My Horrible Install Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Horrible Install Experience

God I just went through a week of hell having my car radio installed.

Audo Installer

Soundtrax in centereach NY (Long Island) The owner, sales people and installers are so clueless. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

1. Bring car in on Friday June 23. no radio in but will be in sat delivery

2. Sat supposed to finish with car but I was able to give them another day

3. Monday get a call that my focals don't work all of a sudden

4. Tuesday get a call to come get the car. Charlie says that the car is done. He said that the radio install was so clean and perfect looking. I get there globs of glue on the face kit. The left corner of the face kit was cracked. Charlie tells me that it is something he wanted to change and the guy that normally does it is away on vacation and will be back on Friday. So I let the car sit Wed and thursday at the shop.

5. Friday comes and I get a ride to get the car. The owner never tells anyone that I'm coming until a few minutes before I arrive. The car isn't done. I leave. Get a call later on that night and say it's done. I go to pick up the car and none of my air conditining controls work. When I back the car up to the bay all I hear is tons of engine noise. Lenny the installer quickly passes the blame to another installer for the air. Then says he will put filters on the car for the engine noise. Lenny also stated that because I'm using an amplifiers that your going to get engine noise no matter what.

6. Saturday July 1 (Week and a day) I get a call from Charlie the salesman that they found out the engine noise was from a bad ground and now there is zero engine noise. Said he had to adjust the gains also to get rid of extras. I go to get the car. Bruce the owner I assume tells me that they fixed it by putting filters on. So who is lying?. I'm fuming by now. I go out to the car and the first thing I notice is engine noise. Sure it is lower then before but it is still there.

I said let me get the F out of here while I can. I am going to count my losses and get it fixed elsewhere. On the way home I notice they didn't even hook up the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sucks
Old 07-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Ouch.. I'd go back and complain to the manager/owner and ask for money back
Old 07-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

:ibeldudesaysomething:
Old 07-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Advanced

It's hard when the owner of the shop doesn't even care. Once I get the car checked out by a couple of authorized JL Dealers I'm going to get it fixed then small claims sue the company for the amount to do it right at another shop.

I also have two calls into JL audio to complain about there authorized dealers. Only so much lying and crap you can take from a place.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Years ago I realized that many shops are not going to spend the time to do the best job. So, between that and my interest in getting my hands dirty, I was determined to learn about this stuff and try to do it all myself.

But as far as engine noise is concerned, it's easy to get, and hard to get rid of.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 AM
East Coast Boost.!

should have paid some high school kid 50 bucks to do it. prob would have done a better job
Old 07-02-2006, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear

I wish you had posted a half hour sooner!

I took my TSX to --- yup, Soundtrax in Centereach --- yesterday right before you posted, say 12 Noon to get a Harman Kaarden iPlay hooked up. They said it would be ready by closing, 6 PM.

I get there at 6 (after calling to confirm it was going to be ready) and it wasn't ready til 7. Ok, fine. I get in the car to test it out and instead of installing it directly into the stereo, or even through the aux port in the console, they installed it FM! I can't use that here on Long Island. They said that it would have to be hooked up from the earphone port on the iPod to the aux port in the console with a long cord. It was already late and I had folks waiting on me for dinner so I asid I'd bring it back next week with the cord to be done.

I drove off then thought, gee, let me see what that will sound like hooked up...and let me tell you it is awful. The bleed is terrible. No way can I live with that!

So now I have to do my own research to make sure that it gets done properly next Saturday.

The good news is that the install itself looks gorgeous. No problems at all, fit is good, no glue showing, very nice indeed. The bad news is that I can't use it.

I did my homework on this and got recommendations so all I can say is that either they had a particularly bad week (or day) or things have changed.

Has anyone else had any experience with a 2006 TSX and an iPlay? Is it compatible? Am I being haunted by the TSX audio-ipod XM bleed ghost?

I would hate to have this thing pulled out because it is incompatible. While you can't actually LISTEN to it, the interface to the iPod works great and really looks terrific in the car!

Thanks for the listen and the advice....
Old 07-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced

I'm glad it worked out for you. There is no excuse for the way they did there work on my car. Bad day or bad week or not. The owner should be embarassed with the way my car came out but he wasn't he bragged how nice the speakers sounded. Deaf to engine noise I guess. I've had car audio done in 4 other cars never had engine noise. I know noise filters are not the answer to engine noise as well.

Ron (Streeteffects) did my original install of hte focal speakers a few years ago. By far one of the best wiring jobs which was even complemented by a dealer putting in my remote start awhile back.. Not even an ounce of engine noise. I'm sure ron wouldn't even of let the car out of his shop with it. So few people who install like Ron.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, NYDennis --- it has not worked out for me, yet. I am unable to use my installed Harman Karden unit at all.

I'll update when I go on Saturday to get it fixed.

What are you going to do? BTW, I don't think Bruce IS the owner, I think it is some other guy because Bruce said he had to ask The Owner about what to do with my mis-install. I think you should pursue it. As I said, I have heard good things about this place.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Ahh I didn't know. Bruce was talking like the owner at closing time and all I ever do is see him hanging around watching over the people. I may write a letter addressed to the owner. Honestly I will not be dealing with them in the future at all. They just haven't won me over or made me feel comfortable there. I'm going to tell the salesperson this when he calls me next week to see how things are but as far as getting it fixed there no way. was looking over the receipt today and also noticed they put in 5 1/4 in the rears instead of the 6 1/4 that we discussed.

I'm going to have someone else look someplace else. Great installer and takes great care on the car. I was too impatient. A guy named Greg from Gomobile inc. He does a lot of VW cars and does some aftermarket installs for BMW or mercedes dealers I forget. But I've seen his work before.

GL though I'm sure yours will come out ok after they fix it. Just make sure it's exactly what you want.

Where did you put the joystick for the ipod?

Yeah you were clear I meant glad it worked out on the install itself.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 PM
3rd Gear

I put the joystick below and to the right of the shift on the console. I put the screen in the "this is not an ashtray" useless un-ashtray. It looks VERY nice!

But the put the "brain" of the thing someplace behind the dash and so the iPod will have to rest in the glovebox. I'm not sure I like that; I specifically said I wanted to be able to connect it in the center console because the iPod does not turn off with the ignition so I have to unplug it every time. Its a pain in the glovebox (I have short arms). And the aux port is right there in the center console so what the heck were they thinking?

Let me know where you decide to take yours to fix it.