i need help planning my system!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need help planning my system!!!

what im looking for is a system that'll be louder and provide better sound quality. im mostly into trance/hip-hop..

im just interested in what opinions are regarding the 6x9s in the rear deck... do i even need them if im planning on running a sub?

maybe suggestions on some components for the front and rear doors...

im a real noob, sorry.

i drive alone a lot so im actually thinking of saving some cash and just getting a 3 or 4-way amp instead of the 5 and just upgrade the front door speakers. would this be ok? or would the sound image be deeply effected?

thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Again, you have to tell them what you drive. (TSX).

Telling people what you listen to is good. That helps a lot.

You need to tell people what budget range you feel comfortable spending. Or, ask what costs what.

And if there is a system you heard that you were really impressed by, or that made a engative impression on you, talk about that.

As far asthe 6x9s, they don't help in my opinion with sound quality. You can get them to help with SPL (loudness) but they take another set of amp channels to get done right. On most budgets I'd rather duck them , IF we have a trunk sub.

I'd go with a 10" or 12" (debating between the two is kinda pointless, all drivers are different nowadays) and a two-way set up front - a 5.25 or 6.5 that FITS and a good tweeter.

As far as my recommendations, it's all about the benjamins at this point. You float a figure, I'll give you two recommendationws - a mass-market system and one we'd do.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by gCHOW

i drive alone a lot so im actually thinking of saving some cash and just getting a 3 or 4-way amp instead of the 5 and just upgrade the front door speakers. would this be ok? or would the sound image be deeply effected?

thanks!!!
I would leave the r door speakers for LAST.

Have you read this? (since you say your'e a noob):
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/car-audio-basics-sq-noobs-289959/
Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
eldude,

this thread might shed some light:https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/polk-momo-mmc690s-316772/
Old 08-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Missing Machismo

if your into trance /techno -hiphop bass is not you cup of tea --- an good 10" would do the job and not drown the lyrics if you get a 12" sub your going to need componant door speakers.to hear the lyrics and not the buuuuummmmmpppp
dont forget dynomat
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Pleasure Unit

Hip hop and trance have totally different low end requirements. Trance needs a tight low end (typically sealed box 10") and hip hop needs a boomy low end (usually ported 12"). Its going to be hard to get a decent compromise unless your installer has a specific sub arrangement for your needs. Thinking of it, a 12" sub in a sealed box might be a decent compromise for both.....

Like Eldude mentioned, forget the rear speakers and spend more on the fronts, or buy better electronics - you will never hear them anyway (at least when you drive).

What I did was get a 3 channel amp (DLS A5) with DLS components for the front and a 10" DLS sub in a sealed box (soon to be 2 subs). Very clean and tight low end with pristine mids and highs.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I Just Con't Drive 55 Mon

Originally Posted by elduderino
I would leave the r door speakers for LAST.

Have you read this? (since you say your'e a noob):
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289959
El D.....I read that Noob Thread you noted...all three pages...and my head almost exploded!...it got painful at times, like a Proctologist explaining a specific part of a anal procedure....more than I wanted to know!!!!...but I got to tell you, I'm glad you guys are passionate about your trade, so when us customers come to your shops, we are in good hands. ...PS, I got my TL back from Ron @ Streeteffectz last Thursday, we had a plan, he stayed in contact with me throughout the install, made some suggestions and changes as he went along and I got way more than I thought I would...a system that I'm totally estatic with! Your suggestion on the DLS sub was and for that I thank you...even went with a DLS 3 channel amp....it was you that convinced me to put my money on a PRO...thanx man.....g
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Pleasure Unit

Originally Posted by Fluid Grease
El D.....I read that Noob Thread you noted...all three pages...and my head almost exploded!...it got painful at times, like a Proctologist explaining a specific part of a anal procedure....more than I wanted to know!!!!...but I got to tell you, I'm glad you guys are passionate about your trade, so when us customers come to your shops, we are in good hands. ...PS, I got my TL back from Ron @ Streeteffectz last Thursday, we had a plan, he stayed in contact with me throughout the install, made some suggestions and changes as he went along and I got way more than I thought I would...a system that I'm totally estatic with! Your suggestion on the DLS sub was and for that I thank you...even went with a DLS 3 channel amp....it was you that convinced me to put my money on a PRO...thanx man.....g
What equipment did you get?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:42 PM
VP Electricity

Glad that it worked out so well for you! Congrats!

Now I just need to get more people in the Pacific NW coming to MY store ; )
Old 08-29-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by elduderino
Glad that it worked out so well for you! Congrats!

Now I just need to get more people in the Pacific NW coming to MY store ; )

Well, if you weren't so far to the left of me, that's where I would have been! sittin' on your doorstep!.....plus, I'm just not to the point where I'm Bi Coastal! ....g
Old 08-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
What equipment did you get?
I have a 2001 TL....Kenwood DDX-7017 head unit with the KNA-DV4100 Nav system......Ron@streeteffectz did that custom faceplate for it ...Polk db5250 5 1/4" components speakers in the 4 doors (B-Day Present form the wife and kids) tweeters in the sail panels up front and none in the back....Ron said they would mess up my sound stage!, just use rear speakers as fill in!...and God knows I wouldn't want to FU my sound stage ....a DLS CA 31 amp for the fronts and sub, head unit powers the rears....and a DLS W310B 10" sub in a custom "removeable" box w/DLS grill...it had to be removed because sometimes I have to carry some large travel boxes for my job....I did all this mostly for the Nav system because I travel a lot with my car for work, 35-40K a year and I wanted that "factory" look with that face plate in the dash. I got a rear camera and ran the wiring, but haven't installed it yet because I haven't figured out where the F*ck I'm putting it!....BUT the pleasant surprise was how it sounded. My XM Roady 2 really sounds awesome now because of the RCA input....the CD/DVD sound is off the charts, clarity and bass punch....and the FM, well, is FM!....don't really use it anymore, but does sound much better....I listen to Rock, Punk, Alternative with a little bit of Club mixed in and they all sound awesome to me my kids got in there and put on their Rap stuff and I heard the sub in the house with the windows closed,,,with one 10"....man, you guys with 2 12"ers, Holy Shit!....the kids in my neighborhood with the twin 12's usually shake my house windows as they go down the block....not for me though, too old for that stuff anymore! All in all, I'm freakin' over it...totally happy....now all I have to do is learn how to operate this whole thing, but that's the fun part! ....g.........PS....I'd post pics, but it's nothing all you guys haven't seen already, although I did snap a few and I will put them in the Photo Section as soon as I download them out of the camera....... Ron & Dave @ Streeteffectz did an OUTSTANDING job at a VERY REASONABLE PRICE........they had some crazy stuff in their shop when I was there, stuff you see in magazines, and we do!....... anyone who lives within a drive of Colonia, NJ should check these guys out, you won't be sorry, in fact you'll be glad you did!
Old 08-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...and God knows I wouldn't want to FU my sound stage ....