Kicker RMB8 w/stock Bose Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Kicker RMB8 w/stock Bose Amp?

Anyone tried replacing the stock Bose sub with the Kicker RMB8, but leaving the stock Bose Amp?

Must I change the amp?

Cheers!

Jay
Old 02-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
it will work. it would be better to get a better amp but it will work
Old 02-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Advanced

How will it work? What will the deficiancy be? Not loud enough? Not a clean sound? How will a better amp make a difference?

Cheers!

Jay
Old 02-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by jay.k
How will it work? What will the deficiancy be? Not loud enough? Not a clean sound? How will a better amp make a difference?

Cheers!

Jay

Well its an amp hooked up to a sub so it will work....unlike our door speakers which are 4 ohm, I believe the sub is actually 1 ohm. You can check if you look on the bottom of the sub itself. If it is 1 ohm, hooking up a 4 ohm sub will cut the amps power by 4....aka it will sound like crap. If you really want to do this, then tap into the leads from the stock amp and hook up a new amp to the Kicker...From what I have read, you arent going to get much more bass at all, expecially for the amount of money and work it would require. I would get a stand alone sub in the truck before I even messed with what you are talking about.

A better amp = better and or more quality power = better control and sound from the woofer.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the explanation, OU - now I understand - I will need a new amp.

I've got the UR Ultra-SS pulley kit, which removes some of the parasitic power drain from the power-steering and alternator.

I am concerned about how much power I can add without running out of what the current alternator can provide.

Can anyone give me some guidance?

Jay
Old 02-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
As OU said.........The kicker will only give you marginal improvements over the stock sub. If you will be going through the trouble of installing a new amp, you might as well just throw a true sub/box in the trunk and consider taking out the stock sub alltogether.

Iggy
Old 02-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Advanced

What if I put in a *true* 8" or 10" sub by removing the tension bar in the trunk (so I can get one that isn't shallow) and install a new amp?

I'm keen on having the sub take up about the same space, and keeping the trunk space. I'm only looking for a bit of kick, and less vibration and *buzz* than the Bose....

Jay
Old 02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally posted by jay.k
What if I put in a *true* 8" or 10" sub by removing the tension bar in the trunk (so I can get one that isn't shallow) and install a new amp?

I'm keen on having the sub take up about the same space, and keeping the trunk space. I'm only looking for a bit of kick, and less vibration and *buzz* than the Bose....

Jay
It's been done. Search using "torsion" , lots of good writeups.

Iggy
Old 02-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you are so keen on keeping a sub in the stock location, then if you want any improvement in sound, then I would get a new amp...and get a sub that would fit, and actually build a box around it. This would take up some space, but you really arent going to get much more bass out of a freeair sub...honestly.

The only problem would be the tension bars, I dont know if they would cause a major problem with the box. Basically you need a sub in some sort of an enclosure, not just the whole trunk to get better bass and sound.

You dont have to have a huge trunk filling box to get good sound. The owner of the shop who installed my system has an '02 TL with 1 12 inch. Even with the amps and everything, there is still very much trunk space left. He has the sub directly behind the ski hole pointing toward the cabin, and it sounds really good. I would have done this, but I sometimes want to listen to my music loud...and clear, so I have 2 JL's .