Question on installing a new iPod Solution in a 2005 TSX...Lots of Pics! Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on installing a new iPod Solution in a 2005 TSX...Lots of Pics! Please Help

Hello all... i decided a while ago to take the plunge and and get an iPod Solution for my 2005 Acura TSX. Just recently http://peripheralelectronics.com/ released an iPod solution for my car that also allows you to listen to HD radio using the cars built in AM/FM Radio antenna. I got so excited i called my local retailer and bought one today.

This kit is composed of 3 items
PXAMG - is the Brain... its the little module that everything plugs into
PGHHD1 - is the harness
HDRT - is the HD Radio Tuner

STEP 1

I was able to connect the PGHHD1 Harness and the PXAMG module to the car and iPod very easily. The device definitely works as advertised...

STEP 2

Connect the HDRT to the cars AM/FM radio Antenna

Question #1

My MAIN problem is i can't seem to find where my AM/FM radio Antenna is located.

I posted pictures of my install progress here
http://picasaweb.google.com/cytomax/...GatewayInstall

I you look at the last 3 pictures i THINK i found the AM/FM Radio Antenna but im not sure....
The pictures were taken from the Drivers side and is looking toward the passenger side area... I think the AM/FM radio Antenna is the black cylinder with the white ring around it on the right side of the brown plug but i dont know...

Question #2

My other question is where in the world would i hide my HD tuner... OMG the thing is massive in comparison to the PXAMG module

Dimension are in Length X Width X Thickness

PXAMG is 3 3/8" X 3" X 1 1/4"

HDRT is 3 1/8" X 5 1/2" X 1 1/2"

The antenna cable for the HDRT is about 13"

Suggestions/Comments are welcome...

P.S.
BTW i searched a lot for this and found a few really good mods all doing about the same thing so ill just post the links here just for reference... also if you notice i saved the best for last.. IMO

Acura 2006 TSX non-Nav
http://picasaweb.google.com/josh.wol...05695418121922

Acura 2005 TSX non-Nav
http://www.tangledupsidedown.com/ipod.html

Acura 2005 TSX non-Nav
http://.com/forums/showthread.php?p=150157

Acura Unknown TSX non-Nav
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=392

Acura 2004 TSX
http://picasaweb.google.com/hiptech/...terfaceInstall

Acura 2005 TSX with Nav
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/my-ipod-installation-2005-tsx-w-navi-325624/

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

Last edited by Cytomax; 04-06-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced

If for some reason my initial 2 question can not be answered...

Would the official 2004-2007 TSX manual answer my question?
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx.html

If so ill buy it tonight so it ships monday...

Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Old 04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Cytomax
My MAIN problem is i can't seem to find where my AM/FM radio Antenna is located.

I you look at the last 3 pictures i THINK i found the AM/FM Radio Antenna but im not sure....
I think the AM/FM radio Antenna is the black cylinder with the white ring around it on the right side of the brown plug but i dont know...
You're correct. That black receptacle with the silver plug is your AM/FM antenna. You should have plenty of room behind your glovebox for all that shizz. Unclip the strut and press your side release tabs to fold your glovebox forward. You'll have unrestricted access to the area behind it. This is where I place all iPod and other modules when installing in pretty much every Honda/Acura.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Well thank you again Uncald4.... you have yet again gotten me unstuck by just typing out a few words...
I updated my pics and am thinking of putting the HD Tuner somewhere else (look at the last 3 pics) because the first location i tried it wont let the glovebox close...

TIA
Eddie
Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Advanced

I am updating my pics as we speak...

I think i found a GREAT place for the HD Radio Tuner AND it doesnt even require mounting it!
I am just going to get some old newspaper and crumble it up and pad around it so it wont move around as im driving...

BUT

The only problem is that i need an extension cable for the AM/FM Radio Antenna.....
I have no idea where to buy an AM/FM Radio Antenna extension cable so I was hoping somebody here can i help me out...
All i really need is like a one foot long extension cord and ill be good to go.

I was browsing the web and found

http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=aa&subcat=aan
Part # AEL12
I THINK this is what i need

I also found

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra...oductDetail.do
I am hoping this is what i need and I am HOPING that they have this in stock at my local Circuit City....

Any comments are appreciated

Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I am updating my pics as we speak...

I think i found a GREAT place for the HD Radio Tuner AND it doesnt even require mounting it!
I am just going to get some old newspaper and crumble it up and pad around it so it wont move around as im driving...

BUT

The only problem is that i need an extension cable for the AM/FM Radio Antenna.....
I have no idea where to buy an AM/FM Radio Antenna extension cable so I was hoping somebody here can i help me out...
All i really need is like a one foot long extension cord and ill be good to go.

I was browsing the web and found

http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=aa&subcat=aan
Part # AEL12
I THINK this is what i need

I also found

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra...oductDetail.do
I am hoping this is what i need and I am HOPING that they have this in stock at my local Circuit City....

Any comments are appreciated

Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Word. Most car audio shops should carry many different lengths of antenna extensions.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Sweet... i have some of those car audio shops right down the street...

Again uncald4 comes to the rescue and gives me peace so i can sleep tonight...

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first mod...

Thanks again...
Eddie
Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Advanced

Well i actually finished... im so impressed with myself.. usually when i start a project its a month long event....
I started this Saturday and ended early Today...
Absolutely nothing was permanently modified and everything looks clean...
Ill update my pics tonight...
The last thing i need to do now is get a mount...
i was thinking along the lines of kudousa.com
Eddie
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Well I finally finished my first car mod... for now that is...

I'm thinking of routing the ipod cable up the center console and through the armrest like this guy did
http://picasaweb.google.com/hiptech/...terfaceInstall

BUT...

I have absolutely no idea on how to remove the center stuff (like the gear shifter stuff) and the arm rest...
I would really appreciate it if someone could kinda guide me on how to go about doing that...
All i can do in return is promise to take lots of pictures so the next guy that needs help only has to look at my pics to repeat the same mod/process

Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Very nice... how 'bout some screen shots of the display? Does the device show track information as the iPod is playing? For example, if you set your iPod to shuffle, does the artist-track-etc. show on your radio display?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Advanced

im actually about to get an ipod... i was waiting to install this thing before i got the ipod... i was testing out my bro's ipod and it seemed to work fine and showed the artist and title.. when i finish the whole thing ill post a youtube video so everyone can see how it iworks...
i think one of the cooler things is that it comes with a usb port so that you can update it through your computer....

im still trying to find instructions on how to remove the center area and trying to see how i would route it up my armrest..

i think the armrest is the best because i dont have to worry about ppl smashing in my window cuz they see an ipod holder in my car....

Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Sweet --- I think I'm just going to order one and give it a go.

I still don't think you can get it into the armrest w/o drilling something... if you haven't already, you may want to pull up the rubber mat at the bottom of the console. Maybe there's an opening or bolt down there that you can remove in order to snake a cable through? I can't remember off the top of my head what's in there... I guess I could look tomorrow...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

This peripheral adapter sounds really good.

so far, HD Radio and IPOD integration.

Does it sound good? I hear some units (other adapters) have buzzing or signal deterioration.

Also, can the ipod be controlled through the steering wheel controls?

and, does the song title and artist also show up on the radio?

If this does all this, I am going to buy one also.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced

I just tested it with my gf's old classic ipod and ...
In Ipod Mode
you control the ipod from the steering wheel
you can see the artist (But it doesnt scroll)
you can see the song title ( But it doesnt scroll)

In Aux1 mode
you control the ipod from the ipod
you cant see text on the radio

i dont konw what you mean by sound degradation... it sounds 100000 x better than factory radio.... factory radio sucked so bad ... i always heard static and crap on every station... i dont really hear it yet on the HD radio...
so far the only problem is...
cycleing the presets of the hd radio through the steering wheel is very spastic ...... like it will cycel from 1 to 2 to 4 to 6 instead of 1 to 2 to 3 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6

hope this helps...
Eddie

Last edited by Cytomax; 04-09-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Eddie!

That helps alot.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
10th Gear

oh 1 more thing.

I assume the CD changer still works as before? that's isn't affected, right?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

I'm psyched that *some* of the track info is visible on the headunit. I thought the USASpec adapter was a great device... the one thing it was lacking was display capability.

Nogard... there shouldn't be any sound degradation... and generally, it only really affects analog radio reception, particularly AM if at all. If you want to be proactive about it, just make sure you use high quality shielded wire for any aux inputs you hook up to the PXAMG, and run a GLI (ground loop isolator) as well to eliminate the static or hum that could potentially affect your AM radio. I would imagine that if you add the HD tuner, it'll be much less of an issue.

Cyto - the sporadic cycling of the presets sounds like the problems that the older Blitzsafe adapters (iPod and auxiliary input) had... however, since it's relatively easy to update the firmware via USB, I would just send an email to the customer service mailbox. I sent a few questions via email to their technical guy, and he responded within a day. That's why I ordered one

I just tested it with my gf's old classic ipod and ...
In Ipod Mode
you control the ipod from the steering wheel
you can see the artist (But it doesnt scroll)
you can see the song title ( But it doesnt scroll)

In Aux1 mode
you control the ipod from the ipod
you cant see text on the radio

i dont konw what you mean by sound degradation... it sounds 100000 x better than factory radio.... factory radio sucked so bad ... i always heard static and crap on every station... i dont really hear it yet on the HD radio...
so far the only problem is...
cycleing the presets of the hd radio through the steering wheel is very spastic ...... like it will cycel from 1 to 2 to 4 to 6 instead of 1 to 2 to 3 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6

hope this helps...
Eddie
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Advanced

i sent an email as well but it replied saying that he was on vacation from like april 6 to like april 14 or something around there.. so ill guess ill just wait around for him to get back to me..
Eddie
Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

^^^I got the same message, but he still responded... your question(s) probably require a bit more attention though...
Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
This peripheral sounds good. But I wonder what it does on the Navi models. From what I understand, the artist and song info is displayed as text on the non-navi radio. If you have a navi tsx, do the artist display on the navi screen and the lcd screen where the clock is? or does it just display on the lcd screen where the clock is?
I emailed a seller on ebay, and peripheral had told him that it displays on both. Of course, I'm skeptical
Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jottle
This peripheral sounds good. But I wonder what it does on the Navi models. From what I understand, the artist and song info is displayed as text on the non-navi radio. If you have a navi tsx, do the artist display on the navi screen and the lcd screen where the clock is? or does it just display on the lcd screen where the clock is?
I emailed a seller on ebay, and peripheral had told him that it displays on both. Of course, I'm skeptical
It should display ARTIST, ALBUM and TRACK info on the nav screen, just as your XM would display the info. And it will display a single line of your choice on the upper display. Atleast that's what my Accord does.

I've had the Media Gateway in my truck for a few weeks. I like it, but have noticed a "crackle" sound in the background that my DICE adapter did not have. If my volume is up you can hear it in between songs. In my opinion this iPod adapter from Peripheral/PAC Audio is the best execution I've seen in years.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:11 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

^^^^Sweet - that's exactly what I want to hear!

Jottle... I'll be the guinea pig for navi owners --- I have a '05 TSX w/ nav. I expect the package to arrive by this weekend, so provided it doesn't rain (my garage is acting as my storage ), I'll get it in and report back.