TL: New head unit - keeping bose sub/amp and adding sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
03 Type S - 153,000 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New head unit - keeping bose sub/amp and adding sub

Alright, I have been searching the threads and havent had much luck finding answers.

Acura Tl type s : Right now i have the factory head unit and i removed the bose sub and put in a 10 sub ( in a box). I tied into the factory amp for my signal and have installed an aftermarket amp and the factory amp is just sitting idle.

Here is my question - Has anyone put in an aftermarket head unit - kept the bose subwoofer/amp and then added another amp and sub ? I'm sure there are people out there that have done this, but I'm wondering if having a sub in the trunk and then having the stock sub will distort the sound ?

I want to be able to turn off the 10inch sub in the trunk from the head unit and still have the bose sub working. Typically i would do this when my kids or wife is in the car.

Ideas, thoughts ? Also - does anyone have some good input on a decent head unit ?

Thanks
TF
Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
You could put a remote knob on the amp supplying the larger sub and turn it down when needed. If getting an aftermarket HU and planning to keep the factory sub there's a few steps u gotta follow which can be found on the forums here. Also might I suggest replacing the factory sub as its made of paper and isn't really great. I found an 8" (factory is 9", who makes 9"s??) It's a pioneer TS8. It's the shallowest 8" sub there is and will fit with a 1/2" spacer in the factory opening. Even with the factory (weaksauce) amp it sounds good so aftermarket amp will sound even better.
The following users liked this post:
tomf (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 AM
03 Type S - 153,000 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
You could put a remote knob on the amp supplying the larger sub and turn it down when needed. If getting an aftermarket HU and planning to keep the factory sub there's a few steps u gotta follow which can be found on the forums here. Also might I suggest replacing the factory sub as its made of paper and isn't really great. I found an 8" (factory is 9", who makes 9"s??) It's a pioneer TS8. It's the shallowest 8" sub there is and will fit with a 1/2" spacer in the factory opening. Even with the factory (weaksauce) amp it sounds good so aftermarket amp will sound even better.

Thanks Milwaukee dave !
Last night reading a few more threads, someone said " dont have both subs - aftermarket and the factory sub it will not work well". Does anyone else have input or feedback ?

If I decide to eliminate the factory amp/eq, what is the best method ?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
I'm not sure how it would sound but I don't think it'd be "bad" per say running both subs. I guess if you left the factory sub back there it'd get drown out by the new one but if u just drop an aftermarket speaker there it'll sound way better. If you want to eliminate factory amp and eq, just remove the factory radio and behind/above it by the climate controls is the eq. Only remove it if you're upgrading the HU. The amp can be found behind the top part of the rear seat on the passenger side. There's one bolt back there on the drivers side of rear armrest holding the bottom portion of the seat on. It's black in color. Remove that 10mm bolt (if I remember correctly) then lift up on the seat and it comes out. There's 3 bolts holding the back portion on. Then lift straight up while keeping it flat and it will come off. The amp is real tiny once u see it and easy to remove.