TSX Tweeter Installation Guide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Tweeter Installation Guide?

I see lots of guides/advice about installing 6x9s and door speakers, so I'm not worried about that, but I would like to feel a little more confident when I get the new tweeters in there. I searched and couldn't find anything specific, but if anyone more skilled in search can find some detailed advice on installing new dash tweeters, or provide their own advice, I'd appreciate it.

I'm installing the Alpine SPS-171A components, so the tweeters from that kit. I already know not to use the crossovers, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get the old tweeters out and then wire up and replace the new speakers so they'll fit perfectly. The 171A kit came with a bunch of mounting brackets/harnesses, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use them for the tsx. Are the new tweeters meant to pop out of the dash, stay hidden under the original grill cover, or is it my choice?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The OEM tweeters are very easy to remove. I used a small flathead screwdriver (wrapped in electrical tape) to pry under the edge ring. Once you pry it up a bit then just pull, they come out pretty easily. There is only about 2-3 inches of play in the speaker wire so don't yank them out too far. The connector plug is at the base of the tweeter.

Once you unplug the tweeter make sure you don't drop the speaker wire/plug back into the hole, it will be a PITA to dig back out. I used a pen which I slid between the two wires to support the plug and prevent it from slipping back in the hole.

I don't know what type of connectors (or bare wire?) come with your new tweeters. You can try to buy a connector that will plug into the connector on the wire or you can use t-taps. I used t-taps because that's what was included with my Avincar kit. They worked great and can be removed with ease if I want to go back to the OEM tweeters.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
T-Tap the tweeter wires, it will also help you not destroy the oem connection. I cut and soldered mine, but in hindsight wish I hadn't.

Again, the old tweeters pop out, and your new ones drop in. Simple as that. They will most likely not sit flush with the dash like the old ones, but will still look good.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I've been searching but haven't found an answer to this: which wire is positive and which is negative on the tweets?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
It shouldn't matter as long as you wire both sides identically. Wiring one tweeter opposite of the other will put them out of phase.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:08 AM
noclownn

I need immediate desperate help I am in the middle of a complete install!!

First
The 20 pin harness for the speakers that you pull out of the factory amp.
Does anyone know what wires are for the drivers side woofer?
Or even better if someone has a diagram stating what all the wires are on the 20 pin connector?

Second
Where is the best place to run the amp power wire from under the hood to inside the car? In othe

Third
where and how do you guys recommend doing the ground for the amp?