Replacing the stock head unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 PM
aMc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing the stock head unit

Is it even possible without by passing the amp or getting a new system all together? I took my car to Best Buy recently to have a new stereo (Dual XD7500) installed. Unfortunately I was told that in order for the new unit to work with my Bose speakers they would have to bypass the amp and plug the speakers directly into the stereo. So without the amp my speakers wouldn't be nearly as loud. I have a 97 3.0 CL. I've been looking around the forums and have read about people replacing their head units. However they didn't say anything about bypassing the amp or having to get new speakers/amp. Are certain brands compatible with the bose speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Loose Cannon

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i think the stock head unit needs the bose amp in order to drive your speakers, but i am not sure i am just taking a guess, most aftermarket head units have powerfull enough outputs 50w x 4 to drive your stock speakers.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
2013 sh-awd adv

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
there is also a bose eq that is connect to the bose head unit then to the speakers. when you replace the factor HU with an after market, you usually have to install a new amp and all new speakers. There are some complicated ways to get around this, but i found it easier just to replace it all. someone also told me the bose speakers sound like crap if you just connect a new amp to them. good luck
Old 08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
My other car is a DSM

sometimes you can get away with using the RCA outputs of your new deck to run signal to the factory amp. however, sometimes the low level output of the new deck is higher or lower than the factory deck, causing the sound to be higher or lower than it should.

if you bypass the amp and run the deck directly to the speakers, you will have better results most of the time. (again...) however, the bose speakers in your car are more than likely 2 ohm, meaning you will be drawing more power from your deck than is recommended.

bottom line, whenever you have a factory radio that is considered a premium audio system such as bose, shaker, monsoon.... youre looking at a complicated radio install. best results will be found when replacing everything, if anything at all. id recommend either keeping it all stock, or replacing it all. this is comming from someone who installs audio systems every day.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Don't go to Best Buy

2. Why bother replacing it with a Dual HU?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Loose Cannon

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboMike
sometimes you can get away with using the RCA outputs of your new deck to run signal to the factory amp. however, sometimes the low level output of the new deck is higher or lower than the factory deck, causing the sound to be higher or lower than it should.

This is really easy, i wish most things would be as simple as this. Since the Bose System in the vehicle is most likely runs at 2 Ohms, and i dont want to replace my entire system just yet, i am only going to replace the head unit to get the navi and all the goodies, you can simply run the output from the new HU to the bose amp, to solve the issue of any output / input voltage compatabilities, you can simply use a line level adapter.. Take a look at this one for instance.

http://logjamelectronics.com/soundoem4a.html

there are probably more out there to match the specific bose system in your vehicle.

Does anyone have the Bose system spec's on the require line in to the stock bose amp on the 2003 acura CL S? I need to know what the bose amp wants from the head unit to be able to pick the right adapter when i swap out.

thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 AM
aMc
5th Gear

Thanks so much for the help! The only reason we were going to replace it with the Dual is because we originally bought it for my old car, but that died before we got the chance to install it. On top of that my Bose head unit refuses to take the code we've been given for it. I think we're going to take it out again and double check the serial code. Apparently Best Buy got that wrong or for some reason my stereo has a different code than it's supposed to. Is it possible for the code to be changed? Thanks again for all of the help!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:08 PM
My other car is a DSM

Originally Posted by lcstyle
This is really easy, i wish most things would be as simple as this. Since the Bose System in the vehicle is most likely runs at 2 Ohms, and i dont want to replace my entire system just yet, i am only going to replace the head unit to get the navi and all the goodies, you can simply run the output from the new HU to the bose amp, to solve the issue of any output / input voltage compatabilities, you can simply use a line level adapter.. Take a look at this one for instance.

http://logjamelectronics.com/soundoem4a.html
You are absolutely right.... I do this all the time, however thats with an aftemarket amp. What I meant is that in most cases, you want about a 4v line level signal going to your amp which is usually what a line out converter provides. however, im not sure what the factory bose amp would want.

@aMc, i will see what I can find as far as specs on the factory Bose system. I have one as well, and this info could be useful to us and many others.

EDIT: i will also ask this.... why o why would you buy a Dual? for shits sake if you have the reciept return it and get something else!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
aMc
5th Gear

thanks...

and as for the Dual, it was given to me.