(THREAD CLOSED: No longer a vendor 26Aug14) HIDEXTRA.com HID Review.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I took a million pictures. They are here https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1#post11762461

Day

Night

Don't eat this snow.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Pro

my review so far i ordered a pair of 6000k HID headlight bulbs and 2 HID kits for the fogs on my 08 TL.. I installed the HID fogs for only one of them to work... one of the ballast didn't work..So i moved on to try the headlight bulbs for them to only melt. So i called HID extra and they have sent me a reman ballast until the new one arrives... not sure what they are gonna do about the headlight bulbs though
Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well one side didn't fire tonight, but that was after I re-ran my wires. Hopefully it just had to do with that. If it does it again, I will swap sides and try to find where the problem is.

One thing I want to know:
Is it normal for the bulbs not to be sealed in the back of the projector with D2S bulbs?

Kind of hard to see with my camera phone and the angle, but it won't sit flush against it. It actually looks like there are tiny nipples to space the bulb out (you can actually see one in the picture, it's a black dot where the light is shining through), and there is nothing to securely lock it in place. It isn't loose, because of the tabs on the projector, but it isn't tight. I can wiggle it around a lot.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 AM
5th Gear

Just placed my order for 8000k kit.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi,

let me know if you have gotten your new ballast yet. If your bulbs melt, which we have never had this issue before, please send me a picture to info@hidextra.com and I can get a tech to look at it and respond to you thanks!

Michelle

Originally Posted by pearlite TL
my review so far i ordered a pair of 6000k HID headlight bulbs and 2 HID kits for the fogs on my 08 TL.. I installed the HID fogs for only one of them to work... one of the ballast didn't work..So i moved on to try the headlight bulbs for them to only melt. So i called HID extra and they have sent me a reman ballast until the new one arrives... not sure what they are gonna do about the headlight bulbs though
Old 03-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi,

The metal clip that holds your bulb may be slightly bented, please re-adjust the clip so that the bulb should be lock in tight. thanks!

Michelle

Originally Posted by shnee
Well one side didn't fire tonight, but that was after I re-ran my wires. Hopefully it just had to do with that. If it does it again, I will swap sides and try to find where the problem is.

One thing I want to know:
Is it normal for the bulbs not to be sealed in the back of the projector with D2S bulbs?

Kind of hard to see with my camera phone and the angle, but it won't sit flush against it. It actually looks like there are tiny nipples to space the bulb out (you can actually see one in the picture, it's a black dot where the light is shining through), and there is nothing to securely lock it in place. It isn't loose, because of the tabs on the projector, but it isn't tight. I can wiggle it around a lot.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well I checked this out more today. It is not bent metal clips. I can press the bulb against it all I want, but it's not going to go in further. Like I mentioned, there are little plastic nipples around the seat of the bulb. These are preventing the bulb from sitting flush against the back of the projector. It seems like this is purposeful, in which case I assume it will not hurt the bulb.
If the bulb is supposed to sit against the back projector with zero gap, then I will have to file down the plastic nipples. Should I do this? Or is there supposed to be a gap between the bulb seat and projector?

Also, since this is the review thread, I will say that the color of the 5000k bulbs are perfect. I couldn't be happier with that. Also, the output is fantastic, even better than the OEM components I was using before. Buying the kit was a great move overall.
However, I have had one side not fire up, although that was after I re-ran my wires. But everything was connected properly, so I'm not sure what happened.
Today, I noticed one side had gone out while driving. When I got home, I found this was because the bulb connector came off of the back of the bulb. It says "Lock" and has an arrow, and I understand how it works, but it doesn't truly lock into place. It wiggled its way back out and stopped making contact with the bulb. I guess I will have to tape that down or something.
Overall I'm very happy with the product. I was so happy with my 3000k fog kit that I bought my current 5000k D2S kit!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
5th Gear

I just installed the 8000 last night. It was raining so I really couldn't tell how much difference there was from stock. Does anyone know if the headlight beam needs to be adjusted after installing ? If the rain holds off maybe I'll be able to tell if they're brighter but last night it did not appear that way.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

HI,

In most cases there shouldn't be a gap and you can however file down one of the tabs to get it in all the way. If the seating now however is not affecting the bulb's performance, meaning (cutoff and beam) then you can leave it as is. Thanks for your feedback and let me know if you have other questions. Thanks!

Michelle

Originally Posted by shnee
Well I checked this out more today. It is not bent metal clips. I can press the bulb against it all I want, but it's not going to go in further. Like I mentioned, there are little plastic nipples around the seat of the bulb. These are preventing the bulb from sitting flush against the back of the projector. It seems like this is purposeful, in which case I assume it will not hurt the bulb.
If the bulb is supposed to sit against the back projector with zero gap, then I will have to file down the plastic nipples. Should I do this? Or is there supposed to be a gap between the bulb seat and projector?

Also, since this is the review thread, I will say that the color of the 5000k bulbs are perfect. I couldn't be happier with that. Also, the output is fantastic, even better than the OEM components I was using before. Buying the kit was a great move overall.
However, I have had one side not fire up, although that was after I re-ran my wires. But everything was connected properly, so I'm not sure what happened.
Today, I noticed one side had gone out while driving. When I got home, I found this was because the bulb connector came off of the back of the bulb. It says "Lock" and has an arrow, and I understand how it works, but it doesn't truly lock into place. It wiggled its way back out and stopped making contact with the bulb. I guess I will have to tape that down or something.
Overall I'm very happy with the product. I was so happy with my 3000k fog kit that I bought my current 5000k D2S kit!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor

HI,

8000K is not brighter than stock,
Stock Kelving is 4300K and the closest brightest to that would have been our 5000K.

The higher the Kelvin (K) the bluer it is but dimmer it is see below for our Kelvin/lumen ratings

3000K (Lumen output - 4000 lm) - Golden yellow
5000K (Lumen output - 3250 lm) - White with yellowish tint
6000K (Lumen output - 3000 lm) - Diamond white
8000K (Lumen output - 2800 lm) - White with blue tint
10000K (Lumen output - 2600 lm) - Blue

Thanks!

michelle

Originally Posted by oneill3325
I just installed the 8000 last night. It was raining so I really couldn't tell how much difference there was from stock. Does anyone know if the headlight beam needs to be adjusted after installing ? If the rain holds off maybe I'll be able to tell if they're brighter but last night it did not appear that way.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:49 PM
5th Gear

Ok..a rain free night and they look fantastic. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It was quite easy to do and I didn't splice the wires, just re-pinned the connector..fantastic.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have purchased 4 kits. Always fast shipping and all seem to work good. However after having installed them on a 99 toyota camry 3 weeks ago, the drivers side headlight has stopped working after 2 weeks!! Just wont come on at all. Kind of worries me having them for a few different cars that rely on them for daily driving use. Not to mention i recommended these to friends/family so if they start going bad it makes my reliabilty suffer..

NOTE: the 99 camry is driven mostly during early morning hrs when still dark and at night... so it has more use than ANY of the other vehicles... and if it only lasted 2 weeks... it kind of worries me for the other vehicles

So far have purchased for the following vehicles:
1- 02 mdx.... upgraded to 04-06 projector headlights - both work
2- 98 grand prix gt - both work
3- 99 camry - driv side out, pass still working
4- 95 camry - still awaiting install
5- 99 sunfire gt - pending order.... after i see how CS is with my current light not working

So far i have emailed michelle twice with no response in regards to this matter. Usually she responds fast but ive also noticed she hasnt logged in since fri so maybe sick, out of town, vacation etc. I really need this replaced asap. Dont want my mother in-law to get pulled over and get a ticket!

Last edited by Mjakaz09TL; 03-31-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

HI,

Replied through email that you might have just received a defective ballast which we can replace right away, let me know thanks!

MIchelle

Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL
I have purchased 4 kits. Always fast shipping and all seem to work good. However after having installed them on a 99 toyota camry 3 weeks ago, the drivers side headlight has stopped working after 2 weeks!! Just wont come on at all. Kind of worries me having them for a few different cars that rely on them for daily driving use. Not to mention i recommended these to friends/family so if they start going bad it makes my reliabilty suffer..

NOTE: the 99 camry is driven mostly during early morning hrs when still dark and at night... so it has more use than ANY of the other vehicles... and if it only lasted 2 weeks... it kind of worries me for the other vehicles

So far have purchased for the following vehicles:
1- 02 mdx.... upgraded to 04-06 projector headlights - both work
2- 98 grand prix gt - both work
3- 99 camry - driv side out, pass still working
4- 95 camry - still awaiting install
5- 99 sunfire gt - pending order.... after i see how CS is with my current light not working

So far i have emailed michelle twice with no response in regards to this matter. Usually she responds fast but ive also noticed she hasnt logged in since fri so maybe sick, out of town, vacation etc. I really need this replaced asap. Dont want my mother in-law to get pulled over and get a ticket!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

All orders placed before 3pm PST today will be shipped today. You should be receiving a tracking # soon if not already.

Also, for those who ordered from us (www.hidextra.com) , please kindly reply to this thread or something so it won't look so lonely and looks like I'm talking to myself? :icon_teeth: Because there are many orders each day but no feedback! :p Thanks!

Original Thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/new-spring-special-hidextra-com-%2458-hid-kits-expires-05-15-2010-a-765755/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...723872&page=24

Michelle
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HIDEXTRA.com is the BESSSST!!!

My stock HID's turned pink after 70K miles and I got the 6000K Diamont White from HIDextra.com

-Arrived within 5 days and everything's great! If you think you're going to lose less visible light by switching to 6000K bulbs from 4300K bulbs, you can rest assured that the 6000K bulbs are clean and bright. If your stock ones are getting dim, replace them ASAP before you have to.

Very satisfied - will definitely get an entire kit for my stock fogs.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback and support!

michelle
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM
10th Gear

do i buy the d2r or d2s for a 2003 acura tl type s
Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HarisTL-S
D2R - but you should really do a search first --> http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/
Old 04-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi,

Your bulb type is D2R, see below on how to order with our current special

2.) Then go to www.hidextra.com and choose the (BULB TYPE AND COLOR)

3.) Use Express checkout

4.) Input coupon code: springsp-m to get $17 off the kit price
Input coupon code: tenpercentoff-m to get 10% off bulbs only, ballast or accessories

5.) IF you are purchasing more than one kit, please do SEPARATE transactions for EACH kit in order to get discount on all kits.

Any questions, please email me @ info@hidextra.com

MIchelle
Hidextra.com
info@hidextra.com
860-821-8212

Originally Posted by HarisTL-S
Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by HIDXTRA
A Kind Reminder: When PMing me or asking me to confirm bulb type for your car or need a link to a kit, please include the following in your request so I can get you all the information and the link to the item right away. Thank you!

1.) YR MAKE MODEL
2.) What color would you like? (picture at 1st page of this thread)
5000K - White with light yellow tint (Closest to OEM)
6000K - Pure White
8000K - White with light blue tint
3.) Are you looking for bulbs only? or the Conversion Kit?
4.) Other questions?

Thanks!
Michelle

Michelle, I am looking to buy some lights.

I have a 1998 3.0Cl . I want a whitish blue. And that would be a conversion kit.

Couple questions. Is any color street legal? Does the kit provide whats needed to do an install? And My fog lights( I think thats the light) is yellow will that affect anything, b/c some ppl with my same car has the bottom light clear instead of yellow.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi,

Your bulb type is

1998 ACURA CL
Low beam headlamp
High beam headlamp

I don't see a fog light option for this car so it could be the small PIAA bulbs, but we don't sell those smal PIA bulbs, only HIDs

All aftermarket HIDs are not DOT approved but as along as you keep within 8000K range you'll be fine.

6000K is pure white
8000K is White with light blue tint.

See below on how to order, installation instructions will come with the kit and it's all male/female plug , plug and play.

2.) Then go to www.hidextra.com and choose the (BULB TYPE AND COLOR)

3.) Use Express checkout

4.) Input coupon code: springsp-m to get $17 off the kit price
Input coupon code: tenpercentoff-m to get 10% off bulbs only, ballast or accessories

5.) IF you are purchasing more than one kit, please do SEPARATE transactions for EACH kit in order to get discount on all kits.

Any questions, please email me @ info@hidextra.com

MIchelle
Hidextra.com
info@hidextra.com
860-821-8212

Originally Posted by riefel182
Michelle, I am looking to buy some lights.

I have a 1998 3.0Cl . I want a whitish blue. And that would be a conversion kit.

Couple questions. Is any color street legal? Does the kit provide whats needed to do an install? And My fog lights( I think thats the light) is yellow will that affect anything, b/c some ppl with my same car has the bottom light clear instead of yellow.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

FREE HID KIT DRAWING!! JOIN HIDeXtra on Facebook as a FRIEND or FAN or follow us on TWITTER! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY! HIDeXtra.com is hosting a FREE KIT drawing on June 1st, 2010 and lucky winner will be Announced June 2nd, 2010. If you DO order (All orders in May), each order will count as an extra entry. For every 1000 Fans or Friends, ONE HID KIT will be givin! So get EVERYONE you know to join! The more Fans and Friends, the MORE free KITS! Every current friends and fans will already be entered. Thank you all for your support and business!!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Former Sponsor

BUMP For Spring HID Special Exp 05/15/2010

Michelle
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi guys,

I will provide my review on a set I've had installed for about a year now, approx.

These were installed on my 2008 Mazda Tribute, the kit was an HID / halogen high-beam combo kit, btw.

Upon delivery, one of the halogen bulbs was contacting the HID bulb. I tried to provide them a tiny bit of space with a piece of plastic (an old plastic gift-card actually) by pushing the plastic between the two, so I could possibly bend the halogen bulb back a bit. Well immediately the halogen bulb shattered, so that was a bust. I emailed HIDExtra about it and they said it was on me, so I decided to keep them and just run without high beams. To that end, they are extremely bright so indeed I have never needed anything more than the low beam HID's, but I cannot flash someone because only one bulb works.

Their actual performance, when they are functioning, is great. The problem is that a few times now, they have refused to light up. And the last straw came last night, when my pregnant wife was driving back home to me, she said that she was unable to get them to turn on at all, so she drove home with one high beam lit. Before this "last straw", issues with one bulb not lighting, and occasionally (rarely) getting one to flicker, has been the norm. I figured for the price I paid, it was just what I had to deal with to get HID.

Overall, if they lit up every time or almost every time, I would not have a problem with them. The color is great, the light output is great. The fit and finish of the boxes and wiring is fine, but the fit and finish of one of my bulbs wasn't acceptable.

In the end, I am after a more reliable "fire every time" kit if there is one. I mean, look at my stock Acura TL's headlights...they are HID but they have worked perfectly ever since I owned the car, from day one. That's the kind of reliability lighting needs, since it is a safety issue. Could you imagine your brakes, steering, or tires failing to function intermittently?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Everyone! Just want to notify you all that it's been great working with you!! Starting next monday I have been moved to the wholesale department of the company and will no longer be with HIDeXtra!! My colleague here "Karen" will be taking over and she is as good in customer service as me! Thanks for your continuous support and business!!

Michelle
Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

bump for july 4th special!!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

can i purchase bulbs for my headlights and use the OEM ballasts or do I need to get a whole new kit???
Old 07-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joseph.bruegge
can i purchase bulbs for my headlights and use the OEM ballasts or do I need to get a whole new kit???

You can just purchase the bulbs only. But I strongly suggest you purchase the whole kit to get full 2 year warranty.

Thanks~
Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

bump for july 4th special!! Only few days left!!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

All orders placed before 3pm PST today will be shipped today. You should be receiving a tracking # soon if not already.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

July 4th Special is officially over but you can still use coupon code: acurasp-w to receive $15 off~
Old 07-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

check out new FREE iPhone 4 promotion!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/hidextra-special-promotion-free-brand-new-iphone-4-a-784079/
Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not to bad mouth this vendor... but need to let people know... Just so everyone is aware.. ive gone through three sets of these this year so far.....all i gotta say
Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MAC TL
not to bad mouth this vendor... but need to let people know... Just so everyone is aware.. ive gone through three sets of these this year so far.....all i gotta say

EXACT same issue.. 3 sets, they lasted a couple weeks ea and failed. Told me it was due to the cars electronics?! Their customer service is AWESOME, they will replace np. They finally gave me a refund. Its just a major hassle to tear car apart to remove, then put back together and wait a few days, tear car apart again to replace and then put together again. You also risk getting a ticket for having a headlight out... not that its likely it is possible.

However, i still have 2 kits from them that are working fine knock on wood.. 1 kit does make a very loud screeching sound.. hard to describe.. almost like a big bird being electrocuted haha!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Original Thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...723872&page=26
Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Former Sponsor

checkout our new youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMr3...=youtube_gdata

You can see ours compare to others. On the left, the light is flickering the whole time. poorly made HID kits will flicker. it's not the installation but simply a bad kit.
google "flickering hid" or http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...x=1&fp=1&cad=b
Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL

EXACT same issue.. 3 sets, they lasted a couple weeks ea and failed. Told me it was due to the cars electronics?! Their customer service is AWESOME, they will replace np. They finally gave me a refund. Its just a major hassle to tear car apart to remove, then put back together and wait a few days, tear car apart again to replace and then put together again. You also risk getting a ticket for having a headlight out... not that its likely it is possible.

However, i still have 2 kits from them that are working fine knock on wood.. 1 kit does make a very loud screeching sound.. hard to describe.. almost like a big bird being electrocuted haha!

VENDOR ?

Any comments about the reliability of the product ?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Pro

checkout our new youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMr3...=youtube_gdata

You can see ours compare to others. On the left, the light is flickering the whole time. poorly made HID kits will flicker. it's not the installation but simply a bad kit.
google "flickering hid" or http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...x=1&fp=1&cad=b

So the ones I had (this brand) in my Tribute looked exactly like the "bad" kit except for when they didn't even work at all. Like I said before but nobody seemed to care in the company, these failed to light up with my then-pregnant wife on the road. She had to creep down side streets for 2 hours back home in the dark because these things failed her. What good is a warranty if the product, a safety item, fails you while driving?!!

And that's the truth, an actual review in the review section, not advertising.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
So the ones I had (this brand) in my Tribute looked exactly like the "bad" kit except for when they didn't even work at all. Like I said before but nobody seemed to care in the company, these failed to light up with my then-pregnant wife on the road. She had to creep down side streets for 2 hours back home in the dark because these things failed her. What good is a warranty if the product, a safety item, fails you while driving?!!

And that's the truth, an actual review in the review section, not advertising.
We do offer warranty on our items. Please email me exact detail of the problem you are experiencing to info@hidextra.com so I can assist you. Did the light turn on at all or flicker and turn off? Did it happen to one side or both sides? and what is the car's year, make and model? Does the car have DRL? Please provide all information as detail as possible.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Pro

We do offer warranty on our items. Please email me exact detail of the problem you are experiencing to info@hidextra.com so I can assist you. Did the light turn on at all or flicker and turn off? Did it happen to one side or both sides? and what is the car's year, make and model? Does the car have DRL? Please provide all information as detail as possible.

I appreciate the response here as it was more than I was getting on my last attempt, when it actually happened.

Since then they were tossed in the trash, as safety items are not a joke to me and my wife was in tears when she finally made it home. Some things are just not worth the trouble to modify, IMO.

It was a 2008 Mazda Tribute, the kit was a the highbeam halogen and lowbeam hid, no DRL's, and ever since installation they would occasionally fail to fire up or one side would and the other wouldn't. It was intermittent at best, but since I was the usual driver I just re-fired them without hesitation and usually got it to work. The problem happened when my wife, who had no idea that you could try to re-fire them with the switch, had to drive home. When she got home, I tested the system and found that it would fire about 1 for every 10 attempts, on the left side, and one in 3 attempts on the right side.

Aside from this, the HID boxes introduced an extremely high-pitched noise into my sound system, one that I realized was finally gone when I swapped back to standard bulbs.

I'm not hacking on the company, but it stands to reason that safety items should really be thoroughly looked at, possibly with fail-safe auto-refire features or something onboard that assures that lights come on when commanded. I'm sure all kits say "off-road use only" so this whole issue can be circumnavigated though. At least legally.

Quick Reply: (THREAD CLOSED: No longer a vendor 26Aug14) HIDEXTRA.com HID Review.