this weekend)
Old 03-29-2001 | 11:44 PM

Talking

Hey Steve,

Yeah I think it would be cool if you could post the instructions. I sent you an email asking if you're still selling the kit, and since I haven't heard from you, I'm assuming this is why. So yeah, if you're thinking of posting this info somewhere, or maybe even selling it, I would definitely be interested.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2001 | 11:16 PM
Instructor

I'm glad you purchased it from Ron then!

------------------
Old 04-03-2001 | 11:23 PM

Thumbs up

Steve, posting instructions would be awesome, especially for those interested in trying to hook up VGA output!!

You the man, thanks for keeping it real!
Old 04-03-2001 | 11:32 PM
Instructor

I'll work on the instructions on how to build, but this won't give you VGA output - only RGB for the navigation display.

If you want VGA output better use a Cheese video box.. I kid you not with this name! See www.tvone.com. Ron has installed one of these and could give you full report!

Steve

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SteveStMS on April 04, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-04-2001 | 07:01 PM
Instructor

The decoders output is analog RGB + Composite Sync (4 wires).

To go to VGA you will want the Cheese Video Box, the decoder I'm using won't output VGA.
Old 04-04-2001 | 10:01 PM
Instructor

Hi Steve,
sorry i have been cought up with work lately at job. I didn't really get change to find the wires. Did you find them ?

is anything ready yet that i can get ?

do let me know.

thanks
Prashant Patel

------------------
Old 04-04-2001 | 11:20 PM

I was just wondering if you anyone got this to work with the 6-disk changer in the new TL-S? It appears that it should work with any display input. Just curious for future reference.

Finally a working DVD option on the Navi screen. Keep up the great work and can't wait for more info and pics.
Old 04-04-2001 | 11:44 PM

Steve,

Are there RGB, HSYNC and VSYNC (5) output wires on the decoder?

Does anyone know of a cheap "VGA to RGB" solution? Is there a video card that does this?

Old 04-05-2001 | 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Hey Steve are you still taking orders for the navi video kit. I have sent two emails inquiring about pricing and have not heard back from you yet. If you don't sell them anymore can you let me know what that decoder is exactly and where I can obtain one. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2001 | 02:41 AM
Instructor

Angry

OK, I just upgrade the connectors for audio through my stock stereo using a FM modulator. I added a RCA noise filter coming from the VCR. I hoped it would reduce the "hissing" sounds feeding through. It may have, but not enough. Now, I'm going to upgrade the audio cables running from the trunk to the back of the radio to the modulator.
Also, Streetz recommended that I replace my "low-end" modulator with one made by JVC. It's on order. So, I will let you guys know how if these upgrades noticeably improve the audio reproduction...I just want sounds that equals the excellent picture I have now.
Old 04-06-2001 | 02:02 PM
Instructor

Ron had told me that Audiovox RF modulators where one of the best, that is what I've shipped with many Deluxe Video On My Navi kits. I take it yours was not a Audiovox?

I've held off on taking new orders because of these reasons. 1) My supplier has the video decoders on back order, but has still charged me :{ for my last order! 2) I need to fill all orders for people who have been waiting 3) I'm testing a new design built around Pioneer GEX-P7000TV tuner, AV switcher with wireless remote control. The first video tests on this looked good, but it lacked on-screen display (OSD) for channel numbers and labeling. I know what the problem is, but not sure if I can resolve it easy - still working on it!
Old 04-07-2001 | 09:59 AM
Instructor

Question

For those of you that have a TV tuner feeding through your navi monitor, what type of antenna are you using to get reception? Thanks.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by whitediamondnav on April 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-07-2001 | 02:04 PM
Instructor

Question

Steve,

Exactly what do you mean by "external mounted"! Will I have to have something sticking out the side or back of my car? Can this be mounted in the roof liner, back window or trunk? Thanks.

P.S. My neighbor has a $40K Range Rover, but is jealous of my TL with TV...Thanks!
Old 04-07-2001 | 02:49 PM
Instructor

Yes, the two external mounts on the Santeca ME-9900 have extendable rabbit ear like antennas. They fold away nice and neat. If the signal is strong enough they don't have to be extended.
Old 04-07-2001 | 06:32 PM
Instructor

The instructions for the ME-9900 state the two base antennas can be mounted inside or outside the rear window. Inside mount will require 23.5" of rear window height. It's recommended to have the rabbit ears open 90 degrees so the bottom pole will reside about 4 inches up from your back dash. Not such a clean install and unsightly rear view mirror view.

The pioneer AN-G3 on the other hand can be mounted inside fairly close to window edges, not distracting the view. So my recommendation is to go for Pioneer AN-G3 if you want internal and have 4 plug diversity antenna inputs on your TV tuner and Santeca mounted external if you have 1 RF antenna input on your TV tuner.

I would not mount a mobile TV antenna behind metal (ground) of your car, such as in the trunk or headliner.

Steve

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SteveStMS on April 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-07-2001 | 11:30 PM
Instructor

I'm using a Clarion 3 pole inside + 1 pole outside amplified diversity antenna in back of a Honda Odyssey. Not such a good solution, because center pole is in the middle of rear window! A better solution for a sedan would be Pioneer's AN-G3. The poles can be mounted on L&R sides and across the bottom inside the rear window.

Probably the best performing mobile antenna on the market is Santeca's ME-9900 (http://www.santeca.com/antennas/index.html). It's external mount only, but amplifier and diversity system have best gain. The Santeca is great if your TV tuner only has 1 antenna input, because it has it's own diversity amplifier and single RF output.

Hope this helps,
Steve

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SteveStMS on April 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-08-2001 | 07:21 PM
Instructor

Question

Originally posted by SteveStMS:
The instructions for the ME-9900 state the two base antennas can be mounted inside or outside the rear window. Inside mount will require 23.5" of rear window height. It's recommended to have the rabbit ears open 90 degrees so the bottom pole will reside about 4 inches up from your back dash. Not such a clean install and unsightly rear view mirror view.

The pioneer AN-G3 on the other hand can be mounted inside fairly close to window edges, not distracting the view. So my recommendation is to go for Pioneer AN-G3 if you want internal and have 4 plug diversity antenna inputs on your TV tuner and Santeca mounted external if you have 1 RF antenna input on your TV tuner.

I would not mount a mobile TV antenna behind metal (ground) of your car, such as in the trunk or headliner.

Steve

&lt;FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial"&gt;[This message has been edited by SteveStMS on April 07, 2001 @ ]&lt;/font&gt;
Is anyone currently using the ME 9900 mobile antenna by Santeca? How you like it?
Thanks,

Rod

Old 04-10-2001 | 08:48 PM
Cruisin'

Wink

SE -

Nice job on the car video system... I noticed that it is 2-3K to do a similar job. What would it be to do only the dash (nav) screen? What is needed? How hard is it to do? (it's a long drive from Tampa!). How is the sound - can it be sent through the cars audio/speakers?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

------------------
Old 04-11-2001 | 07:44 PM
Instructor

Steve,
now I can see why you haven't e-mailed me back inregards to purchasing the "video on my navi" kit. I dont know if you are taking future orders for the "deluxe", but i can assure you that I want one, and if need be I will give you a deposit. just e-mail w/ some info, thanks
matt

------------------
00 tl silver, navi, factory kit, wing, comptech springs, exhaust,weapon R intake,18 in. enkei spider 1's, and a full system upgrade,alarm bulbs,inspire tailights, mugen grille & chrome cl type s wheels. More to come
Old 04-14-2001 | 10:47 PM
10th Gear

Talking

Steve PLEASE post the instructions for building the kit, many of us "computer age" guys are very handy with this stuff. Im sure all of us would be willing to even pay you a nominal fee for the "right" way to do it. Thanks.