damplifier

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damplifier

Well, i just ordered 40 ft^2 of damplifier from the second skin website, i've heard nothing but good stuff about the company, so i figured i would try it. I plan on putting it on the inside and outside panels of the doors and on the rear deck, and i figured each door would take up 16 ft and the rear deck would be about 8 for two layers so that should be it. I'll take some pictures of the install and let u guys know how it sounds
Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
Are you doing the trunk too, or just the doors and deck?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Second Skin is one of the best!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

eventually i'm going to do the trunk too, but there's no sub back there yet so it isn't as much of a priority as putting it where the current speakers are, i forgot to order the overkill to put behind the speakers so i'm going to order that soon. I never realized how much sound i was losing until i had the volume up and my arm out the window, and i felt how much the door was vibrating
Old 08-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

well here it is, i got my damplifier in the mail today and did the doors, rear deck, and kind messed with the c pillar. What follows are my feelings throughout the process with pictures to accompany it.

here is the drivers door with the panel off, taking this panel off is a lot easier than taking the panel of my 1993 MX6 was

and the passenger side door:

here's the drivers door almost done, just a couple patches left but i forgot to take a picture when it was done, both the inner and outer sheet metal have damplifier on them:

and of course, the passenger side door done, my dumb ass didn't reattach the door handle lever, so now it can't open from the inside (great mod if u don't want girls getting out for whatever reason):

then I moved onto the rear deck, I started by taking out the seat cushions, which is extremely simple, all you do is pull the front of the cushions up with a little force:

sorry for the quality of this pic, this is with the seat backs and cushions out, the floor, trunk, and structural bars exposed. all it takes is undoing 4 bolts to get the console out and 2 bolts at the bottom of the seat backs. then you push the seats upwards from the bottom and they come out:

ahhh, the naked rear deck. pry off the c pillars and slide them down the seat belt, and pop out the two fastener thingies and the rear deck cover comes right off:

rear deck: damplified, DO YOU SEE? (if you saw red dragon you'll get that one):

this is how she looks from the outside:

and here's the effect it had on the door:
http://media.putfile.com/damplifier

this made a difference in many areas, but the biggest differences are ambient noise at highway speeds and how loud the stereo is with the windows down. after all of this, I have 10 square feet left, and not sure where to put them, any ideas?