Best iPod integration option

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:07 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best iPod integration option

I just picked up my new 2008 Silver Navi TSX on the 31st and was a bit pissed to find the changer doesn't do MP3s, but that was always secondary to me finding a way to hook up my iPod.

I've spent a few hours reading over all the threads on the different options for connecting my iPod to my 2008 Navi TSX but thought I'd ask the following.

Has anybody been able to get any of the available systems out there to work with navi and XM and also display track names on the navi screen? I've been reading a lot about the Neo Prolink, USA Spec, and Dice models but the Neo says text available on some systems with no mention of which ones work, the USA Spec doesn't mention text at all and the Dice says text works if you disconnect the XM. Are there any other options out there that I missed that might be better?

Thanks for any help you all can give me, and I apologize in advance if I just didn't look hard enough and there is something that has all this info already.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing is going to do that for you. I'd say Dice if you want text, but you'll lose XM. I say USA SPEC if you want ipod and xm, its the most reliable.

Your call from there.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

i got Drive+play and love it
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce
i got Drive+play and love it
Drive+play isn't integrated so even though I've heard good things its not what I'm looking for. How does the USA Spec beat the Dice/Neo, aren't they practically the same thing?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Just found this one last night...

I just got the Drive + Play online for $20....I hate having tacked on crap on my dash and console, but I was able to put the display right next to the instrument pod and it is less distracting than having to look down at the dash screen (you still take your eyes off the road, but not as bad as the screen or, heaven forbid, looking down at your iPod). It has some annoyances (after powering off, it defaults to the top menu...it will pick up play from where you left off, but you don't go back up through the menu tree level by level like on the iPod itself), but the sound quality using line-in is fantastic, and the little controller that mimics the iPod controls is fantastic.

Anyway, I found this one at autotoys...haven't tried it, and I've never seen it referenced anywhere else. But it does claim to do text on the dash screen withOUT disabling XM. Here's a link:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10496

If anyone has tried it, I'd love to hear some impressions...
Os.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 AM
4th Gear

I contacted the people at Autotoys and they won't tell me who the manufacturer is. Also only has a 90 day warranty. I'm a little bit worried to try it but might buy it just to see. I can always get American Express to fight the charge if its utter trash.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Drive + Play, in addition to a usa spec just as an aux adapter, is also a great combo.

There are even some newer ones, like a Drive + Play II, and Navi + Play.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Sorry to revive this thread, but i just started looking to integrate my iphone with my 07 nav tsx. I'm also looking for something that keeps my xm and in-dash changer fully functional, but showing ipod text on screen.

The product you saw on autotoys is this: http://www.coastaletech.com/Honda_Lockpick.htm They're the manufacturer, as I understand. That looks like the best solution to keep everything. Has anyone tried this product yet? Is it hard to install (i'm a complete newb to car electronics, but i know my way around computers and that kind of stuff)?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
for EVER more!

pianos - i looked at the link you forwarded, and that would be my #1 option. I'd like to call the company and see if they have any TSX installers that would be a referral...that sounds like my best option! I use XM and want text and control and factory appearance!

Can we try to be guinea pigs together on this?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Sounds like a plan! are you going to do it yourself? I hate using that stupid aux jack with my ipod... ugh
Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

I've never heard of that device. If it does work as advertised, it would be the new king on the block. The website is way too shady for me to put any trust in it upfront without seeing a customer guinea pig on it.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

I agree. they need a new web programmer; it's not the 90's anymore. However, there's always credit card chargeback if i have a problem with them so i figure it's worth a shot...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
for EVER more!

What i think is that we should convince them that sending us one for evaluation will promise them more sales. If its as easy as installing a USA Spec or Dice, I can guinea pig my system for this. Is there anyway to search (google?) to find out if someone on another board has installed and used this thing or if they have any REAL testimonials?

Not everyone is a van gogh with the HTML. :-)
Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

ha i'm def not an html'r, but it is 2008... I mean i almost got a seizure reading the honda lockpick page!!!

anyway, i ordered one last night, i couldn't take it anymore. I did do a little googling (coastaletech, lockpick, etc) and found a few message boards regarding the company and a few about the product we want. I would say about 70% bad, 30% good. Most of the bad ones were about the company and how their support sucks and you can't get a hold of them (thank god for amex, though, so i'm not worried).

Posts that i read about the ipod lockpick were generally positive; a few "glitches" with the nav controls, but it generally worked as advertised. I was thinking, though, I'm specifically looking for something that leaves my XM and cd changer intact, and i would still like ipod text on screen. If i have to forgo some quality, well, then so be it. I hope. We'll see next week....

Good idea about the "test" unit, but seriously, good luck getting in touch with them....
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

My 5 year old cousin makes better web pages.

Tell them Acurazine will review it if you'd like, but I doubt they'd send us one. Someone just step up and guinea it.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 AM
for EVER more!

Well, Pianos, looks like you're biting the bullet (and so is amex)
Thanks for that - I can't wait to hear/see/read your experience

SIDENOTE - dag i wish i had put my lending tree consultation on an amex - i decided to refinance my home with my bank instead and those bastards are giving Citi Mastercard a hell of a show for my $600 they don't deserve. The commercial should be "When banks compete for your money, Lending Tree wins!"
Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I can't remember who did the mod, but if you could look it up, it might be worth your while. Sometime last year, I remember seeing a post of someone who had a custom built (possibly by themselves) dock that 'attached' to the right side of the center dash around where the big door is. It charged and played the iPod simultaneously, but I honestly can't remember if it was integrated for the tracks to show on the screen. It was a pretty nifty and clean mod though.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM
for EVER more!

that was JaxFLTsx
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Instructor

i think he is talking about the one from Honduh Chicken or somethign like that.

He hacked up a JLO homedock Deluxe. Basically ran ipod video out to the nav screen. But the JLO dock does song info, menus, etc all on the screen, unlike the apple dock.

SOrry i dont have a link, short on time, but do a search for " why cant acura integrate ipod, i did" or something like that was the thread title
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

So.... I installed the ipod lockpick yesterday... First off, it was the EASIEST thing to install (thanks to Honda, i guess). The CD storage compartment under the radio pops right out and the OEM XM harness cable is RIGHT there. I have a nav, so i don't know if the non-nav is different. The OEM XM cable plugs into the included Y-cable, and that plugs into the lockpick and also the XM plug on the radio.

HOWEVER.... it doesn't quite work as it should... I'm putting a call into them later, but we'll see...

After setting the dip switches correctly (for XM or non-XM) I plugged everything in... My ipod and my iphone recognize that there's an accessory attached, and it does charge. Switching to the XM input i do hear my ipod playing, but nothing comes up on the nav screen (song text-wise) and i can't use ANY radio buttons (steering wheel or otherwise) to change the song. I also can't switch between "simple mode" and "regular mode" which lets you control the ipod remotely or directly. So.... i'm not sure what's wrong, but since it was SO easy to install i'm guessing that it's just not as good as we though....

I'll keep ya posted...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pianos101
After setting the dip switches correctly (for XM or non-XM) I plugged everything in... My ipod and my iphone recognize that there's an accessory attached, and it does charge. Switching to the XM input i do hear my ipod playing, but nothing comes up on the nav screen (song text-wise) and i can't use ANY radio buttons (steering wheel or otherwise) to change the song. I also can't switch between "simple mode" and "regular mode" which lets you control the ipod remotely or directly. So.... i'm not sure what's wrong, but since it was SO easy to install i'm guessing that it's just not as good as we though...
I just had the same experience with the Dice i-Honda-R4 kit (non-Silver line) with my new '08 TSX w/Navi and while I've got a replacement Dice kit on the way to see if that fixes some issues, one thing I was doing was not unplugging the XM receiver in the trunk - I was just leaving the original connection disconnected from the Y adapter. Once I plugged that back in and disconnected the XM receiver, the Nav screen would at least respond and the iPod would play through XM1, but I never got text on screen.. just "XM Loading" which never went away.

As far as changing tracks, I had to use the Tune knob.. the steering wheel controls wouldn't work.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

However, the Dice is COMPLETELY different. We're trying the lockpick device to keep our xm intact. I, for one, LOVE my xm and would never choose my ipod over my xm.... The lockpick is supposed to let both operate and have both display text on screen, without changing plugs or anything.... I think, though, that i can't have my cake and eat it too (though i did just have a piece a cake, but it wasn't mine...)
Old 03-11-2008, 03:52 PM
for EVER more!

ugh - Pianos - didn't know you had NAV - I have Non-Navi - wonder if it would work...ahhh dont want to buy and install something taht does not work.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 AM
4th Gear

Well its looking like the Lockpick isn't going to solve my problem either... I'm looking forward to hearing if your device is broken or if it just doesn't work the way they advertise for the 07' and 08' with navi and XM.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Be Yourself: Be Present

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump

any word piano?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

So.... it turns out they never "tested" it on an acura tsx with nav. however, they were willing to send an engineer up here (to PA) and have him recode the lockpick on the fly to my car. I really didn't want the hassle, though. As of a few days ago they told me that they just got an accord with nav to test, so i think in the next few weeks or so that might be working, fwiw... I think i'll wait a few months and see if they got it to work with a tsx nav and go from there... i think there's a lot of potential, though, as i did get some of the features to work it just looked like a (simple) software fix on their hardware....
Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM
here comes the snow!

not sure if this will help any of you guys, but if you dont already have navi, you may want to think about the jvc exad kd-nx5000.

it has nav, but beyond that it has a built in harddrive. you can copy mp3's or wma's to the harddisk. when playing back mp3 files that have been copied to the harddrive the headunit will display artist, track title, and i think even album title.

it has 24 gigs of harddrive space and no need for extra cables or connections.

i already have more music on this thing than i can listen to.

just my 2cents.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Be Yourself: Be Present

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thx pianos!

Guinnea pig status has been achieved, lol.

I think i'll go with the DICE. I don't need XM; I just want text on my navi screen and full integration.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I used Honduh Chicken's install on my 08 Nav. Mine install was a fraction of his though because I use the Zune and it has tv out on it. It cost me probably $20 to do as well. I can email you his install as a PDF if you want. I can't find the link on here anymore. It's gone.