EQ Solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQ Solution

I just purchased an Alpine 5 ch. amp, Pioneer sub, and 4 Polk DX6's to replace the factor blose speakers/amp. I have seen people mention the rolloff mods for the speakers, but the PDF file for these seems to be missing. If anyone has it, could you PLEASE repost it on this thread.

One question... is there any other solution other than the rolloff mods/AudioLink products? Is there a simple way to simply remove the EQ on the Blose head unit? If not, which setup (rolloff or AudioLink) would yall recommend ... i do have Nav... so i would not be able to mount the audiolink in that ashtray on the non-navi cars?

thanks for your help!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Just to clear things up, the AudioLink device is the interface between the factory Bose headunit and the addition of aftermarket amps. It's basically the same as a line out converter. I had it installed under the driver's side portion of the dash.

The AudioControl Three.1 EQ I talked about in a another thread is not necessary. From my experience, the AudioLink interface takes care of the factory EQ issue. Since you have navi in your TL and still want an EQ, why not try one of the larger external ones?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the clarification, Master-G.... I actually honestly could care less about having an EQ... so what I'll probably do is just buy AudioLink interface! As long as the system sounds good, I can just live with turning the volume up and down
Old 08-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Instructor

thomascrowne82,
Please check your personal messages (PM).
Old 08-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont under stand why you cant just tap into the wires going from the headunit to the eq... this way you would effectively bypass the eq and you would still be getting a lowlevel signal so no loc would be needed... anybody that has seen the wiring schematic of the system would notice that the signal comes out of the stock headunit unamplified , goes into the eq then back into the stock headunit to be amplified... so just grab the signal the 1st time it leaves the stock headunit solder on some rca connectors and there you go... just like having rca outputs on the stock headunit...
Old 08-09-2003, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Shawhite,

There are basically two reasons why not to do the EQ bypass.

1. Using the AudioControl adaptor is much easier to do and requires no cutting or wires. Although going the adaptor route does cost more, a "plug and play" method is much more appealing.

2. Some members of the forum who did the EQ bypass experienced a significant amount of noise in the system. You can refer to the discussion here:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ight=bypassing
Old 08-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the way i am talking about is not by passing the eq it is totally eliminating the eq... you would run from the back of the radio to the amp and from the amps back to the back of the radio to plug into the harness to go to the speakers or simply run new wires str8 to the speakers... and if you go to acura and get a new wiring harness from the radio to the eq then you would not have to cut yoru stock harness.... oh and by the way i am not just saying this cuz i think it would work... one of my friends did it to his tl and it worked great...
Old 08-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Shawhite,
If that worked for your friend and he's satisfied with the results, then there's no need for him to do anything different. A lot of people experience noise issues with techniques like that but if there isn't any, then it looks like TL owners have another option. Again, some people just prefer a "plug-and-play" method though.

A couple of things that I liked about the adaptor was that it included a line driver which increases the voltage to the aftermarket amps. As some of you will know, low voltages sometimes equate to noise in the system. With a line driver installed, this significantly reduces the chances of noise entering the audio system. I'm not sure how much the stock receiver puts out, but I would guess not that much. Also, the adaptor has its own 35 Hz EQ which helps in providing that extra thump in tha trunk!