Home Stereo In Acura

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Stereo In Acura

Hey guys, i have a acura 3.2tl-s, it has the stock blose speaker system. But what i was thinking was taking my home theatre system with my floor standing speakers and putting them in the trunk. To power it i would use my technics 960 home theatre 5.1 amp and just run it on stereo mode to power my cerwin vega floor standing 100w's into each. To plug the amp in i would use a dc to ac converter the type of one you plug into the cigarette lighters, no this will only cost me about 100$ for that power adapter, but my Question is, will this work, the power rating on the dc-ac converter is 360w's i think, so would it work?
better yet is it a good idea??????
Any input is smiled upon
Old 07-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice first post... now drop the crack pipe.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

whats that supposed to mean?
you dont think its a good idea, using a system you already have instead of spendign more $??????????
Explain your logic.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont put your home system in your car... for one reason it will just look stupid and GHETTO... for one you will have all the sound coming from behind you (ie terrible imaging)... not to mention alot of other issue you will run into... house cd players skip easily... my suggestion... leave the home audio in the house and quit being cheap...
Old 07-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Yes, i understand where your coming from, but i will be running all the music out of a laptop up front, and i forgot to mention, i will be running the blose stereo and the cerwin home theatre in tandem, aka together
Old 07-21-2003, 02:33 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
LOL, all I have to say is i wanna see the pics when your done.

D.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

well im not goin for a professional look im just going for loud sound when i pop my trunk, itll jus look like two velvet carpeted floor speakers sitting in the trunk, with a laptop and a stereo where the armrest hole is in the back seat leading to the trunk.
But is there anything really ?BAD? about this, the replys im getting are pointing to yes, but im on a low budget, so wouldnt you think this would be the best idea??
Old 07-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Is plugging a laptop into a car ok? I mean those laptop sucks up a lot of juice.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

i think it will be ok the only thing im really worried about here is power consumption, with that 360 watt power supply, if im runnign stereo 100x2 then thats 200 and the laptop pwer supply says max 70w, so i think i will be pretty safe i just dont think turning off the engine would be the greatest of ideas while the stereo's two 12"'s are pumping
Old 07-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Oh my goodness, I can't believe he is serious about the system in the TL! Just when I thought I had heard it all, HAHA!!! Dude really, what are you smokin?
Old 07-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

why is it sucha bad idea, for little to no cash???
Old 07-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

The reason people think it is a bad idea is that, this is an audio and electronics forum, for a car that costs $25,000 plus. When you spend that kind of money on a car, throwing the home stereo in it to save money is not an option for most people. You bought the car because it kicks a$$ and looks good. Put your home stereo in it and people will laugh. How it would sound is an entirely different topic. Home and mobile are not meant to go together. That is why it cost $500 or more for a car DVD player and $59 for a home player. The two do not mix. There are way too many variables in the mobile environment to just throw some home equipment in.

If that is what you want to do, go for it. You may love it and that is all the really matters. Just do not expect to post about it here and not get razzed beyond belief.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Here is another good reason.

Your home stereo is for home use. Depending on where you live, it will not take the heat or cold too kindly.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

thanx vlam, and acurax2 for your replys, im gunna give it a try and i understand why some of you razzed me and thats cool, im sure you earn more thna me being that im only 17, but yea thats what my budget is like lol, still going to school and all, its just that i have spend thousands on my existing stereo, and i would just like to incorporate an awesome car and an awesome stereo, and thats a good point with the temperature, and the home theatre equipment not being able to take that possibly, but i will give it a shot, im not sure if you want me posting my opinion, but im sure there are people out there that may be thinking the same, and i feel this was not sucha useless post if others have th same question, i guess in all i took one for the team lol, for asking this question, but all of your opinions, were greatly appreciated, and i thank you for them

By the way this was my first post, i just got my 3.2tl-s used with low km and in great condition, seeing as all the km's were highway by a realtor, but you have a great site an good, forum, i will enjoy posting whatever knowledge i have to others who need it

Nice meeting all of you
BTW, this is Jeremy
Peace
Old 07-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Jeremy whats up buddy. I know u are 17 and I know how u fell and iz you smokin. I think you should just save up and buy some audio gear a nice full system can be anywhere from $800 to $$$$$. I just turned 19 welll hell almost 20 now. I really didnt get my first system till I got a job last summer and perfect sound is a must for me. So if you need any help with audio gear we will all help you out. As long as you dont have anymore crazy ideas
Old 07-22-2003, 05:05 AM
yee
Burning Brakes

hey kid I feel ya...dang I sound old from a 27... I too once thought about doing that on my Ford Explorer... thought I would drill holes and put those tiny little Bose speakers hanging from the ceiling... don't remember why I didn't do it...

anyway, you shouldn't do yours either, and there's a very plain and simple reason to it. Putting the setup in your trunks means that there's a back seat between you and whatever you're playing. It's like playing it from another room.

Also, your home amp is not design for use inside your trunk. The extreme range of the weather in T.O. is gonna kill it! The heat in summer will cook it and cold in winter will freeze it...

there are plenty of other reasons but there's no need to get there now...

honestly, the stock ain't so bad...a year ago our TL's stock system was rated one of top 10 stock systems... take your time for the upgrades man... longer stretch of time means the more time for you to do your research and the time time for you to find the perfect system for your car
Old 07-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Terayon
...being that im only 17, but yea thats what my budget is like lol, still going to school and all, its just that i have spend thousands on my existing stereo, and i would just like to incorporate an awesome car and an awesome stereo,

...but i will give it a shot...

...Nice meeting all of you...
Oye Papi... I think the root of the doubt is that you are a bit young and must learn by actual experience, even if every single reply says "Don't do it!".

I'll give you props for wanting to improve the sound of the stock system. However, the designers of your several thousand dollar home system spent years designing their product so that it can take advantage of constant temperatures, non-moving walls, and less confining "stages". If you don't care about your home system that much (i mean, you do want to leave it at the mercy of thieves in your damp trunk all day in the sun, etc..., etc...), sell it on ebay, and split the mula into a nice amp and sub for the car and a lesser system for the home (after all, you'll be spending more time in your car now with the improved -louder sound)...

The money you'll save up front... won't be enough to replace your home system in about a month...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by stiletto
Oye Papi... I think the root of the doubt is that you are a bit young and must learn by actual experience, even if every single reply says "Don't do it!".

I'll give you props for wanting to improve the sound of the stock system. However, the designers of your several thousand dollar home system spent years designing their product so that it can take advantage of constant temperatures, non-moving walls, and less confining "stages". If you don't care about your home system that much (i mean, you do want to leave it at the mercy of thieves in your damp trunk all day in the sun, etc..., etc...), sell it on ebay, and split the mula into a nice amp and sub for the car and a lesser system for the home (after all, you'll be spending more time in your car now with the improved -louder sound)...

The money you'll save up front... won't be enough to replace your home system in about a month...
agreed! i wouldnt do it either!
Old 07-22-2003, 08:22 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Just as a side note for you as well, the current draw would be to much for a DC to AC power inverter anyway. You would either blow a fuse on the cig lighter or burn up your home amp due to low current and unstable voltage. you might be able to see the home stuff and look on ebay for a good deal on some car audio. That would be your best bet i'd think.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:07 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by stiletto
... sell it on ebay, and split the mula into a nice amp and sub for the car and a lesser system for the home (after all, you'll be spending more time in your car now with the improved -louder sound)...

There's an idea... get rid of your home system, and invest into something nice.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

Thanx again for the input, your very right all of you, the weather in T.O. is pretty nuts, with extreme high's and low's, so i think i might just save up and buy a dual jbl 12" sub system for the trunk, with a nice amp of course and just run it with the bose speaker system, it isnt that bad, but i think the driver side front speaker is starting to go, so im going to see if acura will replace it 4 me, hopefully lol

Thnks again for the feedback
Jeremy
Old 07-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

One quick -Q-
What would happen if i undid the factory sub in the trunk and ran those speaker wires to a 10" ported sub?

it would still be linked to the stereo i know, but does anyone know how many watts that sub wire puts out? i have heard 25x4 for the speakers and the sub might be 50, is this true?

Sorry im dragging this on lol, but as B 4 any input is much appreciated

Jeremy
Old 07-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

the sub puts out 100 watts at 1 ohm, for aftermarket you wont be able to find a cheap sub that will be rated at 1 ohm most times you will be in the 4 ohm range, if that was the case you would be drawing in only 1/4 the wattage so you would be running 25 watts instead of 100, and chances are the sub you get which is the aftermarket will require minium of 100 to even be effective....just suck up the cash and do your system right.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

thanx man wow, what an impedience, never thought it would be 1, wow, well i tried hooking that 10"sub to an old reciever of mine which only pumps out a measly 15w and it sounded ok, hitting all frequencys, but there was definately a difference when i hooked it up to an amp pushing 100w, but i bet if i put it in it would still sound better than that little blose sub in the back.

I'll chek it out tonight, let u guys know
Jeremy
Old 07-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i think it will be ok the only thing im really worried about here is power consumption, with that 360 watt power supply, if im runnign stereo 100x2 then thats 200 and the laptop pwer supply says max 70w, so i think i will be pretty safe i just dont think turning off the engine would be the greatest of ideas while the stereo's two 12"'s are pumping

Jeremy,

Just because a receiver is rated at 200watts dosn't mean it consumes 200watts. It will usually consume somewhere aroudn 250-300 watts. So make sure your power inverter is upto it,.. THe 360watts mite not be...
Old 07-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

if u already have the stuff on hand, it never hurts to try...all you lose is time...
Old 07-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanx man wow, what an impedience, never thought it would be 1, wow, well i tried hooking that 10"sub to an old reciever of mine which only pumps out a measly 15w and it sounded ok, hitting all frequencys, but there was definately a difference when i hooked it up to an amp pushing 100w, but i bet if i put it in it would still sound better than that little blose sub in the back.

I'll chek it out tonight, let u guys know
Jeremy
hooking an amp to a 1 ohm speaker will damage the amp, its basically like a short to the amp causing it to work harder than it needs too..at the rate you are going you will waste more in your adventure than if you did it right in the first place
Old 07-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Sorry i meant i hooked it up to another amp pushing 100w not the acura one

Sorry for misleadin u
Jeremy
Old 07-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

thats wat i mean
Old 07-23-2003, 08:55 PM
2002 TL Type S

Just as a side note for you as well, the current draw would be to much for a DC to AC power inverter anyway. You would either blow a fuse on the cig lighter or burn up your home amp due to low current and unstable voltage.
I was thinking the same thing when I read it. I gotta think a home stereo amp is going to draw some serious current!!

Personally, I like the idea of selling your home stereo stuff on eBay and using the money for new car audio. Car audio is very cheap these days compared to when I was growing up (I'm 32 now)... You can get really nice amps for 1/4 what I paid back in the day. If you just need bass, that can be done on a budget for less than a couple hundred and the install will be clean.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Not hooking the acura sub up to the stereo, i mean hooking my 10" to the stereo