My Sirius Tuner install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 09:47 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Sirius Tuner install [UPDATE Final Install Pics!]

It's not a TSX install but I think it should be relatively simaliar in any case.

I'm installing a Kenwood FM-modulator Sirius Set-Up in my Accord Coupe. Thanks GreyTSX for the link or I wouldn't have had the idea to install the Controller in the sunglass holder.

These pics are just the start of the install. Moda_Way and I are moving a good friend of mine this weekend into his new home. Therefore, more finished state for this project won't happen until next week. Good thing I have a garage and second car.

Removed the Sunglass holder and made a small hole to feed the controller wire through. Running the wire behind the headliner, behind the A-piller cover, and down behind the dash.

The controller will be placed much higher in the pocket once I finalize the install.

sorry about the quality.

More pics of install later

SEE BELOW.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You crazy dude!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Chad, just keep it that way until we do the amp install man

See ya Saturday!!
Old 08-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Re: My Sirius Tuner install

Originally posted by MrChad
It's not a TSX install but I think it should be relatively simaliar in any case.

I'm installing a Kenwood FM-modulator Sirius Set-Up in my Accord Coupe. Thanks GreyTSX for the link or I wouldn't have had the idea to install the Controller in the sunglass holder.

More pics of install later
You're welcome....I'll be looking for your later pics.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:00 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Hey GrayTSX, I just got everything hooked up when I turn on the controller it says SR--CH100 is this OK?

What should I expect the unit to do and when should I subscribe for service?

Is their away to see if I'm recieving a signal before subscribing?
How do I know if its looking for a signal?

(pics will be up soon.)

-MrChad
Old 09-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Tune into channel 184. The controller will display SR--CH184. This is the preview channel. You should get a display that says acquiring signal for a couple of minutes or less, then you will hear the preview channel.
If you get the preview channel ok you know everything is working and you can subscribe by calling Sirius or signing up thru their web page. You will need your vin# and the electronic serial # of the kenwood which is on the box.

And make sure that when you subscribe that your car is outside and the tuner on.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:44 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Talking UPDATE! ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Thanks GrayTSX this set-up is the bomb!!!
I have awesome booming Dance beats kicking in my car hard! Plus its clear as a bell, it rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the complete set-up.

This is it in the dark.

Now you see it.

Now you don't

And the remote works great too.

Antenna is on the rear deck shelf.

Clean install of tuner in the trunk.

We installed the power wires directly into the radio wire harness.

I had to fish the bus cable under the carpet and had to remove the rear seats to do it.

SAT antenna wire is hidden and run behind factory panels too.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Instructor

COOL
Old 09-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job Chad!!! I love your placement of the Kenwood module in the trunk. So sweet. Looking forward to helping you power those speakers now.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:06 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Thanks Everyone,

(Moda) wait until you see it up close.

I'm amazed someone as stereo ignorant as myself was able to pull this off.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:53 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Holy Crap! I love Sirius radio so much I just installed a set-up in my wife's car too.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=276824&page=3
Old 09-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Registered AssHat

I don't like the control panel in the sunglasses holder, but that's just personal preference. However, that is a SUPER install man. Everything's nice and clean looking.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Instructor

I would have put mine in the sunglass holder, but since the airbags are in the side pillars it don't know if the wiring was possible.
Here's what mine looks like...

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...ee=Acura%20TSX
Old 09-06-2003, 09:18 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I don't like the control panel in the sunglasses holder, but that's just personal preference. However, that is a SUPER install man. Everything's nice and clean looking.
I was originally planning to install the controller on the windshield wiht suction cups. But, after placing around with an old panasonic faceplate the sunglass holder was very choice. Dispite how it looks in the photo all of the bottons are within reach. And my Oakley's didn't fit in the holder so it was no loss to me.

Gray afterlooking at your tuner I see you have the older 901 unit. Best Buy is giving away the newer 902 tuner if you purchase the newer single wire antenna. (49.99) just thought I'd let you know. I have the 902 in my wife's car aswell and they just gave me the tuner for buying the antenna.

Hey GrayTSX have your thought about purchasing the TSX MP3 player cubby installation kit (sans MP3player.) you could mount your controller in the Kenwood din plate and in the one din MP3 cubby and have a factory look install. Or you could bend an L-bracket and install your controller in you top center cubby and hide it when not in use. That is its only needed if you want to actually hide your controller unit when not in use, which was the goal of the sunglass holder. My wife's car has it on the dash just like yours because that was were she wanted it.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by MrChad
I was originally planning to install the controller on the windshield wiht suction cups. But, after placing around with an old panasonic faceplate the sunglass holder was very choice. Dispite how it looks in the photo all of the bottons are within reach. And my Oakley's didn't fit in the holder so it was no loss to me.

Gray afterlooking at your tuner I see you have the older 901 unit. Best Buy is giving away the newer 902 tuner if you purchase the newer single wire antenna. (49.99) just thought I'd let you know. I have the 902 in my wife's car aswell and they just gave me the tuner for buying the antenna.

Hey GrayTSX have your thought about purchasing the TSX MP3 player cubby installation kit (sans MP3player.) you could mount your controller in the Kenwood din plate and in the one din MP3 cubby and have a factory look install. Or you could bend an L-bracket and install your controller in you top center cubby and hide it when not in use. That is its only needed if you want to actually hide your controller unit when not in use, which was the goal of the sunglass holder. My wife's car has it on the dash just like yours because that was were she wanted it.
I didn't even know there was a newer tuner. I just bought the unit from Crutcfield back in April so I'll be keeping that one for awhile. Before this one I had the Audiovox fm mod in my previous car. It was ok but the Kenwood sounds better.
I don't have any plans to get the MP3 player. I thought of mounting the face with the din plate but just did it the lazy way and velcro'd it on.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:27 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally posted by GRAYTSX
I didn't even know there was a newer tuner. I just bought the unit from Crutcfield back in April so I'll be keeping that one for awhile. Before this one I had the Audiovox fm mod in my previous car. It was ok but the Kenwood sounds better.
I don't have any plans to get the MP3 player. I thought of mounting the face with the din plate but just did it the lazy way and velcro'd it on.
I didn't mean get an MP3 player I ment just get the bracket/install kit so you could mount the Kenwood Controller plate in the one din slot for a clean install. But I can understand not wanting to deal with the hassle.

I didn't know the 902 tuner was out either but I checked out the Siriusbackstage.com board and they had mentioned Cleaner reception with the 1-wire 902 antenna and tuner vs. the 2-wire 901 antenna and tuner. The only real advantage I see to the 902 is that it doesn't require it's own power supply like some of the earlier 901's did. I only mention the deal incase you wanted to have the new antenna b/c then you get the tuner for free and can shelve it for later.