Need help putting a system together

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 10:16 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elduderino
Can I boil that down to "you still need an upgraded battery"?

And my point about stiff regulation of the power supply and caps has not really been answered. Why are you buying one again?

Maybe you should buy one of these...

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/C...er_Player.html

I think the CAP is to take up more space in the trunk!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:17 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not anti--C.A.P. - I bought one for our TSX demo system (it's not yet installed - gonna put the amp into the trunk and it will go back there.)

But DLS amps are not stiffly regulated... : )
Old 07-04-2005, 10:49 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not anti--C.A.P. - I bought one for our TSX demo system (it's not yet installed - gonna put the amp into the trunk and it will go back there.)

But DLS amps are not stiffly regulated... : )

Out of curiousity, do people make demo cars with more than one set of speakers in the the fronts and subs in the rear so that it can be used like a demo board in the stores?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
VP Electricity

Not too ofte. We have a set of 6x9s and a sub that we switch between for the back, but usually the best speaker location isn't optimal n the front, and what's left is even worse. Location has a lot to do with sound.

The passenger side of a TSX for example sounds notably worse than the driver's side to people under about 6'6" tall, since the instrument cluster bump blocks the driver's side tweeter.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey eld, talking about 6 x 9's, did you ever get to play with the genesis 6 x 9 sub? jps
Old 07-04-2005, 12:59 PM
VP Electricity

They are in the car right now... they sound a bit deeper than the MB Quarts but I think I liked the MB Quarts better.

We now have a switch on the amp to go from 1 DLS 10" to two Genesis 6x9s...
Old 07-04-2005, 01:20 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I boil that down to "you still need an upgraded battery"?

And my point about stiff regulation of the power supply and caps has not really been answered. Why are you buying one again?

Maybe you should buy one of these...

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/C...er_Player.html
Yep, Im buying a D34/78 yellow top. The guys at zapco recommended the alumapro CAP for the amount of amprage ill be running. Haha to late, I already bought the 9255+ the 9255 looks better to imo.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:06 PM
VP Electricity

I prefer the 9255 too... just thought it was funny how that HU's better looking in Japan.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
audio sq guru

I don't know if I'm too late adding in this forum ... but I have my 2 cents to add.

From what I understand the higher end DLS components are derived from another more popular manufactuer called: Dynaudio. Even if they arent dead on similar, and the Dynas are made for more power.

Adding to that particular subject, if you are in the ballpark of spending upwards of $500 then I would suggest you consider your options very much. Having a kick pannel may seem like an inconvenience, but it is very vital to some sound imaging, creating direction, and life to a lot of sound tones. Onwards I think you should look into SEAS Lotus components. I used them for 2 years, and wish I never got rid of them. Honestly I havent heard a better component setup for under $2000.

As for an amp. I see you are on the verge of purchasing a JL 1000.1 amp. Please condider that for the price you pay for that amp, that it IS a class D. Granted it is a nice amp, but for that price you could get a class A/B. Class D is more efficient, but a true A/B amp would sound much cleaner. A tube ampe even LESS efficient, but it has a very warm sound to it. Tue amps are not used for subwoofers though.

For a subwoofer choice you seem to be looking at the Adire Shiva, and whatever that other sub is. A quick point is the Adire Brahma. I use 2 Brahmas and have never been more happy. You could do a single 10, in a sealed enclosure, and have very nice sq. And when you want to... SQL.

And finally...the HU. I will just run brands ive heard, and sound great. Denon DCT Z1, Alpine F1, McIntosh, Nakamichi, and Sony. Not just any Sony. I forget the model but it has dual burr browns. Very nice stuff.

Anyways I know your head is spinning from all the research. Just remember that it will always be worth it. Also that nobody can tell you what sounds good to you. Thats the beauty in audio, everyone has their own flavor. Toodles!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
I=X - optomos

You must not of seen the pics on page 5. I bought the Seas Lotus & kicks. I didnt buy any JL amps cause I went with Zapco amps. At one time I was going to use an Adire sub, but decided to go with IDQ Max & bought the Clarion DRZ9255 HU.

Posts that go over 3 pages are hard to read through so when I get all my stuff ill start another post to show everything I got & the install. Thnx for your input though.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:54 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by xX24Xx
I don't know if I'm too late adding in this forum ... but I have my 2 cents to add.
That's because you didn't read the six-page thread...

Originally Posted by xX24Xx
From what I understand the higher end DLS components are derived from another more popular manufactuer called: Dynaudio. Even if they arent dead on similar, and the Dynas are made for more power.

Funny... the Morel guy says DLS is copying THEM... maybe speakers with low resonant frequencies and big voice coils aren't any one company's exclusive?

I say that as a guy who is a DLS and a Dyne dealer AND has two sets of Morels here for evaluation (they are recruiting us, not vice versa : )

DLS speakers sound great and are my most popular line. At least they've introduced a new speaker in the last ten years! (As opposed to Dyne, who seems to be coasting big-time...)

I'm not going to quote any of the rest of your thread, except to say this:

1) You seem to have a decent knowledge of higher-end audio.

2) You came across as condescending - partly by not reading the thread, and partly in your phrasing. Maybe you didn't mean to be, but that's my experience after reading your post. Much of what you said had already been said by others. No offense taken, but FYI.

I think that optomos got a very high quality system after a lot of research and work. I would have made different choices, but he has high-quality gear that can be made to sound excellent. He also has a project that will take a lot of hard work to accomplish!

Oh, and I'm also a Sony dealer, and there isn't a current Sony player that I would have recommended to him - even the one with the 24-bit dual Burr-Browns. Not at his level of equipment. Maybe you are thinking of the disco'd Mobile ES unit.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

I have DLS gear running my entire system and the sound quality is mind blowing. I had the install done a street effectz (NJ).......

nice clean powerfull sound. Period.

I am glad i jumped on this brand over the more popular picks.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I=X - optomos

I got some more stuff in. Now all I have left to get is the 9255 which im still waiting on & another C2K 4.0.

Oh ya almost forgot. This is the Zapco 750.2 to drive the sub & the ID MAX 12 DVC 2ohm.

Last edited by optomos; 07-14-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:47 PM
VP Electricity

I thought you were getting a BIG woofer ?

: )
Old 07-15-2005, 07:01 AM
I=X - optomos

I thought you were getting a BIG woofer ?

: )
Ive seen pictures of it & all & it didnt seem that large. I paid for it & went yesterday to get it. As soon as I saw it, I said I couldnt believe my eyes or how heavy it was. My first thought was "what have I done!" Looks like my fiberglass enclosure will have to be larger then I expected
Old 07-15-2005, 08:59 AM
VP Electricity

Every time someone says "that's enormous", say "I never get tired of hearing that".
Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 PM
I=X - optomos

My Clarion drz9255 finally came in! Now all I have left is one more amp. This weekend ill start applying the vb1x.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 PM
VP Electricity

Hey, optomos, how's this going?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 PM
I=X - optomos

I have so much to do. I ordered a whole bunch of symbilink cable yesterday which I cant install anything without having them. Here is what ive been doing so far.

Made some cuts around the speaker hole & pushed the metal back to make room for the basket & wire terminals.
Still have to do drivers side, trunk lid, roof, floor, & apply glass resin to the inside of the Q kicks.

I got a question about the drz9255:Should I use "standard mode" or "multi mode"?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:50 PM
VP Electricity

Based on what I found on the Clarion training manual(OK, Google found it), Multi uses the internal xovrs and standard gives you F and R full range and a sub out.

Based on the way you designed the system, you have to use just two full-range channels from the HU to the EQ, and have neither sub control nor time alignment.

Not bad things, but that's how it is - the alternative is to have like 6 Eq30s.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I=X - optomos

6 eq30's hm; take me about a month to adjust them Heres a pic of what I was talking about just to make sure were on the same page: (image is oversized intentionaly)

So what your saying is that I cant use multimode because my X-over & EQ'ing will be done by the SXL-4 & the EQ's? I was hoping to use multmode to use the "mid" & "low" outs.

Note:pic might take a while since its being hosted by yahoo
Old 08-21-2005, 12:10 PM
VP Electricity

I still can't see the pic, but yeah, your system is two-channel all the way through.

The time alignment of the 9255 is just not compatible with two-channel signal processors.

Given the level you're going to, honestly, I think your ultimate SQ will be better just using analog 2-channel out of the HU and doing all your signal processing in analog.

I think that those digital filters CAN be cool, but the Zapco SQ is second to none in that regard.

You didn't start this for ease of adjustment anyway : )
Old 08-21-2005, 03:36 PM
I=X - optomos

You didn't start this for ease of adjustment anyway : )
Sure, now you tell me
Old 08-27-2005, 10:51 AM
I=X - optomos

I know what you were talking about now Eld The 9255 has 3 different modes & the one I didnt mention was the "direct mode" which is what I need to use. In direct mode its front/rear/non-f.

"Front" goes into the left eq 30 then from left to the right eq 30. From there it goes to the slx-4 front input. "non-f" goes directly to the slx-4, but not sure yet if it goes to the rear or r\slave input. Then from the slx-4 to each channel of the amps.