Now running Infinity Kappas...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now running Infinity Kappas...

OK, I did a massive sound upgrade today. I'm now running infinity kappas in my 06 TSX. I've got Infinity 60.7 components up front and Infinity 63.7s in the rear.

All in all the install was pretty much a breeze. A little dremeling to widen the tweeter holes, a little hammering (ala tire iron hehe) on the doors to widen the stock holes by like 1/8", and I managed to get these new babies in.

I highly recommend using metra speaker brackets and some oem- connecting wire harnesses. I used these and made my install plug-n-play, and I think I saved myself a lot of hassle of extra drilling, soldering, and swearing as a result, not to mention time.

SQ is pretty nice. Its not blow your socks off amazing. Its where I expected quite frankly. I spent a grand total of just <$300 and really did a number for the system. eBay for the speakers, crutchfield/BB for brackets and wire harnesses.

My Big Question is this: what are the long term implications of running these 2 ohm speakers off my stock amp? I didn't lose any volume level like I was afraid of, I don't feel that I have to turn it up any higher than my usual 14-18 listening level to get it loud during slow driving, and maybe 18-20 to crank on the highway.

So, I'm a very happy camper, with a much nicer sounding system. I encourage others to do the same!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What did you do with the rear deck 6x9 speakers?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/closed-fs-tsx-stock-6x9-speakers-made-pioneer-%2425-339587/
Old 06-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

I'm assuming you have the 60.7 in the front doors and the 63.7 in the rear doors. I see you're selling the OEM 6x9 speakers and I was wondering what you replaced them with. I don't recall if you have a sub in the trunk or not. I too am curious about the 2-ohm speakers. At 95db they are very efficient so I'm not surprised you don't lose anything as far as volume is concerned.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Correct regarding having the split components up from and the 3-ways in the rear doors, I mentioned that in the first post.

I also am using an avincar sub setup: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/tsx-avincar-custom-enclosure-jl-250-1-plug-n-play-334751/

Maybe I should turn my sig mods into thread links, heh. After all, can't tell a mod to SEARCH
Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Reach
Correct regarding having the split components up from and the 3-ways in the rear doors, I mentioned that in the first post.

I also am using an avincar sub setup: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334751

Maybe I should turn my sig mods into thread links, heh. After all, can't tell a mod to SEARCH
I only noticed your sig only says "Avincar custom audio" after my first post.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Reach - im also looking to put infiniti's in my '06 TSX as i had with my old car. Do you think swapping oem 6x9s with infiniti 3ways and adding a my 10" sub+amp will give me a significant change in sound quality?

I'm looking to not spend too much right now, hence why i dont want to mess with the doors if i dont have to. I think within time I will change doors n components with infinitis as well and add a 4-channel but this is my option right now.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
... Do you think swapping oem 6x9s with infiniti 3ways and adding a my 10" sub+amp will give me a significant change in sound quality?...
I think the consensus seems to be that the rear deck speaker only get a low frequency filtered signal. The dash tweeters are high frequency only, with the front and rear doors getting more or less a full signal. Adding fullrange 6x9's in the rear probably won't produce a significant difference, other than (hopefully) improved low frequency response that the new driver might provide.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey Reach - im also looking to put infiniti's in my '06 TSX as i had with my old car. Do you think swapping oem 6x9s with infiniti 3ways and adding a my 10" sub+amp will give me a significant change in sound quality?

I'm looking to not spend too much right now, hence why i dont want to mess with the doors if i dont have to. I think within time I will change doors n components with infinitis as well and add a 4-channel but this is my option right now.

Thanks!
Adding aftermarket anything to the rear deck won't get you anything unless you take the time and effort to run wires for a full-signal connection. The only thing coming out of those back speakers as of now is the low end, and new speakers alone won't change that. Replacing them with an amp and sub (even 10") is an improvement. Don't expect any improvement by replacing them with other speakers.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Adding aftermarket anything to the rear deck won't get you anything unless you take the time and effort to run wires for a full-signal connection. The only thing coming out of those back speakers as of now is the low end, and new speakers alone won't change that. Replacing them with an amp and sub (even 10") is an improvement. Don't expect any improvement by replacing them with other speakers.
Understandable - so having a 4-channel wired to the aftermarket interiors would be the route to go if i want a significant change in sound by replacing the rear decks and/or doors?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Understandable - so having a 4-channel wired to the aftermarket interiors would be the route to go if i want a significant change in sound by replacing the rear decks and/or doors?
Yes, a common (and good) way to do the upgrade is components up front, 3-ways in the rear doors, a 4 channel amp for the previous speakers, and a seperate amp/sub for the bass.

This will allow you to utilize all the stock wiring effectively.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:58 PM

Yes, a common (and good) way to do the upgrade is components up front, 3-ways in the rear doors, a 4 channel amp for the previous speakers, and a seperate amp/sub for the bass.

This will allow you to utilize all the stock wiring effectively.
After such upgrades, the stock amp will just 'sit there' per se and not be utilized at all correct? Also, can i still upgrade the rear decks and have those run off an amp as well instead of not utilizing them at all as it seems like that is what youve done.

Is there anything else i should do or know when i upgrade my speakers??

Sorry for all the questions, im new to understanding the whole aftermarket audio process wit the TSX! Thanks for the information man
Old 06-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Or better yet, remove the stock amp entirely.

I'm really not the best source of info here and certainly not an expert. A good way to get a full idea of what you want to do with you car is go to a local car stereo install place (but not BB or CC) and talk to them about an upgrade. Let them price out a full, really nice system and all the work and get an estimate and full parts list.

Take that estimate home and decide if you want to go for it, part of it, or source the parts yourself and DIY. I got lots of opinions on what I "should" do before I went and did it myself. It really helped me a lot to get installers' opinions, even though I didn't go with any of them.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

I am also thinking to change the fornt and rear speaker in my 04 TSX. Reach, can you tell me where you get your speaker brackets and what is the part # for it. If you can post the link of it then it will be best. Thanks