CL: New touch screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
New touch screen

Hey guys i am hoping i can get some answer here. I installed a kenwood touch screen over the weekend the install wasnt bad, but now i am getting feedback through the speakers sort of if some one was saying shhhh thats what it sounds like. Im wondering if it could be the crimps i used to connect the harness together? I went through and checked the grounds and wiring and everything seems fine the deck it self works like it should but the feed back is pretty annoying. Anyone know of what it might be?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the only thing you can do, is recheck your work and maybe use different crimps
Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Do you solder? May be best to solder and heatshrink them. Sounds like there's a bad ground in one of your crimps. Are you using any line outs? If so then a ground loop isolator may help.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Do you solder? May be best to solder and heatshrink them. Sounds like there's a bad ground in one of your crimps. Are you using any line outs? If so then a ground loop isolator may help.
no line outs. ill check the grounds when I get some time, taking apart the center was a headache. haha
Old 11-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

part of the fun of modding your car
Old 11-28-2016, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justnspace
probably going to in the spring. I think I can live with it for now when the music is turned up, but still bugs me knowing that its still there
Old 11-28-2016, 10:50 AM

probably should test before buttoning everything back up
Old 11-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Banned

probably should test before buttoning everything back up
I did that all that I just couldn't see myself putting that stock radio back in after taking about 3 hours on the install (im a novice when it comes to car audio) or paying 200 for a car audio shop to do it
Old 11-28-2016, 10:56 AM

it didnt give you feedback when you tested the new screen?
only gave you feeback when you buttoned everything ba ck up?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Banned

it didnt give you feedback when you tested the new screen?
only gave you feeback when you buttoned everything ba ck up?
it had feedback before I put everything back together, I was irritated after awhile just gave up ill come back another time
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 11:00 AM

gotcha!
next time leave everything unbuttoned until you're ready to come back. less work

sure, you'll have to drive it all torn up like that...but its better than putting it back together and then having to take it all apart again, at least thats how I do installs that get frustrating
mattcl-s (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 AM

and round of an applause!
practice makes perfect!
now, you'll be able to get to the stereo faster now that you have experience
Old 11-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Banned

gotcha!
next time leave everything unbuttoned until you're ready to come back. less work

sure, you'll have to drive it all torn up like that...but its better than putting it back together and then having to take it all apart again, at least thats how I do installs that get frustrating
yeah, I was pretty anxious to get it all done in one day and remember where all the damn screws go there is so many haha! i'm thinking maybe the crimp I used on the ground is bad? I should try a different one when I take it apart again
Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 AM

feedback is usually caused by a bad ground or unshielded cables.
you will need to go back in, Doctor...and inspect your work.
if anything looks messy, redo it. if something isnt grounded, ground it!
mattcl-s (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mattcl-s
yeah, I was pretty anxious to get it all done in one day and remember where all the damn screws go there is so many haha! i'm thinking maybe the crimp I used on the ground is bad? I should try a different one when I take it apart again
perhaps.....

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Banned

Old 11-28-2016, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Hey guys i am hoping i can get some answer here. I installed a kenwood touch screen over the weekend the install wasnt bad, but now i am getting feedback through the speakers sort of if some one was saying shhhh thats what it sounds
It may be electronic noise from the spark plugs, alternator, HVAC blower, radiator fan, or one of the many on board processors. Does this noise occur when in the accessory mode? Make sure you turn off as many devices as you can, such as HVAC motors, wipers, etc.

Does it happen on all inputs AM, FM, CD, AUX, SAT, etc.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
It may be electronic noise from the spark plugs, alternator, HVAC blower, radiator fan, or one of the many on board processors. Does this noise occur when in the accessory mode? Make sure you turn off as many devices as you can, such as HVAC motors, wipers, etc.

Does it happen on all inputs AM, FM, CD, AUX, SAT, etc.
yes its on all the inputs. everything is off and it will still be there. I did some more research on it its could most likely be a bad ground or something with how it mounted in there.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Pro

DOes it appear to be coming from all speakers? You can use your fade & balance controls to listen to one speaker at a time. Does your CL have the dynamic noise cancellation system that my RDX has. These systems pick up interior noise using a microphone and then play back the same sound phase inverted through the stereo speakers to cancel the noise. If you do have this feature, then you should be able to disable it within the settings menu.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Banned

DOes it appear to be coming from all speakers? You can use your fade & balance controls to listen to one speaker at a time. Does your CL have the dynamic noise cancellation system that my RDX has. These systems pick up interior noise using a microphone and then play back the same sound phase inverted through the stereo speakers to cancel the noise. If you do have this feature, then you should be able to disable it within the settings menu.
yeah its on all speakers. I tried messing around with the setting found nothing so, my only option is to take it apart again
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Banned

Anyone know if a DIY for installing? just wondering if there is any steps that I missed like if I am suppose to bypass anything or wiring something a certain way. I am taking it apart this Sunday to check my work again
Old 12-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Pro

I installed a kenwood touch screen over the weekend the install wasnt bad, but now i am getting feedback through the speakers sort of if some one was saying shhhh
If the Kenwood powers up, and all speakers work, and adjusting the fader and balance controls let you send the sound to the proper speakers, then everything is probably wired correctly.

I would describe the "shhhh" sound as a hiss sound. I Googled "hiss from Kenwood" and found many results which indicate this is a common problem.

One of the suggestions is that it is caused by the Kenwood over-driving the Acuras built in power amps. Without knowing the model of Kenwood you have, I can't check the owners manual, but check if their is a menu for setting the output levels and reduce them.

This link
is just one of them that describes the problem and it also explains what was required to resolve the problem.
mattcl-s (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Banned

If the Kenwood powers up, and all speakers work, and adjusting the fader and balance controls let you send the sound to the proper speakers, then everything is probably wired correctly.

I would describe the "shhhh" sound as a hiss sound. I Googled "hiss from Kenwood" and found many results which indicate this is a common problem.

One of the suggestions is that it is caused by the Kenwood over-driving the Acuras built in power amps. Without knowing the model of Kenwood you have, I can't check the owners manual, but check if their is a menu for setting the output levels and reduce them.

This link is just one of them that describes the problem and it also explains what was required to resolve the problem.
the model is a DDX373BT! yeah all the speakers work, fader, bass, highs. lows I tried messing aroud with the setting and couldn't find anything to make it go away ill mess with the eq again later tonight
Old 12-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Banned

Also forgot to mention not sure if it matters or anything but, previous owners must have a subs hooked up at one time because there is an RCA cord back there the yellow/red tips that would plug into the back of the HU also, a blue wire for amp/ remote .
Old 12-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
So how many speaker wires dedicated to each speaker? The reason why I ask is because mine (2012 TSX) had 3 per speaker which meant one of them is a floating ground wire which if not accounted for will cause noise issues similar to what you are experiencing. Another thing of note may be that the factory amp is currently taking a speaker level or balanced level input now from the OEM deck and maybe specifically designed to do so meaning your new Kenwood's low level signal is causing the problem. I'm unfamiliar with your particular audio section for your specific vehicle but I thought you may need a few leads on where to start since you don't want to take it in.
mattcl-s (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bchester6
So how many speaker wires dedicated to each speaker? The reason why I ask is because mine (2012 TSX) had 3 per speaker which meant one of them is a floating ground wire which if not accounted for will cause noise issues similar to what you are experiencing. Another thing of note may be that the factory amp is currently taking a speaker level or balanced level input now from the OEM deck and maybe specifically designed to do so meaning your new Kenwood's low level signal is causing the problem. I'm unfamiliar with your particular audio section for your specific vehicle but I thought you may need a few leads on where to start since you don't want to take it in.
I believe its pretty standard wiring 2 wires per speaker one positive one negative. I did have one wire left over it was a flat orange one which im pretty sure its a dimmer but I had already wired it with a orange white stripe.

I am starting to believe it has something to do with the amp and bose system. I read online people had similar problems even in corvettes with the bose system and after market head unit