Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002 | 06:39 PM
Advanced

Question Torsion Bars

How do you remove the torsion bars under the back deck? I dont want to cut them out because I'm not sure if my gas strut solution will work, so if I remove them, I may need to put them back (although I really hope not).
Old 07-10-2002 | 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe it is welded on. If you want it off, you have to saw it off.
Old 07-11-2002 | 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

their not welded on their under tight pressure cus their spinrg loaded do not i repeat DO NOT cut them......you must de compress it first......not sure how but i know you have to decompress it
Old 07-11-2002 | 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

DO NOT CUT THEM THEY WILL SNAP BACK INTO YOUR FACE OR ARM AND HURT YOU VERY BADLY! THERE IS A LOT OF TENSION ON THEM. There is a way to remove them. There is a tool you can get for $8 at the dealer. Or I removed them by prying carefully with the handle from a long socket wrench or you could use a strong long screwdirver or prybar You have to lay in the trunk and close it as must as possible when you do it, to take off some tension.
Old 07-12-2002 | 01:07 AM
Instructor

Solution

I recently changed the stock torsion bars to the heavy duty torsion bars since I added a spoiler. I simply used one of the tool bars to remove the lug nuts and put the end of the torsion bar into the whole and pull it out, there are instructions on how to remove the torsion bars in the shop manual if you can get a hold of one. Do a search for it,,I noticed someone posting it up. Also I didn't get the 8.00 hand tool to remove/install the springs,,,,but I wish I had, I struggled with installing the bars for almost an hour before I got them in. The heavy duty torsion bars are pretty cheap too, call the dealer to get them. good luck
Old 07-12-2002 | 09:53 AM
Advanced

2002acuraTL, where did you pry? Was it that the end that hooks onto the trunk lid or the part that hooks onto? From there what did you do? I can move it, but I cant seem to get it off. Thanks
Old 07-13-2002 | 04:37 AM
Pro

"splitz" tell me if that "gas strut" solution works...i think may of use would be interested
Old 07-13-2002 | 11:01 AM
Advanced

Smile Well I've done it

Ok, for all of you whom are wondering how to get rid of those pesky torsion bars, I have done it about 10 minutes ago. Here are the con's and pro's:

Cons:

Your trunk will not open by itself, you will have to lift it a bit so the gas strut (I only installed one) will take over

The gas strut that I used (mainly cuz it was the smallest one I could find) is powerful, it slams the trunk shut and flings it open (after you help it a bit)

Pros:

The strut is not visible when you open your trunk (unless you pop your head in)

It will allow you to change it to a linear accuator (if you can find one small enugh, and if you do let me know)

You can now drill out the support brace for the bars and fit a big F'ing sub on your back deck (which I am hoping will sound better than placing it in the trunk)

Now I know some of you will see that the pros outweigh the cons, so I will be posting instructions as soon as I get a digital camera, so until then.
Old 07-15-2002 | 06:42 AM
Pro

good job splitz!!!! Now we can add a bigger sub and maybe 2 6x9 on the rear deck. keep us posted..i'm very interested!!
Old 08-02-2002 | 01:19 AM
Advanced

Splitz,

I am waiting with baited breath for the pics of your trunk mod. However, I was wondering if you could let us know where you attached the gas strut? Thanks.

David
Old 08-02-2002 | 03:03 PM
Advanced

I know, I know, but I'm lazy

Ok I know all of you are still waiting on me to get that how to posted, but I havent been able to get my hands on a digital camera, so we have to do it the "old fasion" way...wait for me to get my roll developed. The good news with that is I once I get it developed I also will be posting a how to on a sealed box that fires directly through the stock location (.60 cu ft) Anyway till then here's the non question:

Parts:

(1) Mighty Lift from Motormite Mfg. Part # F95011
(2) L brackets of some sort (I used some parts I got from work, so I dont know where you can get them from)
(x) number of sheet metal screws
(2) Bolts to mount the gas strut to the L-Brackets

1. Remove carpeting

2. Remove tensioning bar (the one with that looks like _|--|_ on
the side where you are placing the strut) Good luck, I basically
pried the piece that holds the tensioning bars open, then took
a pair of channel locks and worked them out

3. Attach L brackets to the strut loosely and place one L bracket
on the rear part of the trunk and the other on the arm of the
trunk. This is were it will attach to the arm of the trunk (when
I get around to the actual post, I'll include measurements),
mark the screw holes.

4. Remove the gas strut from the L brackets

5. Attach the L-Brackets to the back of the trunk and the Arm

6. Remove the rubber stops on the trunk deck
--Carefull, this requires patients, dont rip them off, take two
small screwdrivers and push the retaining pins in and pull
the stop out

7. Attach your gas strut to the L brackets

8. Repalce the rubber stop

9. Test your work. open and close your trunk if it works move to
step 10

10. Remove the gas strut from the trunk wall side

11. Install your carpet, puncture a hole where the L bracket is

12. Re-attach the gas strut

Post pics and comments on how I f'd up your ride!

If you want to wait for exact pics and measurements, you may be waiting awhile, this is pretty simple to do, so if you decide to do it, just be patient and use common sense.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2002 | 12:58 AM
Advanced

Splitz,

I am having a hard time visualizing your instructions. Is there any chance you could provide a rough sketch using Paint or something? As my trunk is having problems opening after putting some dampening on the trunk lid, I have to either do the lift mod or buy the heavy duty torsion bars. Thanks.

David
Old 08-14-2002 | 07:17 PM
Advanced

PICS ARE COMMING, I PROMISE

Ok ok, I have sent my roll of film with the pics of the conversion done, and as soon as I pick them up i will scan them in for all of you whom are wondering what the heck i am talking about.
Old 08-14-2002 | 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man you should invest in a digital cam. It ain't that expensive anymore...
Old 08-19-2002 | 09:38 PM
Advanced

Splitz,

I appreciate you taking the time to do the pictures but I went ahead and ordered the heavy-duty torsion bars. I had to do it since my trunk latch broke and my Acura dealer is fixing it under warranty. However, due to the added weight of the dampening on the trunk lid, I can't afford to let it break again. I am still interested in seeing your good work in coming up with an alternative to the torsion bars.

David