RL: Dead nav screen and integration with aftermarket head unit/backup cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Dead nav screen and integration with aftermarket head unit/backup cam

Not getting responses in RL specific forum so maybe someone here knows...

So I bought an 05 RL, and it came with a dead nav screen...power to it but no actual picture. Decided I want to go aftermarket with an android head unit anyway and a nav that allowed for Google maps or similar simply so I don't have to deal with Garmin getting me lost, as it has in the past. Basically thinking a second android head unit replacing the nav screen for specifically nav, backup cam and maybe displaying tpms.

The main unit, as pictured, will handle music, weather, a/c controls and some OBD2 functions.

I would like to keep the display under the center speaker, but I haven't figured out how to adjust the time without the nav screen functioning.

I just pulled a new nav screen and drive from an 06 at the junkyard for $30 bucks, but I'm half scared to install it because, while I snatched the vin for the 06, I don't have the nav and radio codes and I'm worried about bricking something if I try to install without them.

Any advice on how to move forward without wasting money on a navtool, yet keeping that display function for the speaker with a working clock?

Last edited by Monkeybizness; 05-30-2023 at 11:09 AM.