O4 TSX carputer amp sub install - Done!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O4 TSX carputer amp sub install - Done!

This project has been complete for a while, but I just got around to posting the pics. In the early stages (audio upgrade) this forum was a great source of information and guidance. A big "thank you" to you all, especially the frequent posters who really know the answers - you know who you are. After the audio was done an indash VGA touchscreen fabrication was the major effort connected to a PC in the trunk. For that portion www.mp3car.com was an invaluable resource, and I recommend anyone with interest in this sort of thing to head over there and start reading....

I have detailed pics of the whole process here: http://www.vanderwoude.net/gallery/tsx

My goal was to intall all of this in a "non-destructive" way. With the exception of a few drill holes for wires in the trunk liner, all of this could be removed and the stock parts re-installed. Audio output from the USB soundcard is into the SNHOND3 aux in. Headunit output was tapped at the harness (pre stock amp) and routed to the JL amp in the trunk. No line drivers required. Stock rear deck 6x9's were removed. Sound improvement is dramatic. It's not audiophile quality an it's not going to rock the neighborhood, but it is way better than stock, and I like it. I left the stock rear door speakers in and attached to the stock amp. There is a diagram with the pics.

Currently available via touchscreen interface: MP3 player (23G worth), XM, GPS, 802.11G (Web browser, file sync), Video, DVD, OBD-II.

Project summary:
Via Epia M-10000 MB
512 Ram
Morex 3688B case
Opus 90W - outrigger mount
Lilliput 7" VGA touchscreen with fabricated install
Screen powered off Opus 12V via relay (Key off -> screen off)
Dash piece includes USB hub and switches
Auxillary 12V->5V DC-DC regulator to power rear USB Hub (relayed by 12V off Opus)
Creative Live! USB External soundcard
JL Audio e4300 4ch amp (2 channels to front speakers, 2 bridged to sub)
JL 10W0 sub in custom enclosure (fiberglass)
Alpine Type S 6.5" component speakers mounted in stock speaker locations
Audio out to stock headunit, all dash and steeringwheel controls still functional.
KnuKonceptz 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit and distribution blocks
USB GPS (BU-353) mounted under rear deck: reception is great
USB XMPCR for XM radio antenna under rear deck: reception good not perfect
USB 802.11G mostly for sync with my MP3 collection (23G and counting)
OBD-II serial interface

Thanks again for your help!

P.S. I did all the work myself. I have little previous experience. If I can do it, you can do it.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Cruisin'

Pics

Console has since been re-assembled. Still have a little wire clean up to do...
Old 01-07-2006, 12:36 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
looks very nice...wha can you tell us about the apps that use the OBDII interface?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:36 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
What happened to the old matchbox?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great man

Nice job doing it all yourself too.
What software are you running? One of my friends runs http://www.mediaengine.org/ and he really likes it.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, how much did it all cost if you don't mind me asking?

Just looked at the install pics
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by elduderino
looks very nice...wha can you tell us about the apps that use the OBDII interface?
I have this interface : http://obddiagnostics.com/

Screen shots of included OBDII software here: http://obddiagnostics.com/ScrnShot/Winscreen.html

It does not integrate into RoadRunner but can be started through the "app launch" screen.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Also, how much did it all cost if you don't mind me asking?

Just looked at the install pics

Thanks,

I use RoadRunner and like it a lot. RoadRunner is an open source project (really only one developer) and uses WinAmp for audio. Everything RoadRunner related is discussed here : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Be sure to check out some of the skins.

I don't have the exact costs. A rough estimate would be $2200 for parts, supplies and some tools.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
welcome to carputer club... i can't believe i didn't see you on mp3 car... the glassing work looks great...

2 quick questions...

which GPS unit and software u using???

and which OBDII unit did u decide to use???
Old 01-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
welcome to carputer club... i can't believe i didn't see you on mp3 car... the glassing work looks great...

2 quick questions...

which GPS unit and software u using???

and which OBDII unit did u decide to use???

Thanks. For GPS I started with an inexpensive "GPS Mouse" from eBay. It worked for a while, but I had recurring problems with the "jumping/ballpoint serial mouse/detection issues. I upgraded to the BU-353 . Better reception, no problems and it's under the rear deck. $66

For software I use Routis which is no longer available. I think it's great. From what I understand iGuidance is essentially the same thing. $90.

RE: odbII see my post above.
RE: mp3car.com. as with this forum, I read a lot but post sparingly....

I just updated the top pic, more recent...
Old 01-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Banned

wow ! now that's PIMP ! great job !
Wish I had the skill and know-how
Old 01-07-2006, 11:49 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cleaaaaaaaaaaaannnn
Old 01-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by matchbox
Thanks,

I use RoadRunner and like it a lot. RoadRunner is an open source project (really only one developer) and uses WinAmp for audio. Everything RoadRunner related is discussed here : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Be sure to check out some of the skins.

I don't have the exact costs. A rough estimate would be $2200 for parts, supplies and some tools.
Does roadrunner work with winamp fullscreen visualization plugins?

'01
Old 01-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 01cl_blk
Does roadrunner work with winamp fullscreen visualization plugins?

'01

Yes, the only issue is CPU power. With the Mini-ITX M10000 MB that I have it runs AVS pretty well, Milk Drop is a little slow @ full screen. When it runs in the playlist (replacing album art or playlist itself depending on the skin) it runs great.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Do you have a keyboard on your system, or just using the touchscreen? I want to run without a keyboard on the system I'm going to install, but getting out of a fullscreen vis would be a problem without an ESC key..

'01
Old 01-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

u can get a mini KB.. they even have some the size of your hand...
Old 01-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced

I've been looking for super-small keyboards but haven't found anything that included an ESC key once the keyboard is that small. Got any links? Best one I've found is this one:
http://keyboardspecials.com/mini.htm
(3rd one down on the page). Of course, it's something like $120 though.

'01
Old 01-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

Do you have a keyboard on your system, or just using the touchscreen? I want to run without a keyboard on the system I'm going to install, but getting out of a fullscreen vis would be a problem without an ESC key..

'01
I have the keyboard shown here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41136

Conveniently plugs in below the monitor. I ocassionally use it for config issues, or to send an email from my car (only because I can).

It's not needed for day-to-day operation at all. One touch on the screen while in fullscreen vis and it switches back to the playlist.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Ah, ok, that's good to know. I figured the screen would pretty much be locked-up when in fullscreen vis.

How do you like the opus psu? I was originally looking at the m1-ATX but people have been reporting some instability issues with it. I'm now looking at the opus 120. I plan to run a lot of usb devices though, so I'm not sure if any of the opus solutions will provide enough power on the 5v rail.

planned usb:
usb for the touchscreen
usb keyboard/mouse (though maybe I can eliminate it entirely)
usb gps
usb wireless adapter
and probably 2 spare usb ports on the dashboard somewhere, to connect a usb-key drive, etc.

The rest of the system is just a 40gb laptop drive and a slimline cd/dvd, and probably 7cm fan, running on the EPIA MII-12000.

I'm planning to probably use the Alpine CDA-9851, and I don't know which touchscreen yet. None of the ones out there seem to be too good in sunlight, which is my main concern with the whole system right now.

What gauge of wire did you use to run 12V to the trunk?

'01

Last edited by 01cl_blk; 01-07-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that actually looks incredible...im in love with the CARPUTER at the bottom
Old 01-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

How do you like the opus psu? I was originally looking at the m1-ATX...
What gauge of wire did you use to run 12V to the trunk?
I have been very happy with the Opus PSU. No experience with the m1-ATX but I'll bet that would be good also. The Opus 90W is discontinued, 120W is the current model.

The 5V rail is certainly a major issue in all of this. I think the people that make the m1-ATX make an add on 5V aux supply. I "built" one using a regulator from Jameco
and a relay, the output plugs directly to the power-in for my USB hub in the trunk. Solved all of my problems, but did introduce a tiny bit of noise. I think I can fix it by relocating the box...

For power I ran the KnuKonceptz 4 guage amp install kit to the trunk and each end to a distribution block (you can see them mounted under the cpu).

It sounds like you have this project pretty well thought out. Mine took longer that I thought it would and definately had it's share of unexpected problems, but it was worth it.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

i am also using an OPUS, but mine is the 150 watt version... i do not have powere issues (knocks on wood)...

match im not sure what you are describing about the 5V rail you built... were u trying to power the hub???

i am running 8 gauge... same board as match, and def save your money up for the Xenarc... i got a Lilli and then sold it bc i couldn't stand it anymore...

Old 01-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Kamlung: Any power issues with 8 gauge wire? I'm going to need to run about 10' from the 12v tap in the dashboard (driver's side left knee) down the centerline of the car to the trunk.

Also going to need to run about an 8' length of USB cable from the trunk to the dashboard, for the touchscreen and at least 1 USB port in the faceplate of the headunit/LCD.

Yeah, I think the xenarc is my top choice right now, most likely one of the retractable ones, except the profile when they're closed is not very attractive. The most problematic part of this is fabricating a housing that will hold 2 1-DIN units (the headunit and the retractable screen). Not quite sure what I'm going to do for that yet.

'01
Old 01-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

KaMLuNg:

I really like that custom case, nice job.

If I was starting with this project today, I would get a Xenarc and the Opus 150W. I was trying to save a few $.... Maybe I would nerver have seen a 5V power issue.

'01:

RE: wire guage, you can find calculators that suggest wire size based on current (in amps) and distance. I used 4 guage, a little overkill, but I might need it if I every move on to ver. 2.0.

RE: USB cable. I have 3 cables from my trunk to the dash (15'). No issues. (touchscreen, usb hub, usb audio).

Last edited by matchbox; 01-09-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Very nice
Old 01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Advanced

I was wondering specifically about how you're powering the screen. You mentioned using a relay between the Opus and the screen. Do you remember where you got your relay and maybe the part number? Did you consider powering the screen directly off the 12v tap in the fusebox? Is that not a good way to go?
My main concern is running a 10' length of 8-Gauge wire from the 12v tap to the trunk, and then running another length back to the dashboard to power the screen. Just seems kind of redundant, and I'm trying to figure out if there's a better way to go about it... Maybe by running a wire from the 12v ON tap and then splitting that wire, running one split to the trunk and the other the screen in the dashboard? Anyone have any suggestions?

'01
Old 01-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

I was wondering specifically about how you're powering the screen. You mentioned using a relay between the Opus and the screen. .....

'01
My goal for the screen power was to have a stable (regulated) 12V source that is only on when the computer is on. Powering it off the opus 12V rail is the obvious answer (used by many before me). I just added a 12V (coil) relay from radio shack. The coil is connected to acc so the screen is only powered up if the key is on. That way, if you leave your computer running when the car is off, the screen won't draw any current. I already had the acc line to the trunk for the "on-off" signal for the opus (third wire).
Old 01-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it! Looks good Glass work looks great. Need to hide a few wires on the amp rack, but other than that....very impressive.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 AM
noclownn

Wow

Matchbox that is unbelievable setup. How did you mount the sub box and would you be willing to sell a sub box and a front bezel that you created? I am not a fabricater and that is an incredible concept that you came up with.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 AM
1st Gear

It looks really great. congrats, matchbox!