RL: HELP!!! how do I enter codes with a blank nav screen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
HELP!!! how do I enter codes with a blank nav screen?

I was told when I signed up that this was a very helpful community and yet it's like a ghost town here. I want to swap in a junkyard nav DVD drive that I got the codes for from the dealership. Problem is, what happens if the nav screen stays dead after I install it? How can I enter nav and radio codes without a screen to see what I'm doing?

if I'm unable to see it and can't get the codes right does it essentially brick my car? Why isn't anyone answering questions? Why doesn't Google already have an answer for this, as it seems to be a common problem? You would think there's be a whole group of Acura guys talking up their cars and bragging about the things they've done with them, but it seems like a ghost town in here...
Old 06-03-2023, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
What year RL??

Old 06-03-2023, 08:23 AM
Instructor

2005...the donor nav player is from an 06...
Old 06-03-2023, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
I love how you come here and add zero value to the community and its the forums fault that you bought some broken junk parts and want us to help.

Plus you have 6 threads about this nav screen, maybe @Ron A will wave his magic wand and help merge all of this.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-v...creen-1003211/
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-a...creen-1003088/
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2...parts-1003142/
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-v...p-cam-1003167/
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-a...tions-1003161/

In the mean time:

I was told when I signed up that this was a very helpful community and yet it's like a ghost town here
who told you that?

I want to swap in a junkyard nav DVD drive that I got the codes for from the dealership. Problem is, what happens if the nav screen stays dead after I install it?
​​​​​​​I just pulled a new nav screen and drive from an 06 at the junkyard for $30 bucks, but I'm half scared to install it because, while I snatched the vin for the 06, I don't have the nav and radio codes and I'm worried about bricking something if I try to install without them.
Any advice on how to move forward without wasting money on a navtool, yet keeping that display function for the speaker with a working clock?
hahaha it was $30 bucks man... You call the junkyard and get a working screen OR you installed it wrong.

​​​​​​​How can I enter nav and radio codes without a screen to see what I'm doing?
Well, you can't

​​​​​​​if I'm unable to see it and can't get the codes right does it essentially brick my car?
Whats your definition of brick? the car runs and drives, right?

​​​​​​​Why isn't anyone answering questions?
Because you arent asking questions we can answer

​​​​​​​Why doesn't Google already have an answer for this, as it seems to be a common problem?
Did you google why no one was answering your questions or the dead nav screen repair?

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 06-03-2023 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (06-04-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Actually there were five threads, not six, with a common topic. I deleted one and the other four are diverse enough to merit remaining open.

Also, posting a thread in one forum and then only three hours later reposting in another forum sort of raises the hackles of a lot of our members and diminishes your chances of getting the help you need. A little pattience is a good thing.

HEAVY_RL (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Thank you for the assist RonA, very much appreciate you.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
Actually there were five threads, not six, with a common topic. I deleted one and the other four are diverse enough to merit remaining open.

Also, posting a thread in one forum and then only three hours later reposting in another forum sort of raises the hackles of a lot of our members and diminishes your chances of getting the help you need. A little pattience is a good thing.
I originally posted in one forum a week before with no answer. While I did continue the thread in one forum, I had just read another post pointing out that the rl forum was fairly dead and that the op of that thread would have more luck in the general forum. As I had read in another post that the nav systems in all of these models tend to be shared across platforms, I was hoping that a broader audience would tender a faster response. I'd prefer to know for sure that I can enter these codes with the aftermarket head unit(their customer service says yes, btw) before venturing down that road and pulling my dash apart.

I'm one of those people who likes all the information before leaping into murky waters, and since it seems I'm the guinea pig for this system, I figured it was logical to try to get that support before I broke something.

This is not my first forum, but it does seem as though there is a far less developed and less enthusiastic crowd of people here than those that I have experienced previously. I'm not used to waiting more than a week for a response, even if that response is essentially an "I don't know".

By brick, I'm asking if the antitheft stuff is gonna go nuts and make the car not start if I can't get the codes entered properly, or cause some unrecoverable damage in the noticeably expensive and antiquated hardware within the nav system.

I googled dead nav screen repair and have gone through most of those stubs, but none reference what happens if you don't get the codes right, or any way to enter them when the screen stays blank.

One of the difficulties I've seen since buying this car and researching it is that there is a lot of cross chatter between models that have completely different parts and systems, and it's hard to figure out what's germane to my vehicle. Hitting the search engine tends to produce far more hits for Tl's and mdx's than rl's and it takes a bit of focus to ensure I don't read a page and a half of info before finding out that it doesn't apply to my vehicle.

Also, as I'm sure you can imagine, patience is a difficult thing when you have a "new to you" car outside and a lot of shiny parts you can't wait to shoehorn into it...

Apologies to any whose hackles I've raised. Just want to fix my car up ..

Last edited by Monkeybizness; 06-06-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Btw, I didn't say anything about it being the forum's fault that I bought junkyard parts, which at current time may or may not be functional. It's a calculated risk I'm willing to assume, because my other option is just to throw a cheap android tablet in the nav slot.

I posted as I did to get some reassurance from the most likely people to know that if I installed the junkyard nav player and it didn't fix the screen issue, I wouldn't run into a problem with code entry, because to install it you disconnect the battery, which will require codes if you reconnect.

Without a fixed screen, you just confirmed you can't enter codes, hence my question about whether or not it would brick some critical function on the car to not have the codes (like say, the ignition via the anti theft system, to be specific, which is a legitimate concern).

This car replaced my S-10 which I just sold and my F-150, while good for hauling heavy things, guzzles way too much gas for me to be comfortable in taking it every day for the 45 minute commute I have to work while trying to get this car fixed if it decided not to start without code entry. In terms of mpg V6 beats V8 hands down...the friend who bought my S-10 teases me because he's paying $40 every two weeks for that 2.2 4 cylinder...

I hope you can understand my concerns there, as I'm in the home stretch of picking up a mortgage soon, and the better my bank accounts look, the better my interest rate will be, especially in this market..$50 fillups once in a week are better than $90 fillups twice a week, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Last edited by Monkeybizness; 06-06-2023 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeybizness;[url=tel:16889562
16889562[/url]].

This is not my first forum, but it does seem as though there is a far less developed and less enthusiastic crowd of people here than those that I have experienced previously. I'm not used to waiting more than a week for a response, even if that response is essentially an "I don't know".

strange why no one wants to help you. The entitlement is strong with this one.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi

strange why no one wants to help you. The entitlement is strong with this one.
I'm just explaining my prior experience and what appearances are coming in the door. Most of the boards I've been in welcome questions such as these. And, while I may seem to give "zero value" initially, I do pay attention and share things I've learned over time. I'm sure that somewhere down the road, some new guy is gonna come in the door with similar questions to my own, and, if I figure it out, I'll be here to help him too...most of you guys didn't know these cars the day you brought it home either, and you all probably sounded a lot like me when you started out.

You can call it entitlement or just call it what it is...inexperience and uneasiness with a complex new system to learn while dealing with the real world problems that surround it.

I'm asking for enlightenment here, not demanding it, but I'm going to take offense just as any of you would when half the responses to my posts are critical of the things I say and generally mocking without offering any positivity.

​​You were all just as new to this as I was once, and it's not my first rodeo with trollish behavior.

Last edited by Monkeybizness; 06-06-2023 at 09:27 PM.
MaszTL (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Try contacting these guys at Mobile Max Car Audio. I bet they can point you in the right direction atleast. They're on Youtube as well. GL!
Old 06-06-2023, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaszTL
Try contacting these guys at Mobile Max Car Audio. I bet they can point you in the right direction atleast. They're on Youtube as well. GL!
Thanks bud...appreciate the heads up...
Old 06-07-2023, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Ok, good news is that I confirmed that not being able to enter nav codes won't affect the vehicle's mobility, as per dealership mechanic. I'll be throwing in the junkyard unit tomorrow after work to try it out. Most likely gonna throw the android head unit in over the weekend after the 2010 temp controls arrive...may temporarily run the backup cam to that head unit until I decide what path to take for the nav screen.
Saw a newer acura as well while I was there and couldn't help comparing...

Last edited by Monkeybizness; 06-07-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:41 AM
Instructor

First phase complete...nav screen fired right up with the new DVD box...had to enter the code twice for it to accept though.

I noticed that there are two empty sockets (green and black in center of pic) on the back of the unit (see picture) and an extra plug hanging off...I presume the plug is for OnStar since it's the only two prong I found in the manual. Still can't figure out what the extra sockets are for...does the factory backup cam plug into the nav box?

Gonna play with the buttons a bit and tinker through the menus before I decide on how I'm gonna replace it.

Last edited by Monkeybizness; 06-08-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:37 AM
Instructor

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Now the car won't start and it's ignoring the keyfobs...fun times, fun times...

Anyone wanna save me hours of troubleshooting and help me figure out how to reprogram the keyfobs...tried the procedure on the Acura page but it isnt working...
Old 06-08-2023, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Ok, exactly what I was afraid of happening has happened...car is essentially a brick...some kind of battery drain all of a sudden. Key fobs stopped working, none of the switches inside are working and then it wouldn't even let the key turn. Battery is down several volts as per the charger I put on it, when before it was strong at well over 12v before I threw in the nav unit.

Reading through I've seen mention of the Bluetooth module being a possible culprit. Probably going aftermarket with that, so I'll try pulling that for the time being.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Update: charging it got the car started but there's an obvious battery drain. It was enough to drop the fully charged battery from 12 to 4 volts in the matter of two hours...from what I've read, the HFL/Bluetooth doesn't drain that quickly...any idea? Only change was putting in the new nav player, so it's probably connected to that somehow...the screen had power but no display prior to that, so I doubt it's that, which led me to the peripherals such as the HFL...anything else draw a lot of power through that system which might be malfunctioning?

Last edited by Monkeybizness; 06-08-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:05 PM
Instructor

So I ran the car and went through the diagnostic menu on the nav...nothing flagged so far...car is back up and running, started again after an hour pause with no issue...will find out how it goes in the morning...

As an aside, the climate control buttons arrived today in poorer shape than I had hoped...in process of resurfacing it to clean them up...the symbols are staying on the buttons but the lettering for "mode" and "front" have rubbed off sadly. Pic is of it in the aftermarket head unit...not locked in yet because it's awaiting wrap.

Also, the backup cam that was supposed to be a direct fit clearly wasn't, so I'm just gonna go with a generic license plate style one since it's on the trunk lid anyway, and I'll drill a hole and run a sealed grommet behind the plate. We can't have everything I guess.

Old 06-10-2023, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Found a chafed wire yesterday on the harness coming out of the nav box...looked like it was up against the rail...battery drain seems to be gone now...

On a positive note I finished the wrap for the head unit. Working on shifter plate now...looks pretty good tbh and I think the darker carbon fiber will offset the wood a little better than solid gray. Had to use extra adhesion promoter around the inner bezel but it's holding quite well.

Hopefully I'll have it in by the end of the weekend, but I have to work on my friend's truck as well.