Anyone have a XM ROADY installed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004 | 06:59 PM
4th Gear

Anyone have a XM ROADY installed?

I have a 03-CL with navi and I just got a Roady.

- I can't find any room to put the Roady where it looks nice. Any ideas?

- I don't like using the cassette adapter, did anyone direct connect it? How?

Thanks

- J
Old 01-05-2004 | 08:42 PM

Im going to install a Roady in my 03 TL-S. I was going to install it in the sunglass holder and you can get a blitzsafe adapter and that will take place of the cassette. www.logjamelectronics.com has the best prices...

I will be doing the install in a week or 2 so I will post pics when done...
Old 01-05-2004 | 08:45 PM
98 2.3cl

Don't know exactly where'd you install it but, you can get the delphi fm modulator anywhere they sell the roady or original skyfi unit. then you will have it integraded with your ignition so it will turn on and off with your car so you dont have to go through the lighter either. it's prety easy to hook up; only 3 wires, acc, constant and ground. You will gain sound quality too over the tape adaptor.
Old 02-08-2004 | 06:46 AM
Cruisin'

I have the Roady installed. It's awesome. I put it in the sunglass holder, connected it through the factory stereo with an adapter from www.autotoys.com. I put the antenna on the sliding panel below the sunroof. You cant see it from the outside, and works great for reception there. When I get my digital camera back I'll post some pics.
Old 02-08-2004 | 06:55 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Originally posted by Craigster
I put the antenna on the sliding panel below the sunroof.
Do you have to close the panel to use the radio or can it receive the signal with the thing pushed back and the antenna under the car's roof?
Old 02-08-2004 | 04:51 PM
4th Gear

Waiting to see the pics. I just might do the same.
Old 02-09-2004 | 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

If you put it towards the very front, the is a metal reinforcement rim or something that the antenna sticks to. If you put it here, you can open the slider almost all the way, maybe an inch or so until wide open. It seems to work fine that way, and it doesnt slide around because the antenna's magnet hold it there. I have a friend with a factory XM in his CTS, and he gets about the same dropouts in the same areas that I do. If a lose the signal 3 times in a day thats a lot, and its never more than a second or two anyway. I'd much rather put up with that than sticking it on the roof.

Im sure it will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to mount one INSIDE the rear spoiler....
Old 02-15-2004 | 10:37 AM
Racer

I'm thinkin of purchasing the Roady also, please keep us all posted and post pictures as soon as you guys can.

THNX
Old 02-18-2004 | 04:42 PM
Pro

If you put it towards the very front, the is a metal reinforcement rim or something that the antenna sticks to. If you put it here, you can open the slider almost all the way, maybe an inch or so until wide open. It seems to work fine that way, and it doesnt slide around because the antenna's magnet hold it there. I have a friend with a factory XM in his CTS, and he gets about the same dropouts in the same areas that I do. If a lose the signal 3 times in a day thats a lot, and its never more than a second or two anyway. I'd much rather put up with that than sticking it on the roof.

Im sure it will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to mount one INSIDE the rear spoiler....
Please post pics! This is exactly what I want to do!

thanks,
DG
Old 02-18-2004 | 04:53 PM
Pro

Please post pics! This is exactly what I want to do!

thanks,
DG
Old 02-20-2004 | 07:30 AM
Cruisin'

Ive received a few pms asking how I did my Roady. I'd like to post some pics, but my camera fried. For anyone interested, here is what I did, hope it helps.

It is much easier than it sounds.
Before I started I got the following, which you will need:

1-12ft 1/8 stereo to RCA (I got mine from CablesAmerica.Com)
1- Blitzsafe Acura/Honda adapter (from autotoys.com)
1- Delphi Hardwire kit from myradiostore.com

1) I ran the wires onder the headliner, down the A piller and under the dash. The A pillar cover just snaps off giving you easy access.
2) Remove the sunglass holder by pushing it to one side until it comes loose.
3) Pop off the spot light cover. Remove the four screws and drop the light/sunglass/homelink assembly.
4) Slide the sunroof cover open about half way (If you open the sunroof it is easier).Place the antenna on the metal strip. Now slide the cover back until the antenna makes contact with the car. This will show you how much slack to leave for the antenna.
5) Run the antenna wire to the side under the headliner molding up to the sunglass holder area.
6) Run the wires from the power adapter and Blitzsafe adapter up the A piller, under the headliner to the sunglass holder area.
7) Drill a small hole in the top of the sunglass holder area to pull the wires through.
8) Mount the Roady in the holder using the double stick tape supplied. I scraped off the foam first, and cutaway a piece of the plastic for better access.
7) Pull the wires through, screw the assembly back in.
8) Attach the wires
9) Replace A pillar cover
10) Enjoy the tunes

Total time 30 minutes
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:25 PM
2004 Euro Cup Champions