Second Skin Reviews: Liquid Spectrum and Damplifier mat (deadening, like Dynamat)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Skin Reviews: Liquid Spectrum and Damplifier mat (deadening, like Dynamat)

Well, I decided to tackle my rear 1/4 panels and rear wheel wells from the back seat this time. I pulled out my rear seats and rear side plastic panels.

I decided to use Second Skin's liquid Spectrum on the metal panels.
The Spectrum comes in a one gallon container that you need to pour into a container. It can be watered down to spray on or simply painted on right out of the container (I decided to go this route).
The smell is not bad at all, rather pleasant and is a dark grey in color.
Once applied, takes around 30-60mins to dry somewhat to add another layer. I used 8 layers total in the area. Cure time is 24 hours. It dries very elastically.

So far, I like this better than the Edead V3. Why? I've had drips of the liquid of both on areas where I didn't want it to go. But, after drying, since the Spectrum stays elastic, it peeled right off, whereas the V3, I had to scratch away. Also, the V3 is more of a mass loader than anything, whereas the Spectrum works as a mass loader and an absorber.

The smell after application does not linger like the V3 does. And for those that don't like the blue color of V3, the Spectrum dries a dark grey. Also, since it's water-based, soap and water dissolve the Spectrum that gets on your hands.

Conclusion: After driving to work today for 20mins, I noticed the rear is much quieter. Now i hear most of the noise from the front wheel wells and doors, which i am tacking next.
I feel that the 8 layers of Spectrum and the ensolite closed-cell foam I put over it really helped alot by reducing and absorbing the noise from the rear areas.

I also tried some Damplifier (60mil) on the rear side plastic panels.
So far to this date, I have used Rammat 45mil and Brown Bread 60mil mat.
I must say, I was very impressed with the SS Damplifier.
The Brown Bread stuck great, but was very messy, and the tar extended from the foil when you rolled it.
The Rammat didn't stick very good and b/c it came in a roll, left ridges in the mat, left me with many bubbles after I applied it that needed to get heated and poked alot, but left no mess.

The Damplifier's butyl was as sticky as the Brown Bread's, but left no mess on my hands or panels when I rolled it. Also when looking at the butyl, it was more of a consistant material than that of both Brown Bread and Rammat.

Another plus to the Damplifier is the thick foil, which helps deflect noise/heat/cold, thicker than that of both Brown Bread and Rammat foil.

The Damplifier went on very easy and adhered fine to the plastic panel. Immediately after knocking on the panel, it sounded more deadened than before.

Conclusion: After using 3 types of mats, I go with the Second Skin Damplifier hands down. It has all of the pro's of the two I've tried already (not messy, adheres great, thick foil, consistant butyl) and I'd have no problem recommending this product to anyone.

Below are some pictures that I've taken, both before the Spectrum and after, as well as some Damplifier on back of the plastic panels.

Before Spectrum

After 2 coats

After 8 coats

Damplifier on plastic panel
Old 07-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
how does it sound inside the car now...i hate the road noise on the oem rims and tires on 2-lane roads...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

sounds much quieter in the rear..... i defin recommend using the spectrum then a layer of closed cell foam (ensolite) on top of it
less exhasut noise too (altho i do have my entire trunk deadened)
Old 07-16-2004, 06:34 PM

Sweet...thx for the info...a must if I keep this car!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

np
Old 07-16-2004, 07:11 PM

rep points comming yur way...
Old 07-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

i aint even a rep, just tryin to help Ant out, he's a cool guy and helped me alot with advice
Old 07-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Drifting

great review just what i needed.

could you give us some links to buy this stuff? thanks.

btw, you've got rep points.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

nice i did the whole rear of my 03 cl with brown bread , about 130 sq. ft and i deffinatly notice the difference, i will have to put some pics up of what i did. after using the others that you said , do you notice that this works better at deadening the car ( panels ) that you did??

to get rid of some more noise in the rear do another layer in the trunk , i have 2-3 layers in most spots and you can tell the difference between the first layer i put down

also i need a link for this stuff i have got to do my plastic panels and this sounds like exactly what im looking for
Old 07-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Intermediate

www.secondskinaudio.com
yes, the spectrum worked great and i still have half a gallon left after doing my rear 1/4 panels
on the plastic panels i recommend the Damplifier and the Rattle Pad
ask Ant about these products service@secondskinaudio.com
tell him Lou sent ya!