radar/laser jamming!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001 | 03:56 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

radar/laser jamming!?

What do you think...rip-off??

http://www.comtrad.com/cfusion/templ...ct_base_id=300

How to make your car invisible to radar and laser
Rocky Mountain Radar introduces a device guaranteed to make your car electronically "invisible" to speed traps beyond 200 feet--if you get a ticket while using the product, the manufacturer will pay your fine!

The radar component works by mixing an X, K or Ka radar signal with an FM "chirp" and bouncing it back at the squad car by way of a waveguide antenna, effectively confusing the computer inside the radar gun. The laser component transmits an infrared beam that has the same effect on laser Lidar units.
Today, Rocky Mountain Radar offers solutions to avoid those revenue-generating speed traps-the Phantom II. Utilizing a passive radar scrambler the Phantom II uses light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to fire invisible infrared pulses to confuse the laser gun by giving false indications of your car's distance, blocking measurement of your speed. If you prefer to be notified when you are in range of police radar, the Phantom II is for you.

The Phantom II has a host of new and improved features, including a larger jammer antenna for double the jamming power. Faster, more powerful laser diodes were added for improved laser scrambling, along with improved VG-2 detection and avoidance. The Phantom II also has a sleeker, more modern semi-transparent housing design, which reduces heat and enhances appearance. It also has enhanced detection of photo radar, which gives it almost twice the range. The snap-in windshield mount means you'll have no more lost or awkward thumbscrews. The new muting circuit helps keep the Phantom II quiet until you want to hear it, and a ducted sound port has been added for increased speaker volume.

The Phantom II is not intended to condone excessive speeding. For that reason, within the first year, the manufacturer will pay tickets where the speed limit was not exceeded by more than 30%, or 15 miles per hour, whichever is less. California is excluded from the Ticket Rebate program.

Legal in every state except California, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Virginia, Nebraska, and Washington, D.C.

Phantom . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $349.00
Old 08-09-2001 | 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Thats the same one I want!
Old 08-09-2001 | 04:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

damn i thought tha same way about rocky... you wrote like an essay, and im still not convinced... dont think i read all that crizap...Shyne
Old 08-09-2001 | 04:32 PM
Banned

The one thing to keep in mind is that I think the cop will know he's been jammed. One of the car mags, either MT or C&D did an extensive test a few years back on both jammers and radar detectors. I think the final message out of it was that a jammer, along with a good radar detector was the best way of avoiding a ticket (besides not speeding of course). I have heard arguements on the legality of radar detectors, because it is basically a receiver (albeit to avoid getting caught speeding), and is passive. Just like a police scanner is a receiver and it can be used to avoid apprehension also.

When it comes to jammers, you are sending a signal back to the radar gun. You switch from passive avoidance to aggressive avoidance. I believe the article mentioned that today's radar guns will emit an audible signal to the cop to let him know you have a detector (VG-2), and also if it was jammed. Not to mention the cop seeing you flying along, but the radar flashes him 20mph, or nothing.

The newer and higher-end radar detectors claim to not emit the signal that allows the cop to know you have a detector. Not sure about the jammers.

My wife's old boss drove around in a Porsche 911 and he had both a jammer and a V1 and swore by them.

Bottom line is check your local laws.
Old 08-09-2001 | 08:22 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by goaub
The newer and higher-end radar detectors claim to not emit the signal that allows the cop to know you have a detector. Not sure about the jammers.
If detectors are legal in your state (all states currently allow detectors except for DC, VA, and NC), it doesn't matter if the cop can detect your radar detector.

Jammers are a different thing altogether. Most states have laws against interfering with law enforcement activities, and jamming radar guns can easily be construed as such.
Old 08-09-2001 | 08:24 PM
Banned

Active radar jammers are illegal in all 50 states. That's a federal law--the FCC isn't too happy about people transmitting on radio frequencies without being licensed. Passive jammers, while looking impressive on paper, don't do Jack Schitt. Car & Driver did a test on a few many months back and concluded they make great paperweights.
Old 08-09-2001 | 11:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by daverman

If detectors are legal in your state (all states currently allow detectors except for DC, VA, and NC), it doesn't matter if the cop can detect your radar detector.
Radar detectors are still legal in NC. There was a proposal placed in January 2001 to ban detectors here, but it has not passed yet and word is that it likely will not
Old 08-10-2001 | 12:38 AM
Banned

Agree. I wasn't implying that from a legal standpoint you would have a problem. He/She just might want to give you $hit if they new you had one that's all.

Car & Driver did a test on a few many months back and concluded they make great paperweights.
Missed that one. Do you know which edition it was? I subscribe to C&D, but I don't remember seeing that article, although I am behind a few months. Been spending too much time on this board.
Old 08-11-2001 | 01:13 PM
Race Director

Re: radar/laser jamming!?

Originally posted by my2sense
What do you think...rip-off??

http://www.comtrad.com/cfusion/templ...ct_base_id=300

How to make your car invisible to radar and laser
Rocky Mountain Radar introduces a device guaranteed to make your car electronically "invisible" to speed traps beyond 200 feet--if you get a ticket while using the product, the manufacturer will pay your fine!

The radar component works by mixing an X, K or Ka radar signal with an FM "chirp" and bouncing it back at the squad car by way of a waveguide antenna, effectively confusing the computer inside the radar gun. The laser component transmits an infrared beam that has the same effect on laser Lidar units.
Today, Rocky Mountain Radar offers solutions to avoid those revenue-generating speed traps-the Phantom II. Utilizing a passive radar scrambler the Phantom II uses light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to fire invisible infrared pulses to confuse the laser gun by giving false indications of your car's distance, blocking measurement of your speed. If you prefer to be notified when you are in range of police radar, the Phantom II is for you.

The Phantom II has a host of new and improved features, including a larger jammer antenna for double the jamming power. Faster, more powerful laser diodes were added for improved laser scrambling, along with improved VG-2 detection and avoidance. The Phantom II also has a sleeker, more modern semi-transparent housing design, which reduces heat and enhances appearance. It also has enhanced detection of photo radar, which gives it almost twice the range. The snap-in windshield mount means you'll have no more lost or awkward thumbscrews. The new muting circuit helps keep the Phantom II quiet until you want to hear it, and a ducted sound port has been added for increased speaker volume.

The Phantom II is not intended to condone excessive speeding. For that reason, within the first year, the manufacturer will pay tickets where the speed limit was not exceeded by more than 30%, or 15 miles per hour, whichever is less. California is excluded from the Ticket Rebate program.

Legal in every state except California, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Virginia, Nebraska, and Washington, D.C.

Phantom . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $349.00
Old 08-14-2001 | 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb

It's illegal in most states (if not all) to jam police radar. BTW, this has been discussed a while back.