Adding Amp and Sub? Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Amp and Sub? Will it work?

Hey all, just wanted to know if adding a sub and amp would make a difference to the stock speakers.
I really don't want to change out my door speakers and rears and all that. I just want to add a sub for bass, and get a high-powered amp to push the sub and add more power to my speakers. Will that work? Can the inner speakers handle more power that an amp could provide? I don't want to change the headunit either. Basically, keeping the stock system but just adding an amp and sub. Does anyone know if it will add more power and help my inner speakers get louder and stay clear? And will it be able to push the sub?
Thanks

-Rob
Old 08-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You can't amp the stock speakers. Definitely a no-no on the Blowz, um Bose system.

I say go with sub and amp combo and leave the stock speakers alone till you're ready to upgrade.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Why not?

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
You can't amp the stock speakers. Definitely a no-no on the Blowz, um Bose system.

I say go with sub and amp combo and leave the stock speakers alone till you're ready to upgrade.
So would the problem be that the speakers can't handle the power? I'm not trying to run so much power through it, i just want the music to be louder and clearer. Is there ANY way to improve the sound inside? I do want the sub for the bass but i really want to separate the bass from the inner speakers. Anyway, just let me know what a good set up would be without having to change out the current stock system. Thanks!

-Rob
Old 08-19-2002, 01:41 AM
Advanced

Dude the only way your gonna get louder on the inside is new speakers, the stock one are geared to not really put out any bass so they can be as loud as they are(so not sure about the separation of bass from them that you want), and unless your putting 2 w7's in they should be plenty loud, I have 1 JL w6 v2 with a JL 501 amp, sounds sweet with my stock speakers. Anyway bottom line is don't try giving more power to the door speakers it wont make you happy, you want louder replace them and while your at it pick up a hearing aid, you'll need it eventually.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by BlackTLS420
Dude the only way your gonna get louder on the inside is new speakers, the stock one are geared to not really put out any bass so they can be as loud as they are(so not sure about the separation of bass from them that you want), and unless your putting 2 w7's in they should be plenty loud, I have 1 JL w6 v2 with a JL 501 amp, sounds sweet with my stock speakers. Anyway bottom line is don't try giving more power to the door speakers it wont make you happy, you want louder replace them and while your at it pick up a hearing aid, you'll need it eventually.
I don't know if i explained what I want very well.... I mean, i DO NOT want bass pushing through my door speakers or inner speakers at all. I want it SEPERATED so the bass ONLY plays through the subs. But I want more high end power, not a lot, just slighty more power going to the door speakers and rear speakers for the high's. Maybe it doesn't work like that, but i don't know a lot about car audio. I just want the inside mid's and high's to be louder and clearer without bass, and I want my low's to be pushed through the subs. Is that possible?
Thanks for your help!

-Rob
Old 08-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, you can splice into your preamp sub's wire and use it as input for your new amp to feed your new sub..I did this using the Kicker RMB8. Bass is a lot more prominent than the crappy stock "Blose" sub. I also swapped out all my speakers with Polk DX6 for better sound quality. Extremely happy with the package upgrade for only $350 or so.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Why not?

Originally posted by ChillRobP

So would the problem be that the speakers can't handle the power? I'm not trying to run so much power through it, i just want the music to be louder and clearer. Is there ANY way to improve the sound inside? I do want the sub for the bass but i really want to separate the bass from the inner speakers. Anyway, just let me know what a good set up would be without having to change out the current stock system. Thanks!

-Rob

You sound just like me about a year ago. I first system in the TL was a Infinity 10" sub wit 280 rms amp, then I went to 300 watts RMS wit a Infinity 12". I just wanted my music louder and clearer. I am always in it for the sound quility. THen I got rid of the 12 and got 2 Alpine Type S 10"s wit 450 watts RMS and added Clarion tweeters up front. Now I was like I neeed for mids and highs. Right now i am about 1000 in the hole and have a Alll Alpine setup in my car. I got Alpine type R components up front.
Type R 2 way coaxils in the back. and one type R 12 inch sub wit 400 watt kenwood amp. Also today i ordered the alpine headunit that flips out i believe its called CDA7897 or something it the 600 dolllar one on crutchfield. So i started off just like u and wanted to keep much stock as possible and now I Just put a huge smile on the peoples alpine face. I have spent $1900 on parts so far and predict the labor to install everyhing to be around 600- 1000 dollars and for a freshmen in college this is a huge expense.

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2002, 02:22 AM
Burning Brakes

maybe he needs a cross-over so it can separate high, mid, and base...can somebody confirm this??
Old 08-25-2002, 03:03 PM
wpf
Cruisin'

HELP!! Randomwalk or Drcookie Question Please

I am getting ready to install RMB8 and rockford fosgate 200m amp to my 03 TL-P with Nav.

Parts are ordered.

I just looked in the trunk after viewing this photo from drcookie amp photo . In the picture the amp is to the left. In my TL there is a boxed out area where the amp is going so it wouldn't fit flush there. On the left side it is flush with the back seat and the amp could fit there.

Also inside that boxed area on the left is a small rectangular box with wires attached- is that the sub-amp? Any way I'm a little confused and just liked to be prepared before the install. I haven't pulled the back seat off yet.

Also does the sub grill just pull off?

Thanks for feedback
Old 08-25-2002, 05:06 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heh dnd2984. I was like that with my last car I kept on patchworking it. This time around, I just plain out blew a chunk of flow for what I 'thought' I wouldn't want to upgrade from anymore. Now what happens? I'm looking to add stuff.

you can never be pleased with your system. Its always a downward spiral Only a matter of time.. let it draw you in, chillrobP .. resist not! heh .. heh .. anyway, good luck, chillrobp.

as for your question, most people dont' recommend amplifying the stock speakers because well, if you're adventurous enough to take the door apart to look at them, you'd probably reconsider. bass or no bass. Maybe if you're frustrated with the bass, you can put in a pair of those 'bass blockers' that crutchfield sells? Or make your own capacitor crossover to high pass the speakers That way, you can cut out muddy bass while leaving the rest of the system alone.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: HELP!! Randomwalk or Drcookie Question Please

Originally posted by wpf
I am getting ready to install RMB8 and rockford fosgate 200m amp to my 03 TL-P with Nav.

Parts are ordered.

I just looked in the trunk after viewing this photo from drcookie amp photo . In the picture the amp is to the left. In my TL there is a boxed out area where the amp is going so it wouldn't fit flush there. On the left side it is flush with the back seat and the amp could fit there.

Also inside that boxed area on the left is a small rectangular box with wires attached- is that the sub-amp? Any way I'm a little confused and just liked to be prepared before the install. I haven't pulled the back seat off yet.

Also does the sub grill just pull off?

Thanks for feedback

wpf,
sorry for the delay. I did not notice you have a question for me.

Anyway, the RF amp can be installed on the right hand side of the trunk as well. The reason I put it on the left side because the 12v wire comes in through the driver side. If you need to install on the right side, just pull the wire a little longer.

I am not quite sure the question on the second part. Could you rephrase it ?

Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers !!!
Old 08-26-2002, 11:16 AM
wpf
Cruisin'

thanks for the reply,

Since your amp is on the left does that mean it does not fit flush against the back of the seat and stand out a little away from the seat.

As I had said there is a boxed out area on the left side of the hatch where the amp is going so it wouldn't fit flush there. I assume you have that boxed out area also- I have a 03 TL-p w/ nav. On the right side the back of the seat is flush with the pass through hatch where the left is boxed out 4inches or so.

I know this is a little confusing its hard to describe in 3d

thanks for the help
Old 08-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

wpf,
I'm a little confused with your question. You mentioned that the amp you got won't fit flush into the left side like the one of DrCookie? Since you have navi, the left side (top) of the trunk is taken by the navi so you will have to mount it like that on the right side (top). You can use a few zipties and just find a good mounting place for it. Another option is to mount it like the in the pic. (is that what you have done?)
Also, stock amp is "hidden" in the back seat so you have to take the back seat out to see it. The little black box you mentioned is something else. The stock amp is about that size but has a metallic casing with the word "Blowz" written on it.